PDA

View Full Version : I need some help setting up a web page

footiefan
16-08-2011, 21:56
greeting`s all. any chance somebody could help me set up a web page please?

TIS
16-08-2011, 23:04
It would help if you indicated the level of help required, from a cheeky (I've done nothing and know nothing about web development) to just specific technical queries about a coding language issue or feature of a WYSIWYG web building software package. There are pleanty of FREE web design/builder packages available, but unless you are prepared to roll up your sleeves and do some work you'll have to pay somebody - unless the work is for a charity of some kind.
Try webs.com - FREE and cool looking style sheets, but you have to tolerate the pop up ads - see this as one of our examples of a free web site that has most features and is easy to maintain. http://safetlight.webs.com/

slodgedad
16-08-2011, 23:25

There are a lot of freebies on the net, as mine is, which are OK for a personal, localized, bit of info which will never be taken seriously by buyers etc.

Easy to set up and you have the opportunity of buying your own domain name.

If it's a professional business web page you want then why not PM Forum mod Kirsty Jay?

You won't do better

h0u53music
18-08-2011, 11:30
Hi, if you need help drop me a message and I'll send you my details, I am a web designer and can help you!! ;-) Depending on what you require of course!

cowen1000
18-08-2011, 13:28
Simple solution is www.freewebs.com (depending on what you need)!
Otherwise you can always use Microsoft Frontpage or my favourite is Serif WebPlus X4 (which is what I built my web with) See signature.

KirstyJay
18-08-2011, 13:37
Simple solution is www.freewebs.com (depending on what you need)!
Otherwise you can always use Microsoft Frontpage or my favourite is Serif WebPlus X4 (which is what I built my web with) See signature.freewebs is good to do a simple site if it's not going to be used for a business. I have used this to teach the teachers at school how to set up something they can all materials to and update easily to use with their students.

I would advise AGAINST frontpage and Serif, as both these programs insert tons of useless and bulky code that makes web pages really cumbersome and slow.
They are designed to make your life easier... however what they produce is a web developer's nightmare. Having had to re-write sites built on these platforms in the past, I have seen many times the car crash of code they produce.

As has been said in other threads, if you just want something simple, then www.webs.com or even a free wordpress blog (www.wordpress.com) will do the trick, and it's hosted, so you don't have to pay for your own hosting either. If you want something for a business, then I would consider a professional. Tell them what you need and get a few quotes... and don't just go for the cheapest. Ask questions and do some research first. On here, if you like :) We'll do our best to help.

footiefan
18-08-2011, 15:15
thanks peps for all your help and advice, all i need it for is to advertise my holiday flat in bansko bulgaria