PDA

View Full Version : New Arabic humous snacks for sale in Mercadona in Tenerife

offshore diver
10-08-2011, 16:44
has anyone tried these new sncks in mercadona on sale for a euro in the frozen section ,its good quality taste is nearly as good as the stuff you find at the restaurants in the middle east minus the olive oil

ali marshall
10-08-2011, 19:47
Do you mean just the hummous dip???They did the dip in iceland in los cristianos but stopped doing it,that was quite nice.As you say had to add your own olive oil:(Would be great if they did started bringing some more middle east food in,the food is gorgeous.

We go to the balkone restaurant and have the 15.00 euro meal,which is many lebanese dishes, many dips and fatoush salad.Definitely one of my favorite restaurants.

Suej
10-08-2011, 20:13
Do you mean just the hummous dip???They did the dip in iceland in los cristianos but stopped doing it,that was quite nice.As you say had to add your own olive oil:(Would be great if they did started bringing some more middle east food in,the food is gorgeous.

We go to the balkone restaurant and have the 15.00 euro meal,which is many lebanese dishes, many dips and fatoush salad.Definitely one of my favorite restaurants.

Mercadona still do Hummous Ali! it´s much nicer than the Iceland one too! must look next time in Mercadona for the Arabic snacks, sounds wonderful!

ali marshall
10-08-2011, 20:48
Well im off down for a wander tommorow lol,love middle east food and even had a go at cooking some myself tonight,and got a thumbs up from my partner who is very picky and is from the middle east.

May dish some up from mercadona and hide the wrappers lol

ali marshall
12-08-2011, 21:12
Well went to mercadona today in los cristianos and could not find anything,got my hummous though.Off shore diver,what mercadonna store did you see these snacks in.

Suej
12-08-2011, 21:18
We´ll have to lynch him when he comes up for air! ;)

ali marshall
12-08-2011, 21:20
I know lol lucky i did not tell my other i was gonna make him some nice arabic food lol

MaxineC
13-08-2011, 00:04
I always thought Hummus was Greek... Or is Greece classed as Arabic ???

Jackie
13-08-2011, 09:25
Loads of different ones in Mercadona in San Eugenio

Suej
13-08-2011, 10:26
Loads of different ones in Mercadona in San Eugenio

What the Arabic snacks Jackie? maybe they are trying it out in just a few stores as a trial.:yum:

I always thought Hummus was Greek... Or is Greece classed as Arabic ???

We go to Habibi quite a bit which is Lebanese they also serve Hummus, and Turkish restaurants!:yum:

MICH
13-08-2011, 11:13
Thought i would share with you all a receipe to make your own Hummus,

You will need

A jar of Garbanzos
2 teaspoons of Olive Oil
Whole Lemon
A pinch of salt
Roasted red peppers ( optional)

Drain and rinse the Garbanzos, add above ingredients into a blender.

Enjoy!!!

ali marshall
13-08-2011, 12:01
What the Arabic snacks Jackie? maybe they are trying it out in just a few stores as a trial.:yum:
looks like trip to san eugenio is needed lol

We go to Habibi quite a bit which is Lebanese they also serve Hummus, and Turkish restaurants!:yum:True in syria and lebanon hummus is eaten alot,there is also2 other dips which i think is much nicer.Will ask my partner and find out the receipes.

Suej
13-08-2011, 12:21
I would appreciate any easy recipes Ali, OH is a very picky eater but loves this type of cuisine!:yum:

jewels
13-08-2011, 12:25
Thought i would share with you all a receipe to make your own Hummus,

You will need

A jar of Garbanzos
2 teaspoons of Olive Oil
Whole Lemon
A pinch of salt
Roasted red peppers ( optional)

Drain and rinse the Garbanzos, add above ingredients into a blender.

Enjoy!!!

Is that a whole lemon,peel and everything or just the flesh and juice.

offshore diver
14-08-2011, 14:15
Well went to mercadona today in los cristianos and could not find anything,got my hummous though.Off shore diver,what mercadonna store did you see these snacks in.

they sell them in mercadona san eugenio in the frozen area where the lasagne frozen meals are

MaxineC
14-08-2011, 14:21
they sell them in mercadona san eugenio in the frozen area where the lasagne frozen meals are

And sometimes, just to confuse you, they put it amongst the cheeses... :rolleyes:

Sundowner
14-08-2011, 16:36
The recipe I use for Hummus.......
2 x tins chick peas (garbanzos) 1 drained the other undrained
4 tablespoons of raw sesame seeds
1 tablespoon of olive oil
60ml lemon juice
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon of cumin

chuck it all in a blender until smooth.......enjoy :)

Suej
14-08-2011, 16:41
And sometimes, just to confuse you, they put it amongst the cheeses... :rolleyes:

The cheeses are in a chilled cabinet though Max not frozen, so are the snacks chilled or frozen? Doh!:confused:

Jackie
14-08-2011, 17:20
The cheeses are in a chilled cabinet though Max not frozen, so are the snacks chilled or frozen? Doh!:confused:

The ones I saw in the San Eugenio Mercadona where in the chilled cabinet along by the Pizzas:dontknow:

Suej
14-08-2011, 18:15
The ones I saw in the San Eugenio Mercadona where in the chilled cabinet along by the Pizzas:dontknow:

Ah well only way to find out is go and see for myself!:yum: Bank holiday tomorrow so will have to be Tuesday! I´m beginning to wonder if this thread is a wind up for us foodies! :laugh:

Jackie
14-08-2011, 18:40
Mercadona in San Eugenio is actually open tomorrow, they were announcing it over the tanoy while I was in there Friday

ali marshall
14-08-2011, 20:02
I would appreciate any easy recipes Ali, OH is a very picky eater but loves this type of cuisine!:yum:

My OH brought back a cd from syria last time he went,many receipes,in arabic and english,also shows the pictures of the dishes, so you least you know what your trying to make,I think he was hoping i was going to use it lol

Will dig it out tommorow and see if i can make a copy for you sue,if not wil pm some receipes for you.You must try the Balkone restaurant there food is lovely.The owner andmost of the staff are from lebanon,not been to Habbibi my partner knows the owner,apparently he is from germany.Will give it a try one day.

Saltnpepper
15-08-2011, 15:28
we love Balkonen restaurant too, but will definitely give Habibi a try for a change sometime

Suej
15-08-2011, 15:45
My OH brought back a cd from syria last time he went,many receipes,in arabic and english,also shows the pictures of the dishes, so you least you know what your trying to make,I think he was hoping i was going to use it lol

Will dig it out tommorow and see if i can make a copy for you sue,if not wil pm some receipes for you.You must try the Balkone restaurant there food is lovely.The owner andmost of the staff are from lebanon,not been to Habbibi my partner knows the owner,apparently he is from germany.Will give it a try one day.

Where is Balkonen please? I´m really hungry thinking about this lovely food!:yum:

Thanks Ali! no fish recipes though! and nothing too complicated...I appreciate it! X

Saltnpepper
15-08-2011, 16:42
Balkonen is in Las Americas, opposite the Columbus hotel, above Michelangelo restaurant. Very nice, can highly recommend it. They have an "international" menu with Lebanese specialities on the back page. We tend to share various dishes, rather than each order starters & main courses, & it doesn't work out too expensive at all. By the way, I'm still looking to find a Turkish restaurant here in the south if anyone knows of any! There are a couple in Santa Cruz I've been to but it's too much of a trek for a meal ...

Suej
15-08-2011, 16:44
Balkonen is in Las Americas, opposite the Columbus hotel, above Michelangelo restaurant. Very nice, can highly recommend it. They have an "international" menu with Lebanese specialities on the back page. We tend to share various dishes, rather than each order starters & main courses, & it doesn't work out too expensive at all. By the way, I'm still looking to find a Turkish restaurant here in the south if anyone knows of any! There are a couple in Santa Cruz I've been to but it's too much of a trek for a meal ...

Mmmmm! love Turkish food and Greek, there is El Greco but not tried it!:yum:

Saltnpepper
15-08-2011, 16:51
think you & I should go for a meal together, we seem to like the same type of food! El Greco's nice, we tried it in May, but I think I still prefer Greek Corner near Palm Beach ...

Zara
15-08-2011, 17:01
we love Balkonen restaurant too, but will definitely give Habibi a try for a change sometime

If you like the Balkonen you will love Habibi (http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/habibi-%E2%80%93-san-telmo/) and you should also try the Cafe Biblioteca (http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/cafe-biblioteca-la-camella-tenerife/)- Menus (http://www.cafebiblioteca.es/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=113&Itemid=797&lang=en)

Suej
15-08-2011, 17:06
think you & I should go for a meal together, we seem to like the same type of food! El Greco's nice, we tried it in May, but I think I still prefer Greek Corner near Palm Beach ...

Sounds good! do they do good Kleftico? Sorry just need to wipe the dribble off the keyboard!:laugh:

Saltnpepper
15-08-2011, 17:37
Zara - thanks, have tried Cafe Biblioteca & it's very good. SueJ - yes, I believe they do! lol

ali marshall
15-08-2011, 17:52
Sounds good! do they do good Kleftico? Sorry just need to wipe the dribble off the keyboard!:laugh:

Greek corner does do kleftico,just asked my OH as he actually works there and he says it is very nice.About time he took me there for a meal,i have never been but i guess not many people want to eat at there work place on their night off lol,also he gets a meal everyday at work so he the lucky one lol

Suej
15-08-2011, 18:02
Zara - thanks, have tried Cafe Biblioteca & it's very good. SueJ - yes, I believe they do! lol

Ah I looked on the link and Biblioteca is up the hill from me. My neighbour went there but said it was no where as nice as Habibi! but I still would like to try places for myself! :)

Greek corner does do kleftico,just asked my OH as he actually works there and he says it is very nice.About time he took me there for a meal,i have never been but i guess not many people want to eat at there work place on their night off lol,also he gets a meal everyday at work so he the lucky one lol

Ask him if I can work his day off! :yum::yum::yum:

Saltnpepper
15-08-2011, 18:10
Greek corner does do kleftico,just asked my OH as he actually works there and he says it is very nice.About time he took me there for a meal,i have never been but i guess not many people want to eat at there work place on their night off lol,also he gets a meal everyday at work so he the lucky one lol He certainly is the lucky one! What I'd really like to find is some good taramasalata - I do miss that from England - especially Marks & Sparks' version which is very yummy (now I'm drooling! lol)

Suej
15-08-2011, 19:06
He certainly is the lucky one! What I'd really like to find is some good taramasalata - I do miss that from England - especially Marks & Sparks' version which is very yummy (now I'm drooling! lol)

Or some nice refreshing Txaziki! there might me some recipes on the internet for Tara! Ali is trying to copy some recipes for us as we speak!

ali marshall
15-08-2011, 19:19
Still hard at in just dont get how to put them on as pdf files,copied them into a folder but still caanot manage it lol

Added after 3 minutes:

Toasted Bread Salad
lol dont ask me how i managed that one,shame it does not include pictures,anyway this is my favourite salad.

Al Fattoush
kÅKÍÜ
Fattouche
A delicious Lebanese salad
containing toasted bread,
parsley, tomato and other
vegetables.
1/2 Lebanese round bread (pitta), toasted
3 medium firm tomatoes, washed and
chopped
3 slender cucumbers (250g\9 oz),
washedandchopped
3 medium radishes (250g\9 oz) (1 cup),
washedandchopped
4 spring onions, washed and coarsely
chopped
1 medium onion (1/4 cup), roughly
chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed with a pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon dried mint
2tablespoonsvinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves
1 cup coarsely chopped parsley
1 cup small purslane leaves
1/2teaspoongroundsumac
1/2 cup coarsely chopped sweet green
pepper
1 teaspoon salt
8 crisp cos (2 cups) lettuce leaves, torn
into bite size pieces

Added after 14 minutes:

Parsley Salad
Al Tabbouleh Allbnaniya
N¹éD°GÈÜC NÜÅGKÜC
Tabbouleh Libanaise
The most famous Lebanese salad,
made of: parsley, tomato, mint
and burghul. 5
1/4 cup burghul, fine cracked wheat
2 cups finely chopped parsley
1/2 kg (16 oz) firm red tomatoes,
washed and finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
leaves
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt (as desired)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
a dash of all spice (as desired)

Sorry no pics are coming up,proberly not doing this right,lol,if anyone wants a copy of cd let me know as there is loads and loads on it and too many to put on here lol.

Parsley Salad
Al Tabbouleh Allbnaniya
N¹éD°GÈÜC NÜÅGKÜC
Tabbouleh Libanaise
The most famous Lebanese salad,
made of: parsley, tomato, mint
and burghul. 5
1/4 cup burghul, fine cracked wheat
2 cups finely chopped parsley
1/2 kg (16 oz) firm red tomatoes,
washed and finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
leaves
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt (as desired)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
a dash of all spice (as desired)

Sorry no pics are coming up,proberly not doing this right,lol,if anyone wants a copy of cd let me know as there is loads and loads on it and too many to put on here lol.

Added after 7 minutes:

Spinach Pies
Fatayer Bil Sabanikh
( [DéDÍhçC ) ^éDGiÜDF dõDyÔ
Triangles Aux

5 cups all purpose (plain) flour
1 tbls sugar
1 tbls salt
1 ½ cups of water
¾ cup vegetable oil
1½ kg (48 oz) fresh spinach
½ cup lemon juice
3 large onions, finely chopped
1 tspn salt
1 pinch of ground black pepper
2 tbls ground sumac (as desired)
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 tbls pomegranate thickened juice (as
desired)

Prepare dough. Leave aside
and cover for an hour to rise.
Make sure dough doubles in
volume.
Filling: Remove roots and yellow
leaves from spinach. Chop finely
then wash well and drain, rub
with ½ tspn salt. Drain spinach
again with your hands to dry.
Mash the onions with remaining
salt. Add pepper and sumac.
Add spinach to onion, then mix
in oil and pomegranate. Put
aside.
Roll out dough using a rolling
pin till dough is as thin as
possible (5 mm). Invert a tea cup
on dough and press to have
equal circles.
Place a tbls of spinach filling on
each piece.
Bring up sides at 3 points to
form a triangular shape.
Press edges firmly with
fingertips to seal completely (put
flour on finger tips tohelp seal).
Place pies on oiled baking sheets. Bake in a
moderately hot oven (200° C) for 30 minutes.
Note: You can substitute spinach with unchopped
purslane leaves.
Spinach Pies

Saltnpepper
15-08-2011, 22:12
Ooh, spinach pies! I used to work in Compostela Beach & the Spar there used to sell spinach pastry triangles, they were addictive! That was a few years ago now, but happy memories of those! Thanks for all the recipes Ali!

ali marshall
15-08-2011, 22:44
No problem,the problem is the cd shows the picture on one page,then the ingrediants,then method on other,like i said if anyone wants a copy let me know,there is many on the cd,salads proberly 10 of,soups,starters,dips,main meals,and i think desserts,just hard to copy on here,if you want a copy just pm me.

Saltnpepper
16-08-2011, 17:33
Popped into Mercadona Las Chafiras today & saw they had hummous on its own in a tub 1.45€ plus some hummous with toasted bread bits for just over a euro, but that was all they seemed to have. Chiller cabinet right at the back, near the delicious chilled bbq ribs, on the top shelf : ))