PDA

View Full Version : Why do they serve chilled red wine in Tenerife?

Sal
05-08-2011, 18:58
Even after many years holidaying in Tenerife, I still can't come to terms with chilled red wine.
Many friends who are residents drink it, but it seems wrong to me. :nono:

So, who likes it chilled and who likes it at room temperature? :wine:

YOUNG GOLFER
05-08-2011, 19:04
Sorry but i have to admit maybe it's because it's Tenerife and it's hotter here but i do like my red wine chilled:wine::cold:

warbey
05-08-2011, 19:08
As I like Red Wine sal, I dont care chilled or Room Temperature.
anything over 20 degrees though, I think, slightly chilled.

atlantico
05-08-2011, 19:11
but which or who's room are we talking about to guage the 'room temperature'?

10-16 degres is recommended, depending on wine, so in Tenerife ALL wines should be chilled - but NOT in fridge, in a proper 10-16 degree chiller !

warbey
05-08-2011, 19:13
but which or who's room are we talking about to guage the 'room temperature'?

10-16 degres is recommended, depending on wine, so in Tenerife ALL wines should be chilled - but NOT in fridge, in a proper 10-16 degree chiller !

As I wasnt aware of these recommendations I feel a little pleased I wasnt so far away.
Thanks for that.

atlantico
05-08-2011, 19:18
just do an internet search for red wine chillers - there's a reason why they sell them AND why they're so expensive.

I have a 88 bottle chiller and it cost Ģ2,500 - 6 years ago !

Sal
05-08-2011, 19:20
just do an internet search for red wine chillers - there's a reason why they sell them AND why they're so expensive.

Could you not just use a fridge?

warbey
05-08-2011, 19:32
Could you not just use a fridge?

These have different Temperature Ranges
as do Freezers..

marbro8
05-08-2011, 19:45
Sorry but i have to admit maybe it's because it's Tenerife and it's hotter here but i do like my red wine chilled:wine::cold:philistine:D

Sal
05-08-2011, 19:49
Sorry, somebody changed my thread title!
I know they serve chilled red wine in other parts of the world too, but for me I still have to have it unchilled.
I recall ordering a round of drinks in Tenerife and one resident wanted red wine. I was asked at the bar if it was chilled or "normal" so I naturally asked for normal. My Tenerife friend then took her glass back to the bar for ice!

marbro8
05-08-2011, 19:50
Even after many years holidaying in Tenerife, I still can't come to terms with chilled red wine.
Many friends who are residents drink it, but it seems wrong to me. :nono:

So, who likes it chilled and who likes it at room temperature? :wine:for years i used to think it was normal to drink red wine straight from the fridge, then my brother in law told me to try it at room temp and take the cork out and let it stand for about 20 mins, wow what a difference!!! it was like drinking 2 completely different bottles of wine!!

TOTO 99
05-08-2011, 19:53

You need to get in touch with the AA....and I don't mean about your car..:laugh:

Suej
05-08-2011, 19:53
I know they serve chilled red wine in other parts of the world too, but for me I still have to have it unchilled.
I recall ordering a round of drinks in Tenerife and one resident wanted red wine. I was asked at the bar if it was chilled or "normal" so I naturally asked for normal. My Tenerife friend then took her glass back to the bar for ice!

I also only like red wine at room temperature even if it is cheap plonk!...the only problem with that over here is itīs a lot warmer in the room normally! I keep mine down in the garage now as itīs much cooler down there in the summer. :)

princessmonika
05-08-2011, 20:45
only have room temp. when it is a very good class wine, otherwise cooled is better for cheaper red wine

Ecky Thump
05-08-2011, 20:56

Is it like my car, the tank holds 15 gallons, but all I can afford is 3 gallons!:cry:

Sal
05-08-2011, 21:09
Is it like my car, the tank holds 15 gallons, but all I can afford is 3 gallons!:cry:

What car do you have.............a Micra???

Sorry this is going to get shifted to "Off Topic"...................Eric's fault! :twak:

cainaries
05-08-2011, 21:11
I also only like red wine at room temperature even if it is cheap plonk!...the only problem with that over here is itīs a lot warmer in the room normally! I keep mine down in the garage now as itīs much cooler down there in the summer. :)
Very good idea, Suej. Is your garage attached to the Tenerife Dungeon, by any chance?

OH drinks his red chilled in summer and autumn and 'chambre' in winter and autumn. I drink my white chilled all the time .. and I mean all the time. Here if you order red wine in a restaurant in the summer it normally arrives chilled unless you have specified you want it at room temperature. Since all the wine here is extremely young, chilling it doesn't do it any harm.

Ecky Thump
05-08-2011, 21:13
What car do you have.............a Micra???

A BMW 335, A Audi A3s and a Golf GTi.

I'm a rich git, but too mean to buy the fuel.;)

cainaries
05-08-2011, 21:13

Now she really is a philistine! Though she was probably just trying to make a point.

johnh1
05-08-2011, 21:27
I always have mine chilled AND with ice. Best way to drink it.

Malteser Monkey
05-08-2011, 21:54
when it's intraveniously thread does it matter:yum:

cainaries
05-08-2011, 22:15
when it's intraveniously thread does it matter:yum:
ER, no, probably not. What HAVE you been on MM?

kieraj
05-08-2011, 22:32
has to be chilled when I drink it, even here in the north of England.:yum:

timmylish
05-08-2011, 23:16
I honestly still believe that it very much depends on the type and age of the red wine. eg. Very young wine, less than 2 years old, Canarian Red, again mostly because of age and the fact that the vines are growing in volcanic ash and any reds which have been blended with other reds to improve the taste and body, really should be served at room temp or lower (at the very least 20C or below). Beaujolais nouveau is an example of French red wine which is recommended to be served chilled, 14-16c. Simply because the wine is made to be drunk young and has no body so chilling it gives it an edge. I would also add, however, that I would have thought it sacrilegious to serve a good, full bodied Burgundy, at anything less than 20C, possible slightly warm room temp.
Of course when all is said and done how you wish your red wine served is entirely up to you and not having someone telling you otherwise.

TIS
06-08-2011, 00:15
philistine:D
I'm with the philistines!

steve
06-08-2011, 00:46
Room Temperature is recommended in UK. Here it is too high (see details on the back of the bottle) but around 18C max is best for all red wines. Anything less will kill some flavour (but chilled good if it is a bottle or a box from Lidl)! Try Cune or similar at 18c - perfect.

anegib
06-08-2011, 11:09
None of my Tenerifian friends will drink room temperature red wine. If I take a bottle with me to their house they put it straight into the freezer for a while before opening.
So now keep red wine in the fridge for them.

Malteser Monkey
06-08-2011, 12:57
ER, no, probably not. What HAVE you been on MM?

A few red wines - lurvely.

Just had fish finger sarnies for brunch !!!:yum:

Good morning

Davie Thistle
06-08-2011, 13:29
.....coz it's the only way to drink it!!!:spin:

Pooh
06-08-2011, 13:54
"Room temperature" refers to old times, when normal room temperature often was about 15C.
Room temperature here in Tenerife is certainly way too high serving temperature for wine, and always has been.

Here is a good article about it:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jul/05/tim-atkin-chilled-red-wine

Sundowner
06-08-2011, 16:15
The best bet is to try chilling your wine to suit your own taste. Start with 20 mins if not enough 30 and so on..........
We all be different in our tastes:)

junglejim
06-08-2011, 17:44
I honestly still believe that it very much depends on the type and age of the red wine. eg. Very young wine, less than 2 years old, Canarian Red, again mostly because of age and the fact that the vines are growing in volcanic ash and any reds which have been blended with other reds to improve the taste and body, really should be served at room temp or lower (at the very least 20C or below). Beaujolais nouveau is an example of French red wine which is recommended to be served chilled, 14-16c. Simply because the wine is made to be drunk young and has no body so chilling it gives it an edge. I would also add, however, that I would have thought it sacrilegious to serve a good, full bodied Burgundy, at anything less than 20C, possible slightly warm room temp.
Of course when all is said and done how you wish your red wine served is entirely up to you and not having someone telling you otherwise.

OOH The banter Timmy !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T5K1HxEBCU

warbey
06-08-2011, 20:22
A BMW 335, A Audi A3s and a Golf GTi.

I'm a rich git, but too mean to buy the fuel.;)

You forgot the VAN.:pinkcar: