PDA

View Full Version : A solution to stop tail gaters

woodchip68
01-08-2011, 20:59
After watching a Panorama episode a couple of weeks ago on crash for cash, I purchased an accident black box camera for my UK car from amazon for 50 quid. I made a sticker for the back of my car saying "Accident CCTV in operation" and placed it on the bumper.

OMG, all of a sudden it was a pleasure to drive without ever looking into the eyes of the person behind or getting out of the car at traffic lights to see if I was actually towing them.

I then purchased another for my car in Tenerife and put a sticker on the back saying "PRECAUCIÓN ACCIDENTE CCTV GRABACIÓN".

For the next two weeks my car had an incurable highly contagious disease. Cars would drive right up my dairy aire on the TF1, see the sticker and back right off and some even changed lanes.

I have never been in a RTA in the UK as I tend to keep my distance and most other drivers respect that space.

In Tenerife I leave the same safe distance and it gets filled by a stupid driver, so I leave a safe distance and it gets filled by another stupid driver. Aswell as towing the car behind. I have been rear ended twice in twelve months.

The last two weeks were glorious safer driving.

dokgolf
01-08-2011, 21:03
That's a great idea. I used to brake test the guy who tailgated deliberately ( I mean the ones who just enjoy it, refuse to back off even when hazards are on and refuse to overtake when given the opportunity). I know some people will criticise me for doing this. Now I have a sticker that says " Get off my ****, I'll move in when its safe to do so"

Suej
01-08-2011, 21:15
After watching a Panorama episode a couple of weeks ago on crash for cash, I purchased an accident black box camera for my UK car from amazon for 50 quid. I made a sticker for the back of my car saying "Accident CCTV in operation" and placed it on the bumper.

OMG, all of a sudden it was a pleasure to drive without ever looking into the eyes of the person behind or getting out of the car at traffic lights to see if I was actually towing them.

I then purchased another for my car in Tenerife and put a sticker on the back saying "PRECAUCIÓN ACCIDENTE CCTV GRABACIÓN".

For the next two weeks my car had an incurable highly contagious disease. Cars would drive right up my dairy aire on the TF1, see the sticker and back right off and some even changed lanes.

I have never been in a RTA in the UK as I tend to keep my distance and most other drivers respect that space.

In Tenerife I leave the same safe distance and it gets filled by a stupid driver, so I leave a safe distance and it gets filled by another stupid driver. Aswell as towing the car behind. I have been rear ended twice in twelve months.

The last two weeks were glorious safer driving.
Where did you buy the sticker in Tenerife please?:wink2:

woodchip68
01-08-2011, 21:17
The brake test is the reason for the back end of my landcruiser being smash into. A car four cars ahead was being gated and he showed his brake lights and the gating driver slammed on. so did the other cars including me.****CRUNCH**** Who caused the accident? the gater or the driver in front of him. The driver that sowed his brakes had long gone when the accident happened. Not any more!!! My accident camera will record it all. The camera fits just under my mirror and starts recording in HD as soon as I start the car. The date and time are on the recording. My spanish solicitor said that it can be used for evidence. The accident I had is still in court as the driver that ran into me is saying that I just stopped in the road for no reason. I had no evidence. NOW I DO.

slodgedad
Where did you buy the sticker in Tenerife please?:wink2:

Business opportunity, maybe??

Leam_Lin
When I get a tail gater, I keep my foot on the accelerator & with my left foot keep tipping the brakes, they soon get the message.

dokgolf
01-08-2011, 21:22
The brake test is the reason for the back end of my landcruiser being smash into. A car four cars ahead was being gated and he showed his brake lights and the gating driver slammed on. so did the other cars including me.****CRUNCH**** Who caused the accident? the gater or the driver in front of him. The driver that sowed his brakes had long gone when the accident happened. Not any more!!! My accident camera will record it all. The camera fits just under my mirror and starts recording in HD as soon as I start the car. The date and time are on the recording. My spanish solicitor said that it can be used for evidence. The accident I had is still in court as the driver that ran into me is saying that I just stopped in the road for no reason. I had no evidence. NOW I DO.

I've actually stopped the practise. Now, I'm not trying to be smart or pedantic or in any way impolite, but if all the cars rear ended each other, then, was each driver keeping a safe distance from the car in front? The guy who brake tested originally, ( and I'm not trying to defend him), technically didn't break the law ( morally, I would be on your side here).

woodchip68
01-08-2011, 21:24
I printed it 4 times on an A4 sticky label (quarter page) and covered it with clear fablon. I left about 5mm of fablon over the paper sticker so that water would not get to the paper when it rained. As for the sticker, I designed it myself

dokgolf
01-08-2011, 21:26

Do you have another camera pointing to the rear or does the one under your mirror point that way. If so, what do you do if you have another "accident" similar to the one above i.e. everyone slamming on? You would need 2 cameras then,no?

Added after 2 minutes:

I printed it 4 times on an A4 sticky label (quarter page) and covered it with clear fablon. I left about 5mm of fablon over the paper sticker so that water would not get to the paper when it rained. As for the sticker, I designed it myself

Nice sticker, Slodgedad might have something there!

woodchip68
01-08-2011, 21:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHpqhXzrIFc&NR=1

doreen
01-08-2011, 21:30
I've actually stopped the practise. Now, I'm not trying to be smart or pedantic or in any way impolite, but if all the cars rear ended each other, then, was each driver keeping a safe distance from the car in front? The guy who brake tested originally, ( and I'm not trying to defend him), technically didn't break the law ( morally, I would be on your side here).

Got to admit, I tap the brakes when they don't respond to warning lights ... and am pretty fed up too with the (safe) gap I leave being filled in - but as it is, I let it grow again. I am driven around a lot during work and it is one of my first rules - please leave a safe distance ... or you will be fed up with my nagging ... even the two Canarian guys are starting to use indicators now ;)

woodchip68
01-08-2011, 21:35
Do you have another camera pointing to the rear or does the one under your mirror point that way. If so, what do you do if you have another "accident" similar to the one above i.e. everyone slamming on? You would need 2 cameras then,no?

Added after 2 minutes:

Nice sticker, Slodgedad might have something there!

Some black box cameras have front and rear. See amazon. They now deliver to tenerife
My car in the UK now has a bus CCTV system fitted. It has front, rear, left and right cameras. it records my indicators, brake light and speed.

Vortex Wake
01-08-2011, 22:11
Smartphone apps can allow similar recording capabilities with Gps and speed data too .

Autoguard is the app I use.

timmylish
02-08-2011, 00:49
Some black box cameras have front and rear. See amazon. They now deliver to tenerife
My car in the UK now has a bus CCTV system fitted. It has front, rear, left and right cameras. it records my indicators, brake light and speed.

Try as I may I cannot find anything suitable, with decent buyers comments, from Amazon.

canarianchicken
02-08-2011, 01:22
I usually flash my fog lights, they think it is the brake lights and generally fall back, however, I love the sticker idea. I am definitely going to use it, thank you.

uptowngirl
02-08-2011, 01:55
Business opportunity, maybe??

Absolutely!!! I would be a customer!!!

When I get a tail gater, I keep my foot on the accelerator & with my left foot keep tipping the brakes, they soon get the message.

I am fearless when driving (ex female rally driver championship finalist) and would take anyone on who gave me **** on the road, but now I have baby on board it really scares me when these idiots drive like this. Do what you want to me, but hurt my baby and I am likely to kill you!!!:scared:

I remember one a few years ago who dangerously undertook me then went in front and slammed his anchors on, causing lots of fumes from his brake pads!!

Leam_Lin
02-08-2011, 08:22
Absolutely!!! I would be a customer!!!

I am fearless when driving (ex female rally driver championship finalist) and would take anyone on who gave me **** on the road, but now I have baby on board it really scares me when these idiots drive like this. Do what you want to me, but hurt my baby and I am likely to kill you!!!:scared:

I remember one a few years ago who dangerously undertook me then went in front and slammed his anchors on, causing lots of fumes from his brake pads!!

When my grandaughters are in the car I wouldn't do it, another thing I find in England, if its my right of way, at an island or overtaking parked cars, some blokes especially foreigners & taxi drivers always think its their right of way.
No way, if its mine i'm going first.

woodchip68
02-08-2011, 09:03
Try as I may I cannot find anything suitable, with decent buyers comments, from Amazon.

Search for "car hd dvr". Most of the comments are about the resolution. I sometimes wonder what people expect for 50 quid. If you want super res the buy the t-eye ADR3000 for 230 smackaroonies. Ya pays ya money.... mine is the 41.99 one and its perfect for the price and the CCTV picture quality is spot on ((((***CCTV picture quality***))))

Remember, your not taking a picture on your phone, it doesnt matter how many megapixels it is. Most CCTV systems have a slower FPS usually 24.

You are buying a camera that is recording evidence that you did not cause the accident for you insurance company to use as defense.

If the camera is placed under your mirror, the driver behind can see it through your rear window. That, and the warning sticker. Priceless

princessmonika
02-08-2011, 14:09
i have taking a photo of your sticker on my computer and printed it on photo paper , it came out great 4/6 thanks will put in the car

Added after 9 minutes:

what is the camera called --and how does it record,

woodchip68
02-08-2011, 15:16
i have taking a photo of your sticker on my computer and printed it on photo paper , it came out great 4/6 thanks will put in the car

Added after 9 minutes:

what is the camera called --and how does it record,

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VEfdA39SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1509-Mounting-recorder-Dashboard-Accident/dp/B004KI3FWI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312294341&sr=8-1

timmylish
02-08-2011, 15:55
68. Yes, I had looked closely at this one and tbh rather thought it strange people commenting on this ones picture quality at this price!
I,ll probably end up getting this one. Many thanks. Oh btw. Is the electrical supply taken from the main board of the car rather than thru' the fag lighter and having a cable hanging down the windscreen.

princessmonika
02-08-2011, 16:34
is there a card in it , or do you have to buy one

woodchip68
02-08-2011, 17:53
The unit has its own rechargable battery. it comes with a usb charger for the lighter, but you can get a 3m usb extension from the chinese shop and run it around the wind screen. if you hard wire it or use an extension, the unit starts recording as soon as you start the engine. If you use the internal battery (2hr life) you have to press ok to start/stop recoding. It records on an sd card (not inc) in sequential 5 minute wmv files. About 6 HD files on a 4Gb SD card. Once the card is full it writes over the first file, second... etc.

Note, you only need the file that something happened on, and you can lock files so the are not over writen.

The screen only needs to be down when you are checking the files. It still records with the monitor up.

Hope this helps.

My intention for this thread: If more of us have this system in our cars and have the sticker on the back, the hope is it will make the stupid drivers think twice when they ride up our back sides without any regard for safety and the lives of our children. If they believe you are recording potential evidence against them, they will be weary of you and stay away and the next cam car, and the next cam car, and the next cam car etc.... There arnt many trafico cops on the road, but we can become part of their number by creating eyes on the road for them.

princessmonika
02-08-2011, 18:00
i read about that mini vehicle dvr on amazon.uk it does not get a good writeup -- but there are many different models --well at the moment the sticker will do--

woodchip68
02-08-2011, 18:06
Smartphone apps can allow similar recording capabilities with Gps and speed data too .

Autoguard is the app I use.

I just had a look at the store on my iphone and i was quite suprised to find about 6 apps that did this, there really is an app for that. The only problems i can see with this idea is battery life and remembering to set it up before you drive. "I'm only nipping to the shop and its only two minutes away, I cant be bothered setting it up for such a short trip" You turn a corner and a p*** head walks in front of your car. ???? How much is that 69 pence App worth now?

Added after 2 minutes:

i read about that mini vehicle dvr on amazon.uk it does not get a good writeup -- but there are many different models --well at the moment the sticker will do--

As I commented earlier in the thread

"I sometimes wonder what people expect for 50 quid. If you want super res the buy the t-eye ADR3000 for 230 smackaroonies. Ya pays ya money.... mine is the 41.99 one and its perfect for the price and the CCTV picture quality is spot on ((((***CCTV picture quality***))))

Remember, your not taking a picture on your phone, it doesnt matter how many megapixels it is. Most CCTV systems have a slower FPS usually 24. "

woodchip68
03-08-2011, 11:39
A better quality sticker

woodchip68
07-08-2011, 20:13
More of us that use the sticker will hopefuly make the roads safer

marbro8
07-08-2011, 21:09
Search for "car hd dvr". Most of the comments are about the resolution. I sometimes wonder what people expect for 50 quid. If you want super res the buy the t-eye ADR3000 for 230 smackaroonies. Ya pays ya money.... mine is the 41.99 one and its perfect for the price and the CCTV picture quality is spot on ((((***CCTV picture quality***))))

Remember, your not taking a picture on your phone, it doesnt matter how many megapixels it is. Most CCTV systems have a slower FPS usually 24.

You are buying a camera that is recording evidence that you did not cause the accident for you insurance company to use as defense.

If the camera is placed under your mirror, the driver behind can see it through your rear window. That, and the warning sticker. Pricelessi was under the impression that anyone crashing into the back of you was automatically at fault, so why the need for a camera?i have been involved in about 4 crashes where people have ploughed into the back of my vehicle and have won every one, i even won one where the driver backed into me!! but i have noticed that a lot of insurance company's now go for a 50/50 fault just to save the time and expence of a costly court case;)

woodchip68
07-08-2011, 21:55
i was under the impression that anyone crashing into the back of you was automatically at fault, so why the need for a camera?i have been involved in about 4 crashes where people have ploughed into the back of my vehicle and have won every one, i even won one where the driver backed into me!! but i have noticed that a lot of insurance company's now go for a 50/50 fault just to save the time and expence of a costly court case;)

The camera doesnt go at the back. it goes on your windshield facing forward. It looks like my case is being ruled against me because the driver that ran into the back of me is saying that I just stopped on the TF1 for no reason. There is no mention of the four cars in front of me because when trafico arrived, they had gone.
Other senarios:
A crazy driver overtakes you at speed, spots a danger and slams on, you run into the back of him.....whos at fault?
A drunk falls of a pavement in front of your car and you dont have enough time to react......whos at fault?
You drive a white clio, another white clio undertakes you at great speed, minutes later Trafico are behind you flashing their light, you are pulled over for speeding.....where is your evidence that it was not you?
A crazy driver cuts you off at a junction causing you to break suddenly, car behind runs into you.....
You are at a junction behind another car, the road becomes clear and he moves off, just as you move forward he brakes for a dog that has run in front of him and you hit him...........
A child suddenly appears between two cars......there are no witnesses to see what happened.......

Why do you need a camera at the back? You dont, but they dont know that.

I however, am not being stung again. I have a bus blackbox recorder with 4 cameras. front back left right. Or you could buy from Maplins - 4 channel DVR 12v £129 and 4 small night vision cameras £19each.
Too expensive?
How much is the excess on your insurance?
How much will that lawer cost you if you hit a drunk with no evdence?
How much will you save your insurance company and will it bring you premium down?
I drive a Ferrari 612 6Ltr V12 560Bhp 0-200mph in ten seconds....... tracker fitted = insurance dropped 40%. Blackbox recorder fitted = another 20%. my fully comp premium in the UK is now £862 from £1450 with full NCB

Food for thought, I hope.

marbro8
07-08-2011, 22:01
The camera doesnt go at the back. it goes on your windshield facing forward. It looks like my case is being ruled against me because the driver that ran into the back of me is saying that I just stopped on the TF1 for no reason. There is no mention of the four cars in front of me because when trafico arrived, they had gone.
Other senarios:
A crazy driver overtakes you at speed, spots a danger and slams on, you run into the back of him.....whos at fault?
A drunk falls of a pavement in front of your car and you dont have enough time to react......whos at fault?
You drive a white clio, another white clio undertakes you at great speed, minutes later Trafico are behind you flashing their light, you are pulled over for speeding.....where is your evidence that it was not you?
A crazy driver cuts you off at a junction causing you to break suddenly, car behind runs into you.....
You are at a junction behind another car, the road becomes clear and he moves off, just as you move forward he brakes for a dog that has run in front of him and you hit him...........
A child suddenly appears between two cars......there are no witnesses to see what happened.......

Why do you need a camera at the back? You dont, but they dont know that.

I however, am not being stung again. I have a bus blackbox recorder with 4 cameras. front back left right. Or you could buy from Maplins - 4 channel DVR 12v £129 and 4 small night vision cameras £19each.
Too expensive?
How much is the excess on your insurance?
How much will that lawer cost you if you hit a drunk with no evdence?
How much will you save your insurance company and will it bring you premium down?
I drive a Ferrari 612 6Ltr V12 560Bhp 0-200mph in ten seconds....... tracker fitted = insurance dropped 40%. Blackbox recorder fitted = another 20%. my fully comp premium in the UK is now £862 from £1450 with full NCB

Food for thought, I hope. fair point:D

woodchip68
08-08-2011, 19:24
Y:tiphat:ur welcome

Ecky Thump
08-08-2011, 20:31
The simplest way to stop "Tailgaters" is to drive a lot faster than them!:D

woodchip68
08-08-2011, 21:15
Ah! but not if theres 6 cars in front of you 1 metre apart and one has just moved into your safe space

Steve-Tap
14-08-2011, 10:18
I find a photo of my mother in law in the rear window has the same effect and cost a lot less than 50 euro lol. Scares the crap out of everyone

TIS
14-08-2011, 10:37
I totally disagree. If some idiot is up your rear end it is entirely their fault if they hit your car, irrespective of whether you have touched your brakes to warn him that he is too close or if in fact you did need to do an emergency stop. The law is quite clear on this and it why the police are stopping tailgaters more these days too.

If the car in front had a rearfacing camera to prove the idiots bad driving, all the better.

We all know how frustrating it is to have somebody crawling along in the fast lane at say 70 ks when he can do 120ks, but you have no right to force him/her off the road.

MaxineC
14-08-2011, 13:15
I find a photo of my mother in law in the rear window has the same effect and cost a lot less than 50 euro lol. Scares the crap out of everyone

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

onelegnofeet
14-08-2011, 16:26
I usually stick my legs up through the sun roof !!!......i suppose others could use some from a manaquin

woodchip68
14-08-2011, 20:50
I totally disagree. If some idiot is up your rear end it is entirely their fault if they hit your car, irrespective of whether you have touched your brakes to warn him that he is too close or if in fact you did need to do an emergency stop. The law is quite clear on this and it why the police are stopping tailgaters more these days too.

If the car in front had a rearfacing camera to prove the idiots bad driving, all the better.

We all know how frustrating it is to have somebody crawling along in the fast lane at say 70 ks when he can do 120ks, but you have no right to force him/her off the road.

Its all well and good to say that you should keep your distance. I always try to. However, when I do some idiot always fills the gap. If that driver then slams on his brakes after filling your safe space in hot weather, your stopping distance is increased by approx 3 metres in hot weather and you stand a good chance that you will hit him. Hence the camera in the front.

Im not concerned about evidence against the driver at the rear. Fault goes without saying, but I am concerned about having evidence in the above senario.

TIS
14-08-2011, 22:28
Its all well and good to say that you should keep your distance. I always try to. However, when I do some idiot always fills the gap. If that driver then slams on his brakes after filling your safe space in hot weather, your stopping distance is increased by approx 3 metres in hot weather and you stand a good chance that you will hit him. Hence the camera in the front.

Im not concerned about evidence against the driver at the rear. Fault goes without saying, but I am concerned about having evidence in the above senario.
In that case Woodchip, I agree with you. The problem here is they would have to have moved in just before the accident for your CCTV evidence to support you, otherwise I suspect their lawyer would argue that if the CCTV shows that they moved into the space and you didn't create sufficient space in a "reasonable" amount of time you'd be held liable still - unjust as this would be. YOur CCTV could therefore work agianst your case.