PDA

View Full Version : Internet slow to open. Can anyone give us advice?

coxan56
11-08-2011, 10:23
Hi My hubbies laptop is taking along time to open internet. I think he has to many programs that all start up when he starts up.

I know there is away of closing some but for the life of me I cant remember how to do it

Any help appreciated

Ann xx

admin
11-08-2011, 10:53
Try Soluto (http://www.soluto.com/) or Revo Uninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html).

The former will analyse your startup and the latter you can use to uninstall programs, removing all traces so you don't have problems in the future.

Vortex Wake
11-08-2011, 11:53
And remember to 'shut down' instead of continually using 'hibernate' or 'Sleep'

Programs like CCleaner that are correctly setup, work well in removing files that are not longer needed, and removing redundant start up files (e.g. old printer configs etc).

eggletonjo
12-08-2011, 09:21
Your problems could also be caused by other people stealing your internet. Our internet was supposed to be secure with access only by a password but in the last few days we have found 10 unauthorized users. Now we have blocked them our internet is much much quicker

dede
12-08-2011, 09:26
Your problems could also be caused by other people stealing your internet. Our internet was supposed to be secure with access only by a password but in the last few days we have found 10 unauthorized users. Now we have blocked them our internet is much much quicker

And how did you find this out please?

Vortex Wake
12-08-2011, 10:03
Go into your router setup and look at the log file.
You will need router password/name to do this.

eggletonjo
12-08-2011, 10:18
i have sent a pm with details of how to check and block unwanted users

karinagal
12-08-2011, 14:49

Can I have the details too please?

chifleta
12-08-2011, 15:08

copy and paste to me too please :-D gracias

julia44
13-08-2011, 06:00
Hi eggletonjo
Could I have the details as well please, my internet is fine in the morning until about 7.30am after that it gets slower and slower by lunchtime for example if you click on a news item to read you can make a coffee and drink it while you are waiting for the page to change

Vortex Wake
13-08-2011, 07:24
Hi eggletonjo
Could I have the details as well please, my internet is fine in the morning until about 7.30am after that it gets slower and slower by lunchtime for example if you click on a news item to read you can make a coffee and drink it while you are waiting for the page to change

If you are using a wifi router, try placing the laptop or PC directly besides the router (or use the Ethernet cable connection). It is not uncommon for other routers or signals to interfere with indirectly or directly.

My microwave oven when in use causes slow internet.

julia44
13-08-2011, 08:15
I have a wifi router which is above the computer (24cm) so I have moved it next to the computer so I will see if it cures the problem as it is still a bit early because lunchtime is the worst. I only have the one router and the nearest house is about 100m away, however about a year ago the lady in the chemist got me to sign a petition against a mast going up in the village perhaps that has something to do with it.