PDA

View Full Version : Tiles in bathroom falling off! Does my insurance cover fixing them?

Hey Jude
14-08-2011, 13:16
HELP! Just been told that the bathroom tiles on the wall behind the tub look as if they have slipped down and are bulging out. Ready to drop into the bathtub!!!!! I know it`s hot just now but the complex here is only 7 years old and there is no damp from next door. Does anyone know if this is covered by insurance (contents) Please help.

TIS
14-08-2011, 15:33
It is very unlikely to be covered by your contents insurance policy, as the tiles are obviously part of the building, but ultimately will depend on the cause, if this can be identified. If it is down to poor construction then you should have a claim under the 10 year guarantee that you should have got with the building/complex, but we have had it before that the company providing the 10 year guarantee AND the builder had bought gone bust, so the client had no claim.

If the cause is due to a problem from your neighbours apt, then you will be covered under their Public Liability insurance. Have a chat with the neighbour to see if they even have insurance.

Best of luck.

Hey Jude
14-08-2011, 15:42
Thanks anyway. Can wait to retile when we arrive in November. Just what we need .

Steve-Tap
14-08-2011, 17:04
if you need a hand or want someone to doit pm me

all the best steve

atlantico
14-08-2011, 17:32
If you think about it, 'bulging' happens when the tiles have expanded and have nowhere else to go except outwards. Damp will cause tiles to fall off in large sections, but usually with a bit of 'help'. Damp will also result in a hollow sound when tiles are tapped, this is because the adhesive is no longer adhering to the wall. Sometimes expansion damage is the result of grout joints being too small or the tiles being fixed in cold temperatures and then subject to high heat temperatures of summer. The grout will take up a fair bit of expansion, thats why joints sometimes fall out but if there's no more room to expand the tiles will bulge or crack. On very large sections of tiling (wall and floor) its usual to incorporate expansion joints, but most bathrooms are not usually that large. When you came to repair, you'll find that when you've removed the bulging tiles there's not enough space to re-fix them or to insert new tiles, as the surrounding ones have moved into their space . You may have to retile the whole wall/panel/section, and since tiles go out of production very quickly, that may mean new tiles throughout !

9PLUS
14-08-2011, 17:52
^ Thats correct

Balcony
14-08-2011, 18:15
We had a similar problem some time ago, caused by the lack of space between tiles and the lack of adhesive on the tile - generally one-spot of adhesive - the quicker way to tile. LOL

marbro8
14-08-2011, 20:11
If you think about it, 'bulging' happens when the tiles have expanded and have nowhere else to go except outwards. Damp will cause tiles to fall off in large sections, but usually with a bit of 'help'. Damp will also result in a hollow sound when tiles are tapped, this is because the adhesive is no longer adhering to the wall. Sometimes expansion damage is the result of grout joints being too small or the tiles being fixed in cold temperatures and then subject to high heat temperatures of summer. The grout will take up a fair bit of expansion, thats why joints sometimes fall out but if there's no more room to expand the tiles will bulge or crack. On very large sections of tiling (wall and floor) its usual to incorporate expansion joints, but most bathrooms are not usually that large. When you came to repair, you'll find that when you've removed the bulging tiles there's not enough space to re-fix them or to insert new tiles, as the surrounding ones have moved into their space . You may have to retile the whole wall/panel/section, and since tiles go out of production very quickly, that may mean new tiles throughout !very good analogy that mate as an ex plumber myself i would be proud of that:wink2:

atlantico
14-08-2011, 20:46
Thats why they call it a 'bulge' in the pants - a bit of heat and it expands, and has nowhere else to go, but outwards !

very good analogy that mate as an ex plumber myself i would be proud of that

My degree in Building Management and CIOB (http://www.ciob.org.uk/)certificates help !

marbro8
14-08-2011, 20:57
Thats why they call it a 'bulge' in the pants - a bit of heat and it expands, and has nowhere else to go, but outwards !

My degree in Building Management and CIOB (http://www.ciob.org.uk/)certificates help ! oh rite that explains it then lol, here's me thinking you are giving advice as a layman and your a bloody professor:wink2: