PDA

View Full Version : Advice please re: Lightweight Wheelchair with Brake - UK

Goforgold
02-08-2011, 16:28
A close family friend is terminally ill and been admitted to a local Hospice. He has been coming home for a few hours at weekends. He is being released today to spend his last days at home with the family.

The problem is the wheelchair they have loaned my friend is too heavy for her to handle and she has now hurt her back. We've just found out that the Hospice don't have any other type they can loan her.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced such a problem and has any ideas as to where we could buy, borrow or hire a lightweight one with a brake.

Thanks.

Mawkin
02-08-2011, 17:22
A close family friend is terminally ill and been admitted to a local Hospice. He has been coming home for a few hours at weekends. He is being released today to spend his last days at home with the family.

The problem is the wheelchair they have loaned my friend is too heavy for her to handle and she has now hurt her back. We've just found out that the Hospice don't have any other type they can loan her.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced such a problem and has any ideas as to where we could buy, borrow or hire a lightweight one with a brake.

Thanks.

Have you tried the local Red Cross they may be able to help as I have borrowed in the past from our local branch in exchange for a donation.

Good Luck

Goforgold
02-08-2011, 17:54
Have you tried the local Red Cross they may be able to help as I have borrowed in the past from our local branch in exchange for a donation.

Good Luck

Thanks for your response Mawkin and also thanks to the members who contacted me by PM.

It seems the Red Cross are the people to contact, I've given them a call but they are now closed for the day, so will try again tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Megaloo
02-08-2011, 22:39
I was going to say the Red Cross but sometimes their's can be heavy, but a lot of the mobility shops in the Uk hire them out and you do get lightweight ones.

I say this as I was in a shop back in June when I was in England a few weeks ago and they were doing a good trade with people hiring out wheelchairs and they looked the same as I was purchasing so lightweight.

I just looked up wheelchair suppliers in the locality I was in.

Goforgold
03-08-2011, 08:03
Thanks Megaloo, I'll see what I can find today.