PDA

View Full Version : Hi everybody, advice needed about getting healthcare in Tenerife on a UK pension

Tenerifelass
03-08-2011, 12:49
Hello Everybody,
I am new to this so a big hi to all of u guys.
I need some advice please.

I am a pensioner and receive my pension back home in England. I have my NIE doc and social security number sorted now, but when I go to the health centre they say that I am entitled to health care only if I work here in Spain! They say that my social security number is not active so I cant access health care!! Can somebody advise what I should do...where else should I register?
Also, I have a used memory stick through Fedex and they tell me that I should activate my NIE number with the tax office to be able to receive my memory stick! can somebody help me understand why/where I should activate my NIE to receive a second hand memory stick which is worth less than 4 pounds?!!
Cheers
TenerifeLass

Balcony
03-08-2011, 13:07
Yoiu may have to have your pension paid into a Spanish bank - which, sadly, will incur you in extra bank charges. A private pension then no longer becomes taxable in the UK, but it is taxable in Spain as it is regarded as income. A UK government pension is taxable in the UK and to avoid double taxation in Spain you need to contact the UK Tax authorities. See a gestor in Tenerife who will be able to help resolve onward admin.

Essentially, you need to get both feet in Tenerife rather than trying to keep one in the UK. You have to show you are a proper resident in one or the other!

Goldenmaniac
03-08-2011, 13:26
Hello Everybody,
I am new to this so a big hi to all of u guys.
I need some advice please.

I am a pensioner and receive my pension back home in England. I have my NIE doc and social security number sorted now, but when I go to the health centre they say that I am entitled to health care only if I work here in Spain! They say that my social security number is not active so I cant access health care!! Can somebody advise what I should do...where else should I register?
Also, I have a used memory stick through Fedex and they tell me that I should activate my NIE number with the tax office to be able to receive my memory stick! can somebody help me understand why/where I should activate my NIE to receive a second hand memory stick which is worth less than 4 pounds?!!
Cheers
TenerifeLass
---------------------------------------------------------
OK one at a time -
You can have your pension paid where you wish, but in order to get social health care cover you must ask the UK authorities for an S1 and then process that here see info here http://www.diana-mcglone.com/health.htm#S1-E121 and in order to get the S1 processed you need a green certificate of registration (residencia). If you have a UK state pension they will send you the S1 as a matter of right. Once processed here this means that the UK fund your health care but Spain provides it.

Regards the activation - this is a taxation matter not an immigration or health one.
All imports to the Canary Iskands attract import duty because of the protectionist import tax we suffer and the different sales tax (VAT) regime which we have which is called IGIC.
You have been unlucky in getting nabbed! Some people get loads of parcels through others get caught.
You would need to go to the hacienda and take your documents and apply for "Etiquetas" bar code labels - you can then put one of these on the form the post office or courier needs you to fill in.

You may have to have your pension paid into a Spanish bank - which, sadly, will incur you in extra bank charges. A private pension then no longer becomes taxable in the UK, but it is taxable in Spain as it is regarded as income. A UK government pension is taxable in the UK and to avoid double taxation in Spain you need to contact the UK Tax authorities. See a gestor in Tenerife who will be able to help resolve onward admin.

Essentially, you need to get both feet in Tenerife rather than trying to keep one in the UK. You have to show you are a proper resident in one or the other!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only type of pension which remains taxable in the UK is what the Spanish call a functionary's pension ie local government, worked for the tax office yourself etc etc.

If you are based here in Tenerife (as a rule of thumb - tax is a complicated subject remember) more than 183 days in any one year then the rest of your world wide income is taxable here (or not if you are under the thresholds)

You should (if you haven't done so already) complete a P85 form to let the UK know that you are now residing outside the UK see here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/BritonsLivingAbroad/index.htm

Pm if you think you are going to need any help with this.