PDA

View Full Version : Who really cares about Celebrities?

rosemary
06-08-2011, 20:09
What is it with this "Celebrity" crazed culture we live in? I noticed some time back a thread wich asked if you had "seen a Celebrity" on the island.

IMO this kind of empty cult worship of people who are famous for being famous, is a sign of a bankrupt society - and I donīt mean the financial kind. Celebrities are people who are ....what exactly? Are they people who have made this world a better place to live in? Are they people who have enriched our lives, enlightened our existence, inspired us to follow our dreams, helped us to solve a few problems of this strife torn world? i donīt think so.

I loathe the very idea of a "celebrity".

Ecky Thump
06-08-2011, 20:32
Celebrities are people who are ....what exactly? Are they people who have made this world a better place to live in? Are they people who have enriched our lives, enlightened our existence, inspired us to follow our dreams, helped us to solve a few problems of this strife torn world? i donīt think so.

There have been many "celebrities" in history that have made a colossal difference to our lives, many of them have pioneered medical breakthroughs, some great peacemakers, others who have been courageous in risking or giving their lives to help others, great statesmen, pioneers, sportsmen, also others that have in the past and in present times entertained us with their humour and musical talent etc., the list could go on...so I could not say that I have any problem with people who have reached the status of being a celebrity, as long as it is not for some wrong doing on their part.:)

warbey
06-08-2011, 20:35
Celebrity.. another much misused word. Notorious would best describe some of "Them"

Harmonicaman
06-08-2011, 20:38
I prefer Quality Street to Celebrities...

howard thornton
06-08-2011, 20:41
I prefer Quality Street to Celebrities... i thought you might do, lol

Medman
06-08-2011, 20:47
Me thinks Rosemary will really hate tattooed celebrities :tongue:

dokgolf
06-08-2011, 20:47
Celebrities who are famous for being famous are pointless. Celebrities who are famous for their actions that benefit mankind are priceless. I would like to know more about the latter and nothing about the former

Me thinks Rosemary will really hate tattooed celebrities :tongue:
:D That's naughty, funny but naughty:D

Sal
06-08-2011, 20:51
The only time I buy a magazine is when we are flying somewhere on holiday, so I have something to occupy me during the flight. The trouble is most of them are packed with articles about "celebrities" I have never heard of!

Celebrities? As far as I'm concerned you can shove 'em!

Suej
06-08-2011, 20:53
I buy those mags too Sal, they are quite handy for holding over your face so no one recognises you though!;)

El Viento
06-08-2011, 20:54
The only time I buy a magazine is when we are flying somewhere on holiday, so I have something to occupy me during the flight. The trouble is most of them are packed with articles about "celebrities" I have never heard of!

Celebrities? As far as I'm concerned you can shove 'em!

You could always buy a good book ;)

Sal
06-08-2011, 20:57
You could always buy a good book ;)

Yes, I read a lot of books on holiday too - it's just light entertainment for the flight.

Jimandsi
06-08-2011, 21:01
It's all part of the current fake and fantasy lifestyle that people are trying to lead.

Fake tans, tattoos, teeth, watches, clothes etc. etc.

They're trying to emulate some mindless muppet who is famous for being famous.

I think a certain Mr Cowell might have something to do with it. :crylaughing:

marbro8
06-08-2011, 21:09
i think that most celebrities are quite down to earth, take william tarmy(jack out of corrie) he is a realy nice bloke, i have met john bishop in house of Fraser in Plymouth and he was only to pleased to have his photo took with me, ricky tomlinson is also a realy down to earth bloke and i would love to meet him, there are also stars that do a lot for charity like bob geldof and lenny henry, they are true celebs, the one's i do dislike are the pretentious ones that think the world revolves around them

Added after 7 minutes:

Yes, I read a lot of books on holiday too - it's just light entertainment for the flight.i take my own dvd player now sal because monarch stopped showing entertainment on short haul flights(4 hours short?) and i watch a couple of movies or a couple of 24 with the brill kiefer sutherland:)

Jimandsi
06-08-2011, 21:24
i think that most celebrities are quite down to earth, take william tarmy(jack out of corrie) he is a realy nice bloke, i have met john bishop in house of Fraser in Plymouth and he was only to pleased to have his photo took with me, ricky tomlinson is also a realy down to earth bloke and i would love to meet him, there are also stars that do a lot for charity like bob geldof and lenny henry, they are true celebs, the one's i do dislike are the pretentious ones that think the world revolves around them

Blimey marbro8 - have you been drinking ?

Geldof - a true celebrity ? ? ?

A scuffy, foul mouthed singer who managed upset a lot of people, more like.

And there are still people starving in Africa, despite all his bigheaded claims that he would sort it.

marbro8
06-08-2011, 21:28
unfortunately jimbo those people are their own worst enemies, you could throw the amount of money that america owes at them and they would still be back for more next year with even more kids:(

rosemary
06-08-2011, 21:31
There have been many "celebrities" in history that have made a colossal difference to our lives, many of them have pioneered medical breakthroughs, some great peacemakers, others who have been courageous in risking or giving their lives to help others, great statesmen, pioneers, sportsmen, also others that have in the past and in present times entertained us with their humour and musical talent etc., the list could go on...so I could not say that I have any problem with people who have reached the status of being a celebrity, as long as it is not for some wrong doing on their part.:)

I think we need to define present day "celebrities". The people you have mentioned are famous for noble achievements that benefited mankind. Not for being an actor in a minor part on a TV soap opera for example. Or worse, a model with large assets and not much else.

Suej
06-08-2011, 21:35
I think we need to define present day "celebrities". The people you have mentioned are famous for noble achievements that benefited mankind. Not for being an actor in a minor part on a TV soap opera for example. Or worse, a model with large assets and not much else.

Even the unknown numpties on Big Brother get celebrity status...now that really is a joke!:sleeping:

Goforgold
06-08-2011, 21:36
Even the unknown numpties on Big Brother get celebrity status...now that really is a joke!:sleeping:

Big Brother - never heard of it!!! ;)

Jimandsi
06-08-2011, 21:38
unfortunately jimbo those people are their own worst enemies, you could throw the amount of money that america owes at them and they would still be back for more next year with even more kids:(

But Geldof told the WORLD in 1985 that HE would effing sort it. :(

howard thornton
06-08-2011, 21:38
Blimey marbro8 - have you been drinking ?

Geldof - a true celebrity ? ? ?

A scuffy, foul mouthed singer who managed upset a lot of people, more like.

And there are still people starving in Africa, despite all his bigheaded claims that he would sort it. you are a true celebrity on here jimbo, get the fxxk out of here, only joking jim.

Ecky Thump
06-08-2011, 21:39

The problem is that its us who watch, listen or read about them that make them celebrities, not the people who promote them.

Goforgold
06-08-2011, 21:41
you are a true celebrity on here jimbo, get the fxxk of of here,only joking jim.

Leave him alone HT - he's doing alright!! :)

marbro8
06-08-2011, 21:42
But Geldof told the WORLD in 1985 that HE would effing sort it. :(well he gave them food and water but forgot the condoms:wink2:

Jimandsi
06-08-2011, 21:43

I've been good for a couple of weeks now :whistle:

Goforgold
06-08-2011, 21:43
The problem is that its us who watch, listen or read about them that make them celebrities, not the people who promote them.

I make a point of never watching or reading anything that involves these so called celebrities - it leave me cold.

'Celebrities' were ok when I was a teenager, but not when you're all growed up like what I am!! :)

howard thornton
06-08-2011, 21:44

he is, gfg, i did say only joking.:bootyshake:

Goforgold
06-08-2011, 21:46

You have been a good boy, and when you've been good for another couple of weeks, I'll take you to the zoo as promised!! :)

and leave you there............... ;)

howard thornton
06-08-2011, 21:46

and they said it wouldn't last.:wow:

Goforgold
06-08-2011, 21:49
he is, gfg, i did say only joking.:bootyshake:

Now, now HT, no need for bottoms!! This is a family forum!! ;)

howard thornton
06-08-2011, 22:10
Now, now HT, no need for bottoms!! This is a family forum!! ;)

sorry folks, someone has taken away my thank you bottom, er sorry i meant button

Sundowner
06-08-2011, 22:11
But Geldof told the WORLD in 1985 that HE would effing sort it. :(

But Jim he did sort it! For himself!!!

cainaries
06-08-2011, 22:13
Certainly of no interest in this house. Trouble is, though, people seem to look down on those of us who don't follow this celebrity culture. A friend of ours recently asked 'Who is Cheryl Cole?' and got shouted down, screamed at almost, mocked by the other people we were with .. 'don't you keep up?' etc. He keeps up with the important stuff like the economy but not with Cheryl Cole.

dokgolf
06-08-2011, 22:20
Some unfair criticism on here re: Geldof

howard thornton
06-08-2011, 22:22
Certainly of no interest in this house. Trouble is, though, people seem to look down on those of us who don't follow this celebrity culture. A friend of ours recently asked 'Who is Cheryl Cole?' and got shouted down, screamed at almost, mocked by the other people we were with .. 'don't you keep up?' etc. He keeps up with the important stuff like the economy but not with Cheryl Cole. sounds like a bright lad to me.cheryl who?

lozzie1821
06-08-2011, 22:26
I love all that sort of lifestyle.. I love meeting "celebrities" i even wanted to be a page 3 girl when i was in my teens but other things come up and i never got into it..
My idol is jordan! i have all her books, i buy every magazine she is in and keep them. i know everything there is too know about her and even when 2 marbella when i knew she was gonna be there just to meet her!! never got the chance too but i tried. x

Cat Woman
06-08-2011, 22:37
well he gave them food and water but forgot the condoms:wink2:
They should have neutered them! :whistle:

Added after 3 minutes:

I love all that sort of lifestyle.. I love meeting "celebrities" i even wanted to be a page 3 girl when i was in my teens but other things come up and i never got into it..
My idol is jordan! i have all her books, i buy every magazine she is in and keep them. i know everything there is too know about her and even when 2 marbella when i knew she was gonna be there just to meet her!! never got the chance too but i tried. x
Is this a wind up!:neener::laugh:

rosemary
06-08-2011, 22:46
Added after 3 minutes:

Is this a wind up!:neener::laugh:[/QUOTE]

Oh I do hope so.rolleyes2:

dokgolf
06-08-2011, 22:46
sounds like a bright lad to me.cheryl who?

Cheryl Cole....she's a sister of Nat King;)

caroletenerife
06-08-2011, 23:00

Added after 3 minutes:

It wont be, I used to work with young folk (teens), they live and breathe celebrity, as is their right. You cant put an old head on young shoulders and neither should you, I'm sure when the young of today are thirty somethings their interests will have changed. Personally i idolised The Bay City Rollers (oh the shame)....not exactly, world changing people where they,

Sundowner
06-08-2011, 23:48
Some unfair criticism on here re: Geldof

I don't think so...........before live aid Geldof was a mediocre singer with a band that had passed it's sell by, after he made millions..............his efforts to help Ethiopia are to be applauded, but did little to change the situation and some would argue made it worse as money was syphoned off to pay for weapons.

doreen
07-08-2011, 00:24
I don't think so...........before live aid Geldof was a mediocre singer with a band that had passed it's sell by, after he made millions..............his efforts to help Ethiopia are to be applauded, but did little to change the situation and some would argue made it worse as money was syphoned off to pay for weapons.

Have to disagree ... the BBC issued an apology last November for their allegations of money being diverted to buy weapons. I met Geldof in 1985 and chatted with him for over an hour - he was passionate about trying to make a difference ... we need more people like him in the world :)

dokgolf
07-08-2011, 09:53

Think you're overrating him as a singer. So what if he made millions, he did this through TV production companies NOT taking a share of the monies raised ( I'm not saying his profile wasn't raised by Live Aid but this "fame" also got him into government buildings worldwide where he further pressed the case for debt relief). Regards syphoning off money, Doreen has already covered that.

caroletenerife
07-08-2011, 10:14
Have to disagree ... the BBC issued an apology last November for their allegations of money being diverted to buy weapons. I met Geldof in 1985 and chatted with him for over an hour - he was passionate about trying to make a difference ... we need more people like him in the world :)

Geldof is a celebrity to be looked up to, he rattled peoples consciences and did make a difference. His and others efforts made a difference to millions of lives. Ive heard people talking about the current famine in Somalia and saying i gave to Live Aid (probably a couple of pounds)and the people of Africa are still dying. That was 25 years ago and its AFRICA, they are always going to need help.
I was watching Obama in congress begging for TRILLIONS, as if it was small change. If the UK, Italy, Spain, USA etc didnt have the economical and political clout to borrow all this money to keep us afloat....where would we be. Greed and Consumerism has been our downfall not the lack of rainfall

TOTO 99
07-08-2011, 10:17
Doesn't this just boil down to who you like and who you don't like? Is the OP suggesting that Lennon & Mcartney made no contribution to the world? Have you never bought a record, gone to a gig, watched a film etc? All of which go towards making the artist a celebrity. Why condemn anyone for being famous and better still, making a few quid. The majority of them are good at their job even if it might not be our cup of tea. Let's face it, who hasn't at some point sung into a hairbrush in the mirror..lol..

rosemary
07-08-2011, 10:28
Celebrity watchers, maybe thatīs what I dislike more than the object of their worship. Bit like train spotters only more hysterical.

lozzie1821
07-08-2011, 11:32

Added after 3 minutes:

Unfortunatly Not...
I was 19 and had the chance to meet her so a friend and I booked our flights for a week in marbella and we went to all the places that were common for "celebs" to go... I was rather disapointed like.

Now i have kids of my own my obsession with her has definetly calmed down alot but if i was ever given the chance to appear on page 3 i would go for it..
Obvs after i loose the baby weight and am happy with myself i would do it.

caroletenerife
07-08-2011, 11:38
Unfortunatly Not...
I was 19 and had the chance to meet her so a friend and I booked our flights for a week in marbella and we went to all the places that were common for "celebs" to go... I was rather disapointed like.

Now i have kids of my own my obsession with her has definetly calmed down alot but if i was ever given the chance to appear on page 3 i would go for it..

Good for you!!!! Got to admit Jordan is not my cup of tea, but she has made her own money, she is very astute, she knows what she wants and goes for it. What is more morally corrupt, a girl getting her boobs out for money or a so called respectable company making money manufacturing land mines that mame and kill thousands of children?????

doreen
07-08-2011, 11:39
Celebrity watchers, maybe thatīs what I dislike more than the object of their worship. Bit like train spotters only more hysterical.

We have always had "celebrities" but I think Reality TV and the likes of Max Clifford have changed the landscape dramatically - the thought that anyone has a shot at fame.

Jordan wouldn't exactly be a role model in my mind, but she sure is good at PR :)

TOTO 99
07-08-2011, 11:47
Unfortunatly Not...

Fantastic...just make sure you let us know when you're doing it. I guarantee you'll get more hits than the cats, dogs, and illegal lettings put together...:D

rosemary
07-08-2011, 11:52
Good for you!!!! Got to admit Jordan is not my cup of tea, but she has made her own money, she is very astute, she knows what she wants and goes for it. What is more morally corrupt, a girl getting her boobs out for money or a so called respectable company making money manufacturing land mines that mame and kill thousands of children?????

I donīt think there is any contest. They are both morally corrupt.

Margaretta
07-08-2011, 12:12
I've always rather fancied Max Clifford, Stephen Fry, Tim Wonacott, Mark Austin, Dan Cruikshank, Rolf Harris and my all-time love: Patrick Moore. All these men are intelligent and attractive and would make great dinner party guests. They all have something to say and I'm so glad their celebrity status brought them to my attention.

Women....let's think:

TOTO 99
07-08-2011, 12:15
I've always rather fancied Max Clifford, Stephen Fry, Tim Wonacott, Mark Austin, Dan Cruikshank, Rolf Harris and my all-time love: Patrick Moore. All these men are intelligent and attractive and would make great dinner party guests. They all have something to say and I'm so glad their celebrity status brought them to my attention.

Women....let's think:

Trip to Specsavers long overdue Margaretta..:laugh:

Harmonicaman
07-08-2011, 12:17
Patrick Moore? Attractive?
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/patrickmoore.jpg

even when he was younger, he wasn't Errol Flynn

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/patrickmoore_bw.jpg

should have went to specsavers Margaretta!:)

Edit! Ooops! Sorry Toto, cross posting.

caroletenerife
07-08-2011, 12:21
I donīt think there is any contest. They are both morally corrupt.
really, i dont understand your thinking there. In my mind killing children would be slightly worse than getting your baps out

Added after 6 minutes:

Women....let's think:

Sorry Margaretta, havent heard of half of them...Stephen Fry would make a great dinner guest, in fact if i had to ivite 5 people he would be one. Let me think about others, suppose i would need two women...Dawn French and Oprah Winfrey. other men, Billy Connolly, Nelson Mandella, Ghandi and of course George Clooney for a bit of eye candy

rosemary
07-08-2011, 12:28
really, i dont understand your thinking there. In my mind killing children would be slightly worse than getting your baps out

I donīt indulge in contests with corruption and the various grades of it. Seems a bit pointless? Or can you convince me of the merit in doing so? If one was devising a sort of criminal scale of some kind i guess it might be useful, but to whom?

caroletenerife
07-08-2011, 13:06
I donīt indulge in contests with corruption and the various grades of it. Seems a bit pointless? Or can you convince me of the merit in doing so? If one was devising a sort of criminal scale of some kind i guess it might be useful, but to whom?

I dont see page 3 girls as corrupt, its their body to do with what they please. Its not my business what they choose to do with their lives, its not hurting anyone and if people dont like it, dont look at it.. As for a criminal scale, i think the UK is in dire need of a sensible one....case in point Baby P's murderer being released after 4YEARS

rosemary
07-08-2011, 13:19
I dont see page 3 girls as corrupt, its their body to do with what they please. Its not my business what they choose to do with their lives, its not hurting anyone and if people dont like it, dont look at it.. As for a criminal scale, i think the UK is in dire need of a sensible one....case in point Baby P's murderer being released after 4YEARS

The UK is suffering from a surfeit of moral corruption, of that there is no doubt. Much like the rest of this war torn planet. My point would be that if my daughter wished to become a page 3 model I would regard myself as having been a lousy mother. Page 3 girls do corrupt, they corrupt young minds, end of story. And I would never buy the defense that they are "in control of their own bodies" and all that c--p and therefore are to be admired. That kind of sleazy argument is also corrupt. IMO Jackie.

caroletenerife
07-08-2011, 14:31
The UK is suffering from a surfeit of moral corruption, of that there is no doubt. Much like the rest of this war torn planet. My point would be that if my daughter wished to become a page 3 model I would regard myself as having been a lousy mother. Page 3 girls do corrupt, they corrupt young minds, end of story. And I would never buy the defense that they are "in control of their own bodies" and all that c--p and therefore are to be admired. That kind of sleazy argument is also corrupt. IMO Jackie.
Im not that judgemental of others, i dont admire them or critise them..its none of my business. Off to the beach, i will no doubt see many topless ladies over a certain age corrupting everyone in site x

Margaretta
07-08-2011, 14:43
Fantastic Patrick. he could take me to the stars and Brian May could come too....
Quite right Harmonicaman and Toto...that's what all my friends say.Yes Caroletenerife, I would include George Clooney and Nelson Mandela, possibly Obama too. Sarkozy and Berlusconi sound fun in a ....continental sort of .....

No, I wouldn't be thrilled if my daughter were a page three girl but I would still love her to bits and try to make sure she wasn't being abused and exploited. In fact I too could have been a Page three girl...and possibly pages four and five....but they they didn't want the rest of me....;)

TOTO 99
07-08-2011, 14:59
Fantastic Patrick. he could take me to the starts and Brian May could come too....
Quite right Harmonicaman and Toto...that's what all my friends say.Yes Caroletenerife, I would include George Clooney and Nelson Mandela, possibly Obama too. Sarkozy and Berlusconi sound fun in a ....continental sort of .....

No, I wouldn't be thrilled if my daughter were a page three girl but I would still love her to bits and try to make sure she wasn't being abused and exploited. In fact I too could have been a Page three girl...and possibly pages four and five....but they they didn't want the rest of me....;)

I think you've got it just right with "wouldn't be thrilled" Margaretta. It shouldn't make anyone feel like a bad parent as Rosemary suggested. Harmless fun. It's been around a long time. I have a good friend in the sex industry. She's not a prostitute or anything like that. She's a hard working business woman who owns a chain of sex shops. There's certainly plenty of money in it so there must be a demand. My firm puts the carpets into these shops and believe me they are properly done out. She's a lovely girl and if you met her you'd never guess what business she was in. I drink with her dad. We have a laugh about it but that's all. He's a good parent full stop. Everyone has a different level of what's acceptable. I'm shocked by a lot of what I see but we live in different times now. As long as nobody is being harmed then I can live with it. Rosemary, no matter how your daughter turned out, it wouldn't have to be a reflection on you as long as you know you did your best.

Margaretta
07-08-2011, 15:23
People must make their own choices. Sometimes moral guidance is accepted and sometimes it isn't. But there are so many situations demanding different types of morality; you just have to look at what is right for you and those you affect. Many celebrities are actors or acting a part in public because that is expected. On a one-to-one they are you and I and may have good or bad attributes. But if you don't celebrate lachievements there will be nothing for which to strive.

The sex industry is just that...an industry for many who work under its umbrella. It does not mean that they are unpleasant people or behave in the same way outside working hours.

Jimandsi
07-08-2011, 15:29
I've just read some of this thread again and there seems to be a common theme from our female posters:-

To be a male celebrity you have to be rich (why's that then ?) and to be a female celebrity you have to have a fake tan and big knockers (jealousy maybe ?).

How sad. :crylaughing:

TOTO 99
07-08-2011, 15:36
I've just read some of this thread again and there seems to be a common theme from our female posters:-

To be a male celebrity you have to be rich (why's that then ?) and to be a female celebrity you have to have a fake tan and big knockers (jealousy maybe ?).

Luckilly, you were blessed with both eh Jimbo..:laugh:

Margaretta
07-08-2011, 15:39
Jimandsi, as someone said previously, you are a celebrity here so if you are rich you have my vote!
I shan't be asking to see your assets to prove it though!!!:wow: But can you keep we ladies in the manner to which we wish to be accustomed???:crazy:

caroletenerife
07-08-2011, 16:27

Dawn French may well have big knockers, can remember her having a fake tan though and i dont think Oprah needs one, you seem to be focusing on Jordan (i wonder why???), and im pretty sure Ghandi was skint

Added after 3 minutes:

Fantastic Patrick. he could take me to the stars and Brian May could come too....

Oh Margaretta nooo. Berlusconi, hes a dirty old perv, we will replace him with Martin Luther King x

pablo1
07-08-2011, 17:37
Wow, Rosemary is ruthless !! I imagine Mary Whitehouse received Christmas cards and fan mail back in the day !!
Not that there is anything wrong with having strong moral values by the way, in fact it's refreshing to hear these views in the era of obsessive Z- list celebrity wannabe's !!
Keep your threads coming, I for one are looking forward to reading about what you dislike next ... :-)

TOTO 99
07-08-2011, 17:48
Wow, Rosemary is ruthless !! I imagine Mary Whitehouse received Christmas cards and fan mail back in the day !!
Not that there is anything wrong with having strong moral values by the way, in fact it's refreshing to hear these views in the era of obsessive Z- list celebrity wannabe's !!
Keep your threads coming, I for one are looking forward to reading about what you dislike next ... :-)

Have you ever been hit with a tambourine?....:twak:

cheery
07-08-2011, 18:09
Celebrities, where do I start?

Non-entities who are dazzled by the glare of 15 minutes of fame. Big Brother contestants (never seen more than 2 minutes of it) who audition by being ridiculous and/or naked at audition. Slappers who sleep with footballers minor actors who have been in poor soaps.

None of these hold a nano second's interest for me. I wouldn't cross the road to punch them never mind fawn all over them as some people seem to want to do (see above). Fame should be something you have because of worthwhile achievements. Most of the 'celebrities' these days seem to have varying degrees of notoriety, be it fighting in a nightclub, peeing in the street or some other such misdemeanour.

I'm going for a lie down.

lozzie1821
07-08-2011, 19:04
Fantastic...just make sure you let us know when you're doing it. I guarantee you'll get more hits than the cats, dogs, and illegal lettings put together...:D

haha. Oh believe me im gonna do it... Even if it aint page 3 and its swimwear/lingerie modelling i have my heart set on it..

when i was turning 21 my dad offered me a 21st bday party or a boob job coz i had gone on about it since i was 14!!! I fell pregnant at 20 with my daughter so i had to have a party and well my boobs grew - I had my son the year later & now im concentratin on shiftin the baby weight and have promised myself that boob job at 25... :-)

Im soooooooo Excited!!!!!

I totally get peoples disapproval of jordan - you either love her or you hate her!
but as a woman in todays society, she made everything she has herself ok she had to change her looks to do so but it wasnt off the back of some footballer... If you take the time to read her books she is similar to cheryl cole just different walks of life, both average girls off the street with their own unique talent that managed to get the right team around them to make them who they are today!

Jimandsi
07-08-2011, 19:28
@ lozzie1821,

I may have missed something here but .....

This Jordan woman you refer to and the other one you mention, Cheryl Cole.

What exactly do they do ? :confused:

And what are their (as you call it) "unique talents" ?

I'm confused.com :crylaughing:

lozzie1821
07-08-2011, 19:34
@ lozzie1821,

ok maybe unique was the wrong way 2 describe their jobs as there are soo many out there like them but what i meant by that they have got where they are today by sheer hard work, determination and by themselves... they didnt have famous boyfriend before they were thrust into the public eye...

TOTO 99
07-08-2011, 19:35
@ lozzie1821,

One is a model and author amongst other things. The other is a singer with one of the most successful groups in the country Jimbo. What's so wrong with that? If either were my daughter I'd be very proud that they'd done well for themselves. Wouldn't you do the same?

Goforgold
07-08-2011, 19:39
One is a model and author amongst other things. The other is a singer with one of the most successful groups in the country Jimbo. What's so wrong with that? If either were my daughter I'd be very proud that they'd done well for themselves. Wouldn't you do the same?

Whilst I agree that Jordan has been very clever with marketing herself in a way to make millions, she did use a ghost writer.

Jimandsi
07-08-2011, 19:42

So, do you regard them as "celebrities" as well ?

TOTO 99
07-08-2011, 19:47
So, do you regard them as "celebrities" as well ?

They are, whether I regard them or not. Neither is my cup of tea but I have a big enough mind not to dismiss them just because of that. And as I said, would you not be proud if they were your child?

Whilst I agree that Jordan has been very clever with marketing herself in a way to make millions, she did use a ghost writer.

Is that like Stephen King GFG? ...:laugh:

Goforgold
07-08-2011, 19:49
We're going off topic here. The title is who really cares about celebrities.

As mentioned very early on, there should be a Poll really and then that would settle it. :)

Bobby
07-08-2011, 19:53
What do posters think of the line up for the next celebrite Big Brother? Loads of B class types. Druggies included.

TOTO 99
07-08-2011, 19:57
What do posters think of the line up for the next celebrite Big Brother? Loads of B class types. Druggies included.

When has it ever been anything else Bobby? :D

Margaretta
07-08-2011, 20:08
CaroleTenerife...I think we are muddled between dead and alive....but I agree with your substitute!
Nooooooo Bobby! Let's have an A-list of intelligent and capable celebrities whose qualities are worth emulating.
Do we care about celebrities? If they are good role-models in their field: yes! For example so many celebrities work hard for charities and never let the public know. It comes to light after they have died.
There are really talented people who use their talents properly and behave with dignity e.g.JK Rowling. They are worth caring about.

Goforgold
07-08-2011, 20:27
CaroleTenerife...I think we are muddled between dead and alive....but I agree with your substitute!
Nooooooo Bobby! Let's have an A-list of intelligent and capable celebrities whose qualities are worth emulating.
Do we care about celebrities? If they are good role-models in their field: yes! For example so many celebrities work hard for charities and never let the public know. It comes to light after they have died.
There are really talented people who use their talents properly and behave with dignity e.g.JK Rowling. They are worth caring about.

I liked your Rolf Harris - he is a lovely man and genuine. He always has a nice word for everyone and spends many more hours than he is booked at signings, when he could just get up and go home.

I don't look on him as a celebrity, just a talented, lovely man.

warbey
07-08-2011, 20:31
Cheryl Cole....she's a sister of Nat King;)

Seen those horrible tatts.? (Duck)

Goforgold
07-08-2011, 20:32
Seen those horrible tatts.? (Duck)

No!! Only tatts I've seen were on my plate earlier!! Oh sorry they were tatties!! ;)

warbey
07-08-2011, 20:39
No!! Only tatts I've seen were on my plate earlier!! Oh sorry they were tatties!! ;)

Careful Hun, Have You gone a wee bit Scottish..?

Goforgold
07-08-2011, 20:42
Careful Hun, Have You gone a wee bit Scottish..?

I didn't know it was Scottish - me mam sometimes called them tatties!! :)

Margaretta
07-08-2011, 20:49
How did I forget the wonderful David Attenborough....and the apes?

caroletenerife
08-08-2011, 10:14
How did I forget the wonderful David Attenborough....and the apes?
Now there is an interesting man, and his brother richard was great in interviews. I think one of best interviews Parky ever did was with David Niven, he was a true gent.

Balcony
08-08-2011, 10:18
Noone in their right mind. They totally irrelevant to us. Other than you pay to see a film/shown or buy a CD etc who really cares? And do they care for you are 'their public'? I don't think so!

What is worse and the air heads like Paris Hilton, Peter Andre and the twit he was married too....making a fortune doing NOTHING.

What is it with this "Celebrity" crazed culture we live in? I noticed some time back a thread wich asked if you had "seen a Celebrity" on the island.

IMO this kind of empty cult worship of people who are famous for being famous, is a sign of a bankrupt society - and I donīt mean the financial kind. Celebrities are people who are ....what exactly? Are they people who have made this world a better place to live in? Are they people who have enriched our lives, enlightened our existence, inspired us to follow our dreams, helped us to solve a few problems of this strife torn world? i donīt think so.

Sundowner
08-08-2011, 14:29
Think you're overrating him as a singer. So what if he made millions, he did this through TV production companies NOT taking a share of the monies raised ( I'm not saying his profile wasn't raised by Live Aid but this "fame" also got him into government buildings worldwide where he further pressed the case for debt relief). Regards syphoning off money, Doreen has already covered that.

I never suggested he took a share of the Live Aid money, only that afterwards he made millions (which makes him smart, not a thief)

As to syphoning off money I still think I was right on that, anybody who knows Africa will know that it happens all the time, but I was wrong to say it made it worse, as in this case it seem's to have helped end the conflict! http://adalvoice.wordpress.com/2010/03/13/who-reported-aid-cash-had-been-used-to-buy-weapons-rather-than-food/

lozzie1821
08-08-2011, 14:48
Noone in their right mind. They totally irrelevant to us. Other than you pay to see a film/shown or buy a CD etc who really cares? And do they care for you are 'their public'? I don't think so!

What is worse and the air heads like Paris Hilton, Peter Andre and the twit he was married too....making a fortune doing NOTHING.

I hardly call Katie price someone who did nothing........... ok she gets her clothes of which aint rocket science BUT everything she has she got herself and not off the back of a famous football boyfriend...
she knew what she wanted and she went out and got it ok she may of had to "disfigure" herself as some would call it but she did that out of choice and well by doing so has made her millions.... she might not be a world famous author but she is one.. and she also is involved in show jumping with horses... a skill she has earned through sheer hard work.
I dont get how you can compare the like of paris hilton and katie price...
Paris hilton is an heiress and has had 5mins of fame on a tv show a complete twit as you call her and i AGREE but not katie price... that i amfraid you are wrong bout IMO

Cat Woman
08-08-2011, 15:47
I hardly call Katie price someone who did nothing........... ok she gets her clothes of which aint rocket science BUT everything she has she got herself and not off the back of a famous football boyfriend...
she knew what she wanted and she went out and got it ok she may of had to "disfigure" herself as some would call it but she did that out of choice and well by doing so has made her millions.... she might not be a world famous author but she is one.. and she also is involved in show jumping with horses... a skill she has earned through sheer hard work.
I dont get how you can compare the like of paris hilton and katie price...
Paris hilton is an heiress and has had 5mins of fame on a tv show a complete twit as you call her and i AGREE but not katie price... that i amfraid you are wrong bout IMO

She doesnt write her own books, she gives someone else an idea of what type of story she wants and they make them into books.
Piers Morgan was interviewing her recently, she told him how many books she had written, he asked her if she had read any of them! She then admitted she doesnt actually write them.
I saw her years ago at a bike show in Birmingham, she was on the stage being interviewed by Sasha Baron Cohen, he was really taking the p*ss out of her big time! and she didnt have a clue. I was cringing for her.

lozzie1821
08-08-2011, 16:12
Ok taking the author title away from her she has still made herself who she is today off her own back so its hardly doing "nothing"
If anything people who date her become more noticed in the public eye more than anything.

caroletenerife
08-08-2011, 17:28
I never suggested he took a share of the Live Aid money, only that afterwards he made millions (which makes him smart, not a thief)

As to syphoning off money I still think I was right on that, anybody who knows Africa will know that it happens all the time, but I was wrong to say it made it worse, as in this case it seem's to have helped end the conflict! http://adalvoice.wordpress.com/2010/03/13/who-reported-aid-cash-had-been-used-to-buy-weapons-rather-than-food/

Unlike the upstanding British Honourable Members of Parliament and others in powerful public positions (police)who would never dream of scamming the public purse or taking bribes from the press for their own gain:D

MaxineC
09-08-2011, 01:45
haha. Oh believe me im gonna do it... Even if it aint page 3 and its swimwear/lingerie modelling i have my heart set on it..

when i was turning 21 my dad offered me a 21st bday party or a boob job coz i had gone on about it since i was 14!!! I fell pregnant at 20 with my daughter so i had to have a party and well my boobs grew - I had my son the year later & now im concentratin on shiftin the baby weight and have promised myself that boob job at 25... :-)

Im soooooooo Excited!!!!!

I totally get peoples disapproval of jordan - you either love her or you hate her!
but as a woman in todays society, she made everything she has herself ok she had to change her looks to do so but it wasnt off the back of some footballer... If you take the time to read her books she is similar to cheryl cole just different walks of life, both average girls off the street with their own unique talent that managed to get the right team around them to make them who they are today!

Sorry to be a dream slayer, but at 25 and with tattoos, you will not even get your foot in the door as a main stream swimwear or lingerie model... too old and they don't like tattoos! I can say this as I have been in the modelling business since I was 15... as a swimwear and lingerie model!! I now have a successful fetish glamour modelling website, and small agency. Many photographers now ask for no tattoos or piercings (except ears) in that field too, but there are plenty that don't. Page 3 prefer no tattoos, or minimum, and many now don't like implants either.

However, if you are interested in the glamour modelling world, feel free to pm me, and I will give you further details...

With regards to 'celebrities', I've met tonnes of them, they're just normal people at the end of the day, nothing special. Having had a couple of well known boyfriends, I would never want to be a celebrity... Having paps outside your house/following you around is bloody awful. Trying to have a romantic dinner, or quiet drink, and people come up, without a thought for your privacy, asking for photos, girls chucking themselves in front of the man whilst they're with you, is a serious pain in the backside... No thanks, anonymity all the way please! Anybody that craves that lifestyle seriously needs to consider therapy!!

canarianchicken
09-08-2011, 03:12
I love celebrities, but only those who are famous for doing something, like entertaining, sport etc.
However, those who are famous for being famous! No Thanks.

lozzie1821
09-08-2011, 14:51
Sorry to be a dream slayer, but at 25 and with tattoos, you will not even get your foot in the door as a main stream swimwear or lingerie model... too old and they don't like tattoos! I can say this as I have been in the modelling business since I was 15... as a swimwear and lingerie model!! I now have a successful fetish glamour modelling website, and small agency. Many photographers now ask for no tattoos or piercings (except ears) in that field too, but there are plenty that don't. Page 3 prefer no tattoos, or minimum, and many now don't like implants either.

However, if you are interested in the glamour modelling world, feel free to pm me, and I will give you further details...

With regards to 'celebrities', I've met tonnes of them, they're just normal people at the end of the day, nothing special. Having had a couple of well known boyfriends, I would never want to be a celebrity... Having paps outside your house/following you around is bloody awful. Trying to have a romantic dinner, or quiet drink, and people come up, without a thought for your privacy, asking for photos, girls chucking themselves in front of the man whilst they're with you, is a serious pain in the backside... No thanks, anonymity all the way please! Anybody that craves that lifestyle seriously needs to consider therapy!!

You aint the 1st to stamp all over a dream of mine & you wont be the last but hey somehow and some way im gonna do it whether it be small time modelling or glamour modelling... I aint giving up!

MaxineC
09-08-2011, 14:56
You aint the 1st to stamp all over a dream of mine & you wont be the last but hey somehow and some way im gonna do it whether it be small time modelling or glamour modelling... I aint giving up!

Only trying to help, this is a business I know very well...