PDA

View Full Version : Is this payment for rental on my studio in Tenerife legitimate?

mariben
10-08-2011, 10:16
Hi I need some advice, hopefully someone on forum can help me.

I had an enquiry to rent my studio, when I said it was available I was told that a company would be paying for it and to send my name and address and they would send a Bankers Draft or Euro Travellers Cheque, this would be in excess of the studio rental and when it had cleared and I had cashed it I would deducted my rental and send the remaining amount to a travel agents, instructions on how to send to the travel agents would be sent to me after I have recieved payment. The people in question are coming from Washington, United States. Am I just being silly or am I right to be concerned.

Thank you in Advance

Norm de Plume
10-08-2011, 10:27
Scam. Why would anyone send you more than they need to?

Loaded
10-08-2011, 10:33
Let me guess they're "delegates" or a group of "missionaries"....

obs
10-08-2011, 10:41
Hi mariben, have a look at this .... then tell them to go away .... nicely :D

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/overpayment-scam.html

TenerifeTeddy
10-08-2011, 10:47
This sounds like a money laundering scam to me. I think you should be very careful.

tonyda
10-08-2011, 10:59
Have a look at www.laymyhat.com thread on there about scam artists.

Balcony
10-08-2011, 12:47
It's the classic con. Nothing to do with money laundering. Totally and utterley ignore it.

The con men rely on the delay in getting a cheque/bankers draft cleared. By the time you learn that the "bankers draft" (chortle) is no good i.e. a fake usually, you may have issued a payment of the 'excess' and they'll be long gone. The con is so utterley aparent.

mariben
10-08-2011, 15:20
Thank you everyone for your replies, I will do as forum members have advised and ignore this e-mail.

Its times like this when you realise how good it is to have the Forum at hand to help you.

Mariben

Clicker
10-08-2011, 20:23
Hi Mariben - Yes this is definately a scam - we do car hire in the UK and have had the same request. Im not totally sure how it works but after you have sent them the 'supposed balance' ... it alll goes pear shaped !!

princessmonika
11-08-2011, 10:11
yes i got one 2 years ago -- but did not fall for it, because i want to have a lot more info before i rent out anything -- this was in ireland--

mariben
11-08-2011, 11:10
It all sounded a bit funny and I had my doubt's so thank you all for your replies.

Mariben

Stoney
11-08-2011, 12:31
If you are still unsure tell them you will accept the booking once the money has cleared. Explain that you will return the overpayment once the booking has been completed and you have inspected the property for damages, should there be any you will deduct the cost of repairs or replacement. Bet you don't get a response or they say they have booked elsewhere.

cainaries
11-08-2011, 12:37
If you are still unsure tell them you will accept the booking once the money has cleared. Explain that you will return the overpayment once the booking has been completed and you have inspected the property for damages, should there be any you will deduct the cost of repairs or replacement. Bet you don't get a response or they say they have booked elsewhere.

We actually went this route once a few years ago and I wrote and told the 'clients' that their payment had to reach me 6 weeks before they arrived (not that they were coming, of course). The guy grew quite frantic emailing me several times a day to see if his cheque had turned up. We eventually got a very fake cheque issued by something like the Allied Bank Eireland which arrived in a scruffy hand-written envelope which had been sent from Athens.

Depending on how the scammers discovered your apartment rental, mariben, you should report them back to the website - unless it is your own - as they won't only have written to you and they need to get that email address blocked.