PDA

View Full Version : Utilities Is this a good price for air conditioning in Tenerife?

mlun
09-08-2011, 02:47
I gave a company that has worked for me several times, and previous to my full satisfaction, the job to install an aircon unit (internal + external) part, and the price was quoted as 1785€ incl. IGIC. The model was not further specified other than he said that Mitsubishi was a good brand.

Now the unit has been installed, and its a Samsung model aqw09psax. It has a PVPR (what does that mean btw??) of 664€ but I found it as low as 489€ by searching o the internet.

The unit has been mounted in our bedroom with the inverter part just opposite the wall, so the simplest possible installation.

When I gave my supplier this information he offered to reduce the price to 1500€, but also offered to take it back completely.

Any opinions on this? I must say that I am quite shocked that he has tried to sell this unit to such a price

no.job.2.small
09-08-2011, 08:39
For a 'back to back' air con unit to cool an average size bedroom the man we use normally charges the cost of the unit and about €250 for the installation, so it normally costs about €750 - €850 fitteddepending on it being a low energy unit or not !

junglejim
09-08-2011, 08:40
My unit for living room with outside compressor cost €750 installed - can΄t remember make -about 30 months ago .

sunspot
09-08-2011, 09:41
I agree thats a bit steep,just paid 750 for a samsung,fitted and installed

anegib
09-08-2011, 10:17
I feel you may be getting ripped off down there. Admittedly it was a few years ago now but I paid 500euros for air con and installation from Carefour outside Santa Cruz. They had a promotion on air conditioning machine and installation.

atlantico
09-08-2011, 10:45
these systems are predominately 'DIY' fitted, so easy it shouldn't cost much to install at all

carpenter
09-08-2011, 11:09
I gave a company that has worked for me several times, and previous to my full satisfaction, the job to install an aircon unit (internal + external) part, and the price was quoted as 1785€ incl. IGIC. The model was not further specified other than he said that Mitsubishi was a good brand.

Now the unit has been installed, and its a Samsung model aqw09psax. It has a PVPR (what does that mean btw??) of 664€ but I found it as low as 489€ by searching o the internet.

The unit has been mounted in our bedroom with the inverter part just opposite the wall, so the simplest possible installation.

When I gave my supplier this information he offered to reduce the price to 1500€, but also offered to take it back completely.

Any opinions on this? I must say that I am quite shocked that he has tried to sell this unit to such a price

Sounds like you've got yourself a name as a "good payer" one of those customers that jack of all trades see as an easy pay day.
You were right to check the price and confront him with it so well done for that. I quite often take my customers to the ferreteria so they can see the price for themselves and give them an option to pay with credit card so they are covered.
Do you have the receipt and guarantee?
One thing I must ask, most air con installers will simply wire them into the nearest light switch but the proper installers will take a separate feed from the consumer box with it's own RCD OR Trip switch. If he has done this then his is entitled to charge an extra €150 I feel.

mlun
09-08-2011, 14:24
Thanks for the replies. I think I know fairly well now what the correct price should have been, so I'll take it from there with the supplier. At least he has offered to take it back, so we will probably find a good solution.
However, I wouldn't mind knowing if anyone could recommend a model that is veeeeery silent and have a good efficiency ratio? Primarily needed for bedroom cooling/heating, but in periods with the door open it could also contribute to the rest of the apartment (total of 50m2, but normally only 10m2).

9PLUS
09-08-2011, 15:29

That happens to be your fault, you had the chance before you'd accepted the quotation to clarify any points you didn't understand.

Now the unit has been installed, and its a Samsung model aqw09psax. It has a PVPR (what does that mean btw??) of 664€ but I found it as low as 489€ by searching o the internet------------------

-------------------When I gave my supplier this information he offered to reduce the price to 1500€, but also offered to take it back completely.

PVPR means that it's the Recommended retail price to the public (Precio recomendado de venta al pϊblico ).

The actual model is aqV09psax anyway and can be found on the Net for less than you have quoted previously but i guess there would be somekind of transportation costs and may even incur some sort of taxation with customs so who knows the exact price to your door?

It's unfair to get prices from the Internet and compare them with what it costs here if you're not purchasing it yourself as there are many Net based companies undercuting local businesses that just can not compete with these no overhead businesses.

They did however offer you a discount it would have been nice for them to have said the unit is slightly cheaper than the one originally quoted so here's X amount off of your bill.

One of the tricks in business that the Spanish do is quote for one thing include the works "O simular" and just install cheap and nasty stuff or whatever is on offer at the time. I don't know if the English etc do the same thing as i dont have that much to do with them.

All in all if what you say is correct it may seem as though it is on the expensive side but every company is different. If they have done it correctly like Carpenter has already mentioned, then it could well be the right price for a professionaly installed system.

Question:- Are you happy with their work and product?

At least you didn't pay some unknown outfit and they've done a runner with your cash

x

atlantico
09-08-2011, 17:06
another point to mention, is the outside unit and inside one more than say 6' - 10' away from each other ?

The cheaper units are pre-gassed for installs of only up to 6' - 10' away, any further and it would need extra pipework and re-gassing / topping up = more cost. Also, did it just go straight through the wall or is it piped via ducting through one room into another etc = more cost. Again, as mentioned, if it had it's own separate electric supply and breakers installed in the consumer unit = more cost. Also, what work was inloved in plumbing in the waste water, does it go into your drainage system, out onto patio or into a 8L water bottle ?

see where I'm going to ??

9PLUS
09-08-2011, 17:30
Did you get the 8L water bottle thats on your patio included within the original quote?

mlun
10-08-2011, 07:30
another point to mention, is the outside unit and inside one more than say 6' - 10' away from each other ?

The cheaper units are pre-gassed for installs of only up to 6' - 10' away, any further and it would need extra pipework and re-gassing / topping up = more cost. Also, did it just go straight through the wall or is it piped via ducting through one room into another etc = more cost. Again, as mentioned, if it had it's own separate electric supply and breakers installed in the consumer unit = more cost. Also, what work was inloved in plumbing in the waste water, does it go into your drainage system, out onto patio or into a 8L water bottle ?

see where I'm going to ??

Indeed. But as mentioned the simplest possible installation: Directly through one wall and placed exactly outside this (0'), and the drain is lead into an existing drain 1½ meters below the unit (where there was an existing drain for our washing machine) and electricity taken 1½ meters down and 1 meter to the left from the plug supplying the washing machine.

9PLUS
10-08-2011, 07:47
electricity taken 1½ meters down and 1 meter to the left from the plug supplying the washing machine.

Cowboy install then

atlantico
10-08-2011, 12:20
I wouldn't go as far as saying cowboy , but definitely a DIY job, and NOT worth the price charged.

mind you, a qualified fitter wouldn't take the supply from a socket, especially in Tenerife, but nearly all air-con fitters here DO ! Air Con units should have their own supply. Mine has a 16mm2, 25amp supply direct to consumer unit.

out of curiosity , is the company and ELECtrician with a REPutation for good workmanship?

Angusjim
10-08-2011, 12:39
Well your were ripped if they put in a 16mm for a 25amp supply :whistle:

Jackie Buyer
10-08-2011, 13:07

By the replies you have just learnt an expensive lesson & must be kicking yourself, next time get 3 x quotes, its safest that way

atlantico
10-08-2011, 13:29
Well your were ripped if they put in a 16mm for a 25amp supply :whistle:

Nope, as I had the 16mm2 left over from re-cabling the main supply from meter and I installed it myself !

mlun
16-08-2011, 21:36
Anyone who could offer a good very silent (brand new) unit with top energy efficiency and install it 7th, 8th or 9th September in La Paz Puerto de la Cruz? I offered the guy who has delivered the mentioned unit to buy it for 668€ (Samsung gross price) + 150€ (+/-) for the installation, but - for reasons I find very difficult to understand - he rejected this as being completely unrealistic. So he'll dismantle the Samsung, and I need another unit.

Basically it is only needed for a bedroom (10 m2), but preferably it could also deliver heat to the entire house in cold periods of the winter season (50 m2 total).

Please PM me with precise details (Price, model No and datasheet) if interested. As mentioned the install is simpler than easy.

9PLUS
16-08-2011, 22:54
Do you think you could do it yourself?

How much are you looking at with your own pricing skills and would your previous model be suffice to generate enough heat output for 50M2?

I'm thinking another guy turns up and sees there has been a fresh install......maybe just me?

maybe he would be paying 25% tax on the profit and he doesn't meet his margins?