PDA

View Full Version : Is correct spelling really so important?

canarianchicken
09-08-2011, 13:03
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm.
Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig?
I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Santiago
09-08-2011, 13:34
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig?

It's true that the above message can easily be read, but a basic knowledge of spelling is needed, even for that. After all, if you couldn't spell the word in the first, place how would you be able to write the text so well?

slodgedad
09-08-2011, 15:15

As long as the first and last letters in every word are correct and the rest of the letters are there then the brain unscrambles them.

Shame search engines can't do the same..

bonitatime
09-08-2011, 15:38
Not sure consequently why such a fuss is made about dislesia and how they spell

Jimandsi
09-08-2011, 16:01
Try writing a job application and your CV like that and it'll go straight in the bin :crylaughing:

TOTO 99
09-08-2011, 16:07
I wonder how much they pay these guys for this stuff?

timmylish
09-08-2011, 23:29
Answering the apparent question put then I believe the answer is yes. If not why have any education at all?

marbro8
09-08-2011, 23:36
i have been pulled up a few times on this forum and taken the **** out of a few times, so i allways use spell check, i think there are a few grammar snobs on here but tbh i don't think i should be bovered:wink2:

timmylish
09-08-2011, 23:39
8. I,m certainly no snob, of any type. However I do like to think that my spelling is accurate and that if slightly more were taken then perhaps that would rub off onto our kids and Grand-kids.
Just an opinion.

slodgedad
09-08-2011, 23:41
INHO of course spelling is important, especially on the www.

Imagine trying to find an apartment in Los Gigantes and typing in 'Apto wtd LG' which incidentally has happened on here.

It was left for a day or two and then edited and the asker closed the thread in hours because he was sorted.

This answers a question asked on another thread too, when members have complained about thread titles being changed.

Do members want their adverts and requests kept unique to TF members, or do they want them open to the world of the internet?

If I had something to sell or say I know which I'd choose.

marbro8
10-08-2011, 00:00
8. I,m certainly no snob, of any type. However I do like to think that my spelling is accurate and that if slightly more were taken then perhaps that would rub off onto our kids and Grand-kids.
Just an opinion. and i agree with your opinion but there are a few members on here that do struggle on here through dyslexia and i don't think we should make them feel any worse than they already do:)

canarianchicken
10-08-2011, 02:15
If people had manners, they wouldn't pull you up on your spelling in the first place.
My point here was just to show how unimportant the correct spelling of a word really is.
The thread title was more of a headline than a real question.
I believe that people should be able to spell, add up and respect each other etc etc,
but the piece makes interesting reading doesn't it?

finca18jrl
10-08-2011, 17:55
I am new to this site and was generally browsing, when I happened upon this thread. Sorry, but I think spelling is really important. When we first meet a stranger, we make a judgement on them, based on how they speak (sorry, but we do). So when we first "meet" someone via the written word, we inevitably make a judgement based on what we see... ie. content and spelling!

Ecky Thump
10-08-2011, 19:07
Just an opinion.

With the use of computers in schools, the importance of spelling seems to have dropped, the school that both my Grandchildren attend have disabled the spell checks on the computers, this was a step to make the children learn and use their memory.

sundownersvince
10-08-2011, 19:17
Generally I find the younger a person is the worse their spelling and grammar is. I put it down to the lowering of standards in education over the years. When I was at skule a rap over the nuckles with a wooden ruler soon made you sit up and take notice!