PDA

View Full Version : Can you drive in Tenerife if your car insurance has elapsed?

Pets@Home
15-08-2011, 11:49
Please can any one tell me if u can drive when yr Car Insurance has elapsed.
I thought it was the 16th August its actually 13th August.
Is there a grace period of a few days and if so how many.
Cant ring Insurance Company for cover note because its a Bank Holiday

Thanks

Goforgold
15-08-2011, 12:01
Definitely not in the UK and wouldn't think so in Tenerife.

Stoney
15-08-2011, 12:24
Definite no anywhere in the world, insurance companies look for every get out clause they can get, so no chance of them giving you cover for 3 days for nothing.

Pets@Home
15-08-2011, 12:30
Definite no anywhere in the world, insurance companies look for every get out clause they can get, so no chance of them giving you cover for 3 days for nothing.

No what I mean is if I get stopped will my insurance for last year up to the 13th August cover me. Thats what I want to find out. Will I be driving with no insurance or is there some law where u are covered say for 5 days extra, its something I really do not know ...........

princessmonika
15-08-2011, 12:38
no you are not insured for any days if you have an accident they will not pay

fonica
15-08-2011, 12:38
Unless your car insurance is paid out of your bank then you cannot drive your car after the 13th August.If it is paid by direct debit from your bank, then you are covered even if you haven't got the certificate.The police can check on their computer if you have a valid insurance so you don't need to have the document with you in the car but it means that they can take your car off you if you are stopped without insurance.Not worth the risk.

imablue
15-08-2011, 12:40
i would think that your insurance ceased midnight 13th august....
take it as you are now not insured.. or rather the car is not insured.....
if you are over 25 years of age you should be able to drive say a friends car providing they have insurance on that said vehicle ....

Nic
15-08-2011, 14:32
I'm not sure if all the companies are the same but we're with Direct Seguros (not Linea Directa) and i didn't have the money in the bank to pay for my insurance. I phoned the company to ask them if I was still insured while payment of the bill was sorted and they told me I had a months grace so as long as I paid within the month i was still insured. The only person that can tell you though is your insurer, why not give them a call to ask?

timmylish
15-08-2011, 15:43
Absolutely illegal to drive here with a vehicle where the insurance has expired. Forget about any damage to your car, think of the child stepping out onto the road?

Goforgold
15-08-2011, 15:49
No what I mean is if I get stopped will my insurance for last year up to the 13th August cover me. Thats what I want to find out. Will I be driving with no insurance or is there some law where u are covered say for 5 days extra, its something I really do not know ...........

Sorry, as everyone has posted - your cover will stop on the dot of the date and time specified on your Certificate. No grace. You may be thinking of car tax in the UK, people used to talk about so many day's grace, but even in that case people could be prosecuted if the police decided.

atlantico
15-08-2011, 16:15
what happens a lot in Tenerife is that the insurance company automatically re-insure you and take the payment via direct debit if thats how you paid in the first instance. This is usually only with Spanish brokers and insurers though, most of the UK brokers here will act as they do in UK, send a reminder only and its up to you to re-insure. So if you paid a Spanish company via bank transfer or DD, check your bank statement, as you may well have been re-insured . . . . . at an EXCESSIVE premium to ! If so, you have 21 days DD guarantee to cancel it.

Pets@Home
15-08-2011, 17:05
thanks everyone .........