PDA

View Full Version : 15,885 homes in Canary isles survive on incomes of less than 180 euros a month

bonitatime
08-08-2011, 16:42
http://www.diariodeavisos.com/2011/08/07/economia/cerca-de-16-000-hogares-canarios-sobreviven-con-menos-de-180-euros-al-mes

A total of 15,885 homes in Canary isles survive on incomes of less than 180 euros a month and 94,909 do with just 350 euros a month, information released by a study by the Instituto Canario de Estadística (ISTAC) with the Europa Press.

The study, which was conducted in February this year among more than 536,000 homes, only on the island of Tenerife 7374 families each month receive an income that does not exceed 180 euros, a figure that in the case of the island of Gran Canariais reduced to 6582 households.

In the smaller islands, the first position is occupied by La Palma, with 885 families with monthly incomes below 180 euros. We continue to Lanzarote, with 688 households with incomes below 180 euros, Fuerteventura, with 153, El Hierro, with 115, and La Gomera, with 87 households with less than 180 euros a month.

This study also shows that about 95,000 families Canary attempt to pay their expenses each month with revenues ranging between 180 and 350 euros. As shown previously, Tenerife is in the lead with 45,143 households that earn less than 350 euros a month, followed closely by the island of Gran Canaria, where 37,760 families also try to survive on this income.

Families in La Palma, those with least income

In La Palma, a total of 5984 households receive a monthly income below 350 euros. Lanzarote are situated behind, with 2933 families, Fuerteventura, 1339, La Gomera, with 976, and El Hierro, with 774 families whose income does not exceed this figure.

Considering households with incomes between 600 and 780 euros in the Canary Islands would be talking about 93,082 families trying to reach the end of the month with this income. Of these, 35,219 live in Tenerife and Gran Canaria 41,308.

If the smaller islands of La Palma was occupied first place in more families with less income, on this occasion it is Lanzarote, which is placed at the top with 6963 monthly income households that do not exceed 780 euros.*Followed by Fuerteventura, with 4366 families, La Palma, in 3622, La Gomera, in 1071, and El Hierro, with 533 homes.

ISTAC data has also found that in the Canaries there are 36,550 households that cover all expenses for the month with incomes that are above 1380 euros. The island of Gran Canaria which is at the forefront of the archipelago with 15,637 families who have such income. A little fewer are found in Tenerife, with 14,192 homes.

Among the smaller islands, the most 'rich' would Fuerteventura, since households perceive 3684 revenues in excess of 1380 euros.*In 2108 Lanzarote homes do , in La Palma a total of 632, in La Gomera, 211, and El Hierro, 87.

sunspot
08-08-2011, 16:51
How in the hell do they survive, thats unimaginable, trying to survive on that weekly would be hard but monthly,not a chance

Davie Thistle
08-08-2011, 17:15
.....probably living on the borderline of skint & poverty!!

I know we are in this dump of a country,

the 'bosses' wages for a 45 hour week just barely cover our out goings!
most of the time we dip into mine.

still, the heating & lighting bills must be at least a quarter of ours,
spose that helps a lot,

don't think I'd like to try living on £150 a munf!!!

just as well I dont drink! :whistle:

caroletenerife
08-08-2011, 17:15
Thats shocking, is this after expenses such as rent etc, you would not be able to survive on 45euros a week if you would need to fork out rent.

Mawkin
08-08-2011, 17:42
I wonder with any figures how true they really are, such as how much income is still under the counter and black money???

cainaries
08-08-2011, 18:47
Thank you, that is really interesting. I can only think of one person I actually know who is obviously living off that kind of income and she is English and having a truly desperate struggle. Since she has blown a fortune I'm not very sympathetic. I think you should take into account that here on La Palma there a lot of pople living in inherited property so they are not paying any rent or mortgage. Vegetable patches are almost compulsory and lots of people keep goats, rabbits chickens, pigs, etc. so food bills would be lower ... but they have got to find the money to pay for the food for the animals. But you'd still have to pay electricity and definitely have to pay for water. Even with a 'water right' rather than using mains water, that would cost something every day. And people help each other out. Our neighbours are incredibly generous often bringing us spare produce. We don't often have anything to exchange but they never mind.

I live near the second town on La Palma and it is still bustling. Which I'm relieved about now I've read those statistics. Given the population of the island is only about 88,000 that it should have more poor families than the bigger islands is a shock to me.

slodgedad
08-08-2011, 19:45
You would be amazed at how people have to manage on the island lately.

Since my wife's illness and consequent rehabilitation and my loss of work, virtually all our prized possessions have had to be sold.

You can't go to the dole, cap in hand, here.

Nic
08-08-2011, 20:11
I hate to say it but crime figures will surely rise with these figures of income. I told someone this news today when I read the paper (who has a job paying 1800€ a month) and she said "well, they just have to get off their backsides and look for work!". I was shocked, unemployment is so high here and people in employment seem to be slightly blinkered with regards to unemployment figures and people with money don't realise how tough it is for people who are living on benefits. They think everyone has something tucked away. It really is tough here (and most other places in Europe) just now but at least we have the sun to keep us happy (although on 180€ a month I doubt even that would soften the blow).

slodgedad
08-08-2011, 20:16
I hate to say it but crime figures will surely rise with these figures of income. I told someone this news today when I read the paper (who has a job paying 1800€ a month) and she said "well, they just have to get off their backsides and look for work!". I was shocked, unemployment is so high here and people in employment seem to be slightly blinkered with regards to unemployment figures and people with money don't realise how tough it is for people who are living on benefits. They think everyone has something tucked away. It really is tough here (and most other places in Europe) just now but at least we have the sun to keep us happy (although on 180€ a month I doubt even that would soften the blow).

Must agree I was a bit like that till everything went belly up

sunspot
08-08-2011, 20:20

That could only have come from someone with a " im alright Jack" attitude,they think its so easy to get work,its really hard and for every job advertised theres masses of applicants going for that job,dont knock the unemployed over here,there for the grace of god......................

slodgedad
08-08-2011, 20:23
That could only have come from someone with a " im alright Jack" attitude,they think its so easy to get work,its really hard and for every job advertised theres masses of applicants going for that job,dont knock the unemployed over here,there for the grace of god......................Everyone assumes that most with no work are happy with the status quo.

Maybe in the UK but not here.

Nic
08-08-2011, 21:04
Everyone assumes that most with no work are happy with the status quo.

Maybe in the UK but not here.

Have to agree. Everyone says "oh it's so much cheaper to live in Tenerife than the UK". Look at the cost of shopping here compared to the UK, I personally think it costs more here but okay, our rates, water and electricity bills are lower, it's swings and roundabouts all I know is that life is pretty tough here without a decent income :(

slodgedad
08-08-2011, 21:19
Have to agree. Everyone says "oh it's so much cheaper to live in Tenerife than the UK". Look at the cost of shopping here compared to the UK, I personally think it costs more here but okay, our rates, water and electricity bills are lower, it's swings and roundabouts all I know is that life is pretty tough here without a decent income :(Whether it's cheaper or not is another subject.

Here there is no magic cushion as there is in the UK.

The guiling part is that the UK pays everything to immigrants, tax payers or not, whereas here, regardless of your work history everyone gets a basic subsistence level of support til it runs out.

No housing benefit, no help with prescriptions, no magic form to fill in, in fact no social help at all. If you're skint, you're skint.

caroletenerife
08-08-2011, 22:15
The riots in England (i do not believe they are about the death of this man), they about greed and the chance to grab a freebie. The so called 'experts' will blame, poverty, disenchantment, social deprivation etc etc. They dont know they are born over there, they should be made to realise real poverty and need, like those here who are surviving with as much dignity as they can muster on the pittance this report states.

cainaries
08-08-2011, 22:49
The riots in England (i do not believe they are about the death of this man), they about greed and the chance to grab a freebie. The so called 'experts' will blame, poverty, disenchantment, social deprivation etc etc. They dont know they are born over there, they should be made to realise real poverty and need, like those here who are surviving with as much dignity as they can muster on the pittance this report states.
You are absolutely right.

bonitatime
08-08-2011, 23:03
The health service offered places for some caretakers jobs in May for which over 20,000 people applied to take the exam required to pass for the position.
Not sure get off their a***s fits that senario