PDA

View Full Version : If you're reading a good book... share it with us

cainaries
08-08-2011, 00:55
I'm always on the look out for a good book, kindle or no kindle.

If you're reading something which you're enjoying, please tell me what it is.

Thanks!

Jackie
08-08-2011, 08:01
I have recently finished the true Stories of Dave Peltzer. They are heartbreaking and very disturbing reads about his abusive mother and his family while growing up, but I couldn't put them down.

The 1st 'A child called It', the 2nd ' The Lost Boy' and the 3rd 'A man named Dave'

His younger brother Richard Pelzer also wrote two books about their life, the 1st 'A brothers Journey' and the 2nd 'A teenagers Journey' which I read straight after. I was absolutely hooked by these 5 books and read them in just over a week they were so gripping.

Goforgold
08-08-2011, 08:23
Just finished reading Martina Cole's 'The Family' - that was a good read. :)

Susief
08-08-2011, 08:33
Just finished reading Martina Cole's 'The Family' - that was a good read. :)

Love Martina Cole.

I am reading a Patricia Cornwell book at the mo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goforgold
08-08-2011, 08:36
Love Martina Cole.

I am reading a Patricia Cornwell book at the mo.

Morning SusieF - I will put Patricia Cornwell down on my list of authors to look out for. Thanks. :)

Bobby
08-08-2011, 09:14
Morning SusieF - I will put Patricia Cornwell down on my list of authors to look out for. Thanks. :)

I'm half way through reading the Sharpe series by the other Cornwall - Bernard. For any one interested the complete series are available on amazon at a very cheap price.

cjd01
08-08-2011, 10:15
Rough Justice by Stephen Leather - a fantastic read - couldn't put it down! Cant recommend highly enough

Zara
08-08-2011, 10:21
Just finished Robert Goddard's Long Time Coming - Excellent but so are all his books IMO

Eldritch Swan is a dead man. Or at least that is what his nephew Stephen has always been told. Until one day Swan walks back into his life after thirty-six years in an Irish prison. He won’t say why he was locked up – only that he is innocent of any crime. His return should interest no one. But the visit of a lawyer with a strange request will take Swan and his sceptical nephew to London, where an exhibition of Picasso paintings is the starting point on a journey that will take them back to when the pictures were last seen – on the eve of the Second World War. Untangling the web of murky secrets, family ties and old betrayals that surrounds their mysterious reappearance will prove to be a dangerous pursuit for the two men. Because watching their every step is a sinister enemy who will do whatever it takes to stop the truth emerging …

Just started what I call a 'woman's book' Maureen Lee's Stepping Stones - Life in 1940-50 Liverpool, raw, grimy and so far very good.

delgirl
08-08-2011, 10:31
try reading Kimberley Chambers like Martina Cole imo her books are better have listened to a talk she has given she is really good :wave:

Susief
08-08-2011, 10:39
try reading Kimberley Chambers like Martina Cole imo her books are better have listened to a talk she has given she is really good :wave:

I'll look out for her.

GFG P Cornwell is based on Dr Scarpetta, a forensic medical examiner.

Goforgold
08-08-2011, 10:43
Thanks everyone for taking the time to add their favourite author's/books and thanks Cainaries for starting the thread, it's great when you know who to look out for, to have a good read. Keep them coming :)

christa
08-08-2011, 10:46
The best a man can get - John O'Farrell

Very very funny. Haven't laughed out loud while reading a book for ages!

Skeggy
08-08-2011, 10:53
For a good lighthearted holiday read I reccommend Polly Evan's account of her
cycle ride across Spain entitled It's not about the tapas, full of historical facts, geography and most of all great humour.

casabonny
08-08-2011, 11:04
Jessie Keane is good, much like Martina Cole .Sohie Kinsella and Jane Costello writes good girlie books .
Have just read another book called cut and run but cant remember the name of the author, my daughter has it at the moment so will let you know who its by.

Goforgold
08-08-2011, 11:08
For a fun read in between the gruesome stuff, I like Cecelia Ahern.

dede
08-08-2011, 11:10
Jessie Keane is good, much like Martina Cole .Sohie Kinsella and Jane Costello writes good girlie books .
Have just read another book called cut and run but cant remember the name of the author, my daughter has it at the moment so will let you know who its by. Yes love all Jessie' books, also Mandasue Heller, and Karen Rose....ooo not to be missed. if anyone wants to borrow any just let me know.

casabonny
08-08-2011, 11:11
Yes love all Jessie' books, also Mandasue Heller, and Karen Rose....ooo not to be missed. if anyone wants to borrow any just let me know.
Yes have read Mandasue Heller , that might be who wrote Cut and Run.Not read any Karen Rose will look out for some of hers.Thanks for the tips.

anto3
08-08-2011, 11:34
The mafia princess, it is a true story about a english girl who marries a mafia mob guy in italy, She remember when she was child and her italian granny would take her out for a walk with a machine gun and she would shot the guys on the other side. This is begin made into a film:

nath
08-08-2011, 12:13
I have loads of ebooks I would not mind sharing. Not sure if I get into trouble over offering this over here... If you send me a pm I can have a look if what you are looking for is in my list. I have not finished them all (nor will I within the next few years I'm afraid). Most of them are in .lit format but this is easily converted with a free program named stanza. Some ebooks I can probably share just by email. I also have loads of audio books (great in car or when walking dog and even whilst doing household chores at least that is when I am "reading". But these are too large to share by email. We will be back in TF within the next few weeks so I am sure we can work something out then....
(hope my inbox can handle the responses....).

Malteser Monkey
08-08-2011, 13:16
Janet and John ! :whistle::cheeky:

steve_
08-08-2011, 13:23
Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, its a bit like game of thrones. I cant put it down, utterly brilliant. if you want a kindle version PM me

cainaries
08-08-2011, 15:04

Hi GFG it helps to read the Patricia Cornwell's in the right order. Not essential, they are stand-alone stories, but there is quite a lot of reference to events in previous books. The first few are probably the best.

I'm half way through reading the Sharpe series by the other Cornwall - Bernard. For any one interested the complete series are available on amazon at a very cheap price.

OH and his son love Sharpe, both the books and the television series.

Added after 3 minutes:

Oh .. a new author, thank you so much!

Added after 3 minutes:

For a fun read in between the gruesome stuff, I like Cecelia Ahern.

Was she one of the people in 'The Royle Family' or my wires totally crossed here?

Mawkin
08-08-2011, 15:11
I also like Lee Child and Harlan Coben as authors.

cainaries
08-08-2011, 15:13
Janet and John ! :whistle::cheeky:
Did you manage to finish it, Madam Monkey?

Me too! And OH likes them as well which is unusual as we don't often like the same authors.

This is brilliant, everyone, thank you. Think I will definitely get my kindle now with all these recommendations and some undiscovered authors.

Malteser Monkey
08-08-2011, 15:19
No I got my bubble gum stuck between 2 pages and I can't continue - ho hum:D

dede
08-08-2011, 15:22

got loads from these authors aswell if anyone want to borrow them. very good.

DeedeeTipperary
08-08-2011, 15:23
I am in my element reading this thread :) , my favourites also , Patricia Cornwell read all of hers , Karen Rose read all of hers , James Patterson ditto . I only wish they could write a bit faster :) . Lee Child has a great series of stories about a character called Jack Reacher a great read , and I love Harlen Coben also . At the minute I have just started a James Patterson/ Michael Ledwidge thiller " Now You See Her " so I will be burning the midnight oil until I finish it .
I used to give all my books to my friend who love the same authors as me , but since she had her little one she hasnt the time to read so they are gathering dust on the bookshelves

Zara
08-08-2011, 15:44
Not forgetting Nelson DeMille - every book different every one brilliant especially Night Fall - who can forget that ending.

Goforgold
08-08-2011, 15:50
Hi GFG it helps to read the Patricia Cornwell's in the right order. Not essential, they are stand-alone stories, but there is quite a lot of reference to events in previous books. The first few are probably the best.

Thanks for the tip Cainaries :)

Was she one of the people in 'The Royle Family' or my wires totally crossed here?
Nothing to do with the Royal Family - but might be too light and fluffy for you. :)

I've just come home with my Kindle - OH is reading the destructions as we speak. Let me know when yours comes and we can share experiences ;) Will be in touch.....

cainaries
08-08-2011, 18:59
Not forgetting Nelson DeMille - every book different every one brilliant especially Night Fall - who can forget that ending.

Never heard of him/her. I am going to have to persuade the Financial Controller to let me get a kindle.

I am reading a book called "The Novel in the Viola" by Natasha Solomons. So far it's too Mills and Boone for me (though I am hardly able to put it down), but I think the second half may change as World War 11 has broken out.

Thanks again for all your answers.

And I'm assuming Malteser Monkey got her bubblegum stuck on the first two pages of Janet and John!

Added after 3 minutes:

Nothing to do with the Royal Family - but might be too light and fluffy for you. :)

I've just come home with my Kindle - OH is reading the destructions as we speak. Let me know when yours comes and we can share experiences ;) Will be in touch.....

Sometimes jokes pass me by on here, GFG. No, nothing to do with the Royal Family rolleyes2: but I thought this was the actress who played the daughter in The Royle Family who turned to writing after health problems. But I'm probably barking up the wrong tree ... and there doesn't seem to be a smilie for that.

Goforgold
08-08-2011, 19:10
Never heard of him/her. I am going to have to persuade the Financial Controller to let me get a kindle.

I am reading a book called "The Novel in the Viola" by Natasha Solomons. So far it's too Mills and Boone for me (though I am hardly able to put it down), but I think the second half may change as World War 11 has broken out.

And I'm assuming Malteser Monkey got her bubblegum stuck on the first two pages of Janet and John!

Added after 3 minutes:

Sometimes jokes pass me by on here, GFG. No, nothing to do with the Royal Family rolleyes2: but I thought this was the actress who played the daughter in The Royle Family who turned to writing after health problems. But I'm probably barking up the wrong tree ... and there doesn't seem to be a smilie for that.

What joke? That's passed me by too. Oh dear, not doing to well today! :(

You are probably right Cainaries - as you know I don't take too much notice of things. Lack of concentration problems and I don't tend to take much notice of who plays what on where sort of just go along ................. Anyway, whoever it is, I quite like the stories in between more heavy stuff :) I will make the effort and do a Google :)

It was Caroline Ahern who wrote the series - maybe Cecelia was her mother!! ;) or did Caroline just change her name ???

Harmonicaman
08-08-2011, 19:11

Added after 3 minutes:

Caroline Aherne...

tonym
17-08-2011, 11:07
Recently finished a Jeffery Deaver book. Garden of Beasts. Not his usual Lincoln Rhyme story, this is set in the 30´s (pre war Germany) where the US send over a hit man with the olympic althletes to wipe out one of Hitlers key war machine backers. A brilliant read.

I also have a good number of other fantastic reads if anyone fancies swapping ? List includes Lee child, M Connelly,Peter James, Robert Goddard, Grisham, Rankin, Peter Robinson, Baldacci,Robotham and some others also highly recommended.......................... What have you got to exchange ???

cainaries
17-08-2011, 12:45

You are probably right Cainaries - as you know I don't take too much notice of things. Lack of concentration problems and I don't tend to take much notice of who plays what on where sort of just go along ................. Anyway, whoever it is, I quite like the stories in between more heavy stuff :) I will make the effort and do a Google :)

It was Caroline Ahern who wrote the series - maybe Cecelia was her mother!! ;) or did Caroline just change her name ???

Thanks, GFG. My concentration is so bad I'd forgotten I'd started the thread! Lots of new authors to try thanks to everyone who's answered. Sadly, I'm not on Tenerife to swap actual books but the idea of swapping e-books could be very interesting.

Thanks, GFG. My concentration is so bad I'd forgotten I'd started the thread! Lots of new authors to try thanks to everyone who's answered. Sadly, I'm not on Tenerife to swap actual books but the idea of swapping e-books could be very interesting.

Apology for double entry post-keeping.

CaribeCelt
17-08-2011, 12:59
Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa
A heartbreaking account about the forced evictions of the Palestinians into refugee camps.

lozzie1821
17-08-2011, 13:51
Martina Cole... The business...

Im dying for the new one......... The family. x