PDA

View Full Version : Shops, Supermarkets, DIY.

Pembscouple
06-08-2011, 10:35
During our holidays in the Canaries I've often wondered where the residents get there shopping etc.. from. I remember to & from the airport seeing Cash & Carry's and obviously the small 'tourist' supermercado's but are there any not selling at 'tourist' prices. I remember seeing on the forum there are or is a Lidl's. How about DIY stores like B&Q, Car parts ? The amount of building in the Canaries obviously there are Builders merchants somewhere. How does the prices of goods compare ?

Also, my lovely Wife wants to know is Honey Rum still available (Ron Miel, we think) and how about Ameretto ?. We only usually drink on special occassions and holiday's but we could improve !

So many questions.................

dixie4
06-08-2011, 12:10
Although not a full time resident I do have property in the North of Tenerife. What I find is that older local retired residents will always point you in the right direction for the best supplier at the best price for any item from a pot of paint to the best bread shop and a car is a must to get away from the tourist shop prices.

Lidl launched a few shops around the island a couple of years ago and operate very similar to Lidl and Aldi in UK. They do have the non food specials every week which can be very good. We do have a B&Q type of store in Leroy Merlin both stores are up North. Both have a far bigger product range than B&Q but are not always the best priced. We have Carrefour, we have Ikea plus a few others.

Also up North we have two Al Campo stores. Both stores are inside huge shopping malls where you can buy almost anything. Al Campo is German owned and sells eveyrthing from food to tyres for your car (thoughtfully there is a fitting bay and service bay in the multistory car park). Their clothing and some of their specials are exceptional value.

Added after 7 minutes:

Although not a full time resident I do have property in the North of Tenerife. What I find is that older local retired residents will always point you in the right direction for the best supplier at the best price for any item from a pot of paint to the best bread shop and a car is a must to get away from the tourist shop prices.

Lidl launched a few shops around the island a couple of years ago and operate very similar to Lidl and Aldi in UK. They do have the non food specials every week which can be very good. We do have a B&Q type of store in Leroy Merlin both stores are up North. Both have a far bigger product range than B&Q but are not always the best priced. We have Carrefour, we have Ikea plus a few others.

Also up North we have two Al Campo stores. Both stores are inside huge shopping malls where you can buy almost anything. Al Campo is German owned and sells eveyrthing from food to tyres for your car (thoughtfully there is a fitting bay and service bay in the multistory car park). Their clothing and some of their specials are exceptional value.

Almost forgot Ron Miel widely available Always have a bottle in the cupboard.

The best cold and flu remedy in the World is Flumil, Shot of Ron Miel, topped up with Hot water. (Flumil you buy from the famacia bit like Lemsip but a fraction of the cost).

woodchip68
06-08-2011, 13:37
In the South

Super markets: Mercadona, Lidl, Hyper Treble with UK section, Hiperdino that opens on sunday, Iceland and Macro.

DIY: Afortunadas (B&Q type) Las Chafiras - Chafiras (B&Q type) Las Chafiras & Adeje - Goyo Ferretaria (builders merchants) San Juan - Sucan (plumber merchant) Las Chafiras - Bano Barrato (bathrooms and tiles) Las Chafiras & Adeje

Electrical goods: Martinez Adeje - Media Mart next to Carrefour in the north is excellent - just bought a 63" Samsung 3D TV for only 1600 euros and thay delivered the next day