PDA

View Full Version : How do I get English TV on my large satellite dish in Tenerife?

Bekki
01-08-2011, 09:15
Hello! Just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice about UK TV channels here, we have quite a large dish on our apartment and I'm trying to find out the best way to get some English channels. I've heard about all different types of systems but dont actually know where to start looking etc. Any help would be great! Thanks :)

Stoney
01-08-2011, 09:34
Have a word with Premier Satellites or Miller Rentals

Bekki
01-08-2011, 09:40
Okay thanks will do

Tojack
01-08-2011, 09:42
How big is the dish?

wahay
01-08-2011, 13:42
if you have a sky dish and card you can get itv and itv+ and bbc1 sports on it

timmylish
01-08-2011, 14:30
You have an internet connection so just get a VPN and watch all the UK telly you want thru your computer and an HDMI cable to you big screen telly without the bother of cards, dishes or being ripped off by "legal" distributors.here!

wahay
01-08-2011, 14:46
i use this on the internet dont need vpn ... http://myiplayer.com/home.php

MaxineC
01-08-2011, 15:51
i use this on the internet dont need vpn ... http://myiplayer.com/home.php

It can be prone to suddenly getting the stream cut off though, especially when watching sports and when the channels get wind of it.... For the small cost of a vpn you have know such problems.

Bekki
01-08-2011, 19:23
Sorry to sound thick but.. What's a VPN?? I've called a few places today and they're all about the same €200 for a box and €100 for installation.

timmylish
02-08-2011, 01:09
Sorry to sound thick but.. What's a VPN?? I've called a few places today and they're all about the same €200 for a box and €100 for installation.

First of all the "free" web site is ok for occasional viewing (I have it for back but rarely use it) as it can be very hit and miss (after all its just a guy like you and me distributing his tv feeds or others he finds on the internet).
In answer to your question I am showing here the web site of my VPN which has worked for me without interruption for nearly 3 years (I forgot monthly once!) and at the cost of 6 quid per month its a steal. No boxes, dishes, plates, knives or forks needed.
http://vpnuk.net/
I should say that this protection helps with internet banking!

julia44
02-08-2011, 05:40
If you know someone in the UK get them to buy a freeview box and card, I did this it was about 40 pounds for the box and 20 for the card but that it posted out to the person in the uk. then just put the white wire into the back of the box and there is somewhere on the dish to plug the other end in.
I get all the BBC channels, ITV1, 2+1, 4, C4, C5 and the 5 USA ones

Muppet
02-08-2011, 10:03
The point here though is that the OP has still not told us the size of the "quite large" dish she has. Bekki - Unless it is a 3 metre (or thereabouts) dish it will not receive the BBC and ITV channels, nor Sky 1 and others, therefore there is no point in you obtaining a Sky Box and card from the UK. New dishes of that size do not come cheap either - 2 grand or more.

Without a dish of the correct size you have two options. The "questionably legal" BBC System as it is called here, whereby you buy (for 600 ish) or rent for (40/50 ish/month) a system which, subject to where you live exactly will give you BBC1&2 ITV Channel 4 & 5 (when it is working!), or alternatively you get yourself a VPN so you can log into the BBC and ITV on-line players - VPN details as previous post but you will need a reasonably decent ADSL internet connection/speed for this to be succesful.

Otherwise, you do what most of us do which is use BitTorrent to download the programmes which are really important to you, and accept that you now live in Spain where the TV is Spanish. That said, about 70% of the TDT channels (aka Freeview) provide the original language alongside the dubbed Spanish tracks. Most shows are American rather than British, though.