PDA

View Full Version : Tenerife first timers!

wislon999888
01-08-2011, 01:16
Well me and my girlfriend have just booked to go to Tenerife on Saturday for 10 nights for a little extra break. Staying in a quite part called playa las arenas near los gigantes.

anyone been to this area?

what is the weather like in the area because there seems to be a big north south split with this being neither north or south really...

Thanks.

PS never been to Tenerife so are looking forward to trying somewhere different.

junglejim
01-08-2011, 01:56
Welcome to Forum!!
I think you'll find it's classed as South - tends to be sunnier and warmer than North in summer - a fair bit quieter than PDLA -there are local buses to take you about adjacent areas and all over Island if you want to explore .
Iīm sure there will be others who can contribute more on area coming along !

tonypub
01-08-2011, 03:24
the dark side:o

Stoney
01-08-2011, 10:03
Hope you enjoy quiet holidays, if you do this is the place:sleeping:

Goforgold
01-08-2011, 10:08
Be careful of the rats............... :)

Must be the time of year, but there are a lot of 'couples' coming out to Tenerife at the moment who haven't done their homework ???

wislon999888
01-08-2011, 10:51
Yeah wanted a quiet holiday because we have just come back from a couple of hectic holidays so just wanna chill out. Been to magaluf for 2 weeks back for 3days then marmaris for 2weeks. Just told the travel agent somewhere quiet n sunny, wasnt bothered which country or area, just fancied a peaceful break to finish off the holidays. Do you guys think its not a nice area then?

mamamaz
01-08-2011, 11:00
Hi and welcome to the forum. I think the Los Gigantes ares is lovely - it was the first place we came to nearly 20 years ago for our silver wedding anniversary. We stayed at the Hotel Los Gigantes and visited all the surrounding area. We went back there several years running taking our daughters and son with us. My younger daughter loved Tenerife so much she moved over 7 years ago and lives near Las Galletas so we still get to visit this lovely island at least 3 times a year. Hope you enjoy your holiday and I'm sure you will have lovely weather and a relaxing time.

wislon999888
01-08-2011, 11:10
Thanks for that. After a couple of hectic holidays with our friends we just want to chill out just me and her.

Zara
01-08-2011, 11:18
Thanks for that. After a couple of hectic holidays with our friends we just want to chill out just me and her.

That's good there is not much to do there but if you go into Los Gigantes you will be able to take excursions should you want a day out, or perhaps a boat trip. I have friends who put on excellent entertainment at Route 66 every night except Friday and there are some nice restaurants around the 3 resorts. As someone once said in his blog about this whole area, (I paraphrase) if your beans have to be Heinz and your beer Tetley you will love it.

wislon999888
01-08-2011, 11:26
Yeah we heard a taxi to los gigantes was only a few quid so maybe a couple of trips there and see other areas close by. Is the weather warmer than the north here? Also what do people mean about rats? Is it a bit of a dirty area? Thanks for your help everyone.

Zara
01-08-2011, 12:22
Yeah we heard a taxi to los gigantes was only a few quid so maybe a couple of trips there and see other areas close by. Is the weather warmer than the north here? Also what do people mean about rats? Is it a bit of a dirty area? Thanks for your help everyone.

If you are young and fit you donīt need a taxi you can walk, your hotel will tell you where the short cuts are through to Puerto Santiago and then across Crab Island onto Los Gigantes. Donīt do it at night the first time or you might get lost, but try it out during the day.

The weather at this time of year is similar all over the island so I doubt you would notice whether it was a degree or two warmer or cooler anywhere, just HOT.

I have never seen any rats (other than a few of the human kind :wow:) and Playa L'Arena although quiet is a very clean little town. Do try the Flor del Drago restaurant and say Hi to Julio (it is below the Playa L'Arena Hotel), also try out the Chicken Shack in Puerto Santiago, it belongs to Steve who is a Brit and the spicy chicken is really really good. :yum:

wislon999888
01-08-2011, 12:45
Well we are both 21 and pretty keen athletes too so a walk will be on the cards then, thank you for the help and i do love my spicey chicken so I have taken a note of that place and its in the suitcase :D.

Im sure we will have a great time and i am sure we have been to worse places. I have had a little look around using street view and there seems a couple of places to eat and drink so what more do you need. We are both really looking forward to it and who knows, this time next week we could be tenerife addicts lol.

We are going all inclusive but we go this way for drinks rather than food and tend to eat out most nights. Ive also heard its a little bit expensive but oh well, thats what you work all year for I say.

Zara
01-08-2011, 13:05
If you walk into Puerto Santiago have a word with Karen (blonde curly hair) the PR for the San Francisco, she is not at all pushy but will tell you what the good deals are. You will probably get a 3 course meal for under €10. Drinks are not the cheapest in Route 66 but the entertainment is excellent (do watch your bill though because they run tabs for each table and you donīt want to get yours mixed up with someone elses LOL). The Wine Bar at the Harbour Club has good food and a Sunday roast is around €12 for 2 courses or €15 or 3 courses.

wislon999888
01-08-2011, 13:19
Thanks again zara. Thats not too bad at all then, was thinking a standard meal would be around 15€ so im really happy with the sound of that.

Had a bad experience with a tab at a bar once, the experience was made worse with the realisation that the bar tab was in fact correct and ours :( lol. We really will check out the places you say as we have never been so any extra guidance is a massive help. Heard that there is some nice landscape not too far from where we are staying too so would like to see some of this.

Basically Magaluf and marmaris have both been so similar, big group of people with lots of bars etc. We want this holiday to be completely different with it just being us two.

Anybody else going to this area this summer?

Harmonicaman
01-08-2011, 19:14
That's good there is not much to do there but if you go into Los Gigantes you will be able to take excursions should you want a day out, or perhaps a boat trip. I have friends who put on excellent entertainment at Route 66 every night except Friday and there are some nice restaurants around the 3 resorts. As someone once said in his blog about this whole area, (I paraphrase) if your beans have to be Heinz and your beer Tetley you will love it.

If you are young and fit you donīt need a taxi you can walk, your hotel will tell you where the short cuts are through to Puerto Santiago and then across Crab Island onto Los Gigantes. Donīt do it at night the first time or you might get lost, but try it out during the day.

The weather at this time of year is similar all over the island so I doubt you would notice whether it was a degree or two warmer or cooler anywhere, just HOT.

I have never seen any rats (other than a few of the human kind :wow:) and Playa L'Arena although quiet is a very clean little town. Do try the Flor del Drago restaurant and say Hi to Julio (it is below the Playa L'Arena Hotel), also try out the Chicken Shack in Puerto Santiago, it belongs to Steve who is a Brit and the spicy chicken is really really good. :yum:

If you walk into Puerto Santiago have a word with Karen (blonde curly hair) the PR for the San Francisco, she is not at all pushy but will tell you what the good deals are. You will probably get a 3 course meal for under €10. Drinks are not the cheapest in Route 66 but the entertainment is excellent (do watch your bill though because they run tabs for each table and you donīt want to get yours mixed up with someone elses LOL). The Wine Bar at the Harbour Club has good food and a Sunday roast is around €12 for 2 courses or €15 or 3 courses.

Uptowngirl was looking for a new Excursion PR Zara...get in there!:D

MaxineC
01-08-2011, 20:10
Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, and after Magaluf you will find it very clean and quiet... ;)

KirstyJay
10-08-2011, 11:28
The beach in Play de la Arena has free wifi if you ask the lifeguard for the passkey. ;)

The sea is a little choppy there. If you want it a little more subdued, then los Gigantes or Playa san Juan beaches are better. I would not recommend Arena beach for small children, but adults are fine there. :)