PDA

View Full Version : UK Car Insurance for non UK residents

Alf
09-08-2011, 18:12
Does anyone know of a car insurance company in the UK that will insure a UK registered car, with a full UK licenced driver, who owns a property in the UK, but is a resident in Tenerife? I have been on the internet for hours and filled in all sorts of forms and it all comes down to not being a UK resident and itīs a big NO if youīre not. Help please, if you can.

There are loads of people with cars in Tenerife, insured with Spanish insurance companies and these people are not residents in Tenerife. Why is it that the UK has to be so .........!

Balcony
09-08-2011, 18:15
It's usual. You can't have a foot in both camps, so to speak. You'd have to arrange insurance in the country you reside in extended to cover your UK needs

Of course, do some of those insured's you mention lie on their applications?

Mawkin
09-08-2011, 20:12
And if push comes to shove would they be covered???

sundownersvince
09-08-2011, 20:58
:idea: Get a uk resident to insure the car and you can be a named driver.

TIS
09-08-2011, 22:16
Does anyone know of a car insurance company in the UK that will insure a UK registered car, with a full UK licenced driver, who owns a property in the UK, but is a resident in Tenerife? I have been on the internet for hours and filled in all sorts of forms and it all comes down to not being a UK resident and itīs a big NO if youīre not. Help please, if you can.

There are loads of people with cars in Tenerife, insured with Spanish insurance companies and these people are not residents in Tenerife. Why is it that the UK has to be so .........!
Why post this on a TENERIFE forum. Why not do so on UK forum if you are interested in insuring with a UK company????? Most people here will be so out of touch with UK rules and companies that the info given is uunlikely to be up to date anyway.

Or as previous response says, get named on somebody else's insurance, or insure the car from here ( but technically the car has to be here first to get it insured)

slodgedad
09-08-2011, 23:00
If you are a resident here and your car is here then why not use a local company?

Car insurance here is much cheaper than the UK and includes a green card that covers the car if you ever take it back to the UK.

My car is insured for the whole of Europe, with my Spanish address, and costs half of the cheapest quote I could get using a UK address.

However the car is registered here.

casabonny
10-08-2011, 15:01

If you have a full Uk licence , a Uk property and a Uk registered car I dont see why there should be a problem.Are all the companies asking you to state your country of residence ? or just for your Uk address.I could see a problem if you held aSpanish licence , my husbands cousin had trouble putting me on his insurance in the UK as a temporary driver with a Spanish licence , but I dont really see why the RESIDENCY should be an issue if you are a property owner there .:confused:
If the car is here then you can insure it with certain companies and you would receive a 12month green card which generally covers you for visits to all the countries listed on the green card ( too many to mention ! 0

Alf
17-08-2011, 18:13
Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. The problem is sorted. Anyone else who is a resident in Tenerife, but has a UK address, a UK license, and a UK registered car to insure in the UK, go to AXA Insurance. They will do it. If you go to any of the websites like Money Supermarket .com or Compare the Market .com, etc., you will see as you fill in your details that you have to tick a box to say you are a UK resident. I even phoned Direct Line and Churchill and was told they only insure UK residents. Anyway, I've managed to get the car insurance I needed. Thanks again everyone.