PDA

View Full Version : British family charged with abandonment in San Miguel Area in Tenerife

bonitatime
04-08-2011, 11:31
http://www.eldia.es/2011-08-04/sucesos/4-Imputados-abandono-menores-despues-hija-anos-rompiera-pierna.htm

Two British tourists were charged with the crime of neglect in a resort in San Miguel de Abona on Monday. The defendants were allegedly on a "excursion" to Playa de las Americas, they claimed, and left a 12 year old boy and a girl of 10 alone. It was discovered when, the younger child fractured a leg in the apartment bloque pool and the child had to be rescued by other guests by the pool.

The alleged crime occurred at approximately 20:00 on Monday in the Golf del Sur.

The first to reach the apartments were local police of San Miguel, who took the steps necessary to locate the parents of the children as well as call an ambulance to move the child to the Hospiten hospital in the South.

When the officers contacted the parents of the child they allegedly refused to leave "excursion" to go to the hospital they had aparently been in Playa de las Americas since the morning.

The mother then went back to the apartment complex in Golf del Sur to take care of the 12 year old and together they went to the hospital.

Supposedly, the couple told their children would come back to Golf del Sur at midnight. As the charge required the father, who was in Arona and the situation was beyond the territory of San Miguel, the case was brought to the attention of the Guardia Civil post of Granadilla to proceed. The intervention of the security forces was as fast as possible, since the family had planned to leave the island on Tuesday.

karinagal
04-08-2011, 12:06
That's shocking. I cannot believe how any parents could act that way. What is the point of a 'family' holiday if you don't do things as a family?

I'm glad that at least someone else was on hand to look after the kids when it mattered - doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened if no one was there to help....

Tinkabel
04-08-2011, 12:39
Absolutely shocking, why bring the kids in the first place if you're not gonna spend time with them. Imagine being left alone in a foreign country at that age!!! They must have been absolutely terrified when the accident happened. Thank god someone was there to ensure they had the proper care.

Balcony
04-08-2011, 12:48
In the light of the little girl taken in Portugal, you'd think parents would have the sense NEVER to leave children alone whilst on holiday.

Some of these mutton heads need a swift kick in the derriere to remind them of their responsibilities. KIDS FIRST.

Tom & Sharon
04-08-2011, 13:01
http://www.eldia.es/2011-08-04/sucesos/4-Imputados-abandono-menores-despues-hija-anos

Two British tourists were charged with the crime of neglect in a resort in San Miguel de Abona on Monday. The defendants were allegedly on a "excursion" to Playa de las Americas, they claimed, and left a 12 year old boy and a girl of 10 alone. It was discovered when, the younger child fractured a leg in the apartment bloque pool and the child had to be rescued by other guests by the pool.

The alleged crime occurred at approximately 20:00 on Monday in the Golf del Sur.

The first to reach the apartments were local police of San Miguel, who took the steps necessary to locate the parents of the children as well as call an ambulance to move the child to the Hospiten hospital in the South.

When the officers contacted the parents of the child they allegedly refused to leave "excursion" to go to the hospital they had aparently been in Playa de las Americas since the morning.

The mother then went back to the apartment complex in Golf del Sur to take care of the 12 year old and together they went to the hospital.

Supposedly, the couple told their children would come back to Golf del Sur at midnight. As the charge required the father, who was in Arona and the situation was beyond the territory of San Miguel, the case was brought to the attention of the Guardia Civil post of Granadilla to proceed. The intervention of the security forces was as fast as possible, since the family had planned to leave the island on Tuesday.

Some people do not deserve children,even pesky screaming one's ;)

Do i take it from this that the ejits are in custody or have been refused permission to leave the island,as i assume the younger child would not have been given permission to fly on Tuesday?

Tom :tiphat:

anegib
04-08-2011, 13:12
Unbelievable!!!

Margaretta
04-08-2011, 13:34
Unbelievable!!!

Agree. I hope these parents are prosecuted for their attitude as much as their deeds. I wonder, what is the age of legally leaving children in Tenerife??

TOTO 99
04-08-2011, 13:38
Agree. I hope these parents are prosecuted for their attitude as much as their deeds. I wonder, what is the age of legally leaving children in Tenerife??

You can bet your life it's above 12!

atlantico
04-08-2011, 14:14
excursion ??

bet it was an all day booze up !

Goforgold
04-08-2011, 15:46
The girl I've taken under my wing here in the UK is left from between 10 - 14 hours a day alone and has been since the age of 10. The father died when she was 8 and the mother says that she has no choice as she has to work. She doesn't even phone her to make sure she arrives home safe from school. :( and when the mother finally arrives home she goes to bed and watches movies, when she isn't with the boyfriend. :(

Margaretta
04-08-2011, 15:51
The girl I've taken under my wing here in the UK is left from between 10 - 14 hours a day alone and has been since the age of 10. The father died when she was 8 and the mother says that she has no choice as she has to work. She doesn't even phone her to make sure she arrives home safe from school. :( and when the mother finally arrives home she goes to bed and watches movies!!! :(

GFG, it sounds like the mother is very depressed.

timmylish
04-08-2011, 16:04
GFG, it sounds like the mother is very depressed.Watching movies in bed is good for depression? New one on me.

GFG. What on earth are you going to do with this poor girl in the future? Heaven,s help both of you! And I really mean that. Then again, unfortunately, if you don,t the girl would be all alone. Hope you reach a successful conclusion to this.

Goforgold
04-08-2011, 16:15
GFG, it sounds like the mother is very depressed.

Hi Margaretta - no, she isn't depressed, far from it. She has a boyfriend and is very happy.

Margaretta
04-08-2011, 16:16
Watching movies in bed is good for depression? New one on me.

GFG. What on earth are you going to do with this poor girl in the future? Heaven,s help both of you! And I really mean that. Then again, unfortunately, if you don,t the girl would be all alone. Hope you reach a successful conclusion to this.
Timmylish sorry. I should have added more but was called away...
My sympathies are with the girl and GFG. But I do think there is a need to get this Mother sorted out. There is a symptom of depression where people retreat into a fantasy world when they are expected to do the norm. This may be a bad, selfish, uncaring person with no conscience or she may be wrapped up in her own unhappiness. I have a friend who is out all the time because she can't stand tackling her home after her Mum died and it is a total wreck. She adamantly refuses help. Depression hits in different ways and in our society people have to want to be helped. GFG probably doesn't want the worry of this for years ahead and like all of us her heart goes out to this young girl.But how do you sort this without worry? Calling authorities will mean further trauma for the girl. It may be the right thing in the long run. Quien sabe?
Whoops! We cross-posted GFG. Then she needs a firm reminder of how to be a good Mum!

Balcony
04-08-2011, 16:36
Good on you GFG. It's nice that someone can keep a wary eye for the young girl. But there's a fine line too where you can't run their lives for them or let them (the mother, that is) take advantage of your good nature. I'm not judging the mother as I can understand her need to work (at least she is!), but coping, that's a different story. But there's none so blind as they who can't see and the mum may resent offers of help.

Goforgold
04-08-2011, 16:44
Good on you GFG. It's nice that someone can keep a wary eye for the young girl. But there's a fine line too where you can't run their lives for them or let them (the mother, that is) take advantage of your good nature. I'm not judging the mother as I can understand her need to work (at least she is!), but coping, that's a different story. But there's none so blind as they who can't see and the mum may resent offers of help.

Thanks Balcony, Fortunately for the child, the mother is more than happy for me to help. She has never 'bonded' with her daughter and the father always took care of the girl.

caroletenerife
04-08-2011, 18:16
In our complex yesterday my friend who was working on the computer turned round and an 8 year old girl was in her apartment playing with her dog. Turns out she was Italian, could not speak English or Spanish so off my friend went to try and find parents...no sign and the girl didnt seem to know where she was staying. So back to her apartment on to Google translate to try and comunicate, the girl quite happily sat there with a can of coke playing with the dog while my friend threw some words in Italian at her....eventually turns out she had just arrived and was staying on complex visiting her Uncle. All this took OVER an hour, said adults hadnt even missed her!!!!!!!!! Shes lucky she picked my friends apartment to saunter into, my friend could have been anyone, and anything could have happened to that child

warbey
04-08-2011, 19:56
I note the Accident took place at about 20.00.
Who has Kids in the Pool at that time.?
Kids and Pools rarely go together without at least ONE ADULT.
Because of the way of Life in Spanish Places, there is usually somewhere nearby for Children
Off with Their Heads..!

GFG. If Social Services were aware, I think there's enough justification to take Your young one into care
She's virtually been sent to Coventry......

cainaries
04-08-2011, 23:06
That's shocking. I cannot believe how any parents could act that way. What is the point of a 'family' holiday if you don't do things as a family?

I'm glad that at least someone else was on hand to look after the kids when it mattered - doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened if no one was there to help....
I completely agree, KG, but wonder if they are a 'family' in the sense that the 2 adults are the joint parents of the 2 children? Maybe they just belong to one of the adults and the boyfriend or girlfriend is bored having to take someone else's children on holiday which is spoiling their fun and it isn't a 'family' holiday at all. Seems to happen quite a lot here at any rate.

Chayofa Tete
05-08-2011, 08:14
I completely agree, KG, but wonder if they are a 'family' in the sense that the 2 adults are the joint parents of the 2 children? Maybe they just belong to one of the adults and the boyfriend or girlfriend is bored having to take someone else's children on holiday which is spoiling their fun and it isn't a 'family' holiday at all. Seems to happen quite a lot here at any rate.

No excuses complete and utter numpties,even if the kids did not belong to you it is absolutely criminal to leave them alone at this age anywhere.

ali marshall
05-08-2011, 22:54
Yesterday i went to las galletas to meet a friend,after a few hours on the beach,we decided time for me to get my bus back.As we left the beach and got to the path next to the main road there was a little spanish girl proberly age 5 to 6 crying her heart out.

She had no idea where her parents was,thankfully my friend spoke fluent spanish and told her to wait with me while she went to get the life guard,as may be the parents had told him she was missing.
The little girl decide she was not staying put, so i walked to the life guard with her.As we approached the life guard 2 people up the road sat in her car shouted at her.

Her parents was sat in the car,not looking for her,apparently she was on the beach with her grandfather who again was not looking for her.

Makes me so angry,i am so glad we was there and not some weirdo that could of done harm to her,and at the end of it all the parents did not even thank my friend for keeping a eye on there daughter,they seemed to just laugh it off.

What wrong with people,i drive my other half nuts because im always saying to my partner are you watching our son.It only takes a second for something bad to happen.Just wish some parents understood that children are gifts and we should protect them.

andyandcollette
06-08-2011, 23:19
speachless

TIS
07-08-2011, 00:54
Yesterday i went to las galletas to meet a friend,after a few hours on the beach,we decided time for me to get my bus back.As we left the beach and got to the path next to the main road there was a little spanish girl proberly age 5 to 6 crying her heart out.

She had no idea where her parents was,thankfully my friend spoke fluent spanish and told her to wait with me while she went to get the life guard,as may be the parents had told him she was missing.
The little girl decide she was not staying put, so i walked to the life guard with her.As we approached the life guard 2 people up the road sat in her car shouted at her.

Her parents was sat in the car,not looking for her,apparently she was on the beach with her grandfather who again was not looking for her.

Makes me so angry,i am so glad we was there and not some weirdo that could of done harm to her,and at the end of it all the parents did not even thank my friend for keeping a eye on there daughter,they seemed to just laugh it off.

I wonder if you could have denounced them or reported them to the police for child abandonment. Maybe that would make them sit up a realise the gravity of their poor parenting.

..........It only takes a second for something bad to happen.Just wish some parents understood that children are gifts and we should protect (and cherish) them.

Totally agree.

Santiago
13-03-2012, 23:31
I usually get two or three enquiries for vacancies each summer and when I tell the people I just have a lovely grassy field for the children to play in they are horrified. They want children's clubs and people to look after them while the adults do whatever they like without them. I have been called names, told I am "out of the loop" whatever that means, and have had the phone slammed down on me.

I won't even let people leave their dogs shut up while they go out let alone their children.

caroletenerife
14-03-2012, 00:44
years ago I worked at Butlins. The norm was a baby listening service, where catering staff could earn extra money wandering up and down chalet lines listening. Using a walkie talkie we would contact the office if a child was crying and they would put an announcement out in various venues throughout the camp. It often took 20 minutes for parents to arrive, these were self catering apartments with cooking facilities. Thinking about it now, it seems shocking, but at the time it was perfectly acceptable

dotty1
14-03-2012, 11:13
I feel sick at the thought of what could happen to any of the children mentioned. Do they not realize how lucky to have children and how precious they are. It frightens me to think what could happen, we hear so many horror stories. Enough said from me.

warbey
14-03-2012, 21:55
Can Anyone say what the Outcome of this Item was please.?

bonitatime
15-03-2012, 09:45
I never read any comment On the outcome.