PDA

View Full Version : New laptop needed: Advice Please

Cairo
06-08-2011, 17:55
My laptop has been on it's last legs for a while and last night I decided to share a glass of wine with it, today it looks like it is suffering from a permenant hangover and a replacement is needed :(

I'm most likely going to buy one from Amazon and get it delivered to Tenerife. I hate doing things like this as I am no good with all the technical mumbo jumbo and I want to spend as little money as possible.

I'd really appreciate if you could give me some advice, hints and tips as to what sort of minimum requirements I should be looking for and any other suggestions.

Off the top of my head I think I want/need a large screen and a DVD drive.

woodchip68
06-08-2011, 18:02
Theres a computer shop that quite reasonable in Las Chafiras next to Afortunadas, but get a written warrantee. Been buying comps from there for years. Ive had a few probs as you do and they have sorted it quite quickly. I think its called Krypton. I never look at name as the front of the shop is abit techno busy.

Also in the north there is Media Mart next to Carrefour

ruffus
06-08-2011, 18:05
The shop is called Kriplus Hypermedia. We have bought a few things from this shop and we are very happy with the service and price. We would certainly recommend it. :D

Cairo
06-08-2011, 18:11
Just to clarify, I have decided I will be buying via the UK, it is technical specificiations and advice that I am hoping for :)

markcuk
06-08-2011, 18:24
could just need a ram upgrade and fresh install of windows or is there hardware issues?

Anyway how much you willing to spend?

what about these

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/3226/2493/-/21427678/Acer-Aspire-5750G-Core-i5-2410M-4GB-500GB-15-6-inch-Windows-7-Home-Premium-64-bit-Laptop-Notebook-Black/Product.html?searchtype=genre

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/3227/2494/-/19397848/Acer-Aspire-5742-Core-i3-380M-2-53GHz-4GB-750GB-DVD-SM-15-6-inch-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Laptop-Notebook-Black/Product.html

people will have there say about brands and Acer but its down to personaly choice and I find them ok and good value

woodchip68
06-08-2011, 18:30
I replace my laptops every year. Ive bought them from Spain and the UK. The only difference is sometimes price (swings and roundabouts), keyboard layout, enyeh (the n with a squiggle on the top) and the @ key (ctrl+alt+2). Oh and the operating system is in Spanish, but Kriplus Hypermedia can install english on it you you

timmylish
07-08-2011, 00:27
Cairo. We bought this second laptop from Amazon a couple of months ago for just under 300 pounds stg (when taking the Vat element not included as usual). Its absolutely first class, so much so, that we sent the first one to Mrs. T,s Mum in Moldova to use for general purpose and Skype. Now I see that it is presently out of stock (not surprising really) but get something like this one. We have the address and tel. no. of the Acer replacement division here on Tenerife should you need it. Its not the Acer shop in town (Santa Cruz).

WeeJake
07-08-2011, 01:50
Go to http://pickalaptop.com/ you chose what you want/need and it will give you a few choices. Itīs down to the individual user really

junglejim
07-08-2011, 07:06
I think you want at least 4gb RAM and 500GB HD , HDMI socket for playing onto TV , 3 USB ports , you might want bluetooth for transferring files from devices .Most come with webcam as standard. Additional software may cost you .17" seems to be biggest screen but you can buy an external monitor of whatever size for home use .
Depending what you use it for ( games ?) you might want a better graphics card but most laptops are standard - extra spec costs !
PC World in UK are doing some good deals so compare with Amazon .
See if you can source a plastic layover for your keyboard or lay off the Red Wine ! I killed mine with Diet Irn Bru !!

princessmonika
07-08-2011, 07:10
get a mac from apple they are the best --i would never buy a PC or any other laptop--

markcuk
07-08-2011, 10:26
you would never buy a personal computer (PC) (whats a mac then:spin:)

you have been mislead by rubbish advertising by apple and microsoft the war is windows vs Mac os and not PC VS MAC

princessmonika
07-08-2011, 11:21
well if you want to nitpick yes i know it is microsoft verses apple pc or laptop i have both, but like apple better--

delderek
07-08-2011, 11:33
well if you want to nitpick yes i know it is microsoft verses apple pc or laptop i have both, but like apple better--

But just compare how much free or cheap software is available for mac, compared to pc 5% perhaps, which reflects the world usage of mac's 5%.

markcuk
07-08-2011, 11:33

:) Yeah I have both as well but starting to prefere windows again have you tried Lion yet?

But just compare how much free or cheap software is available for mac, compared to pc 5% perhaps, which reflects the world usage of mac's 5%.

But you can install windows on a mac now.

princessmonika
07-08-2011, 11:38
yes you are right, but i like my mac better--- like i said i have both - i use both --

delderek
07-08-2011, 12:28
:) Yeah I have both as well but starting to prefere windows again have you tried Lion yet?

But you can install windows on a mac now.

So i am told,,,begs the question as to why pay 3 times as much for a mac. OK admit they are very nice looking.

markcuk
07-08-2011, 12:58
one thing going for a mac is they keep there resale value very well and they dont update there range as fast as other makers like hp,acer etc

Greg
07-08-2011, 17:08
So i am told,,,begs the question as to why pay 3 times as much for a mac. OK admit they are very nice looking.

Delderek, I think you should listen to people like Princessmonika (and me) who have both but prefer Apple. We have debated this before, if your only concern is price the go ahead and buy a pc. If you prefer great quality, reliability and a generally better product and you can afford it then Apple is for you. I really think it's hard to give an opinion about a product you don't own yourself. Also you will find that you can get a free programme for just about anything you want to do on your Mac. I have both but I hate using Windoze, it is so slow and less user friendly than a Mac. Cairo, you are very welcome to pop round my house and have a look at my Macs and compare them for yourself. I don't know of anyone who isn't happy with Apple products. Good luck with whatever you choose to buy.

timmylish
07-08-2011, 22:53
Acer Aspire 5742 15.6 inch Notebook (Intel Core i3-380M Processor, 4 GB RAM , 320 GB HDD, DVD-Super Multi DL drive, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) - B

Less than 300 stg.? Cannot beat that really!

WeeJake
08-08-2011, 02:19
My Final Word on the subject via internet advice.

Choosing the Best Laptop Computer

With the best laptop computer and a wireless Internet card, you're ready to take on the world. You'll enjoy gaming, music and movies on the go. You can study anywhere. You'll love being able to work on the beach. Your boss will love sending work home with you.
Laptop computers are no longer the poor cousins of desktop tower PCs. The best laptops can compete with desktops in processing power and storage, making them robust enough to replace desktops in most homes.
Laptop Computer Requirements
For a laptop to last, you need to shop for tomorrow, not today. Software and multimedia place ever-escalating demands on processors and storage space, so it's best to avoid thinking about the minimum you can live with.
A new laptop should have either a dual-processor AMD chip or a dual-core Intel chip. This new technology splits processor functions between two integrated chips, providing a more speed and processing power. Processor speeds are measured in gigahertz (GHz). Bigger numbers mean faster speeds. Look for laptops with processors that run at 2GHz or higher.
A new laptop should have 1GB of RAM and a 100GB hard drive at a minimum, and it's worth paying extra for more memory. The newest Mac and Windows operating systems consume large amounts of RAM, so an underpowered laptop will struggle to run software. Larger laptop hard drives are needed if you're carrying a lot of music or multimedia files with you, or if you download files from the Internet.
Mac laptops are very popular at the moment, particularly the MacBook Air, which is the lightest and thinnest laptop available. If you're considering an Air Mac, you should know that it doesn't have a built-in optical drive, so you'll need a wireless network connection to another computer to install software from CDs. If you're budget-minded, you'll usually get more memory and features from a Windows laptop.
Screen Considerations
You'll come to rely on your laptop computer's screen, even if you have a monitor at home. Screens contribute to the overall cost of a laptop, with larger screens costing more. Screen size also determines the overall size of the computer, which affects the weight, keyboard size and battery life.
Laptop screens range in size from 13 to 19 inches. You'll be very close to the screen while you use your laptop, so a smaller screen is fine unless you have poor vision or need a larger keyboard.
One thing to watch out for in cheap laptops is a poor LCD screen. You won't notice an underperforming screen while you read e-mail or create documents, but you will see the problems if you watch movies or play games. Multimedia users and gamers should check the screen resolution. The 1200 x 800 WXGA resolution is a minimum for widescreen viewing, but higher horizontal resolution (the number after the x) will give you better-looking games and movies. Alienware notebook computers are renowned for their superior resolution, and checking the specs on their models will give you a good idea of what's out there.
Laptop Batteries
Laptop computers are sometimes rated for battery life, which is the amount of time you can run it before the battery needs to be recharged. While these ratings can help you choose between laptop models, they are general guides and shouldn't be taken literally. Playing games and watching movies will empty the battery much faster than sending e-mails or building a spreadsheet.
Don't charge laptop batteries too often. This can cause parts of the battery to become inactive, sometimes known as a "memory," and reduces the usable space in the battery. It's best to run a laptop until the battery is almost used up before recharging.
Additional Features
Look for a laptop with a combination optical drive that can, at a minimum, read DVDs and write CDs. Laptops with DVD burners are increasingly common at lower price points, and these drives can write CDs as well as DVDs.
A laptop should have a built-in wireless modem for accessing the Internet, along with an expansion slot that allows you to add your own modem for faster broadband wireless. Look for laptops with multiple connectivity options. Two USB ports are a minimum requirement so you can connect the laptop to printers and external drives. An Ethernet port is essential for connecting to wired broadband Internet service.
Almost every laptop has a VGA port to connect to a standalone monitor. Newer models include DVI and HDMI ports that let you use the laptop as part of your home entertainment system. This is useful if you download movies or other content that you want to send to your TV, and it should be considered an essential if you're replacing a desktop system with a laptop.
If you don't like touchpads, look for a laptop with an alternate control system, such as a touchscreen or small joystick. You can also purchase a separate USB mouse to use with the laptop.
Finding Cheap Laptops
Because of all the things a laptop computer does, as well as the need to miniaturize circuits and chipsets, laptops tend to cost more than an equivalent desktop computer. You also get more, since a laptop includes a monitor, a battery and a recharger.
If budget is a concern, there are some ways to find laptop bargains.
1. Reduce your requirements. If you're not into gaming or multimedia, you'll be happy with a single-core processor and less RAM. These laptops can still handle music.
2. Look for refurbished laptops. You'll find these at smaller computer dealers. The computer will be a couple of years old, so you'll want to talk to the dealer about what it can and cannot do.
3. Buy used. You'll find tons of laptops for sale in online classifieds and auctions, particularly around the end of the school year. It's a good idea to get a new battery for a used laptop and to thoroughly scan it for viruses before you start using it.
4. Buy it without the box. The major electronics retailers sell their floor models when new merchandise arrives. You'll sometimes find significant savings on these, but your choices will be limited and you may need to haunt the stores for a while, waiting for a model that you want.

Vortex Wake
08-08-2011, 12:58
Delderek, I think you should listen to people like Princessmonika (and me) who have both but prefer Apple. We have debated this before, if your only concern is price the go ahead and buy a pc. If you prefer great quality, reliability and a generally better product and you can afford it then Apple is for you. I really think it's hard to give an opinion about a product you don't own yourself. Also you will find that you can get a free programme for just about anything you want to do on your Mac. I have both but I hate using Windoze, it is so slow and less user friendly than a Mac. Cairo, you are very welcome to pop round my house and have a look at my Macs and compare them for yourself. I don't know of anyone who isn't happy with Apple products. Good luck with whatever you choose to buy.

A point that can be levelled at most iPhone users who blindly recommend their iPhone as being the 'best' ;)

Cairo
09-08-2011, 09:16
Apologies for the delay in coming back to this thread...I am struggling to 'borrow' a computer to use.... and many thanks to those that didnt take this thread to the realms of Off Topic (ie mac vs the world, or comments about iphones) and who gave me useful information regarding specs and many various suggestions.

Re Macs (oh and by the way I have an iphone so I am not anti-mac), price completely knocks this out of the equation as my budget is between Ģ300-Ģ400. I'm not prepared to pay more than that for an adequate laptop as, in my opinion, they only have a life of about 3 years - 4.5 in the case of my last one before I shared my wine with it (white Cava Junglejim :) ), it was an Acer Aspire (1.66 processer speed, 1GB and 120GB hard drive...see what I've learned in the last few days :) ) and I can't fault it.

I think I have decided to go for one of the largest screen sizes available, WIndows 7, 4GB, 500 GB and processer speed of, I think, 2.3 thingies, 3 USB holes, HDMI hole and the techie reviews on it look reasonable. The great thing is that the price is reduced because I live in and am getting it delivered to Tenerife - Ģ399, down to Ģ339 minus VAT and inc P&P...and I even get Nectar points on it!!

There are only a couple left so I am scared to post a link until I have actually decided to purchase it :D

Many thanks again to all that contributed help and advice.

delderek
09-08-2011, 09:43
Sounds like a nice piece of kit. One thing that I would say, if it's a very large screen, dont open and close it to often. I have friends that have trouble with the hinges on large screen models.

junglejim
09-08-2011, 10:55
Good luck with it , my only comment is 120Gb seems a bit small for contemporary machine , but you can get an external Western Digital Passport 500GB HD for about 50 quid from Amazon- good for back up of important files .

Cairo
09-08-2011, 12:08
Sounds like a nice piece of kit. One thing that I would say, if it's a very large screen, dont open and close it to often. I have friends that have trouble with the hinges on large screen models.

Good point, and yes it is, 17.3 inches :) One of the hinges on my old laptop was causing problems, when you open/closed it it was 'popping' the keyboard surround, my solution was to clamp the surround with a bulldog clip and to try not to open/close it.

Good luck with it , my only comment is 120Gb seems a bit small for contemporary machine , but you can get an external Western Digital Passport 500GB HD for about 50 quid from Amazon- good for back up of important files .

Sorry, my mistake, I was still a bit bleary eyed from some whisky (I gave up with wine as it caused too much damage to my laptop :D) from the night before, the hard drive is 500MB.

good for back up of important files .

Another good point, would you believe that I always had a back up of my important stuff files on a memory stick which never left the house, the one day it did leave the house I lost it...this was very recently and I had never got around to doing another one. Luckily, I have a prehistoric external HD and a couple of smallish memory sticks and when my laptop was swimming in wine I was frantically trying to save stuff to sticks and drives :(

cainaries
09-08-2011, 15:02
White cava, Cairo? At least it went down in style!

markcuk
09-08-2011, 18:55
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Notebook-Pentium-Processor-DVD-Super/dp/B004VE71AS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1312912061&sr=1-1

lots of ram and good sized hd which is important. I am running windows 7 ultimate on a 5 year old HP laptop with a core 2 duo with only 2gb (remember windows 7 is much improved over vista)

do you really need the i3

a compare between the 2 http://www.gadgets-freak.biz/intel-pentium-p6200-vs-intel-core-i3-380/

timmylish
09-08-2011, 23:24
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Notebook-Pentium-Processor-DVD-Super/dp/B004VE71AS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1312912061&sr=1-1

lots of ram and good sized hd which is important. I am running windows 7 ultimate on a 5 year old HP laptop with a core 2 duo with only 2gb (remember windows 7 is much improved over vista)

do you really need the i3

a compare between the 2 http://www.gadgets-freak.biz/intel-pentium-p6200-vs-intel-core-i3-380/

tbh. The quoted article gives the i3 the heads up so Cairo has purchased the latest and best processor.

slodgedad
09-08-2011, 23:31
I'm still using a 5 year old laptop using Vista and am as happy as Larry.

Still modding on average of 8 hours a day and never had a problem.

My daughter, however, has the latest bit of kit and I'm forever sorting it for her.

Whatever you have, take care of it (Anti Spam, Virus, Malware)etc. and there is no need to continually upgrade (Notwithstanding Cava)..:laugh:

timmylish
09-08-2011, 23:42
Certainly with laptops, if they are working don,t do anything to try to change them. They don,t up-grade well. Totally different with full sized pc cased up properly, leaving room to access the works.

TIS
09-08-2011, 23:49
Our 2 laptops wit 17" screens work perfectly and have done for years, so must depend on make and machine,as always.

Try Media Mart by Carrefour. Just had their latest broadsheet with prices and specs and for less than 400€ can get 4GB memory, 2.6Mhz processor, 640GB hard disk, etc etc - acer machine. Well worth it.

Cairo
10-08-2011, 17:27
As promised, here is the link, and remember that living here Amazon deduct the VAT off automatically so the cost delivered is/was only 333 Sterling:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004M2J9BS/ref=oss_product

Timmyish and Junglejim, you are confusing me with 3i - if you are talking about my iphone it is an iphone4, or processer thingies, if it is processer stuff it is a dual do-dah so I dont think I have the all-singing-all-dancing version :)

markcuk
10-08-2011, 17:47
Good spec samsung are a very good brand (I was once told by a reseller they are made by Sony) not a known fact and not sure if they still are

junglejim
10-08-2011, 22:23
As promised, here is the link, and remember that living here Amazon deduct the VAT off automatically so the cost delivered is/was only 333 Sterling:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004M2J9BS/ref=oss_product

Timmyish and Junglejim, you are confusing me with 3i - if you are talking about my iphone it is an iphone4, or processer thingies, if it is processer stuff it is a dual do-dah so I dont think I have the all-singing-all-dancing version :)

I didnīt mention 3i ?? I know nothing about mobile phones and I donīt have one through choice !

PC looks good buy for money - enjoy and stay away from Cava!!

MaxineC
11-08-2011, 00:48
you would never buy a personal computer (PC) (whats a mac then:spin:)

you have been mislead by rubbish advertising by apple and microsoft the war is windows vs Mac os and not PC VS MAC

Having used both a pc & a Mac, both for pleasure & internet based business, a Mac knocks the socks off any pc on the market. Yes they cost more, but what you get for your money, regarding software, aftercare and value for money, a pc doesn't come close... and I'm talking from experience, not marketing 'rubbish', as the none users say...

I wouldn't go back to a pc, even if Bill Gates personally delivered me a gold plated top of the range one... and we don't have to worry about all the virus crap that pc users do (yet!). No brainer...

timmylish
11-08-2011, 12:31
Cairo. You originally showed a machine with an i3 Intel processor and in my opinion that was the best available. You have purchased the slightly older, but nevertheless, satisfactory processor