PDA

View Full Version : How come steak is so cheap in Tenerife?

dokgolf
04-08-2011, 22:56
This has always bugged me. I can get a reasonable T-bone steak in Tenerife or Gran Canaria for somewhere between 10 and 12 euro. How is this possible? At home, if you could find a steak this size, it would cost somewhere between 30-40 euro. Also, where does the meat come from if there is no grazing land in the Canaries? I presume it would be coming from Africa but if this is the case, what kind of quality controls would it have to pass?:confused:

Jackie
04-08-2011, 23:05
I think most of the meat here comes from Argentina

9PLUS
04-08-2011, 23:05
South America

AL JAY
04-08-2011, 23:08
There are a few cows from Africa but they are hair braiders :wow::whistle:

dokgolf
04-08-2011, 23:10
I know South America and particularly Argentina is famous for its beef, but does anyone know what kind of quality controls are in place i.e. are the inspections up to EU standards?

9PLUS
04-08-2011, 23:13
All imported meat should meet the EU rules..........................why?

dokgolf
04-08-2011, 23:17
All imported meat should meet the EU rules..........................why?

9plus, you replies to posts tonight are very Zenlike! Why?:D

9PLUS
04-08-2011, 23:22
It's the new me

pablo1
04-08-2011, 23:36
You should go in an Aberdeen Steak house and enjoy a lovely 10 oz rat for only 4 euros... Cheap as chips ! :-)

Tom
04-08-2011, 23:59
There are a few cows from Africa but they are hair braiders :wow::whistle:

Thought they where all Mad Cows ?

slodgedad
05-08-2011, 00:10
To me it's all been a big con.

Meat in Tenerife used to be dirt cheap (no EU restrictions) and then Lo and behold, after the SA restrictions all of a sudden it's available again at twice the price.

When I first moved here quality meat was available at less than half the UK price. Now look at the Asda/Tesco/ Morrison adverts and they make you dribble.

All I can say in refererence to the OP is, you are being ripped off, big style, in the UK

junglejim
05-08-2011, 00:42
The majority of steak comes from Uruguay - if you check the labels in Mercadona , it is normally Uruguay for the full fillet of Solomillo, Sirlion - Mercadona on occasion sell T-Bone steaks which work out at €5 for an amazing size - all meat is labelled with source etc. to comply with EU regs, Brazil had an issue a few years ago and were banned - Argentina is too expensive to compete with Uruguay.
Buying a full fillet of Solomillo is about €25 and will give around 12 decent fillet steaks for domestic consumption !
I can vouch it is absolutely delicious !!

Added after 3 minutes:

To me it's all been a big con.

Meat in Tenerife used to be dirt cheap (no EU restrictions) and then Lo and behold, after the SA restrictions all of a sudden it's available again at twice the price.

When I first moved here quality meat was available at less than half the UK price. Now look at the Asda/Tesco/ Morrison adverts and they make you dribble.

All I can say in reference to the OP is, you are being ripped off, big style, in the UK

I am at home in Scotland just now and whilst some of the prices look good , the quality and taste for the price doesnīt compare to the Uruguayan meat - if you want decent Sirloin or Fillet it is much more expensive IMHO

Cookey
05-08-2011, 09:23
I get steak from Mercadona pay about €4 for two, if I want to spend more i will go to the Butchers underneath Malibu Park but get bigger cuts.

Whenever family in the UK ring us we seem to always be having steak for tea and they canīt understand how we can afford to have it so often.:raspberry2:

car1
25-01-2013, 02:30
Fillet steak in tenerife comes from 4 sources, Top Argentina, equivalent to Scotish beef at best over here but you will pay the most for it, next Uraguay,
then Brazil which is a bit hit and miss. ( spanish fillet very good but very expensive ) check what you are getting for what you pay for !!!
personally as a restaurant we recommend Uraguay beef . (carlos Restaurant)

timmylish
25-01-2013, 03:14
I,ve always been fond of horsemeat, myself.

ribuck
25-01-2013, 12:59
And for some reason chicken tastes better in Tenerife than it does in the UK. Maybe it's something to do with the water which they sometimes say is added to chicken in the UK.

Malteser Monkey
25-01-2013, 13:02
And for some reason chicken tastes better in Tenerife than it does in the UK. Maybe it's something to do with the water which they sometimes say is added to chicken in the UK.

Do you not have a local Butcher ? I get all mine from the one in our Village - much better value and the chickens still have the odd feather on 'em ! You can smell and taste the difference - no added water and the meat so tender. One to feed about 4/5 people Ģ4.50 and they have just increased their prices

Suej
25-01-2013, 13:07
I get steak from Mercadona pay about €4 for two, if I want to spend more i will go to the Butchers underneath Malibu Park but get bigger cuts.

Whenever family in the UK ring us we seem to always be having steak for tea and they canīt understand how we can afford to have it so often.:raspberry2:

I also bought two small bits of of fillet in Mercadona a while ago it was about 7€ put them in my George Forman grill! they were really succulent and tasty! :)

ribuck
25-01-2013, 13:32
Do you not have a local Butcher ?
We do have a local butcher. He has all the old-fashioned stuff like tripe and black pudding and pigs kidneys, but not those new-fangled things like chicken.

Anyway, I'll be in Tenerife from Monday so I'll be enjoying the Canarian food for a few weeks.

Marianne
25-01-2013, 15:30
Out of order, no?
Thought they where all Mad Cows ?

blondie
25-01-2013, 15:57
It must just be me then but I dont think the steak in Tenerife is either edible or tasty. We have actually given up ordering it when we are out, it cant be everywhere we eat that serves gristley tough meat that does not even resemble the meat we buy at home and NO we do not frequent Aberdeen S~~~t house yeuch!! I await your replies telling me where I WILL get a good steak, arriving Sunday staying in LasAmericas. Thank you

TF1
25-01-2013, 16:13
It must just be me then but I dont think the steak in Tenerife is either edible or tasty. We have actually given up ordering it when we are out, it cant be everywhere we eat that serves gristley tough meat that does not even resemble the meat we buy at home and NO we do not frequent Aberdeen S~~~t house yeuch!! I await your replies telling me where I WILL get a good steak, arriving Sunday staying in LasAmericas. Thank you

Look for any Argentinian parrilla, or any Spanish restaurant who offer Chuletones de Avila.

delderek
25-01-2013, 16:48
The main difference is that meat in Spain is not "hung" long enough (throw back from the past where in warm climates it was dangerous).
Even in the UK, cheap meat is sold without being matured. Good butchers will always hang beef for a minimum of 21 days, 28 days being the optimum. or for instance the "finest" range from supermarkets.

TF1
25-01-2013, 17:13
The main difference is that meat in Spain is not "hung" long enough (throw back from the past where in warm climates it was dangerous).

Thatīs too much of a generalization; in north Spain, the climate is cold, yet only some meats are matured. In Asturias, for example, ultra fresh meat is used and elaborated in different ways, and the steaks are far superior to anything Iīve ever tried in the UK. Also, remember that areas such as Salamanca and Zamora have received awards for their meats, and many products from these regions are regarded as the best in the world and can sell for up to 80€ per kilo.

sundownersvince
25-01-2013, 18:50
If I try and hang my mad old cow up she starts gobbing off more than usual. Huh.

Suej
26-01-2013, 13:55

There are some recommendations on the other Steak thread Blondie! Have a look I must say I have had lovely steak at La Brasa in Buzanada!:yum:

madness1
26-01-2013, 14:19
I've nayyyyyyyy idea

golf birdie
26-01-2013, 14:36

you are not alone. Good steak is hard to find. The only place I will order steak in Tenerife is La Terraza del Mar in Las Americas. I always ask for the red wine sauce in a pouring jug I cannot eat steak without being able to see the meat 1st. If you are looking for a great place to eat give It a try, not the cheapest place but you get what you pay for.