PDA

View Full Version : My recent holiday happenings in Tenerife.

Margaretta
05-06-2011, 13:50
We are now able to spend whole months in Tenerife due to having retired at Christmas. We are staying in our apartment each alternate month except for the Summer when it is too hot and too crowded and it is a fabulous experience every time we go.

We had dreams of joining various groups on retirement but now we realise that if you are a sporadic visitor you can't commit to anything without letting people down or not being there for the finale of something etc. We love our apartment but it has no garden and a very hot balcony so we come home partly for hubby to indulge his love of gardening. Sport too is a problem....no Sky TV on our complex so it means taxiing about 10 mins each way and then having to be sociable when he'd rather concentrate on the match!! I'm trying to encourage a move. You have to think about what you could do when you retire in two places.....is there enough to keep both of you busy? I'm happy because there is a lot to photograph and paint in Tenerife.

We both like walking although not as far as we used to. Every visit brings new explorations as well as all the old familiar places. I loved the simple ruggedness of the tiny bay of Las Maretas; fishing and one bar/restaurant by the sea. We walked up on the hills and were sad to see a woman cave-dweller whose home was literally a 'hole in the hillside'.

May is the time of plants, wonderfully coloured ground-cover which made you think you were walking on a magic-carpet planet.

We enjoyed the walk in the foam from one end to the other of the beautiful 'untamed' beach of El Medano; my first chance to really look at the rocks on it's 'right side' facing the sea. No bars, shops it was a lovely change but would have liked a loo.....

We nearly went to the Chinese shop early on the morning of the terrible event that happened there. We changed our minds in the car en route and went elsewhere. I'm still looking for the spice rack WITHOUT spice jars...I have enough of those already. Whilst we were fortunate to miss the occurence we felt so very sorry for that poor lady and her family.

We went to Izana and how I longed to visit the telescopes but they are kept at a distance. it must be a dream place to work. The area around was fabulous and the plants in full flower.

Churros con chocolate. Why not make my own? I bought frozen churros to deep fry but couldn't find the chocolate. In the end a nice young man in Alteser responded to my mime and pigeon-Spanish. You buy it in a block(next to Cadbury's, also purchased of course, and it's got a picture of a cup and saucer with melted chocolate on the front.
I thought I would have to melt it carefully in a bowl over boiled water for ages in case it became lumpy, but no. Simples. You just heat a cup of milk gently, put it aside, drop in the chocolate, whisk and the result is: stuff the churros.....yummy!!!!!!!!!

A painting for lovers of Tenerife and to practise adding a photo.
I've tried to depict the natural layers of the island without worrying about perspective. It was fun.

Jackie
05-06-2011, 13:58
As always Margaretta a very descriptive post. love the bit about stuff the Churros haha. Please please please after our chat on FB do something with you paintings. You are so talented and they would make a beautiful asset to any home.

Harmonicaman
05-06-2011, 14:33
Lovely post Margaretta and what a beautiful painting! You are one talented lady!:hat:

tizzywizzy
05-06-2011, 14:43
loved your post Margaretta so descriptive and i felt i was there in reading it. Your painting is so beautiful,what a talent you have. I hope you will let us see more sometime

pamywamy
05-06-2011, 14:52
loved your post Margaretta so descriptive and i felt i was there in reading it. Your painting is so beautiful,what a talent you have. I hope you will let us see more sometime

I agree with the above post. was lovely to read Margaretta's post. I love all the walks but can not draw or paint. lol. Hope we get to see more of the paintings.:idea::hello::)

timmylish
05-06-2011, 15:46
In your lovely painting I,m glad to see that someone has included the "Stone Rose" which often goes unnoticed by visitors here! Fantastic.

CIM
05-06-2011, 17:40
Hi Margaretta, if you have broadband then tell you husband to go and check http://myp2p.eu/ which lists all live sports events which are available (often not legally) over the internet. I do exactly the same with my Football, often canŽt be bothered to go down to a bar to watch it, prefer relaxing at home most of the time. There is alsorts of software available for download on there for all the different formats the sports are shown in. If he gets stuck, have a browse on their forum for advice and help: http://www.myp2pforum.eu/
Once acquainted with how things work, youŽll rarely go without live sport again!

warbey
05-06-2011, 18:35
I love Your eloquence in word and Picture
Long may it continue.
(especially now You both can get the Sports Programmes).
I also empathise re Gardening and Plants..

Margaretta
06-06-2011, 09:14
Thank you for all the lovely comments. My aim was to encourage other people to write about their holiday happenings too....because I'm NOSEY!!!:hello::lol:

Jackie, that's so kind but I'm an amateur who loves Tenerife and enjoys painting features, the landscape and soon: the people! I'm just beginning to learn on my own. I look back at horrendous mistakes. I don't mind sharing if my paintings make people smile and happy but it is far better for them to have the paintings of real, known painters and there are some fabulous Spanish real artists in Tenerife. There are many galleries in the south including Los Abrigos, El Ajilbe (spelling?) (The Cistern) below the Town Hall in San Miguel, Chayofa and Armenime. In the meantime I'm having fun splashing about and trying to improve.

Timmylish, the rose rock. It is a stunning feature but I've discovered some new ones!!! If you walk down the road to the sea opposite the Premier bar in Amarilla Golf you will reach the coastal path (gravelly...wear trainers!) and look over at the little coves and walk either side. There are some beautiful rose formations and one can imagine how the lava must have twisted, cooled and pressed to form these.

CIM...phew! Great info! Thank you. We haven't got Broadband but it will certainly encourage hubby to look into one of those gongly things. I'm feeding him up whilst talking him into a Netbook....laptop's a but too lumpy in the hand luggage.

ddoyle
06-06-2011, 20:46
My brotherinlaw brought his Ipad with him two weeks ago it's a great little piece of technology, sorry we missed you while we were out hopefully next time. Still on track for our move in September cardiologist permitting.

TenerifeFanatic
06-06-2011, 21:38
Lovely post!!:lol:

gary d
06-06-2011, 22:05
if you have sky sports at home then you can get a password from them and login to watch all live sport on-line.when this first started it was free but i think its about 4 or 5 quid a month now which you would save by not having to use taxis

Margaretta
07-06-2011, 09:22
Gary, didn't know that....another great option. Thank you.x