PDA

View Full Version : How do I denounce a rip off taxi driver in Tenerife?

lindsay
04-08-2011, 13:23
my friend has just been charged double for a taxi ride which she takes everyday. when questioning the driver he said there is now new tariffs. she got a receipt then called the taxi firm to complain. they confirmed she had been charged double and told her to go to the office in torviscas for a refund and then to denounce the driver. how would she go about making the denuncia, is it the police station or hacienda? thanks.

uptowngirl
04-08-2011, 13:31
do it do it do it................................................ .. if more people denounced the cheeky buggers who do try and rip off their customers, they would think twice about it!

Because it is such a hassle, no-one can understandably be bothered to do it!!!

lindsay
04-08-2011, 13:59
i'm going to go with her tomorrow but need to know where to go first. it was 6 euros rather than 3 euros, not a lot of money for the hassle but it's the principle.

moonlighter
04-08-2011, 14:03
i'm going to go with her tomorrow but need to know where to go first. it was 6 euros rather than 3 euros, not a lot of money for the hassle but it's the principle.

Exactly

As a matter of interest, what would happen to a driver who is denounced?

atlantico
04-08-2011, 14:12
and so the actual taxi firm didn't want anything to do with it ? just because they're self-employed drivers that shouldn't take the responsibility away from the taxi firm - threaten to denounce THEM too !

anto3
04-08-2011, 14:39
I aways have the correct money for my taxi and hand it to the driver, if he said anything i pretend i do not understand. heard one saying in spainish ******* english, could not turn around and say i was irish, just kept walking.

AL JAY
04-08-2011, 14:51
45 Views so far but no one has answered the original question , Surely someone must know? It would benefit everyone if it happens and i applaud Lindsay for bringing it to our attention.

bonitatime
04-08-2011, 14:55
When you go for the money ask.
I would try the consumer office in Adeje if she lives in the Adeje area

junglejim
04-08-2011, 16:34
You can phone number in link and speak to someone in english to make denuncia -who will then transcribe the denuncia into spanish -they give you a reference number- you then have to go to police station next day and read and sign , then wait for outcome to see if it is progressed .
I have done it and it works !
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/content.php?133

Balcony
04-08-2011, 16:44
If you feel you have been grossly overcharged, or cheated by a shop (taxi office becomes a shop) you have the option to go to the police and make a complaint. However, all shops must have on the premises, a book called "Ojos de Reclamacions" into which you can demand your complaint is entered.

You will need to complete the necessary information and sign the form, after which you will be given the top-copy which you send to the Inspector's address on the form. The Inspector will investigate and advise you of the outcome. This matter is very serious and you can, afterwards, further your claim by complaint to the Tourist Office, Consumer Protection Office, or to the police. In general you will deal with the local police (policia local), who wear blue uniforms. In some circumstances you may come across the civil guard (guardia civil) who wear green uniforms.The offices of the Guardia Civil may be found in Playa de las Americas.

irishmusico
04-08-2011, 17:37
Sorry I can't help you but I would be interested in knowing the number of the taxi.

caroletenerife
04-08-2011, 17:59
Im not sure if its the main office, but all the taxis sit there and there is a small office...If your standing outside the Santa Maria Hotel, its across the road and to the right a few yards up the road. If thats not it, they will tell you where it is. They try it with alot of people, the other week I was coming from work in The patch to Harleys in San Eugenio...we shot off up the motorway past Del Duche, i kept telling him he was going the wrong way, only things that he seemed to understand was 'you can take me to Santa Cruz pal your only getting a fiver'. He suddenly turned round and seemed to remember where he was going x

Just thought of something, if holiday makers took photos of the tariffs printed at taxi ranks, they could use them to remind themselves and the taxis how much a journey should be x

Zara
04-08-2011, 18:08
Dont have any around town but these were taken at the airport and were current as of April this year.

Cookey
04-08-2011, 20:38
Hi all I´m the friend it happened to, thanks for the support and suggestions so far.

I was picked up from Ocean View and even before we got round to the restaurant Molino Blanco the meter was nearly at €4 and he did an illegal left turn and cut out the roundabout by aqualand!!!! I did the same route in reverse about 4 weeks and was charged the €6 rate but since then have paid the usual €3.05 (minumum rate) up until today.

The license number of the taxi is 84, so you can keep a look out if you happen to get him (he is mainly at the San Eugenio & Island Village ranks)....has the older style Mercedes taxi and is at the older end of the age bracket.
I checked with my friend who rang the office and he said to go to Adeje Ayuntamiento....so I think this is where we will start tomorrow and see what happens from there.

I will keep you all updated

I think we need to all start making a stand with rip off taxis......I´m absolutely fed up and being in a taxi that rips you off or they´re too busy on their mobile phones trying to text and call people and speeding.....

woodchip68
04-08-2011, 21:06
Dont waste your time, its an afternoon wasted at the Guardia civil, wasted money with a lawyer and a wasted afternoon in court.
I bought a brand new landcriuser from toyota in Las Chafiras in 08, it came with 4km on the clock.
After 10,000km the clutch went. I took it to toyota and was told that I could not claim on the warrantee because it had a recorded 44,000km and the car was 18 months old when I bought it.
Who looks at the dates on the logbook when you get it 3 months after you bought it? Especially from a main dealer.
I denounced them and it went to court 13 months later and I won, Yipeeee!!! They are due to be sentenced on 14th September 2014. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!

lindsay
04-08-2011, 23:21
if you won and they are being sentenced then why is it a waste of time??????????? anyway lou and i will see what happens tomorrow. it's a slightly different situation here but good luck to you in sept.

woodchip68
05-08-2011, 08:12
if you won and they are being sentenced then why is it a waste of time??????????? anyway lou and i will see what happens tomorrow. it's a slightly different situation here but good luck to you in sept.

Yes I know its a different situation. But thought I would give you a heads up into what your looking at. As for September, I dont thing you read my post correctly, September 2014 The car has been sold and the people that dealt with it and the company could be gone by then.

Cookey
05-08-2011, 09:10
Thanks for the head´s up but I´ve got plenty of time so might aswell see what happens and as you said you did win so their is hope.

I must remember to take plenty of photocopies of taxi receipt, passport, NIE, birth certificate ??, empadranamiento, apartment rental contract ??, utilities bill ??, shopping list ??!!!!:crylaughing:

junglejim
05-08-2011, 09:14
Thanks for the head´s up but I´ve got plenty of time so might aswell see what happens and as you said you did win so their is hope.

I must remember to take plenty of photocopies of taxi receipt, passport, NIE, birth certificate ??, empadranamiento, apartment rental contract ??, utilities bill ??, shopping list ??!!!!:crylaughing:
Don´t forget your staple gun !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXWZ3uAEKsw

Cookey
05-08-2011, 19:33
Well, went up to consumo this afternoon was VERY simple and easy, the woman wrote down what had happened rung the manager/supervisor of the taxis and he said that the tarrifs have gone up as of the 21st of June but still shouldn´t have been as much as what i paid and that I can also put a complaint in at the taxi office in Torviscas so they can monitor and see if it is the same driver, which is what I will do on Monday as the office was shut today.

If other people realise how easy it is to do this then hopefully there will be more willing to put in denuncias when wrongly over-charged....:twak:

redarrow
05-08-2011, 19:44
Denuncias are taking years to go through the system. A day in court will cost you more than the three euros you lost. Live to fight another day, you really are wasting your time on a matter of principle.

junglejim
05-08-2011, 20:14
Denuncias are taking years to go through the system. A day in court will cost you more than the three euros you lost. Live to fight another day, you really are wasting your time on a matter of principle.

Unfortunately that's what these guy's are counting on - people's inertia - €3 or so 10 times a night or more 7 days a week for every taxi is a tidy sum !
See what happens next time you go into a bar and are charged double - will you accept it, shrug your shoulders and come back for more ?
The complaint the OP has made isn't a legal denuncia via the court but will be effective .
My denuncia for being threatened was and the parties involved cleared off the Island before the court case !

If you let them away with it they will keep on doing it !

MrHippo
05-08-2011, 23:20
ok.. i just had this very minute a taxi drive, i had a couple of beers but im gonna try and tell u my experince i just had.

i speak spanish "canarian" style, and aint paying more then 3.50E from san egenio mercadona to bar tasca del conde, torviscas alto... ok.. the fare was 4,20E and he said ok..he said 3,50E and that is what i will charge you.. then i explained about this post and the people the were getting ripped off..

he said before u get in a taxi.. fix a price and ask BEFORE you leave your destination you want an official recipt caus on these recipts is their the number of the cab and the driver signed!

lindsay
05-08-2011, 23:40
j i know exactly what you are talking about, i speak spanish also so it's easier for me too but the spanish girl in the office today got ripped off from el madroñal to the bus station 4.50 e. she said i think they thought i was on holiday, now they are looking out for the tariffs. so for me and my mate it's a good day. i hope other people will take the 1hr time out to do it also.

CIM
06-08-2011, 00:39
Tell them before the journey you need a receipt for the fare. This receipt contains the time and date, the journey made and the taxi number.
Any problems with it and you can query the fare with the ayuntamiento who should be able to tell you whether you have been overcharged or not. 99% of the time the driver ain´t going to muck around if he knows he is going to have to give you a receipt.
You get a receipt for a packet of crisps in a shop so why not for a taxi journey? Ask for one every time.

steve
06-08-2011, 00:55
No chance
Ask the price before you get in and ask for the printed receipt - before you set off
Also write down the taxi number in case you leave something in it

Added after 16 minutes:

PS: Don't mess with the taxi Mafia! Don't argue, fight or try to do a runner or you may find yourself in intensive care - with no witnesses!

Jackie
06-08-2011, 10:07

No they are not. We denounced an ex of my daughters a little under 2 months ago for destroying her iphone beyond repair, the police came to my house last week with all the paperwork and the court case is this Wednesday

Cookey
06-08-2011, 10:13
To be honest I don´t want it to go to court but if everyone who has been over charged only goes to the office in torviscas and write the complaint in their book at least they can keep track to see if it is the same driver that is ripping customers off and the Ayuntamiento will have to take action as it is being brought to their attention and if you wan´t to also do a denuncia then go to Adeje consumo aswell...but this isn´t aimed just at residents, I wan´t the tourists to take note of this (would you let yourself be ripped off by taxis in your home country....then why here?), if you´re not sure if what you have been charged is right....like others have said ask for a receipt and get someone else to check.

MrHippo
06-08-2011, 10:36
also.. if you keep the taxi receipt on you and you do the same journey often, you always got something to show a rogue taxi driver what it should have cost..

i had a good chat with Natcho on the way home last nite, he was also trying to saying that it seems to be the opinion of some of them that why should they drive 4 people from one side of town to other for 5 euros when these people have just come out of a bar who have charged them 5 euros each for a drink! I presume its veronicas or some place like that.

I know that this is no excuse and that they have fixed tarrifs but its like well if they do it, why dont we!

Keep an eye on the meter, if they push a button and 1,65E is added on, thats only for an airport pickup.. and shouldnt happen round town..

woodchip68
06-08-2011, 12:22
Taxi Price List

TARIFFS WITHIN ADEJE
Base price (1) €1.40
Kilometre travelled €0.45
Hour waited €8.69
Extras:
Nocturnal (2) €0.45
Holidays (3) €0.45
Christmas (24th & 31st of December and 5th of January) €0.45
Services through Radio-Taxi €0.40
Baggage (4) €0.35
1) The base price is applied 24 hours a day.
2) Night time applies from 10pm to 6am.
3) Holidays start at midnight for the next 24 hours.
4) Baggage charge should be applied once only, no matter how many packages, cases etc. if the boot of the vehicle is used. No extra charge is made for wheel chairs or any other element used for the mobility of disabled people.

TARIFFS WITHIN ARONA
Daily base price (1) €1.85
Nocturnal base price (2) €2.30
Holiday base price (3) €2.30
Kilometre traveled €0.45
Hour waited €9.76
Extras:
Xmas Eve and New Years Eve (from 10pm to 6am) €0.90
Service through Radio-Taxi €0.40
Baggage - €0.40
Entry and exit of Los Cristianos Port €0.40
1) The base price in every case includes one travelled kilometer or its equivalent in hours waited.
2) Night time applies from 10pm till 6am.
3) From midnight for the next 24 hours.
4) Baggage charge is to be applied once only, no matter how many packages, cases etc. if the boot of the vehicle is used. No extra charge is made for wheel chairs or any other element used for the mobility of disabled people.
5) Always as long as the journey is within the Urban Tariff.

INTER-URBAN TARIFFS
Daily Inter-Urban prices (from 6am to 10pm):
Price per km or fraction €0.42
Price per hour waited €11.27
Minimum price €2.36
Price per fraction every 15 minutes €2.82

Nocturnal Inter-Urban prices (from 10pm to 6am):
Minimum price €2.80

During the first hour waited the client will be given 15 minutes free of charge, starting to add fractions of 15 minutes as stated in the charts.
Tariff 2 on the taximeter will be applied when the service is inter-urban and the client wants a return service. Should the client decide not to complete the journey, the client will be obliged to pay the difference.
Tariff 3 on the taxi meter applies to one way inter-urban services.
Baggage transport is free up to 50 kilos for a four place car and 60 kilos for cars with bigger capacity. 30 extra kilos can be added if some of the baggage should go inside the taxi on unoccupied seats. Any extra weight will be charged at 0.04 euros per 10 kilos and kilometers travelled.
An extra charge of €1.65 shall be made for vehicles with origin or destination to/from ports or airports.

delderek
06-08-2011, 12:58
Is this the latest tariff?

fonica
06-08-2011, 14:02
Where can you go in a taxi for 3 Euros? Isn't there a minimum charge in Adeje. I feel sorry for the taxi drivers who have to pick up people who expect to pay 3 euros,I'd tell them to walk.Most of us wouldn't get out of bed for a taxi drivers wage, never mind work 14 hour a day, six days a week.

Tom
06-08-2011, 14:21
Taxi Price List

TARIFFS WITHIN ADEJE
Base price (1) €1.40
Hour waited €8.69
Extras:
Nocturnal (2) €0.45
Holidays (3) €0.45
Baggage (4) €0.35
4) Baggage charge should be applied once only, no matter how many packages, cases etc. if the boot of the vehicle is used. No extra charge is made for wheel chairs or any other element used for the mobility of disabled people.

TARIFFS WITHIN ARONA
Kilometre traveled €0.45
Hour waited €9.76
Extras:
Baggage - €0.40
1) The base price in every case includes one travelled kilometer or its equivalent in hours waited.
4) Baggage charge is to be applied once only, no matter how many packages, cases etc. if the boot of the vehicle is used. No extra charge is made for wheel chairs or any other element used for the mobility of disabled people.

INTER-URBAN TARIFFS
Minimum price €2.36

Minimum price €2.80

During the first hour waited the client will be given 15 minutes free of charge, starting to add fractions of 15 minutes as stated in the charts.
Tariff 2 on the taximeter will be applied when the service is inter-urban and the client wants a return service. Should the client decide not to complete the journey, the client will be obliged to pay the difference.
Baggage transport is free up to 50 kilos for a four place car and 60 kilos for cars with bigger capacity. 30 extra kilos can be added if some of the baggage should go inside the taxi on unoccupied seats. Any extra weight will be charged at 0.04 euros per 10 kilos and kilometers travelled.
An extra charge of €1.65 shall be made for vehicles with origin or destination to/from ports or airports.

Cracking post!
What would be the fare from the airports tfs travelling after 22.00 hrs and travel distance 18km los cris ?
Please show workings so that others can use the formula to work out their "ideal " fare.
I'am not sure which rate to use.

moonlighter
06-08-2011, 14:39
Where can you go in a taxi for 3 Euros? Isn't there a minimum charge in Adeje. I feel sorry for the taxi drivers who have to pick up people who expect to pay 3 euros,I'd tell them to walk.Most of us wouldn't get out of bed for a taxi drivers wage, never mind work 14 hour a day, six days a week.

That doesn't mean it's right to rip people off by charging what you like.

woodchip68
06-08-2011, 15:04
Cracking post!
What would be the fare from the airports tfs travelling after 22.00 hrs and travel distance 18km los cris ?
Please show workings so that others can use the formula to work out their "ideal " fare.
I'am not sure which rate to use.

As I understand it with the research I have done (a really sad hobby of mine) You take the Arona base rate (x1) ADD Km charge + noctural + holiday + christmas (x18 km) ADD[/B baggage (x1 only) [B]ADD[/B airport charge.

Here we go:

Arona BR - 2.30 x1 = 2.30
Km rate 0.45 x18 = 8.10
Nocturnal IU 0.42 x18 = 7.56
Airport 1.65 x1 =1.65
[B]Total 19.61

Its very comfusing to research and when you get your regular friendly honest taxi driver to explian it, its even more comfusing

Tom
06-08-2011, 15:19
As I understand it with the research I have done (a really sad hobby of mine) You take the Arona base rate (x1) ADD Km charge + noctural + holiday + christmas (x18 km) ADD[/B baggage (x1 only) [B]ADD[/B airport charge.

Here we go:

Arona BR - 2.30 x1 = 2.30
Km rate 0.45 x18 = 8.10
Nocturnal IU 0.42 x18 = 7.56
Airport 1.65 x1 =1.65
[B]Total 19.61

Its very comfusing to research and when you get your regular friendly honest taxi driver to explian it, its even more comfusing

I don't think we have ever had a sub €20 fare yet !
Average would be €24 !
Distance from Google maps door to door.

woodchip68
06-08-2011, 15:37
There is also waiting time that kicks in as soon as the car stops moving or goes into reverse, watch the meter change and an led starts blinking. But as I said this is the only current information that I could find. I pay 26 euros to Los Menores with my family and 4 bags. When you come from the airport you will be on tariff 2 or 3, depending on the time and then tariff 1 when you come off the TF1. As I understand it.

andysut
06-08-2011, 15:58
ok i am due out to tenerife in 4 weeks cant wait could somone tell me roughly what a taxi from the airpot to torviscas alto should cost thanks andy

woodchip68
06-08-2011, 16:06
ok i am due out to tenerife in 4 weeks cant wait could somone tell me roughly what a taxi from the airpot to torviscas alto should cost thanks andy

Between 20 and 25 euros

andysut
06-08-2011, 16:10
thankyou woodchip68

Tom
06-08-2011, 16:32
Between 20 and 25 euros

€24 €28 might be near from past experience - TFS to Los Geranios

woodchip68
06-08-2011, 17:35
Boy you guys get so ripped off. Rule of thumb 50c per Km + day base rate or 1 euro per km + night base rate after 10pm. Simples

delderek
06-08-2011, 19:48
Taxi Price List

TARIFFS WITHIN ADEJE
Base price (1) €1.40
Hour waited €8.69
Extras:
Nocturnal (2) €0.45
Holidays (3) €0.45
Baggage (4) €0.35

TARIFFS WITHIN ARONA
Kilometre traveled €0.45
Hour waited €9.76
Extras:
Baggage - €0.40

INTER-URBAN TARIFFS
Minimum price €2.36

Minimum price €2.80

Think they are out of date prices, they are the same as I downloaded in 2009. At least two increases since then. Last one I think June this year

warbey
06-08-2011, 20:03
To be honest I don´t want it to go to court but if everyone who has been over charged only goes to the office in torviscas and write the complaint in their book at least they can keep track to see if it is the same driver that is ripping customers off and the Ayuntamiento will have to take action as it is being brought to their attention and if you wan´t to also do a denuncia then go to Adeje consumo aswell...but this isn´t aimed just at residents, I wan´t the tourists to take note of this (would you let yourself be ripped off by taxis in your home country....then why here?), if you´re not sure if what you have been charged is right....like others have said ask for a receipt and get someone else to check.

Whilst I understand the thinking of waste of time, doesnt the Driver who robbed You go to court too.?
Its his Time too, and a few appearances should mean no mJob..
So why not.?

lindsay
06-08-2011, 23:38

hahahahaha, sooooooo funny are you a taxi driver or would be taxi driver by any chance?!!!!!!!!!!!

Loaded
07-08-2011, 00:21
I know a few and they earn pocket change, sometimes 25-40 euros per 12 hour shift. The owner of the individual taxi does alright but you have to wait years and go through the ranks before you're allowed to own one and get drivers

woodchip68
07-08-2011, 11:16
Sometimes I wonder????? In Yorkshire a 2 mile trip by taxi = £10 - 12 mile airport run = £35 - a litre of petrol = £1.40 - Average council tax = £1500 pa - pack of cigs = £6 - Tv Tax - tax on tax.
We complain in the UK, we move to Tenerife......................... we complain!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do we so easily forget?

fonica
08-08-2011, 09:18
No,I'm not a taxi driver and couldn't live on the wage and neither could you I suspect.Maybe you have a secret source of information that will prove my post incorrect but I assure you it is accurate so I doubt it!!

canarianchicken
08-08-2011, 10:49
The price should be what is set officially and shouldn't be bumped up by unscrupulous taxi drivers.

In my 13 years living in the south of Tenerife I became sick and tired of being ripped off. I denounced two taxi drivers during my time there and heard absolutely nothing at all.
A friend of mine was nutted by a taxi driver and had his nose broken for asking for a receipt as he didn't agree with the fare.
He took his taxi number and registration number and we denounced him at Granadilla town hall ....... Nothing.

I now live in La Orotava and use a taxi on my regular nights out. I have never once been overcharged in two years. I have found all the taxi drivers to be friendly and even chatty.

junglejim
08-08-2011, 12:09
Sometimes I wonder????? In Yorkshire a 2 mile trip by taxi = £10 - 12 mile airport run = £35 - a litre of petrol = £1.40 - Average council tax = £1500 pa - pack of cigs = £6 - Tv Tax - tax on tax.
We complain in the UK, we move to Tenerife......................... we complain!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do we so easily forget?
A 2 mile trip in my area ( Ayrshire) is usually a fiver with tip , 10 mile after midnight about 15 quid !

woodchip68
08-08-2011, 18:04
Maybe so in Ayrshire, I was on the Clyde a few weeks ago and the taxis were cheaper there but food was well expensive. I got a taxi in London for about 4 miles and needed a second mortgage

warbey
02-03-2012, 21:03
I went from the Columbus to Torviscas the other week
I was directed to a certain Taxi by another Driver. There were 4 or 5 present.
it was an older mercedes type, with an Arona No..
There was no visible meter.
He charged 5.60, which I paid exactly.
I was unaware if Prices had gone up too.

A few Days later with a honest Driver the fare was 4.40 with Tip 5..

Does anyone know if the Meter starts when the Engine is started, because a few times I have refused to get in
when this has happened, before I got in the Car....??

delderek
02-03-2012, 21:33
I went from the Columbus to Torviscas the other week
I was directed to a certain Taxi by another Driver. There were 4 or 5 present.
it was an older mercedes type, with an Arona No..
There was no visible meter.
He charged 5.60, which I paid exactly.
I was unaware if Prices had gone up too.

A few Days later with a honest Driver the fare was 4.40 with Tip 5..

Does anyone know if the Meter starts when the Engine is started, because a few times I have refused to get in
when this has happened, before I got in the Car....??

No, the meter starts when the driver pushes a button, and the meter will show the base figure, i,e minimum charge which is valid for about 1km, or a certain time duration, meaning you could go 20 meters and then be in a traffic jam, and after a few minutes the meter will start to clock up.

seanocelt
03-03-2012, 13:34
I never thought id say this, but i have taken 5 taxi rides this week, Los Cris to PDLA, Columbus Hotel area, been 4.50 every time, nice drivers AND no surcharge for guitar, mikestand and bag, only one of them asked me to put them in the boot. Shockeroony