PDA

View Full Version : What are your obligations after selling a car privately in Tenerife?

Saltnpepper
15-08-2011, 15:36
Does anyone know the legalities of being liable for anything happening to a car after you've sold it privately? ie. if you sell a car to someone & the brakes fail or something else happens a month later, can that buyer come back to you & complain, demand his money back or whatever? If you (as previous owner) is responsible for something like that, how long does that responsibility last? Probably not put this very well, but hope you get my drift ...

timmylish
15-08-2011, 15:58
If the car was sold on as seen basis, most cars here are sold that way privately between parties, I can see nothing other than any moral obligations. In such a case of brakes needing repaired, how does the seller know what the purchaser has done to the car after one month! One day, then maybe.

Saltnpepper
15-08-2011, 16:28
Thanks, I would agree with you, however this is Tenerife so who knows! Just want to be sure before we put our car up for sale ...

timmylish
15-08-2011, 16:37
Thanks, I would agree with you, however this is Tenerife so who knows! Just want to be sure before we put our car up for sale ...

Ah! But are you now saying that you are aware that something is wrong. In that event, I for one would be very unhappy! On the other hand if nothing is obvious to you then its sold as seen and take the purchaser for a run or, if you wish,, let them drive it, with you or someone on your behalf sitting in. Never, ever let someone take it without you. End up crashing it and no insurance (except that here in Spain its the car which is insured not the driver) cover, under age, disqualified etc etc.

Saltnpepper
15-08-2011, 16:46
Oh yeah, the car's not perfect & we would be perfectly honest with whoever looks at it, we know we're not going to get much for it anyway. But someone who likes tinkering with cars could be interested, or even just use it for parts ...

Stoney
15-08-2011, 17:24
Easiest way is to be honest in the advert. Sell it as sold as seen, then people will realise that it could need attention now or very soon after purchase. This way you have been upfront and honest and therefore you have no responsibility to pay for any repairs.

Saltnpepper
15-08-2011, 17:39
Absolutely, that's what we plan to do!

Ashro Autos
15-08-2011, 17:39
Most private buyers will ask a mechanic or someone who knows a bit about cars to have a look anyway.Just make sure the car is changed from your name before you let them drive off with it.What car is it anyway as we (http://ashroautos.com) might be interested in it for parts.

Saltnpepper
15-08-2011, 17:48
It's a 1995 or 1996 1.4 Renault Express! Done 200,000+ kms, paintwork's pretty grim & it's jumping out of gear a bit going up hills - but it's got a fantastic roof rack on it - lol!!

casabonny
16-08-2011, 14:30
AS a private individual selling a car you have no legal obligations for the car once sold( regardless of what agreement has been made sold as seen etc)It is only registered garages/ dealers who are legally obliged to provide any guarantee/ warranty.
In reality it would be very sad if you bought a car privately and then drove doen the road and the brakes failed but the seller cannot and would not be held legally responsible for that.
The most importatant thing is to ensure that the car is transfered out of your name and as you state that you are going to point out its pitfalls to prospective buyers i dont think you will have a problem, having said that this is Tenerife and anything can( and often does) happen.
Good luck