PDA

View Full Version : Are you a safe driver or crazy one here in Tenerife?

YOUNG GOLFER
05-08-2011, 18:59
Just been out for a few hours putting on property and have to say i was shocked by some of the bad driving today.....and no word of a lie both cases today were woman drivers.

Now i know we have nowhere near as many speed cameras like they do in the UK(maybe we should) but i could not believe that one of these woman found the need to over take were it clearly states the speed limit of 50 in a built up area.

The other woman found the need to overtake on the inside of a roundabout just missing the car.

Now i don't know about you guys but things like that really get on my nerves......why can't they and other drivers in a hurry just leave 5 mins early.

Rant over:steeringwheel:

Greg
05-08-2011, 19:07
"The other woman found the need to overtake on the inside of a roundabout just missing the car."

Oh dear, you aren't one of those drivers that insists on driving all the way round a roundabout in the out side lane are you? :twak:

woodchip68
05-08-2011, 19:37
Have a look at my post, this may help.

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?7527-A-solution-to-stop-tail-gaters&p=72539#post72539

tracey_in_tenerife
05-08-2011, 21:11
Well!! i am always behind some old guy who is decides hes on a go slow doing 20kph in a 60kph zone :steeringwheel:

cainaries
05-08-2011, 21:18
Before we left the UK in 2005 OH and I both agreed the most dangerous thing on the road was a woman under 30 in a VW Golf with all the trimmings. Still true here but the car is no longer relevant. Yesterday I was cut up at a set of traffic lights by a young girl with hair and attitude in one of those kind of old Toyota mini-pick-ups with a reg along the lines of TF .... J. She sat in front of me at the next set of lights beeping at her friends, fluffing up her hair and when the light went green .. she stalled. Then, of course, she started to roll backwards towards me. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Fortunately she managed to pull up before she hit me, crash the gears and drive off.

Goforgold
05-08-2011, 22:30
Beware of old me in caps too :(

obs
06-08-2011, 00:21
Beware of old me in caps too :(

I'll watch for you gfg :agree:

CIM
06-08-2011, 00:49
The drivers here are terrible - especially the Canarian women...
They just dont seem to get the basics, have no idea what roundabouts are and seem completely incapable of anticipating what other road users are doing/going to do. Their spatial awareness seems non-existent - the amount of scrapes and knock cars have is testament to the fact. I saw a bloke crack into the car in front of him three times the other night trying to reverse out of a parking space on a hill. Ragged it and ragged it, kept rolling forward bumping into the other car - duhhh!!! Try putting the handbrake on, finding the bite, then releasing the handbrake and reversing - moron!
It is a very selfish style of driving here which is incredibly annoying - and dangerous.

YOUNG GOLFER
06-08-2011, 00:59
The drivers here are terrible - especially the Canarian women...
They just dont seem to get the basics, have no idea what roundabouts are and seem completely incapable of anticipating what other road users are doing/going to do. Their spatial awareness seems non-existent - the amount of scrapes and knock cars have is testament to the fact. I saw a bloke crack into the car in front of him three times the other night trying to reverse out of a parking space on a hill. Ragged it and ragged it, kept rolling forward bumping into the other car - duhhh!!! Try putting the handbrake on, finding the bite, then releasing the handbrake and reversing - moron!
It is a very selfish style of driving here which is incredibly annoying - and dangerous.

They will get caught sooner or later....

http://bestsmileys.com/cars/2.gif

anegib
06-08-2011, 11:05
I agree that the standard of driving on this island is very bad. They do not seem to know that they have signal lights to let you know where they are going. Also annoys me when they decide to stop in the middle of the road for a chat with an amigo and expect you to sit behind them and patiently wait till they finish their conversation.
They also race up and down our quiet mountain roads [men and women] cutting corners and putting the fear of God up you when you meet them on your side of the road.

cainaries
06-08-2011, 11:22
I agree that the standard of driving on this island is very bad. They do not seem to know that they have signal lights to let you know where they are going. Also annoys me when they decide to stop in the middle of the road for a chat with an amigo and expect you to sit behind them and patiently wait till they finish their conversation.
They also race up and down our quiet mountain roads [men and women] cutting corners and putting the fear of God up you when you meet them on your side of the road.
Sounds to me like you are on La Palma! Absolutely perfect description of the roads here. Only thing to add is always stopping in the road itself outside the shop they want to pop into without bothering to even put on the hazard lights.

Tom & Sharon
06-08-2011, 13:14
Just been out for a few hours putting on property and have to say i was shocked by some of the bad driving today.....and no word of a lie both cases today were woman drivers.

Now i know we have nowhere near as many speed cameras like they do in the UK(maybe we should) but i could not believe that one of these woman found the need to over take were it clearly states the speed limit of 50 in a built up area.

The other woman found the need to overtake on the inside of a roundabout just missing the car.

Now i don't know about you guys but things like that really get on my nerves......why can't they and other drivers in a hurry just leave 5 mins early.

Rant over:steeringwheel:

My sincerest apologies YG, Sharon had just been out to collect my supply of Magners and i was really thirsty :trink:

Seriously though, in the UK i drive at speed on the motorways as i work Nationally, but here in Tenerife i amble about on the roads and there's always some ejit who wants to overtake you.
Yesterday i was on the Chafiras industrial estate going to the Golf and some balloon decided to overtake me in a Transit van (where's Andy0210? :D) as we were approaching a T junction on the left and the poor soul who was pulling out of the junction had to slam on to avoid a collision.

Tom

russell
17-09-2012, 02:21
hey guys you are not alone we got bad selfish drivers in the uk as well and i should know im a driving instructor and im out on the roads every day .