PDA

View Full Version : What are the things that you just can't live without in Tenerife?

tracey_in_tenerife
16-08-2011, 21:20
I ALWAYS bring with me smoked thick bacon and walls sausages when im coming over to stay at my house in Tenerife.
Im moving over in 8 days and will be taking a good stock with me, ive also asked anybody coming to visit me MUST come visit bringing me these gifts :yum:

What cant you live without?

Bazz
16-08-2011, 21:24
Seriously Strong Cheddar cheese and Robertson's marmalade. :D

slodgedad
16-08-2011, 21:26
The only thing that I can't live without, even after all this time, is English bread.

I know the fresh Spanish bread (not the packaged stuff) is nice but I love English sliced bread..

finca18jrl
16-08-2011, 21:29
Olive and tomato Sacla sauce and I agree with Bazz; seriously strong cheddar!

Suej
16-08-2011, 21:29
The only thing that I can't live without, even after all this time, is English bread.

I know the fresh Spanish bread (not the packaged stuff) is nice but I love English sliced bread..

SNAP Slodge! I persevered when I came here 7 years ago to eat Spanish white sliced bread, but itīs an awful airy fairy texture and a sweet taste! YUK! I have to buy my medium white sliced loaf from Iceland how ever much it costs! :D

Added after 2 minutes:

Olive and tomato Sacla sauce and I agree with Bazz; seriously strong cheddar!

I thought Sacla sauces were sold in Iceland and the strong cheddar???:yum:

tracey_in_tenerife
16-08-2011, 21:38
i love the multi cereal bread what is sold in Mercadona, mmmm chopped tomatoes on top, sprinkled with cheese and mixed herbs and then lightly grilled.
Me feeling a bit peckish now , all this talk of food :yum:

Malteser Monkey
16-08-2011, 21:39
OH he has the money:D and.........

the key to the dungeon what were you thinking:cheeky:

slodgedad
16-08-2011, 22:15
i love the multi cereal bread what is sold in Mercadona, mmmm chopped tomatoes on top, sprinkled with cheese and mixed herbs and then lightly grilled.

I agree there are some nice breads to be bought here, but I still prefer my Warburtons or Roberts even after 17 years...:)

christa
17-08-2011, 00:33
Two requirements that visitors have to include in their baggage.

1. Yorkshire Gold T-bags
2. Lancashire Crumbly Cheese - preferable from Bury market!

slodgedad
17-08-2011, 00:39

1. Yorkshire Gold T-bags

I used to say the about cheese and tea bags but you can buy 'em here now...Not much dearer than the UK

longtallalice
17-08-2011, 00:41
hi arrived yesterday for good and went to iceland and marmite is ridiculously expensive - but love it - good job i packed a few jars in container due to arrive soon :)

christa
17-08-2011, 00:42
Lucky you. Can't get either of these products here on Gran Canaria!

We're not just talking any old T bags or cheese!!!

sundownersvince
17-08-2011, 01:03
I always bring mature cheddar and Tbags.

caroletenerife
17-08-2011, 02:15
Aussie Miracle Conditioner, probably could buy it in Iceland but would need a small mortgage. I know someone who asks vistors to bring a turnip!!! I once bought someone an Arbroath Smokie...never again, the word stink, doesnt come close x

onelegnofeet
17-08-2011, 08:01
What cant you live without?

I would have to say the Wifey ,who else could boost Tenerifes enconomey so quick ,and so easily, with all the clothes shopping !!!

Zara
17-08-2011, 08:49
hi arrived yesterday for good and went to iceland and marmite is ridiculously expensive - but love it - good job i packed a few jars in container due to arrive soon :)

LTAlice Mercadona sell Vegimite which IMO tastes the same, just not quite so thick so close your eyes when eating!

onelegnofeet
17-08-2011, 08:53
so close your eyes when eating!

Or in my case my mouth .....Yuk Yuk and thrice Yuk !!!

Zara
17-08-2011, 09:08
Or in my case my mouth .....Yuk Yuk and thrice Yuk !!!

Oh god yes donīt you just hate it when people eat with their mouths open - disgusting.

Tom & Sharon
17-08-2011, 09:25
The Trafford Centre....................

Bazz
17-08-2011, 09:29
I thought Sacla sauces were sold in Iceland and the strong cheddar???:yum:

It must be this one, made in Glasgow:
http://www.mclelland.co.uk/defaultpage121c1.aspx?pageID=113
Tried all the cheddar cheeses but this one is the best! :yum:

Medman
17-08-2011, 09:43
It must be this one, made in Glasgow:
http://www.mclelland.co.uk/defaultpage121c1.aspx?pageID=113
Tried all the cheddar cheeses but this one is the best! :yum:

You must try their Seriously Strong spreadables... chili or smokey -- sca-rummy :scotland:

KirstyJay
17-08-2011, 10:21
British Tea and Cheddar... both of which they sell in Mercadona :D

Oh... and my family, of course!!!!

sleepy
17-08-2011, 10:44
Good pubs and real beer.

primrose
17-08-2011, 10:46

1. Yorkshire Gold T-bags

Two of my favorite things Lancashire Cheese and Bury Market,also Morrisons raisin cakes and Jersey Royal Potatoes.

Suej
17-08-2011, 10:59

I love the uncut fresh bakerīs bread here too and the cereal bread in Mercadona is lovely! but for toast or toasty sandwich only English white sliced does the job, very expensive I could buy 3 loaves in Tesco for the price of one here, but blow the expense I have to have it!:yum:

Has to be PG tips! friend is bringing some over next week 7 quid for x 480 bags! Bargain!

Malteser Monkey
17-08-2011, 11:15
Has to be PG tips! friend is bringing some over next week 7 quid for x 480 bags! Bargain!

Sue ask her to bring you some Yorkshire tea - honestly has to be the best cuppa ever. (and that's from a southerner!) I'll bring you some when we come over

anegib
17-08-2011, 11:15
If I go back to UK or friends coming here, bring loads of Tea Bags and British sausages and bacon.

onelegnofeet
17-08-2011, 11:54

WOW things are hard ..........how much are yer kids in Mercadonnas ???lol

Suej
17-08-2011, 11:54
Sue ask her to bring you some Yorkshire tea - honestly has to be the best cuppa ever. (and that's from a southerner!) I'll bring you some when we come over

I quite like Yorkshire Tea MM! OH doesnīt says the taste is too strong! being as he must have 10 cups a day he wins on votes! Doh!:argue:

Bazz
17-08-2011, 12:14
You must try their Seriously Strong spreadables... chili or smokey -- sca-rummy :scotland:

Oh alright then! Have tried the plain one but not the chilli or smokey. :D :yum:

cainaries
17-08-2011, 12:18
We'll be asking our next visitors to bring Colman's English mustard. What I find frustrating is that a shop will carry a line for a while, sell out, and never re-order. Two or three summers ago the San Martin suddenly got in McVitie's Ginger Biscuits. Word got round and the shelves were emptied. About 9 months later another batch appeared, same thing happened. Haven't seen them since. Then there was HP Fruity. Same thing. Latest was Colman's English mustard. As for horseradish sauce .... don't dare to mention it. The secret hoard is hidden in my kitchen.

Malteser Monkey
17-08-2011, 12:37
Ginger biscuits with horseradish & HP fruity hmmmm are you pregnant C ?

Mornings !

cainaries
17-08-2011, 12:40
Ginger biscuits with horseradish & HP fruity hmmmm are you pregnant C ?

Mornings !
I bet that would all go really well with strong cheddar cheese and cup of Yorkshire tea! We've just had toasted bacon sarnies so I can't think why I'm still hungry. We like the bacon here but we like streaky bacon which is easy to come by ... the Spanish word is ... 'bacon'!

primrose
17-08-2011, 12:45
Would love a real Banana not a Canarian one.

Malteser Monkey
17-08-2011, 12:48
I bet that would all go really well with strong cheddar cheese and cup of Yorkshire tea! We've just had toasted bacon sarnies so I can't think why I'm still hungry. We like the bacon here but we like streaky bacon which is easy to come by ... the Spanish word is ... 'bacon'!

We had bacon and egg sarnies for brunch. Not long up !

I preferred the streaky bacon over there - was really tasty C

Oooooo er missus

cainaries
17-08-2011, 12:48
and, indeed, real new potatoes ... as someone else mentioned .. Jersey royals. None of friends in the UK can believe that we don't get very nice new potatoes.

Malteser Monkey
17-08-2011, 12:51
and, indeed, real new potatoes ... as someone else mentioned .. Jersey royals. None of friends in the UK can believe that we don't get very nice new potatoes.

Yup there's more old wrinklies over there - don't tell max I said that :rofl:

Suej
17-08-2011, 13:04
We had bacon and egg sarnies for brunch. Not long up !

I preferred the streaky bacon over there - was really tasty C

I like the steaky bacon here too, done a little crispy! Why are we (me) always talking about food?:yum:

[QUOTE=Malteser Monkey;81777]Yup there's more old wrinklies over there - don't tell max I said that :rofl:

Max wonīt mind! although the skins are a little tough they are lovely on the inside!;)

primrose
17-08-2011, 13:13

I longed for new Potatoes so much I grew my own on my balcony,long wait but so good, grew them in a large bucket they use for concrete,got a good crop from 6 potatoes, just picked them as I needed them.:yum:

Malteser Monkey
17-08-2011, 13:23
I like the steaky bacon here too, done a little crispy! Why are we (me) always talking about food?:yum:

Max wonīt mind! although the skins are a little tough they are lovely on the inside!;)

Ahhhh how nice !

"Why are we always talking about food?" - dunno hun - wine, food, uhum:jumping: - what else is there to talk about ? the weather ?

Suej
17-08-2011, 13:58

The canarian bananas are lovely primrose. Buy the small ones that look almost ripe they are gorgeous and sweet!:yum:

hackney58
17-08-2011, 16:31
For me it's Branson pickle smoked bacon and also tinned John West salmon.