PDA

View Full Version : Other Tenerife early days yet

Pembscouple
04-08-2011, 10:02
I guess and hope this is the right place on the forum to post this:

It's very early days in our emigration ,not even packed the suntan lotion :doh:, seriously............

We're considering the South area but any suggestions ?

We're both 48 years young and after surviving the neighbours from hell we decided to move to the not so sunny County of Pembrokeshire where our nearest neighbours are 1/3 mile away, the only noises at night are the owls and bleating sheep (well we are in Wales) something we and alot of other people wish for, but although we enjoy the peace and beautiful surroundings I (speaking for myself) feel that I'm in solitary confinement !
I'm usually very socialable (wife says too much) enjoy other peoples company and always giving a helping hand. Although we don't want to live in other peoples pockets we want to enjoying the things we used to, so we're hoping to be part of a good community, We'd prefer modern property, ideally a bungalow, if not a townhouse or Villa (if money allows) minimum of 2 beds and must have outside area(s) pool not essential if the sea is close or local pool. Prefer quiet location on the edge of a town with all the shopping amenities, would love to give up driving so good to be on a bus route.

I'm a trained Petrol & Diesel motor vehicle mechanic (posh name for a mechanic), Painting & decorating since I was 15, having this as my business for the last 8 years, also kitchen & bathroom refurbs, tiling plumbing etc.... I also weld, repair washing machines and more recently gained my CLAIT level 2 (computer litearacy) but finding navgating forums difficult :ashamed:

Sorry...this is begining to look and sound like a CV !

We're both seeking to relax, enjoy life, but using our experiences and skills we're hoping to work part time on a casual basis, preferably self employed to pay for those BBQ's and day to day expenses. Are there any voluntary opportunities on the island? community projects, helping dissadvantaged ?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions.

Thanks,

Pembscouple

rosemary
05-08-2011, 12:19
Hi both! Thanks for your PM. I live in the south in Golf del Sur which is about 10 mins east of Los Christianos. A nice area although some apartments and golf villas are directly under the flight path, something you have to get used to if you can! The airport is visible itīs so close, very nice when you are picking up or coming back home! I saw somewhere on the Forum today (in for sale maybe?) a 3 bed bungalow for sale on Amarilla golf which is close to the Marina just along the cliff walk from here. Sale price around 299 euros I think. We do love the cliff walk along here, very bracing and rocky. Tenerife Property Shop is a good agent - they know this area very well and we bought our apartment from them. Lots on line to look at.
But in all honesty folks I would strongly advise renting here for 6 months before you decide anything. There is masses of property for sale - for buyers itīs the perfect market. But when you come over donīt get tempted to buy the first thing you like the look of. It will hang around for a while, trust me!
The buses are great on the island! very cheap and they go up and down to the capital santa cruz frequently as well as to all the local towns and villages and to Los Chris and Playa de Americas. I prefer Los Chris personally. Itīs a bit scruffy and a proper working town with a nice harbour for all the ferries. Playa is a bit like a Disney theme park, loads of hotels, very glitzy and lets face it folks, a bit vulgar in parts, like a cheaper version of Florida! But good for a night out and has a great beach.

Bringing your own car is possible but a bit problematic with the tax and paperwork. We sold ours in Spain and bought new here. Cheap deals here too.
Iīm afraid I canīt help you re work out here. remember there are a LOT of others like yourself all looking for the same thing. But maybe other forum members can be more positive on that subject.
Hope this helps abit? I know and love Wales. Lots of Welsh people out here too. Lots of swallows come down in winter from Wales.

Pembscouple
05-08-2011, 13:24
Thanks Rosemary, We look forward to other members input, helping our dream turn into reallity.

Personally I don't mind the planes, I'm not a great reader so may be something to look at, Don't think my wife will agree !

rosemary
05-08-2011, 13:39
I forgot to mention the North of the island! How could I? It is very lovely and quite different with a far more tropical climate, warm and wet, hence it is greener and more lush. The ambience is quite different too. More Spanish with a cosmopolitan feel as well. More Germans than English here. Go and have a look over on the north coast. Puerto de la Cruz is a great town, undergoing a bit of an identity crisis at the moment with old hotels being pulled down. Lots of little bungalows inPuerto, very pretty with little gardens.

CIM
05-08-2011, 14:20
Thereīs lots of voluntary work with the animal charities and their charity shops.
Part time self employed can be difficult as you have quite high costs in comparison. Social Security is around 250€ a month plus accountants costs whether you make anything or not!
What sort of work were you thinking of doing?

Pembscouple
06-08-2011, 06:03
As mentioned above I'm a Motor mechanic (although I've stayed away from this as vehicles are getting more like computers on wheels) Currently I'm property maintenence orientated, but I can turn my hands to most things. I would like to do computer tutoring, Word, Speadsheets, powerpoint etc... I enjoy showing / teaching others. My Wife has a varied CV too, Care work, Factory, warehouse, Book keeping, retail, cake making & decorating. (She is fully a AAT qualified book keeper but obviously must learn the rules and reg's of Tenerife). We're hoping to not 'have to' work but at our ages we're too young to retire and must do something. A little income wouldn't go unwanted but with the costs you mention it seems self employment may not be the way to go. First thing would be to have Spanish lessons !

rosemary
06-08-2011, 09:46
I know nada about social security costs but 250 a month sounds extreme! Can someone explain in more detail perhaps?
As for emplyment pembs couple it will be hard unless you both have Spanish. But having said that we knew a fella who lived near us in Spain who did car servicing out of his backyard but only to English people. He had one of these hand held electric portable gadgets that you plug into the car and it tells you all the problems. His wife would ferry him to peopleīs houses and heīd drive the cars back home to work on them. My advice woud be to try a few Spanish classes in Wales first to get some idea of the lingo.

Pembscouple
06-08-2011, 10:18
Yes, Spanish lessons are a priority. Looked at the cost of Rossetta Stone DVD but was horrified at the cost, still maybe a no longer used copy may turn up. Not only would it make life easier living in another country we feel obliged to do our best to learn the language. We'd hope to be able to learn from new friends we meet probably during a Sangria or three !

As for working, I'd like to keep occupied, helping others and a little income wouldn't hurt. We both are car and Large Scooter riders but not driven on the right before, so hoping to have a little driving tuition too. I used to drive in London, Bristol & other cities driving on the Right does concern me a little.

anyway, going off topic now...have to start a thread elsewhere..................

willowlily
06-08-2011, 11:20
Yes, Spanish lessons are a priority. Looked at the cost of Rossetta Stone DVD but was horrified at the cost, still maybe a no longer used copy may turn up. Not only would it make life easier living in another country we feel obliged to do our best to learn the language. We'd hope to be able to learn from new friends we meet probably during a Sangria or three !

As for working, I'd like to keep occupied, helping others and a little income wouldn't hurt. We both are car and Large Scooter riders but not driven on the right before, so hoping to have a little driving tuition too. I used to drive in London, Bristol & other cities driving on the Right does concern me a little.

anyway, going off topic now...have to start a thread elsewhere..................

hi to you both, its nice to meet people who try to chart out their future before jumping in at the deep end, my suggestion if possible is take a sabbatical and come for the winter. rent a flat for 6 months this gives you ample time to get the feel of the place, public transport is excellent, there are people here on the tenerife forum that meet from time to time in person where you could get some insider knowledge, then it is up to you to weigh the pros and cons and make the right decision.

Saltnpepper
06-08-2011, 13:10
Hi, just read all the posts above & would definitely suggest you rent for a few months before thinking about buying (assuming you don't need a mortgage based on current employment). Come over, spend a couple of months here, have a look around at areas, talk to people here about locations, work options etc. We moved over here in 2004, both were in our 40's at the time & we knew we needed to find work as we weren't retirement age. It wasn't so easy as we didn't speak Spanish! So I would definitely recommend that you start learning as early as possible (maybe Amazon have 2nd hand Rosetta Stone learning courses, or there are other courses you can buy). Saying that, there are people who've lived here for years & still don't speak Spanish! I've been picking up the language, but last year decided to have lessons as I didn't have the motivation to do it on my own. We're living outside the tourist areas, up in the hills of San Miguel but we're still only 10 minutes from the motorway & all the shops of Las Chafiras & 15 mins from Tenerife South airport. It's a nice rural area, quiet traditional Canarian village, but there are more English people up here than you'd think & we all get together for drinks, bbq's etc. I hadn't driven on the right before we moved here, but you'd easily get into it. I've not actually been self-employed myself but do know that 250€ social security a month sounds about right which would be something to consider if you were to go self-employed. Hope this helps, just do as much research as you can before you make the big move, good luck!

Sputnikspouse
06-08-2011, 16:34
Hi enjoyed reading your thread, there are free Spanish lessons available via the Internet the one we are using is www.radiolingau.com to the right on the page you will see coffee book spanish (a cup with little footprints around it) click onto that and start at lesson 1 but make sure it's the coffee book one you pick as there are now 2 different lots of lessons on that page and the other is more advanced, hope that helps

junglejim
06-08-2011, 16:39
Hi enjoyed reading your thread, there are free Spanish lessons available via the Internet the one we are using is www.radiolingau.com to the right on the page you will see coffee book spanish (a cup with little footprints around it) click onto that and start at lesson 1 but make sure it's the coffee book one you pick as there are now 2 different lots of lessons on that page and the other is more advanced, hope that helps

Fixed that link !!

http://radiolingua.com/

Goldenmaniac
08-08-2011, 07:55
The 250 euro per month Social security payment can be a bit misleading -the amount you pay depends on what age you are and also whether you include, extra cover for work related accidents and contingency payments for unemployment benefit, also this will only insure you for the minimum amount of sick pay of around 900 euros a month.
EG I am over 50 and pay 270 odd, I have a friend who is a 45 year old builder and pays 310 euros and those are both basic figures.

bonitatime
08-08-2011, 16:45
A lot of self employed people work for agencies who take a percentage of their income or a fixed cost and then you pay less social security. Not approving or disapproving just commenting.

rosemary
08-08-2011, 16:49
Hi both

Tried to send you another reply to your PM but you need to clear your inbox before it can get through to you. I was recommending the WinterGarden complex for you both. Itīs on. the website I gave you.

Added after 4 minutes:

PS The WinterGarden complex has a great community club and excellent restaurant, good for meeting people. Many Welsh, Scots and English play bowls here too. Lovely apartments and a pool.