PDA

View Full Version : Why don't Monarch supply in flight entertainment any more?

Su1
05-06-2011, 14:39
:headphones::headphones:

Monarch advertises that it provides in flight entertainment on its flights to the Canaries. We regularly travel with Monarch from Luton to Tenerife and have not had any in flight entertainment for yonks! We always take our own headsets but they remain in the hand luggage. When we first board we now look at the armrests to see if they have any slots for headphones....The flight attendants say its probably because the plane has been substitited. Al I can say that we must always travel on 'subsituted' aircraft!! I contacted monarch and they say its not part of the contract to provide entertainment.

I would be interested to hear how many of you actually do have the inflight entertainment on your journeys with Monarch.......if so from which airport etc.

:headphones::airplane:

longtallalice
05-06-2011, 15:20
we recently travelled monarch from manchester and had a couple of hours of entertainment , secret shopper, top gear and miranda ! but have been on monarch flights in the past when nothing has been shown so who knows !

AL JAY
05-06-2011, 15:49
we recently travelled monarch from manchester and had a couple of hours of entertainment , secret shopper, top gear and miranda ! but have been on monarch flights in the past when nothing has been shown so who knows !

We had the same out of Manchester last week on the 7:55am Tuesday flight but there were plenty of empty seats so decided to have a couple of hours kip!

delderek
05-06-2011, 16:45
:headphones::headphones:

Monarch advertises that it provides in flight entertainment on its flights to the Canaries. We regularly travel with Monarch from Luton to Tenerife and have not had any in flight entertainment for yonks! We always take our own headsets but they remain in the hand luggage. When we first board we now look at the armrests to see if they have any slots for headphones....The flight attendants say its probably because the plane has been substitited. Al I can say that we must always travel on 'subsituted' aircraft!! I contacted monarch and they say its not part of the contract to provide entertainment.

I would be interested to hear how many of you actually do have the inflight entertainment on your journeys with Monarch.......if so from which airport etc.

:headphones::airplane:

Monarch "Charter" "MON" flights have entertainment, Schedule "ZB" dont.

Su1
05-06-2011, 18:45
Monarch "Charter" "MON" flights have entertainment, Schedule "ZB" dont.
Then why do they advertise on the Monarch website for Monarch ZB flights that there is entertainment on the 'longer' flights??

Have heard recently that Monarch may be leaving the charter martket and then all flights will be ZB.

marbro8
05-06-2011, 18:53
Then why do they advertise on the Monarch website for Monarch ZB flights that there is entertainment on the 'longer' flights??

Have heard recently that Monarch may be leaving the charter martket and then all flights will be ZB.we regularly fly on the ZB flight from birmingham and were told that it was not cost effective to show entertainment anymore because of the cost of the upkeep of the screens,but recently they have been showing some programmes, but not worth watching, so i have brought my own personal dvd player for £50 and take a few cheap films with me:lol:

Su1
05-06-2011, 20:44
We too have bought a DVD player and have a ipod but my gripe is .....Monarch still advertise in-flight entertainment so to my mind it should be availble!

marbro8
05-06-2011, 20:46
We too have bought a DVD player and have a ipod but my gripe is .....Monarch still advertise in-flight entertainment so to my mind it should be availble!maybe if enough people complain then they would do something about it? but tbh i much prefer my own dvd player

Dan747
07-06-2011, 00:56
wwere told that it was not cost effective to show entertainment anymore because of the cost of the upkeep of the screens

It's not just the equipment costs, to have inflight entertainment airlines have to pay a licence fee and also royalty fees, simply put, with the lower fares that passengers now demand, airlines can no longer justify the costs for inflight entertainment. It's also worth noting that a lot of passengers now bring ipods or a laptop etc, therefore making inflight entertainment redundant.

Monarch are not alone in starting to stop inflight entertainment, Thomas Cook have also done this, however they decided to switch to portable devices which could be rented instead, however the uptake hasn't been brilliant and they are now scrapping them. Shortly Thomson will also stop inflight entertainment on short and medium haul flights.

Inflight entertainment will soon be a thing of the past apart from on long-haul flights.

Unless passengers start turning away from the no frills rock bottom fares of Ryanair and pay more to receive a good level of service, that's how it's going to be.

leskriett
10-06-2011, 08:29
Hi All,

I can't comment on Monarch but I was told a couple of months ago that thomson and thomas cook would be stopping the in flight entertainment. We recently (3 weeks ago) flew to kefalonia with thomson and outbound we had a film but on the inbound nothing. Apparently they had decided to stop the entertainment on any flight under 6 1/2 hours as they had seen thomas cook do it and not many people complained (found this info on a cabin crew forum). My gripe was on the outbound they made a big deal of telling you the headsets could be saved for the way back but "forgot" to mention there would be no sound coming through them. Thomson are also stopping pre booked meals from Winter this year. We've just booked to tenerife in november (with Thomson) and you now cant book a meal at all. It does specify you will be able to purchase food on board still though. Personally I can cope with a few hours of boredom if it means my flight is ultimately cheaper.

Lee.

lcbandit
10-06-2011, 21:26
if thomson and thomas cook are stopping the entertainment, to keep up with the market they need to allow people to have more than 5kg of hand luggage and move to the 10 as everyone else has that are offering cheaper flights

when I travelled with monarch we had entertainment both ways but it was the scheduled flight

Dan747
11-06-2011, 00:13
That is one of the issues with Thomson and Thomas Cook, when they started charging for hold baggage, they did not increase their hand baggage allowance, somewhat sneaky really as most people couldn't get away with just 5kg so will have to pay extra for hold luggage.

However at the same time, Thomas Cook and Thomson are charter airlines, so they don't have the same business model as the low-costs with their regular flights, Thomson and Thomas Cook are still there for the 7/14 nts holiday brigade, therefore they expect most passengers to have hold baggage, it was just another way for them to lower the 'headline' fare.

On the Monarch front, my flight last month to TFS had entertainment going out but nothing coming back, seems like they are slowly bringing this policy in, but it's having mixed results at the moment.

Pink shoes
23-06-2011, 09:18
Hiya, just had Monarch flights...LGW to Tenerife south. On the way out they were very fussy. Weighed hand luggage. Had to put little hand bag in my little trolly bag and wave my plastic bag around for liquids containing spare contact lens and lip savle.
The plane had seats 3 and 3 across. I took my head phones from a previous flight but there was no TV's. The stuarts had to do the safty thing manuly.
The seats were very tight. The couple infront of us kept putting there seats back.
The booked dinner was very nice.

Return from Tenerife south into LGW the Monarch plane was an air bus with seats 3-3-3 much bigger and had the TV's. Silly me thought we would have the same size plane on the way back so put the head phones in the suitcase. We did not buy more head sets but could see Top Gear on and other films.

Su1
23-06-2011, 09:31
Friends flew with Monarch ( ZB Flight ) from Luton to TFS on a Saturday and returned ten days later (Tuesday) and had 'entertainment' both ways.

Margaretta
23-06-2011, 10:00
Interested to know: what exactly does it cost to show a film on a plane? often the films are not recent and the hostess just bungs in a video/ DVD as we do at home. The airlines must get money for advertising so why is it so difficult to show a film?
Thinking perhaps it's the maintenance of the equipment i.e. the automatic lowering and raising of the screens which makes it expensive?

moonlighter
23-06-2011, 10:49
Interested to know: what exactly does it cost to show a film on a plane? often the films are not recent and the hostess just bungs in a video/ DVD as we do at home. The airlines must get money for advertising so why is it so difficult to show a film?
Thinking perhaps it's the maintenance of the equipment i.e. the automatic lowering and raising of the screens which makes it expensive?

From Post #9

It's not just the equipment costs, to have inflight entertainment airlines have to pay a licence fee and also royalty fees

Chivas Regal
23-06-2011, 14:43
We are travelling with Monarch in the summer from Bham. Our flight number is a ZB so I'm guessing we'll have no entertainment. Nowadays I take my net book with us which is loaded with films so we just watch that!
I get so bored sitting on a plane for 4 hours, I wish they'd hurry up and invent that telleporting thing they do on star trek!!! :)

duquessa
06-04-2012, 10:58
we use monarch and they dont have films or tv anymore and the arm rest dosent even cater for radio channels.

garlicbread
06-04-2012, 11:01
They certainly had entertainment on this Ryanair flight

see this thread

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?15287-Flying-with-Ryanair-is-better-than-going-to-Alton-Towers!!