PDA

View Full Version : Help! I've been offered a Job in Tenerife and I need to know if it's any good

tasha555
31-07-2011, 20:49
Got offered a interview for a job selling holidays through telecoms in tenerife.
The basic pay is 400 euros but you can earn more on top of that if you get bookings ect..
They find the accommodation which is 275 euros per week average between 4 people ( I Think)..
They said they'd help set us up with a NIE and other basic stuff but didnt mention any fee's for this,after reading up on a forum theres a fee i think for getting sorted out to work over in tenerife..

Can anyone give me their opinions on this,i was planning on booking my flight this week to go out in mid august,im currently in no job and have no income coming in only what i've got paid from my last job...

Help....

P.S,my sister got accepted for the job also and we was going out together to try this job out..

dokgolf
31-07-2011, 21:05
Hi Tasha, if you can say who this company is and where they are based, I'm sure there will be someone here who might know more about them.

Tenerife Blade
31-07-2011, 21:06
I think the rental rate sounds very expensive. If it's only you and your sister, you can pick up a 2 bed apartment for about €600 per month, or much less if you're prepared to live outside Los Cris, Las Americas. My mate has a 2 bed apartment in Los Abrigos, and pays €350 per month for it.

tasha555
31-07-2011, 21:08
Its for G C Resorts.I've just emailed them asking a bit more about any fee's on NIE and getting us setted up over there.
Yea the rent is very expensive and i was going to look for something alot cheap when i got over there because i cant live off 400Euros and paying out $275 for rent,its mental :(

DapaTenerife
31-07-2011, 21:23
is it 400euros per month or week?

tasha555
31-07-2011, 21:25
is it 400euros per month or week?

a month basic pay can earn more if i get bookings ect

sleepy
31-07-2011, 21:31
i cant live off 400Euros and paying out $275 for rent,its mental :(

Is that €400 per week or month?
Anyway if you want my advice, don't be fooled by any of it.You'll last about five minutes if you don't sell and then finding alternative employment is by no means easy.

tasha555
31-07-2011, 21:34
Is that €400 per week or month?
Anyway if you want my advice, don't be fooled by any of it.You'll last about five minutes if you don't sell and then finding alternative employment is by no means easy.

monthly :(

Jimandsi
31-07-2011, 21:38
Suggest you do a bit of research via Google before you buy your plane ticket :whistle:

tasha555
31-07-2011, 21:41
Suggest you do a bit of research via Google before you buy your plane ticket :whistle:
Tried to but there's no forums about the company only one thread i've seen from a employer who was advertising on their behalf,didnt say much on there.

Jimandsi
31-07-2011, 21:47
Don't believe everything you read on a forum for starters, but do keep googling the company name for information.

tasha555
31-07-2011, 21:50
Don't believe everything you read on a forum for starters, but do keep googling the company name for information.

I've spent 4 weeks googling and trying to find out details,no luck at all.Heard roomers about them being timeshare which they say they aren't ect.
Just waiting really for a reply from the company to give me more details,just hope someone here know's about them or worked for them i guess.

cainaries
31-07-2011, 21:53
And they can't find anyone in Tenerife to do this work? Plenty of people in the Canaries looking for work ... unemployment rate here extremely high. If you do decide to come I would definitely have a Plan B.

Jimandsi
31-07-2011, 21:55
I found out plenty of information about them within 2 minutes :(

tasha555
31-07-2011, 21:55
And they can't find anyone in Tenerife to do this work? Plenty of people in the Canaries looking for work ... unemployment rate here extremely high. If you do decide to come I would definitely have a Plan B.

Well they are looking for english speaker i think mostly to call people in the UK to offer them the holidays ect..

I found out plenty of information about them within 2 minutes :(

Link me? I cannot find jack all tbh.

AL JAY
31-07-2011, 21:56
They have one site in Tenerife and 2 in Gran Canaria and appear on here as a cold calling timeshare company. Seeing you don't have any money to tide you over, I don't think it is wise at this time and with no experience to come over and try it,I think you would be back home within a fortnight. I would normally say give it a try if you had some money behind you but you have to eat,get to and from work and with no money i think you would soon become disillusioned and Tenerife can be a tough place to be with no money and you can't afford to fly home. Sorry if i've dampened your spirits!

http://www.tatoc.co.uk/consumer-help/cold-callers

I have just noticed your post above- I found this info in under 60 seconds, if you couldn't find it you wouldn't even last a day.

tasha555
31-07-2011, 21:59
They have one site in Tenerife and 2 in Gran Canaria and appear on here as a cold calling timeshare company. Seeing you don't have any money to tide you over, I don't think it is wise at this time and with no experience to come over and try it,I think you would be back home within a fortnight. I would normally say give it a try if you had some money behind you but you have to eat,get to and from work and with no money i think you would soon become disillusioned and Tenerife can be a tough place to be with no money and you can't afford to fly home. Sorry if i've dampened your spirits!

Yea i've seen that also..I've had experience in call centre and working aboard (Even tho it was different work i was doing aboard and the company was based in the UK) But your right i have about £300 from my last job,and was just gonna get by out there for the first month as they said they'd lend us money and we'd be paid weekly for the first month to help us get by..
Just not sure what to do anymore as i'd like to get back out aboard and start working and start a new life really.

tasha555
31-07-2011, 22:04
I have just noticed your post above- I found this info in under 60 seconds, if you couldn't find it you wouldn't even last a day.
Yep i did also say about reading that sites said they were timeshare lol.

tonypub
31-07-2011, 22:08
if it dont work out.the bar below me are always lookin for staffrolleyes2:

Goforgold
31-07-2011, 22:10
Got offered a interview for a job selling holidays through telecoms in tenerife.
The basic pay is 400 euros but you can earn more on top of that if you get bookings ect..
They find the accommodation which is 275 euros per week average between 4 people ( I Think)..
They said they'd help set us up with a NIE and other basic stuff but didnt mention any fee's for this,after reading up on a forum theres a fee i think for getting sorted out to work over in tenerife..

Can anyone give me their opinions on this,i was planning on booking my flight this week to go out in mid august,im currently in no job and have no income coming in only what i've got paid from my last job...

Help....

P.S,my sister got accepted for the job also and we was going out together to try this job out..

What you waiting for - get on that plane!!! ;)

I wonder if a pet rat is involved here? ;)

AL JAY
31-07-2011, 22:29
I would give the same advice no matter what the job entailed, Whether it be PR/any commision based job...just don't come if you don't have any money...end of

YOUNG GOLFER
31-07-2011, 22:42

Help....

You say they find accomodation at 275 per week ....works out around 1.100€ (which is just crazy)...yet they give you 400€ a month....and if not 4 people then it becomes very expensive.

Why not just come over here with friend or friends rent a 1 bedroom which will sleep 4 for around 450 euros approx 25 pounds a weeks each.....then chance your luck at finding work.

By my sums telecoms is on a win win.

TenerifeTeddy
31-07-2011, 23:30
My sincere apologies peeps, it appears I closed the thread accidentally when moving it:o. Opened again now :)

dokgolf
31-07-2011, 23:49
Yea i've seen that also..I've had experience in call centre and working aboard (Even tho it was different work i was doing aboard and the company was based in the UK) But your right i have about £300 from my last job,and was just gonna get by out there for the first month as they said they'd lend us money and we'd be paid weekly for the first month to help us get by..
Just not sure what to do anymore as i'd like to get back out aboard and start working and start a new life really.

To be honest, this smells to high heaven. This is exactly the thing that prostitution rings tell eastern European girls to get them to come over. Once here, they have them over a barrel. I'm not saying this is the case here, but if you were my sister/daughter, I would be advising strongly against it.

TenerifeTeddy
01-08-2011, 00:06
To be honest, this smells to high heaven. This is exactly the thing that prostitution rings tell eastern European girls to get them to come over. Once here, they have them over a barrel. I'm not saying this is the case here, but if you were my sister/daughter, I would be advising strongly against it.

IMPO I don´t think you are right in your assumption here, as it does seem to be a "genuine" company. However the terms of employment scream exploitation, as €400 a month or €100 a week is not a living wage by any stretch of the imagination. Obviously the only way to earn is to sell, but if you dont sell then they will bin you without a moments hesitation. I certainly wouldn´t believe them about "lending" you money to tide you over. Telesales is a most unforgiving environment and the staff turn over massive.

As several others have pointed out, Tenerife can be an unforgiving place if you have no money.

If you can afford to come here for a month, then do so and look upon it as a holiday, but spend your time looking for work. If you find it great, stay on and enjoy, but if you don´t then go back, and save up for another attempt later. You don´t have to give up the dream.

doreen
01-08-2011, 07:40
Its for G C Resorts.I've just emailed them asking a bit more about any fee's on NIE and getting us setted up over there.
Yea the rent is very expensive and i was going to look for something alot cheap when i got over there because i cant live off 400Euros and paying out $275 for rent,its mental :(

We do have a member on here who works (worked?) for them in their new expanded offices in Adeje .... they advertised on here too for workers and denied being a timeshare outfit, but they do seem to cold call people who have owned timeshare weeks to try to sell "holidays" (Holiday Club) or was it "give legal advice"

Jackie
01-08-2011, 08:15
To the OP, I worked for them when they first opened and you are correct there WAS a basic of 100 euros per week regardless of any deals you got. I loved working there as many of you know from previous threads but I left due to the working hours changing as they were not suitable for me. I have since heard that the 100 euros basic is only paid now if you get at least 2 deals per week, so no deals no money for the week :(

They offer holidays at a discounted rate but not all of their resorts/hotels are Timeshare, so it is entirely up to the Customer where they travel to as they have many resorts/hotels worldwide, they do not have to go where GC say they have to go. Obviously they are hoping that the customer will go to a timeshare resort with the prospect of buying something so they earn their commission from the resort but there is no telling people where to go. They do also offer customers who are looking to sell their timeshare legal advice in three of the resorts they own, one here and two in Gran Canaria.

Just before I left I know they was starting a large advertising campaign in the UK for experienced telemarketers as a lot of people that started after me who already lived here had little or no experience and therefore where not bringing in the deals but where still being paid the basic. This is obviously why they changed the pay structure. If you get deals then the commission/spiffs on top of your basic are very good but if you need the weekly basic to survive here as the OP obviously does then this is not the job for you. In all honesty I would not do this kind of work if paying my rent/mortgage or eating relied on me getting deals.

I did this work because I have no mortgage, my bills are covered every month and to be honest I was getting bored, so there was no pressure on me at all which I think also helped because I was getting deals every week, it may be a totally different story if when you go into work the first thing you are thinking is of how many deals you need to get to be able to 'live'. So OP if you paying your rent/eating etc. will be reliant on what you earn then I would say don't do it, if you have enough money to survive without putting pressure on yourself at work every day then go for it.

Ed3229
01-08-2011, 08:43
Would you take this kind of job in the UK .....?? NO............so why risk being stuck away from home.. Save your money and go over for a long holiday to look for work.
Just make sure you save enough money to buy a ticket home.

doreen
01-08-2011, 10:46
To the OP, I worked for them when they first opened and you are correct there WAS a basic of 100 euros per week regardless of any deals you got. I loved working there as many of you know from previous threads but I left due to the working hours changing as they were not suitable for me. I have since heard that the 100 euros basic is only paid now if you get at least 2 deals per week, so no deals no money for the week :(

I did this work because I have no mortgage, my bills are covered every month and to be honest I was getting bored, so there was no pressure on me at all which I think also helped because I was getting deals every week, it may be a totally different story if when you go into work the first thing you are thinking is of how many deals you need to get to be able to 'live'. So OP if you paying your rent/eating etc. will be reliant on what you earn then I would say don't do it, if you have enough money to survive without putting pressure on yourself at work every day then go for it.

Well, you won't get a better answer than that ... power of the forum to be able to share essential knowledge such as this :)

West mids tyke
01-08-2011, 10:59
this job sounds too good to be true and reminds me of an experience i learnt from in the UK 11 years ago, 400 euros is poor and if you have to pay rent out of it you will most probably be struggling to survive in tenerife. I took a job on a similar basis working security at heathrow which was said to be £16000 a year which in 2000 was a lot of money to me so i went through all the interviews all the speal theycome out with and took a big gamble to move from yorkshire to london, basically i gave up everything up north to take this job doing baggage screening and profiling etc at heathrow airport. we were told at the interview it would be shared accomadation which was true but the standard of housing was poor, we were told 8 hour shifts NOT TRUE ended up being 15 hour plus days just to earn a wage because when we got our first payslip, money had been taken out for training, uniform accomadation which left me and some of the lads i shared the house with with not a lot to live on and survive in that scary monopolis of london, i lasted 4 months doing that job before i moved on to work for National Express and London Underground earning proper money and sort of surviving in London, so OP please be wary do your research for this job because its a long way to go to end up on the streets or back in England, the sun's nice but the work dont sound true ebnough. Some of the advice you have been given please take heed , hope you make the right decision

tasha555
01-08-2011, 11:15
Thanks for the advice,and thanks jackie for popping by on this post,my mam read through these this morning and told me im not going lol.
I agree the wage is ridiculous,also where they say about "lending" money for flights and accom,is false,cause when i spoke to the women on the phone and said would they pay for flights which means id have more than enough cash for the first two weeks out there,she said she could not do that incase i changed my mind,lol.
Ah well,guess im gonna book myself a two week holiday somewhere with my granch before i apply for a job over here in the UK..

Mawkin
01-08-2011, 14:16
Thanks for the advice,and thanks jackie for popping by on this post,my mam read through these this morning and told me im not going lol.
I agree the wage is ridiculous,also where they say about "lending" money for flights and accom,is false,cause when i spoke to the women on the phone and said would they pay for flights which means id have more than enough cash for the first two weeks out there,she said she could not do that incase i changed my mind,lol.
Ah well,guess im gonna book myself a two week holiday somewhere with my granch before i apply for a job over here in the UK..

I think this time your Mam has give you very good advice and just enjoy your holiday.

Jackie
02-08-2011, 08:00
I wouldn't think this will make any difference to the OP but I have found out from my 'informer' ;) that some people do still receive their 100 euros weekly basic regardless of whether they get any deals. They are a selected few apparently but those that DON"T receive the basic each week because they are not getting deals are unaware of this. Can see the poo hitting the fan when they do find out. Also the properties that they will be renting to their workers are also owned by the company. Seems they win all ways. Sad to say but it seems this company has gone the way of so many others out here. I can honestly say when I worked for them not long after they set up it was a lovely place to work with a great atmosphere among the bosses and the staff, just glad I left before all this started.