PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Rights Office : What to do if you think you've been ripped off in Tenerife

YOUNG GOLFER
05-08-2011, 12:17
Just wanted to put the details on here for anyone who feels they have been hard done by, treated badly or ripped off by any business here in Tenerife.

Think a lot of you members will remember the story on the couple I helped out a couple of years back…. If not then here it is again for the benefit of all members, though you can read the original thread on the old forum installation here : http://old.tenerifeforum.com/showthread.php?t=65869

saw a couple yesterday, both deaf and one in a wheelchair, go pass my office into the complex where they are on holiday. The lady in the wheelchair was crying so took no more notice of it, then a guy came into my office and said an old couple have just been ripped off big time, i said go get them and bring them into my office and I'll see if I can help...

Again a quick version... They went to a electronics shop was given a video camera was for sale for 20 euros. The bloke took her debit card and took off the sum of 1.465€....
over 3 hours of being bullied again the story gets worst but will update it later....

I am taking them to the Oficina de Consumo at 09.30 in Adeje and I'm going to try my best to help them get their money back.

The camera will set you back 150 euros case, leads everything, but to take off so much money makes me sick... How can anyone take advantage of a deaf couple and one of them being in a wheelchair?

I have all the receipts, everything... wish me luck in trying to get them sorted.

5 HOURS LATER 2ND post.

good news after a long 5 hours i managed to sort it all out..

i will tell you all later what happened..i have learned a lot and will share it all with you soon.

but for now great news they have their 1.450 euros back.....

3RD POST.

I met a girl called Maria and what a star she was. She got on the phone right away and spoke to the owner.. told him that he must pay the money back at once or he will be shut down. She knew this guy and my god she took NO **** whatsoever.

The couple were both crying out of joy. I think the thought they would not get their money back. We left that office with kisses and big hugs and I can't tell you how helpful they were. We could have taken them to court, but as the couple were only here for a week the best thing was just to get the money back.

So, off we went to the shop the lady was too scared to go in, so waited in my car. Well, first thing they did was surround me and I just said, "Yes? Can i help you ?"

They asked who I was, and i told them I was from the British Consulate. (It was the first thing that came into my head.)

They were being rude, so I said, "Just do what the letter says and we will be gone."

He made a song and dance, wanting to offer goods instead of money, but I said, "We will be back in a bit with the police."

And we did. We rang them, and they came to meet us, read the letter and went into the shop... It was funny, before there was 5 guys in the shop, but when the police came only two were there...? The police didn't take any rubbish from them and you could see the guys were sick we had got the police but we had no other option. The police told them they were sick of coming back to the same shop every week and told them to give the money back right away.... And that was that. They did give all the money back and we went on our way.

Back at the office the couple were over the moon more tears, but of joy rather than anything else.

So, there you go if anyone has any problems (on holiday) then please go to the Oficina de Consumo. Don't go to the police station, go to the Oficina de Consumo... and if you do have problems getting the money back then get the police (but take with you someone who speaks the lingo when you go to the Oficina de Consumo, That's a must).

It was very easy, and with the letter Maria wrote it made things so much better not having to explain the whole thing to the police. They read it, rang the office, talked to Maria, and that was that... BUT please anyone on holiday if you are going to buy something like this, then please only go to proper shops not the ones you see on every corner.. or better still buy it in the UK. It's a lot cheaper there these days!

In order to close these shops, the courts are the right place to go but due to the majority of people being on holiday, that isn't likely to happen, that's why they are the target. Easy pickings. I have even noticed that they are using English or British PRs standing outside these shops saying "20 euros for a video camera" ..please, just keep walking do not stop.

I'd like to say thanks to Maria (bunch of flowers on the way soon) and thank you to a estate agent near by that shop who gave us water and let me use the phone. Thanks to the bank staff who came out to show their disgust and the taxi drivers too. Oh, and of course the police for a great job.

its been a great day and I said to this Welsh couple, please don't let this put you off Tenerife, just promise me you will be back again and they said they will be back, they promise...

For anyone wishing to buy from shops like this in Tenerife the please do the following.

Make sure you get a receipt (with the full price on it) from the shop with their CIF number, address and phone number this is very IMPORTANT.
If they won’t provide this THEN DON’T BUY IT.

If you then need to report any wrong doings, then go to the Consumer Rights office (Oficina de Consumo) in the area where you purchased the product. (List below of the main ones)

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE :

The product that you bought
Your passports
The credit card receipt
Receipt from the shop

They did speak English to the couple I went with... but if possible take someone along who can speak Spanish.

LIST OF OFFICES

ADEJE
Adeje (38670)
General Franco. s/n
Tfno: 922 710 120 / 922 710 225
Fax: 922 780 606 / 922 710 405

ARONA
Arona (38650)
Centro Cultural Los Cristianos
C/Gral. Franco s/n
Tfno: 922 757 137 ; Fax: 922 757 138

Here are some other areas of Tenerife :

Buenavista (38480)
C/Alhondiga, 5
Telefono : 922 127 175 / 922 127 176
Fax: 922 127 108

Garachico (38450)
Plaza de la Libertad, 1
Tfno: 922 830 000 /922 830 001
Fax: 922 831 301

Güimar (38500)
C/ Poeta Aristides Hernandez, s/n
Tfno: 922 514 134 ; Fax: 922 513 357

Icod de Los Vinos (38430)
C/Manuel Gonzalez Trujillo, 12
Tfno: 922 811 403 ; Fax: 922 813 812

La Guancha (38440)
C/ Solipica s/n
Tfno: 922 130 210 ; Fax:: 922 130 210

La Laguna (38201)
Pza. del Adelantado s/n
Tfno: 922 601 100 ; Fax: 922 601 102

La Orotava (38300)
Gral. Franco s/n
tfno: 922 330 050 ; Fax: 922 334 512

Los Realejos (38410)
C/ San Agustín, 7 - Edif. Mancomunidad del Norte
Tfno: 922 346 180 ; Fax 922 341 374

Los Silos (38470)
Plaza de la Luz
Tfno: 922 840 004 ; Fax: 922 840 117

Puerto de la Cruz (38400)
C/ Luis de La Cruz, 5
Tfno y Fax: 922 387 060

Santa Cruz de Tenerife (38005)
C/Villalba Hervas, 12 - 2º
Tfno: 922 606 130 ; Fax: 922 245 938

Santiago del Teide (38683)
Avda. Maritima - Playa de la Arena
Tfno. y Fax : 922 860 348

Tacoronte (38350)
C/Juez Jorge Garcia, 32 b
Tfno: 922 562 649 ; Fax: 922 562 590

Tegueste (38280)
Plaza de San Marcos,1
Tfno: 922 541 799 ; Fax:: 922 540 903

DON’T FORGET : EVEN IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY YOU HAVE RIGHTS!

Leam_Lin
05-08-2011, 14:22
Can you name the shop & tell us exactly where it is.

KirstyJay
05-08-2011, 14:28
I believe the shop was originally named in the thread on the old forum, so if you follow the link at the top of YGs post, you can read it there... however there are loads of shops that do this, so naming one leaves the 100s of others un-named. The best thing to do is fore-arm yourself with the info and protect yourself from all of them :)

Balcony
05-08-2011, 17:05
Don't forget

If you feel you have been grossly overcharged, or cheated by a shop you have the option to go to the police and make a complaint. However, all shops must have on the premises, a book called "Ojos de Reclamacions" into which you can demand your complaint is entered.

You will need to complete the necessary information and sign the form, after which you will be given the top-copy which you send to the Inspector's address on the form. The Inspector will investigate and advise you of the outcome. This matter is very serious and you can, afterwards, further your claim by complaint to the Tourist Office, Consumer Protection Office, or to the police. In general you will deal with the local police (policia local), who wear blue uniforms. In some circumstances you may come across the civil guard (guardia civil) who wear green uniforms.The offices of the Guardia Civil may be found in Playa de las Americas.

cainaries
05-08-2011, 17:09
We would just love to take out a denuncia against a Town Hall which is holding our 'guarantee' (against building works) of nearly €7,000. If anyone has any idea of how we might go about it, we'd be really interested to hear it. The building works were completed in 2009. Cedula issued July 2010. Refund finally authorised by Technical Office April 2011 but still no refund and we've been told it certainly won't be before October. Don't call us, we'll call you. It's outrageous but we are really stumped over what to do about it. All advice gratefully received. We did consult an abogado but he claimed, oddly in our view, that it was a technical issue not a legal one.

Cruise
06-08-2011, 13:45
We would just love to take out a denuncia against a Town Hall which is holding our 'guarantee' (against building works) of nearly €7,000. If anyone has any idea of how we might go about it, we'd be really interested to hear it. The building works were completed in 2009. Cedula issued July 2010. Refund finally authorised by Technical Office April 2011 but still no refund and we've been told it certainly won't be before October. Don't call us, we'll call you. It's outrageous but we are really stumped over what to do about it. All advice gratefully received. We did consult an abogado but he claimed, oddly in our view, that it was a technical issue not a legal one.

We had a problem with the Adeje town hall.....they said at the time they had no money so payment will be late....they send us or gave us paperwork saying we were owed xx amount....showed it to our hestor and he said they will defo pay late but by law have to pay interest owing.....I think we got the amount 8 months later with a bit of interest added on

cainaries
06-08-2011, 15:20
We had a problem with the Adeje town hall.....they said at the time they had no money so payment will be late....they send us or gave us paperwork saying we were owed xx amount....showed it to our hestor and he said they will defo pay late but by law have to pay interest owing.....I think we got the amount 8 months later with a bit of interest added on
They paid you INTEREST? This is extremely helpful post as we had not thought of using a gestor. Thank you SO much.

Cruise
13-08-2011, 17:44
you r welcome

Sylla
13-08-2011, 21:11
Thanks YG ...those addresses are useful to keep .....We had a similar experience a few years ago ....We were staying in Sunset Bay ....The manageress Miss Lupe sorted it all out for us with the consumer office ..we didn't have to do a thing , except go back to the shop and collect our money ... they were a bit rude to us in the shop , but the next day as we were passing by they were all smiles and tried to get us back into the shop :grrrr:

kellyman
15-08-2011, 16:45
I have been confronted with these people. They offer a camera for €20 just to get you in the shop. Naturally I always resist. Telling them that I live here usually deters them. I think it would be a good idea to put the name and address of the shop on the forum. This way a good many people would be fore warned and can avoid these establishments.

Sylla
15-08-2011, 16:55
I have been confronted with these people. They offer a camera for €20 just to get you in the shop. Naturally I always resist. Telling them that I live here usually deters them. I think it would be a good idea to put the name and address of the shop on the forum. This way a good many people would be fore warned and can avoid these establishments.

I seem to remember the shop we had the altercation with was called "The Professor" .... and they had 3 shops close by in the Puerto Colon area ...not sure if they are are still there as I haven't been to that area for a few years now ... but the shops were near to the steps at the bottom ,that come down from the upper level ....

dixie4
04-09-2011, 22:41
Bit of help please.

What is the law in Spain regarding faulty goods?

In UK if a shop sells goods that fail within the guarantee period it is the shop where you bought the item you deal with not with the manufacturer.

Is it not the same in Spain?

The item in question only cost about 30 euro but the shop insists that I have to deal with the manufacturers agent somewhere in the back streets of Santa Cruz!

Considering the cost of fuel and time it would just not be worth it or is this what they are relying on?

SCOTTY42
07-09-2011, 14:27
You have all probably heard this one before.first time in a spanish resort for a holiday.7 days.got ripped off,my own fault really!too trusting.just want to warn people."the swami"c.c. Playa,local1,san eugenia bajo,38660 adeje.shop by the seafront.do not go into!they really are con artists.forcefull,get you to buy something,you pay,then they start the patter and pressure to buy something better.only it's not.!you ask for money back,more pressure.because you are not sure of anything you relent and are fleeced.these people have been mentioned in other forums and have been sued allready.yet they are still allowed to prey on honest visitors to tenerife.which unfortunately makes people scared to go into honest shops and buy anything,which must be bad for honest businesses.it will not deter me from visiting again.but it means i will also be on guard more,and may be not so willing to be friendly.my first impressions of a spanish resort!always be on guard they will rip you off.![i will say i was ripped off by indians not spanish.]i am sure i may learn what to do and what to be wary of in the future.i do think it is wise for anyone visiting a foreign country to read forums like this for practical help and advice.thank you.i would like to know if anyone else has been ripped off by these people.i certainly don't feel comfortable knowing some other people are going to fall victim to them.

beerfan
04-12-2011, 18:57
I would have thought with expensive electronic equipment the best thing to do would be to not buy from some dodgy no-name shop on your holidays in the first place. I sometimes get hassled by traders wanting to flog me cameras (due to my FZ38 being around my neck) but I always refuse in the confident knowledge that the camera I use is much better than anything they could sell me and especially at the price they charge. Basically, never ever trust people like this. It's never done me any harm so far. Just think of them as wasps - they're irritating but if you don't flap about they'll leave you alone.

For expensive electronics you're better off ordering them over the Internet instead IMV.

Balcony
10-12-2011, 14:09
Following on from Beerfan, I am often amazed at conversations with people buying cameras, watches and perfume on Tenerife. There is absolutely nothing wrong in buying such items on Tenerife, but people start the process to buy yet have no clue as to what those items would cost them back home!

Maybe they don't particularly care - nothing wrong with that either. I would want to have some idea!

I did once buy a camera and paid less on Tenerife - not a lot, but enough to make it fun. However, I can remember some oddity when I first went into the shop and was offered a really low price and when I presented a credit card there was a sudden 'problem' and it occurred to me that someone was...er... stock taking!!!!

My only real pieces of advice is do some research on prices, models etc at home and take with you to Tenerife, for example, a copy of a current photography magazine for reference; always keep your wits about you; walk out of the shop if you feel any kind of pressure and any questions you have are not directly answered; never buy after having a few drinks; be as cynical about the purchase as you wish and thoroughly check what you are buying before you pay. You can of course take details of what was offered to you and go to an internet cafe and check out prices on Amazon etc!

tozcal2011
02-03-2012, 20:17
The consumer office of Los Realejos is the best, some say. The main man there is fantastic, indeed. Also mind the consumer offices are not for home owner problems. Those must go see an 'administrador de fincas' or a lawyer.

redarrow
13-03-2012, 11:30
Just to warn people. There is a Fish Spa that has opened near us recently. Thing is, this is just a front for other things they are doing. They are targeting old people and doing the camera swap con. They are also changing money and slipping in the odd fake 20 euro note.

We are trying to take steps to stop this, but it's really difficult to make a complaint yourself. My other half was really given the run around by different organisations over the weekend. Guardia Civil sent her to the police station, who said she had to go to the Cristianos police station, which is only open three mornings a week, who told her she had to raise a denuncia, which is pretty pointless.

Just don't go near them, they are just thieving lying gits. They are on the beach path around the corner from Mack's Bar.

Leam_Lin
13-03-2012, 11:52
Thanks, whereabouts is 'Mack's Bar.

redarrow
13-03-2012, 12:33
Thanks, whereabouts is 'Mack's Bar.

Compostela Beach I. There's a path leading from opposite Zara, to the beach. It is at the bottom of the path to the right where these robbers are. I can't stress enough what a bunch of bullies they are. They even have a looky minder hanging around when people confront them.

redarrow
29-03-2012, 09:57
Just as an update. We (and others) made a complaint to the community administrators about this shop. Last Sunday, they had a visit from the police and have not opened since. I have asked around and they have been telling people they have had a death in the family and will be open again soon. I'm not so sure this is the truth, it's a bit of a coincidence isn't it?

I have heard that people going in to exchange money have not been getting the rate advertised. They say the rate advertised is for travellers cheques only. As they are unable to accept travellers cheques, it is obviously another con. They in fact have only been giving 1.13 instead of the rate advertised at 1.18, which only a fool would be selling at, at this time.

Hopefully, they have gone for good. But all this really means is they will set up somewhere else.

earwig
29-09-2013, 11:26
I seem to remember the shop we had the altercation with was called "The Professor" .... and they had 3 shops close by in the Puerto Colon area ...not sure if they are are still there as I haven't been to that area for a few years now ... but the shops were near to the steps at the bottom ,that come down from the upper level ....

we unfortuanately went into that shop last year, we were looking around comparing prices for ciggys to take home for someone, and the prices on display were the best we had seen, around 20e for 200 so we asked for 2 cartons and by the time he'd fiddled around with his calculator he said thats 62 euros, so i said hang ona minute im paying 40 not 62 and suddenly out came the bad attitude bit and then before you know it you're arguing with 4 of em, so suffice it to say we told them where to stick their cigarettes and walked out. how they manage to sell anything like that is beyond me..... and another time looking at a nice towel in an indian owned shop the bloke came over, muttered something, popped in into a bag and said '50euros'....... 50 euros!!! ha ha... and the way they follow you around the shop like a pack of wolves is not nice is it... so we say just treat those conning gits with the contempt they deserve..