PDA

View Full Version : Why would you go to your own country restaurant, bar, when you are in Tenerife?

El Viento
08-08-2011, 21:01
Hola!

I'm amazed why people are so obsessed with eating and drinking products from their countries.:wave: BARS, RESTAURANTS, etc...

I can understand people which are staying here for loooong time are missing their own countries food, drink..., but the visitors which are comming here and not trying something new and local food:spin: - YOU are living and eating there all your life and why wouldn't you like to try somthing else..

VIVA TENERIFE!!! ;)

Harmonicaman
08-08-2011, 21:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7-12iJ8xTM

:cheeky:

slodgedad
08-08-2011, 21:09
I totally agree, but on the other hand (I assume you are Spanish) wouldn't you be drawn to a Spanish restaurant on holiday abroad?

Because a lot of Brits spend a lot of their time in Brit eateries doesn't mean they don't try the local fayre in fact, the vast majority do.

Ecky Thump
08-08-2011, 21:15
I totally agree, but on the other hand (I assume you are Spanish) wouldn't you be drawn to a Spanish restaurant on holiday abroad?

Because a lot of Brits spend a lot of their time in Brit eateries doesn't mean they don't try the local fayre in fact, the vast majority do.

I should really be ashamed to say this, but I spend the majority of my holidays in touristic areas and its frustrating to find that most of the cuisine on offer is British orientated.:ashamed:

junglejim
08-08-2011, 21:24
Hola Viento - youīve obviously not taken to drinking Guinness !
For me itīs the only beer I can drink other than drinking red wine - Rioja is my favorite ,but itīs difficult to find Guinness in Spanish bars
I nearly always eat in Canarian restaurants apart from the odd Chinese and when cooking I like trying Spanish style cooking , unfortunately my wife wonīt eat chickpeas aor any pulses but loves Chorizo , Serrano ham and Morcillo ( not as good as Stornoway Black Pudding). She loves Churros but not the chocolate!
But I can agree ,too many people come abroad and wonīt try different food styles and for some the change in diet does upset their digestion .
Why donīt you give us some suggestions and pointers ?

slodgedad
08-08-2011, 21:27
I should really be ashamed to say this, but I spend the majority of my holidays in touristic areas and its frustrating to find that most of the cuisine on offer is British orientated.:ashamed:I did say majority Ecks, and you've never professed to be one of them..:D

warbey
08-08-2011, 21:32
My first Holiday in Espana was in Catalonia.
I spoke No Spanish, but many Spaniards spoke some English.
I went back each Year and made and saw Our Spanish Friends..

I dont like Paella but I love Dorada and calamares Almendras and more.
I love the Confectionery and the Sauces to go with Foods.
I am also sure there are many on here the same.

slodgedad
08-08-2011, 21:42
Must admit I can't stand sea food, but love Spanish food.

The secret is to do it the same as the locals, try a tapas of something you are not sure of, if you like it go the whole hog.

Carne con papas (meat and spuds) is still my favourite tapa.

Literally translated it sounds boring but give it a go with freshly cooked bread....dribble

Goforgold
09-08-2011, 08:45
Must admit I can't stand sea food, but love Spanish food.

The secret is to do it the same as the locals, try a tapas of something you are not sure of, if you like it go the whole hog.

Carne con papas (meat and spuds) is still my favourite tapa.

Literally translated it sounds boring but give it a go with freshly cooked bread....dribble

Mmmmmmmm Carne con Papas - always been my favourite too, along with a barraquitos :)

Malteser Monkey
09-08-2011, 09:11
Not us El Viento - We love the Spanish food and drink. I don't travel 4.5 hours to eat fish and chips ! Cherne y papas arrugadas si !

Always have Jamon serrano in the fridge I make Carne (or pollo) con papas at least once a month. El seņor MM loves my ensaladilla russo, and wouldn't be without a bottle of liquor 43 for the baraquitos !

bonitatime
09-08-2011, 10:31
A lot of people do. I was talking to someone who said they were reading holiday complaints forms recently.
The complaints included:
Too hot
too much sum
not enough English food
too many foreigners

Not much hope for some really.

I can't imagine going anywhere on holiday and eating english food every day.

Malteser Monkey
09-08-2011, 10:45
A lot of people do. I was talking to someone who said they were reading holiday complaints forms recently.
The complaints included:
Too hot
too much sum
not enough English food
too many foreigners

Is that Chinese Dim Sum ? sorry:cheeky:

They should go to Rhyl - they'd enjoy it there :goodluck:

MaxineC
09-08-2011, 11:19
Never done it, never understood it!

Part of the fun of travelling, for me, was trying the local cuisine. Of course I've made some massive blunders, and ended up with a plate of 'food' in front of me that has filled me with horror... but all part of the fun! ;)

I'm often asked by tourists to recommend places to eat, but am shocked by the amount of people that then say, 'Oh no, I don't want any of that foreign muck, where are the good English restaurants...' My response is simple, they're in England! Does my head in! :wall:

junglejim
09-08-2011, 11:35
When back in Tenerife I enjoy watching the Spanish TV cooks and cooking programmes to learn new dishes to try but a lot of the recipes use crazy amounts of oil and fat - nearly as bad as James Martin and his butterfest cooking .
Just love making a new dish and it comes out tasting really good !
I remember in the early 70īs going to Spain with the Lentil dishes, potatoes and meat stew and green beans - turning up your nose at it - now itīs lovely !!

williethetim
09-08-2011, 12:35
Hola Viento - youīve obviously not taken to drinking Guinness !
For me itīs the only beer I can drink other than drinking red wine - Rioja is my favorite ,but itīs difficult to find Guinness in Spanish bars
I nearly always eat in Canarian restaurants apart from the odd Chinese and when cooking I like trying Spanish style cooking , unfortunately my wife wonīt eat chickpeas aor any pulses but loves Chorizo , Serrano ham and Morcillo ( not as good as Stornoway Black Pudding). She loves Churros but not the chocolate!
But I can agree ,too many people come abroad and wonīt try different food styles and for some the change in diet does upset their digestion .
Why donīt you give us some suggestions and pointers ?
Where do you recommend jim in the Torviscas area..

cainaries
09-08-2011, 12:58
Is that Chinese Dim Sum ? sorry:cheeky:

They should go to Rhyl - they'd enjoy it there :goodluck:
But Rhyl is full of foreigners, MM!!;)

Malteser Monkey
09-08-2011, 13:16
But Rhyl is full of foreigners, MM!!;)

only from across the water - Scousers ain't that bad C, just a bit of a dodgey accent like !:D

dom
09-08-2011, 13:33
The complaints included:
Too hot
too much sum
not enough English food
too many foreigners

i agree with one of those complaints there are far too many British here :cheeky:

junglejim
09-08-2011, 14:11
Where do you recommend jim in the Torviscas area..

My favourite is always El Gomero - good choices at good prices , not the fanciest but have never had a bad meal , whether itīs lamb , fresh fish of day, seafood, pulpo gallego , some canarian sweets, frangollo , bienmesabe ( very sweet)- the fact itīs busy speaks for itself( closed Sundays).
I donīt drive in Tenerife so I miss out on the great restaurants outside PDLA that some of my friends go to .
I like El Rodeo along from Gran Sur as a South American style all you can eat Parilla but I think you need several people there to set the atmosphere- as a Churrasqueria itīs a great experience .

Malteser Monkey
09-08-2011, 14:22
Jim where abouts is El Gomero (think it might be the same one I'm thinking) near El Camison going towards Cristianos ?

chifleta
09-08-2011, 14:53
When back in Tenerife I enjoy watching the Spanish TV cooks and cooking programmes to learn new dishes to try but a lot of the recipes use crazy amounts of oil and fat - nearly as bad as James Martin and his butterfest cooking .
Just love making a new dish and it comes out tasting really good !
I remember in the early 70īs going to Spain with the Lentil dishes, potatoes and meat stew and green beans - turning up your nose at it - now itīs lovely !!

it's crazy how much oil is used.... i recently got a weight watcher recipe for paella, I added a few bits and changed the cooking time order, but with just one teaspoon of olive oil, I made a paella that fed 4 adults, and it was loverrrrrly :) .... which is a bit of a bummer now, as hubby (who is Canarian and makes a wicked paella) has decided that I should make the paellas from now on :-D

junglejim
09-08-2011, 16:32
Jim where abouts is El Gomero (think it might be the same one I'm thinking) near El Camison going towards Cristianos ?
No itīs across from Police Station in Las Terazzas , just along from Magma Exhibition Centre - closed Sundays-
Oh and they do a lovely Paella too Chifleta !

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=San+Eugenio,+Adeje,+Espa%C3%B1a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=28.068515,-16.727403&spn=0.004203,0.010568&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.540145,43.286133&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.067962,-16.726586&panoid=xMsSOMkOsDabZdTGIsS49g&cbp=12,219.17,,0,0

chifleta
09-08-2011, 16:42
No itīs across from Police Station in Las Terazzas , just along from Magma Exhibition Centre - closed Sundays-
Oh and they do a lovely Paella too Chifleta !]

might give it a try... though we never eat paella in restaurants (always too disappointing as hubby makes it better hehe), and hardly ever have fresh fish because we go fishing and catch our own... but love Canarian stews and love lamb, so might have to pop down one day (not Sunday :-D )

Goforgold
09-08-2011, 16:44
Not us El Viento - We love the Spanish food and drink. I don't travel 4.5 hours to eat fish and chips ! Cherne y papas arrugadas si !

Always have Jamon serrano in the fridge I make Carne (or pollo) con papas at least once a month. El seņor MM loves my ensaladilla russo, and wouldn't be without a bottle of liquor 43 for the baraquitos !

Can you jot down your recipe for Carne o pollo con papas mi nina??!!! :)

Malteser Monkey
09-08-2011, 16:49
Can you jot down your recipe for Carne o pollo con papas mi nina??!!! :)

will do just leaving work do it later or maņana hun!

Harmonicaman
09-08-2011, 16:52

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=San+Eugenio,+Adeje,+Espa%C3%B1a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=28.068515,-16.727403&spn=0.004203,0.010568&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.540145,43.286133&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.067962,-16.726586&panoid=xMsSOMkOsDabZdTGIsS49g&cbp=12,219.17,,0,0

I've pinned it on this map (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=200146396252530989839.0004aa1487af12cb8329 0&msa=0) JJ.

Sundowner
09-08-2011, 21:39
I think you will find that most people whatever country they come from like to have some of their own cuisine when on holiday ( it reminds them of home). But that said I think you will find that British people are one of the most adventurous when it comes to eating the different cuisines from around the world! Even back home in the U.K. you will find people eating Spanish, Italian, Indian, Thai, French, Russian, Polish, Chinese etc, etc, and sometimes even Scotish ( Aberdeen Angus)

sundownersvince
09-08-2011, 21:47
And I like to spice it up with a nice Indian.......

junglejim
09-08-2011, 22:35
I think you will find that most people whatever country they come from like to have some of their own cuisine when on holiday ( it reminds them of home). But that said I think you will find that British people are one of the most adventurous when it comes to eating the different cuisines from around the world! Even back home in the U.K. you will find people eating Spanish, Italian, Indian, Thai, French, Russian, Polish, Chinese etc, etc, and sometimes even Scotish ( Aberdeen Angus)
Think youīll find Aberdeen Angus in Tenerife is about as Scottish as Nick Cleggīs heritage is English !

Harmonicaman
09-08-2011, 23:06
Think youīll find Aberdeen Angus in Tenerife is about as Scottish as Nick Cleggīs heritage is English !

Next you'll be telling us Gordon Ramseys in Tenerife is fake!:laugh:

slodgedad
09-08-2011, 23:10
And I like to spice it up with a nice Indian.......You do realize we are talking food here, don't you?

bonitatime
09-08-2011, 23:34

They are owned by the same company

marbro8
10-08-2011, 00:10
i love canarian potatoes and that lovely red and green paste's that you get for free(and it costs so much at the airport!!!) and i would love to try paella but my wife (bless her) would never entertain it, and they allways seem to only do it for 2 people?

Leam_Lin
10-08-2011, 08:31
i love canarian potatoes and that lovely red and green paste's that you get for free(and it costs so much at the airport!!!) and i would love to try paella but my wife (bless her) would never entertain it, and they allways seem to only do it for 2 people?

Gran Paella Valenciana at the Krystal centre do a paella for one.

junglejim
10-08-2011, 09:03
Next you'll be telling us Gordon Ramseys in Tenerife is fake!:laugh:

You realise weīre talking about food here !(sic):v2:

WeeJake
11-08-2011, 02:37
Spanish food is delicious and We love the real thing. . We live in a little spanish village and the locals just love making us some of their dishes. Lentejas, cooked in a pot with garlic, maybe a bit of bacon, ham and/or chorizo, and a bay leaf or two, or ropa vieja (old clothes) with chicpeas and meat that has been shredded like rags. Absolutely delicious. The down side to all of this is that in the tourist resorts, i.e Las Americas and Los Cristianos there are only a few Traditional restaurants who do these things well. For some reason a lot of the restaurants try to cook european dishes instead of sticking to what they know. They try to compete and not every restaurant knows how to cook steak. the number of times Weīve had to send them back because the bloody is running off the plate and thatīs what they term Medium. Now to most europeans a Medium steak is a steak thatīs pink in the middle but No Blood. Rare is the only time you should ever see blood. Rabbit here (conejo) is slashed to death with a machete. Where I come from the rabbit is portioned into two front quarters, two hind quarters, the rib cage and the rear. (The head is discarded) and the meat is stewed slowly (absolutely beautiful). Rabbit bones are sharp and when sliced with an axe the meat becomes unbearable to eat because youīre constantly picking out shards of bones. Maybe the problem isnīt the tourists picking the Brit Pubs and Restaurants. Maybe the problem is some of the chefs need to learn how to cook.

Malteser Monkey
11-08-2011, 12:17
El Gomero II - at the bottom of El Camison

that's the one I was thinking of - used to eat in there. Is it still good ?

Goforgold have just emailed you my recipie for Carne con Paps !

wen53
11-08-2011, 23:29
I have just returned from the island, we stayed in the Torviscas/Adeje area so was mainly tourist restaurants but I found a restaurant that does a meat paella as I am allergic to fish, it was listed as 'for 2' or 'for 1' but we were with our daughter so just asked for it for 3 and thay said no problem, however it would be about 25 mins or so before it would be ready, so I knew it wasn't a frozen one!
It's hard to search out authentic spanish places in these areas, however I can throughly recommend Otello's for canarian garlic chicken, mmmmmm :yum:

btw, the meat paella was at the Francis restaurant

Saltnpepper
25-08-2011, 22:50
I should really be ashamed to say this, but I spend the majority of my holidays in touristic areas and its frustrating to find that most of the cuisine on offer is British orientated.:ashamed:
Ecky - there are restaurants in tourist areas that offer Spanish food, go & try them. If not - don't spend your holidays in those areas! Come to somewhere traditionally Canarian, like San Miguel where we live, & enjoy traditional Canarian cuisine where the staff are friendly, helpful & genuinely want you to enjoy the food & come back again!

dokgolf
26-08-2011, 00:36
Being from Ireland, I'm always amazed by the amount of people in Irish bars. If that tickles your fancy, why don't you just stay at home? The only time I enter an Irish bar abroad is to watch Gaelic football or hurling matches. Personally, I'll find a place within a couple of days where the staff are friendly and the beer cold. That's where I'll end up most nights and so far, its seems to be in local tavernas. When we go out for a meal, I'll always try something new at least once. ( Last time, it was deep fried baby squid...... not a big fan). Anyway, what's the point of going to a foreign country if you are not going to try other cultures. P.S. If anyone can recommend other bars in Los Gigantes/P. Santiago, I'll try them next time I'm over