PDA

View Full Version : How do I change the format of downloaded music from FLAC to WMA or CDA?

timmylish
16-08-2011, 00:21
I,m convinced I made this thread/posting earlier this evening but I,ll try again.
All I want is for someone to advise me of a suitable free programme which enables me change the format of the music I have d/l to my HDD. Reason being is that in its current format when I burn a disc my car,s radio/cd player cannot read FLAC and only seams to read WMA or cda>
Can anyone suggest a suitable programme for me to use to change the contents of my HDD from one to the other. Please halp 'cause I spent long hours last night installing then un-installing a variety of programmes which either has mislead me into believing it could do it free or you would need a BA in physics to understand.
If my previous posting was deleted could someone tell me why?
Meantime, thanks.

Ed3229
16-08-2011, 07:31
I,m convinced I made this thread/posting earlier this evening but I,ll try again.
All I want is for someone to advise me of a suitable free programme which enables me change the format of the music I have d/l to my HDD. Reason being is that in its current format when I burn a disc my car,s radio/cd player cannot read FLAC and only seams to read WMA or cda>
Can anyone suggest a suitable programme for me to use to change the contents of my HDD from one to the other. Please halp 'cause I spent long hours last night installing then un-installing a variety of programmes which either has mislead me into believing it could do it free or you would need a BA in physics to understand.
If my previous posting was deleted could someone tell me why?
Meantime, thanks.

http://xrecode.com/

Try this.....

timmylish
16-08-2011, 12:49
Tried to register but no good. Will try again but if anyone else knows of a simple tool to do this I,d be very happy!

TOTO 99
16-08-2011, 13:06
Is this page any help Timmy?

http://forums.techguy.org/multimedia/337543-how-do-i-convert-flac.html

BobMac
16-08-2011, 15:34
Try this utility

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

timmylish
16-08-2011, 15:41
Guys. Many thanks. I,m gonna try all of these later this evening. Surely one of these programmes will do what i want. If not, well, I,ll just give in!

COL NIL SATIS
18-08-2011, 00:33
the one i use and its absolutely fantastic is Freemake video converter
Freemake Video Converter is a free video converter that lets you convert between different video formats, rip DVD, convert to iPod, iPhone, iPad, PSP, burn DVD, create photo slideshows and music visualizations, cut, join, rotate and upload videos, photos, music to YouTube and much much more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kd8ZQGUKfo

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

change all formats to either avi,mp4,wmv,3gp,dvd,mp3,you tube

slodgedad
18-08-2011, 00:37
the one i use and its absolutely fantastic is Freemake video converter
Freemake Video Converter is a free video converter that lets you convert between different video formats, rip DVD, convert to iPod, iPhone, iPad, PSP, burn DVD, create photo slideshows and music visualizations, cut, join, rotate and upload videos, photos, music to YouTube and much much more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kd8ZQGUKfo

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

change all formats to either avi,mp4,wmv,3gp,dvd,mp3,you tube

As usual El Colonel has the answer.

Sod 'Ask Jeeves', it should be 'Ask El Colonel'.....:bowdown:

timmylish
18-08-2011, 00:44
CNS. Many thanks for your intervention!
I shall try this programme when I get some new CD,s in the morning (I,ve knackered all the ones we had!!!!!!). I do presume that it is not just for Video/DVD.

Added after 2 minutes:

I shall try this programme when I get some new CD,s in the morning (I,ve knackered all the ones we had!!!!!!). I do presume that it is not just for Video/DVD.
OH no! It seems to only apply to Video?

COL NIL SATIS
18-08-2011, 01:13

Added after 2 minutes:

OH no! It seems to only apply to Video?

No no no its not only Video timmy it applies to all Audio too ,rip them to whatever format you want and all free ,if you need further advice feel free to PM me bud ,rip audio/Video to whatever file you want be it wmv,wma,mp3,mp4, the whole lot ,freemake will rip it ...guaranteed....if you cant suss it timmy PM me ....

the music you say you have downloaded is that music downloaded now to your pc/laptop ?? if so mate freemake will convert that to wma for sure

Added after 4 minutes:

easier solution Timmy grab the mp3s off the internet free for whatever music you want ,then rip them on freemake to wma for your radio ,job done

timmylish
18-08-2011, 01:34
Right. Just to explain. I d/l an album(are they still called that?) onto my HDD which were split onto two batches of 8 and 13 tracks. So being the intelligent person I am I tried them out and the tracks all played perfectly normally. I then proceeded to burn them onto a CD but lo and behold the car,s stereo cannot read it. So I,ve tried 5/6 different ways and still no success. btw. Stereo works fine with others discs created 2 years ago so no probs. there.
So, sir. I shall try this out manana and report back. Many thanks.

COL NIL SATIS
18-08-2011, 01:59
Right. Just to explain. I d/l an album(are they still called that?) onto my HDD which were split onto two batches of 8 and 13 tracks. So being the intelligent person I am I tried them out and the tracks all played perfectly normally. I then proceeded to burn them onto a CD but lo and behold the car,s stereo cannot read it. So I,ve tried 5/6 different ways and still no success. btw. Stereo works fine with others discs created 2 years ago so no probs. there.

Ok Timmy ,nice one if you have no luck let me know tomorrow ,PM me

markcuk
18-08-2011, 11:34

Are you using a different brand of cd? my old car stereo would only work with tdk and some other makes.

also try writing the cd at the slowest speed

COL NIL SATIS
18-08-2011, 13:35
Also another site that turns FLAC to WMA etc etc is

http://www.freerip.com/

FreeRIP is an advanced CD to MP3 Converter that comes packed with features. At its core, FreeRIP reads audio from your CDs and allows you to save them to your computer in a variety of digital formats including WMA, MP3, Ogg, Wav, or FLAC audio files (this process is known as CD ripping or CD to MP3 conversion). Converting your CD audio collection to digital audio files is a breeze with FreeRIP: download and install FreeRIP, put your audio CD into your computer's CD drive, run FreeRIP and click on the Rip button.

FreeRIP is also an audio and MP3 converter. It can convert MP3 and other audio files from one format to another. For example FreeRIP can convert audio files from WMA to MP3, or OGG to MP3, FLAC to MP3 or WAV to FLAC and so on.

Once you have your digital audio tracks saved in your preferred format, it's easy to load them to your favorite audio player (e.g. a portable MP3 player such as an Apple iPod™, Creative Zen Player™ or Sony Walkman™). You can also move tracks to an advanced mobile phone, or burn them to a MP3 CD's to listen in your MP3 car stereo, home stereo or Discman™.

FreeRIP supports the high quality, lossless compression named FLAC, which is widely used and supported by audiophiles. If you want to be sure to save all the richest details in your audio tracks, save them in the FLAC format.

FreeRIP is also an advanced MP3 tag editor (supporting ID3 v1 and v2) and includes shortcuts to find track info
(like lyrics or complete title) on the web, with just one click. This makes cataloging your entire collection simple and easy.

FreeRIP comes in two versions, FreeRIP Basic which is totally free, and FreeRIP Pro which offers more features and options.

timmylish
18-08-2011, 14:32
CNS. Again, many thanks. Gonna d/l FreeRIP as well and try both of your suggestions. I am confident that my car player will read one or the other, if not both!

COL NIL SATIS
18-08-2011, 20:12
CNS. Again, many thanks. Gonna d/l FreeRIP as well and try both of your suggestions. I am confident that my car player will read one or the other, if not both!

Good luck Timmy ,hope you get sorted :tiphat:

timmylish
22-08-2011, 19:05
You,ll not believe it but, Windows Media Player did it after muckin' it about for over 2 hours. I can honestly say that I do NOT know how I did it!
Anyway, my purpose in writing is to thank everyone and in particular CNS!

COL NIL SATIS
26-08-2011, 21:50
You,ll not believe it but, Windows Media Player did it after muckin' it about for over 2 hours. I can honestly say that I do NOT know how I did it!
Anyway, my purpose in writing is to thank everyone and in particular CNS!

Superb news Timmy ,glad you got sorted mate !! Now turn that car stereo UP TO THE MAX and enjoy the tunes ...you are :welcome: