PDA

View Full Version : A review of our latest visit to the Golf del Sur, Tenerife

mbooth11
11-08-2011, 11:58
Just got back after what must be our 20th trip to Golf del Sur and thought I must mention the restaurants where we visited multiple times with exemplary sevice and food
Rendezvous at the Winter Gardens
Cafe Med at Royal Tenerife Country Club
Pizzeria Golf Park - Ask for Lorenzo
Real star was Placeres in Los Abrigos
Hope this helps
Mark

sunspot
11-09-2011, 21:48
Thanks for that information Mark, its always good to hear when people have found good places to eat,nothing better than recommendations from diners who have actually dined in some of the restaurants

FerretFodder
21-02-2014, 18:08
We will be visiting that area in April this year and find it encouraging that The Rendezvous and Cafe Med consistently get mentioned as good quality places to eat.

I must say that having contacted Cafe Med about being able to cater for a coeliac (gluten free) diet, they have been very helpful and positive in advance. I look forward to both our stay and being able to provide a glowing report upon our return.

If we venture to Los Abrigos I will keep an eye open for Placeres.

lynnangela
21-02-2014, 18:36
Café Med is a little gem, but not so easy to find or get to as it is on a complex where parking is difficult as all spaces are allocated. However, at the very start of the one way system around GDS there is a left turn into the Golf club house, and there is free parking in there. Café med is then up the hill behind this carpark. Walk out following the road around, cross over on the zebra crossing and to the right of the bus stop is the slope up to Royal Tenerife Country Club. Café Med is just the other side of the entrace next to Reception.

It speaks volumes about this place that you really need to book to get a table easily, especially given that is a local 'secret' with no passing trade. Dave and his wife Lesley are fabulous hosts and very lovely friendly people (as are all the staff, say hola to Stella!) and the food is wonderful.

FerretFodder
21-02-2014, 20:05
Café Med is a little gem, but not so easy to find or get to as it is on a complex where parking is difficult as all spaces are allocated. However, at the very start of the one way system around GDS there is a left turn into the Golf club house, and there is free parking in there. Café med is then up the hill behind this carpark. Walk out following the road around, cross over on the zebra crossing and to the right of the bus stop is the slope up to Royal Tenerife Country Club. Café Med is just the other side of the entrace next to Reception.

It speaks volumes about this place that you really need to book to get a table easily, especially given that is a local 'secret' with no passing trade. Dave and his wife Lesley are fabulous hosts and very lovely friendly people (as are all the staff, say hola to Stella!) and the food is wonderful.
Maybe I should have mentioned we're staying at the RTCC itself! :)
Previously, we have been at Sunningdale Village - sadly, Zachary's isn't as good as it once was, but we have enjoyed several very good meals at The Rendezvous in the Winter Gardens since discovering it...or more like it discovered us!
I recall that the four of us decided to go 'off piste' one evening (to avoid some dire 'entertainment' on-site) and strolled down toward the Winter Gardens, which always looked so deserted to us at Easter, when we were suddenly accosted by a personable young lady who encouraged us to accompany her to what turned out to be The Rendezvous. For some reason, rather than politely shrugging her off, we meekly followed her. Worse still, she proceeded to guide us into the rear of the premises - which was mighty suspicious for a moment or two! Were we being lured into a drugs den? Would we all be sold into white slavery? But before we could pull ourselves together and head for the hills we were in the main restaurant area and never looked back. :) I think we have dined there at least once every time we have been back to the GDS. :yum:

Mags
22-02-2014, 14:53
Next time you must try Electra in San Blas - it is definitely the best restaurant I have been to on the Golf.

karinagal
22-02-2014, 16:27
Next time you must try Electra in San Blas - it is definitely the best restaurant I have been to on the Golf.

Where is Electra and what kind of food does it serve?

tonyda
22-02-2014, 20:54
Electra is on the main road side of san blas just up from the hyperdino,unsure of what type of food they serve.

JaBBa
22-02-2014, 21:22

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g672806-d1752461-r122408923-Electra-Golf_del_Sur_Tenerife_Canary_Islands.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g672806-d1752461-Reviews-Electra-Golf_del_Sur_Tenerife_Canary_Islands.html#REVIEWS

karinagal
22-02-2014, 22:33
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g672806-d1752461-r122408923-Electra-Golf_del_Sur_Tenerife_Canary_Islands.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g672806-d1752461-Reviews-Electra-Golf_del_Sur_Tenerife_Canary_Islands.html#REVIEWS

Whoops.. Seems a bit hit and miss...!

seanocelt
23-02-2014, 02:32
Karina, what´s the best places in your opinion out there? Im staying next weekend, i work every Thurs in San Blas, 2 new gigs coming soon so want to get to know area better.

karinagal
23-02-2014, 09:54
TBH Sean, I've found most of the ones that I've visited to be great one night and not so good another.. The only one I've always liked was the Chinese at the top (The Great Wall?). I'm not a fan of Indian food so can't rate those at all!

I've had lovely meals in both La Opera and also Plaza Breeze but occasionally had nights were the service was less than inspiring. But there are a load of other restaurant there, especially in the top square, that we haven't tried yet so I'm always on the lookout for something new! I arrive on Friday evening - who knows, I might see you up there?

Maybe Lucky will be along with some recommendations - isn't Lower GDS his stomping ground? :D

Tom & Sharon
23-02-2014, 21:18
Best Chinese - Great Wall, Top Square, San Blas.
Best Indian - Haweli, middle square, San Blas.
Best Italian - Golf Park Pizzeria, under Golf Park apartments.
Best Tapas - Tapas de Oro, back road, San Blas.
Best International/English - Arcadia or Opera, top/middle square San Blas.
Best bar - Emerald Lounge/Scruffy Macs, top/middle square, San Blas.
Best traditional pub - Wild Geese, opposite apartamentos Aguamarina.

A bit further afield, I love Scarpetta at Los Abrigos, however if you suffer from a lack of sense of humour, maybe best to avoid it. Read the reviews on Tripadvisor first.

In the general area, the bar on the front at El Nautico is fab for views and location. Also restaurante Maria inside is a beautiful location.

FerretFodder
24-02-2014, 13:20
The following link may also be of use to visitors to the GDS...

http://www.lasadelfasowners.com/guide.htm

The author has clearly 'suffered' on our behalf. :lol: Be sure to drop him a line and thank him if you use his guide. I certainly don't think we'll do it justice in 7 days! :)

kathml
24-02-2014, 20:50
Think scarpettas in Los abrigos is brilliant for both food and humour

Ijacko
24-02-2014, 20:56
That lovely lady is Maria their PR. She still works there and is such a nice lady.

Mags
25-02-2014, 18:34

Is is in the Commercial Centre San Blas, on the front where cars park and the taxis wait. About mid way between Friends Bar and Netto's.