PDA

View Full Version : Does Tenerife have any military bases?

mrmotivator
16-08-2011, 15:49
Bit of an odd question I know, but I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to military stuff and just wondered whether Tenerife has a military presence on the Island.

bonitatime
16-08-2011, 16:39
I think there is an army base in La Hoya near Santa Cruz and I think there is some sort of air force presence in Los Rodeos but not so sure about that

mrmotivator
16-08-2011, 16:48
Just had a mooch online and found there's a military history museum of the Canaries in Santa Cruz....think I'll have to pop up and have a nosey. The missus will love me on that day......not.

KirstyJay
16-08-2011, 16:51
I think there is some sort of air force presence in Los Rodeos but not so sure about that

Yes, there is. We took a walk near it during an AMPA excursion and we weren't allowed through it. Had a chat to the guards and had a look through the fence though. :)

universal
16-08-2011, 17:37
If you are going to the Military Museum in Sta. Cruz take photo I.D. or you will not get in.
In addition to Hoya Fria there is a division of Engineers in La Cuesta and an Infantry presence in La Laguna.

kellyman
16-08-2011, 17:39
Just had a mooch online and found there's a military history museum of the Canaries in Santa Cruz....think I'll have to pop up and have a nosey. The missus will love me on that day......not.
I have visited the military museum and it is well worth a visit. There are old guns and vehicles, a comprehensive museum of handguns and rifles and many models and drawings. There are also a couple of helicopters. The staff are very welcoming and my wife and I both enjoyed it.

Added after 2 minutes:

If you are going to the Military Museum in Sta. Cruz take photo I.D. or you will not get in.
In addition to Hoya Fria there is a division of Engineers in La Cuesta and an Infantry presence in La Laguna.
We stumbled upon the place and just walked in. We were not asked for ID or to sign in.

mrmotivator
16-08-2011, 19:40
We stumbled upon the place and just walked in. We were not asked for ID or to sign in.

Cheers mate, I did think it was an odd request for photo ID to visit a museum.