PDA

View Full Version : Bars The Blaydon Races, The Patch, Las Americas, Tenerife

Davethepubsinger
10-08-2011, 10:50
I went with a group of friends to this venue last Monday. On arrival we were asked if we had booked (we hadn't) and were told that there were no tables available for a group of our size (9). However we could wait and see if any bookings failed to appear. We decided to stay as some of our group could only make this particular show so sat in the 'smoking area' outside the bar and watched as other people arrived who also hadn't booked.

At around 10.00 tables that had been reserved but had not turned up were given to those who were waiting and we were squeezed around two tables at the back of the bar.

Prior to Roxy Risque coming on the compere - Ray King - did Karaoke followed by a music quiz of TV theme tunes. There were three winning teams. Ray invited a member of each team on stage for the decider. I won't spoil it for you all but what ensued can only be described as hillarious. My wife said she had never laughed so much in her life.

Roxy came on about 11.15 and did a fantastic show lasting until 1.00 am. Unlike the other drag acts he actually sings the songs rather than mime them. He covered Rocky Horror, Cher, Tina Turner amongst others. As he owns the bar he can be on as long as he likes. I cannot recommend this show enough as an extremely funny night out. Go you won't be disappointed, but make sure you book first!

canarianchicken
10-08-2011, 11:00
Roxy is excellent.
Tony works damned hard and he has always been kind and helpful to me. ( I also perform a drag show over here). He deserves more credit for his hard work and dedication. He makes his own giant wigs and costumes too. A Star!

Zara
10-08-2011, 11:48
I would also recommend Roxy's shows, he is a first class entertainer, as OP said he has an excellent voice and doesnīt have to mime. He also plays piano - and if that isnīt enough he is a really nice bloke. Love him to bits

Medman
10-08-2011, 12:49
I would also recommend Roxy's shows, he is a first class entertainer, as OP said he has an excellent voice and doesnīt have to mime. He also plays piano - and if that isnīt enough he is a really nice bloke. Love him to bits

I would not normally go and see a drag act; BUT a couple of years back I was "dragged" to see Roxy at the Blaydon Races and to be honest I thought he was brilliant. One of the hardest working acts on the island. Mind you I didn't turn my back on him :D The second time I saw him was in a smaller venue (Central Station) and although it was not very busy he still busted his thingmeez and had the place jumping!
Another one man act that with the same attitude and work ethic is Paul Stone with his Billy Idol tribute. Although not a great singer he gives great value for money everytime. Always make a point of catching him when over.

Jackie Buyer
10-08-2011, 12:57
Always enjoy Roxy's show at Blaydon Races, he's also a handsome guy without all the makeup!

canarianchicken
11-08-2011, 02:50
I performed two shows tonight in the south, then went to catch the end of Roxy's night in the Blaydon Races.
He looked fabulous and sounded great. Go and see him folks!

golazzo
16-08-2011, 21:33
I performed two shows tonight in the south, then went to catch the end of Roxy's night in the Blaydon Races.
He looked fabulous and sounded great. Go and see him folks!

What's your act please, coming over on the 2nd Sept and one of the main reasons we keep coming, is we do like to watch acts.

Blyth Spirit
21-11-2011, 11:55
What night does Roxy perform believe it is Monday & Thursday nights can anyone confirm this.

birkdaleboy 07
24-11-2011, 22:42
Hi all does anyone know if roxy is open again at blaydon races please?

uptowngirl
24-11-2011, 22:47
It was open on MOnday

birkdaleboy 07
24-11-2011, 22:57
thats good we are over for the newyear and heard roxy had been poorly and the bar was closed good to know it will be open wen we get there.

Sharonk
25-11-2011, 21:15
We're there for christmas and new year, always like a couple of nights in Roxys, hope it is open.

Syorks1982
26-11-2011, 21:02
What night does Roxy perform believe it is Monday & Thursday nights can anyone confirm this.

Yes that's correct. One night is Roxy's Diva's and the other is Roxy goes to Hollywood. Not sure which show is on which night though, but one is Monday and one is Thursday.

Blyth Spirit
09-12-2011, 12:18
Have been told Roxy is back performing.

birkdaleboy 07
10-03-2012, 22:25
Hi all ive just ben told roxy is no longer at blayden races does anyone know is this true? ifso why has he left?

Andy0210
10-03-2012, 22:50
Yep closed now, Thursday was his / her last night.

Zara
10-03-2012, 23:44
He is at the Star Bar San Eugenio from tonight.

Buttercup
12-03-2012, 22:59
I thought Roxy had bought the Bladen Races Venue from the last owner! (My Aunt & Uncle did the decor for the previuos owner)

slodgedad
13-03-2012, 01:37
Bump. Anyone any more information?

Nic
13-03-2012, 08:58
One of my friends is a close friend of Roxy's. He wasn't making any money any more in the bar and was subsidising it from his own pocket so decided that it was time to call it a day. As someone else said he's now going to be the new compere in Star Bar. He did buy Blaydon a few years ago but as I say, finances were proving difficult so it's adios Blaydon, hello Star Bar.

Zara
13-03-2012, 10:11
There is a message on Tripadvisor that Cat from The Next Door Bar has taken it over, is changing the name to Blaydon (so dropping the races) and it is planned to open on 17th. Info is also on Facebook for those who use it.

imablue
13-03-2012, 10:42
i heard the same yesterday... but until it happens..?
could be the Tenerife Rumour Mill..!!

caroletenerife
13-03-2012, 11:29
One of my friends is a close friend of Roxy's. He wasn't making any money any more in the bar and was subsidising it from his own pocket so decided that it was time to call it a day. As someone else said he's now going to be the new compere in Star Bar. He did buy Blaydon a few years ago but as I say, finances were proving difficult so it's adios Blaydon, hello Star Bar.
Its a shame, I know when its time to start closing up depending on what song he was singing. Its been very quiet down the Patch area since Xmas. he will go down well at Star Bar, the German Hotel over road wont be happy (hes not a quiet singer) lol

Andy0210
13-03-2012, 12:17
Confirmed as re-opening on Sat 17th March with new owners. ;)

New owners are looking for comperes, Cabaret acts, staff and especially two good PRīs, should anyone be interested contact can be made via this facebook group.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/310486282344824/

COLLINSDJ
16-03-2012, 22:45
Hi guys

is blayden races still open - i have heard roxy is appearing in various venues at the moment , i thought roxy was the star attraction in blayden

Andy0210
16-03-2012, 22:56
No, at the moment it is closed, Roxy has left the building, it is no secret he is going to be the new compere at the Star Bar San Eugenio, Blaydon races or Blaydon as it is going to be called is re-opening under new management this Saturday.

The new owner is lining up a great weekly timetable of top quality acts and should do well as they have a proven track record of running bars in Tenerife already. :)

sarah84
25-03-2012, 15:37
I went down to the Patch the other night and realised that Blaydon Races has re-opened under new management and a new name, it's now Blaydon!
Cy Benson was on and we had a great night.
I though I'd give it a shout out on here to let eveyone know to go down and give the new owners your support and let you know what's going on doing there:-

Tonight they have Steve Delsey as Neil Sedaka
Monday - Avril Taylors Crazy World
Tuesday - Cy Benson
Wednesday - Pip Brown's Back to the Future show
Thursday - Helena Campbell
Friday - Indianna as Madonna
Saturday - Michael J Grant
Sunday - Marlo

They seem to have something for everyone!!

I'll definitely be going back!!

calrie
19-08-2012, 16:40
Is this bar still open?

cinnamon
19-08-2012, 17:23
Is this bar still open?

no, they closed down again beginning of august....

pamelams
24-09-2012, 18:31
no, they closed down again beginning of august....

Hi Has Blaydons opened again?
We are coming over in October and we are staying in the area

cinnamon
24-09-2012, 22:34
Hi Has Blaydons opened again?
We are coming over in October and we are staying in the area

not as far as i know...

Emmity
25-09-2012, 11:15
It is open again as a sports bar, now called JD's Sports bar @the blaydon races i believe. Went the other day and the signs outside say its open from 2pm and they also do food in there now, snacks etc. Been decorated and has 3 pool tables and a snooker table. I was pleasantly surprised when we visited, lots of TV's for all sports, darts was on when we went in :)

marbro8
25-09-2012, 18:08
i have just read every post on this thread and it has gone from euphoric to desperate then great to, well you get the picture, but i thought what a typical story of how bars have fared over the last few years in tenerife, no matter how good you are you are only as good as your last performance or season:( it looked to all the world after reading the first few posts that this establishment had got it right , and it would go on forever:confused:, lets just hope the next owners have more luck :)

tonypub
25-09-2012, 18:17
the owner must lovin itrolleyes2:

marbro8
25-09-2012, 18:28
the owner must lovin itrolleyes2:i will have a look for your thread tony and give it a bump:D but tbh mate you have been going forever so you are doing something right:wink2:

TOTO 99
25-09-2012, 18:30
i will have a look for your thread tony and give it a bump:D but tbh mate you have been going forever so you are doing something right:wink2:

:old:....................

gsc
28-04-2013, 14:01
The Blaydon Races will become VAMPS in October - big official opening planned.

It will still be a sports bar with pool tables, full size snooker table, 5 TVs etc etc but the entertainment will back in the evening.

For those who don't know Lez, he has a very successful bar in Alcudia and the same style will apply to the new Vamps on the Patch. I'll update this thread when I have more info.

slodgedad
28-04-2013, 14:14
The Blaydon Races will become VAMPS in October - big official opening planned.

It will still be a sports bar with pool tables, full size snooker table, 5 TVs etc etc but the entertainment will back in the evening.

For those who don't know Lez, he has a very successful bar in Alcudia and the same style will apply to the new Vamps on the Patch. I'll update this thread when I have more info.
Why not start a new thread in this section with the info you have already?

In that way others can update with any news they have.

gsc
28-04-2013, 17:05
Why not start a new thread in this section with the info you have already?

In that way others can update with any news they have.
Good idea :)

gsc
29-05-2013, 09:11
Hi All

After a great deal of thought we have decided to keep the Blaydon Races name.

Since opening again under the previous owners name of JD's 2 weeks ago we have come to realise how much people love the 'OLD' Blaydon. So we will stay a Cabaret Bar with great acts like Meatloaf, Michael Buble, Micky Glamz and others.

As soon as I can get the signs redone you will see us become "BLAYDON RACES" once more - back to the good old days and everything the Blaydon means to people that have been going for years.

We have plenty of room and the pools and snooker tables will stay along with darts and multi-screen sports.

We welcome all your input on ways we can make it better and better and look forward to seeing some of you - locals rates for drinks of course :wink2: