PDA

View Full Version : Are supermarket prices cheaper in north Tenerife than the south?

finca18jrl
17-08-2011, 15:20
Do you think that the supermarket prices are cheaper in the North of the island with respect to the south? What is your experience?

Suej
17-08-2011, 15:30
Do you think that the supermarket prices are cheaper in the North of the island with respect to the south? What is your experience?

A few cents difference (cheaper) in Alcampo and Carrefour in the North maybe but not much in it in my opinion.:)

bonitatime
17-08-2011, 16:13
I think they are quite a bit cheaper but if I add the petrol in it doesn't balance. If I am going that way we often buy bulk things like dishwasher tablets that are much more expensive.

KirstyJay
17-08-2011, 18:38
Sometimes it's nice to have some variety when you shop up north... you tend to have the same things in Mercadona and Alteza, so when we get the chance to go up north for a shop (once in a blue moon) I will get some lemon yoghurt drinks or other stuff that I don't usually see in the south.

As Bonitatime said though, it's not really worth making the trip especially... if you're in the area though, it's worth popping in :)

Saltnpepper
17-08-2011, 21:52
Agree, not too much difference in the price of items I've bought in northern supermarkets from southern ones, but it's nice to get a few different things when you're up there

finca18jrl
18-08-2011, 07:24
If I am going that way we often buy bulk things like dishwasher tablets that are much more expensive.

Thanks for your comments. I thought pretty much the same, but wasn't too sure. Dishwasher tablets... I use the ones from Lidl which are very good and so much cheaper than the dearer "all in one" ones in the south.

bonitatime
18-08-2011, 09:12
I like the all in one ones as it means I dont need to remember to top anything up

e85
22-08-2011, 00:43
carrefour is a lil bit cheaper and has a wider choice than the supermarkets down south, i tend to only go there for xmas food shopping as it has a bit more variety, otherwise i wouldnt bother!

casabonny
22-08-2011, 11:21
[I am in Santa Cruz weekly so always get stuff there .You can make some really good savings , the last few weeks a 5 litre bottle of water has been 49 or 59 cents , a vast difference from down here.Toileteries are generally cheaper too and you often get 3 for two.If you have to make a special trip then no its probably not worthwhile but if you are there its well worth looking at non perishable goods .If you have a Carrefour club card you get points and every three months a ticket of you accumalated money off plus vouchers most times you shop for money off certain items free stuff( I got two 500g of cherries free a few weeks ago, so even if you dont eat them all nothing lost ).They dont send you annoying junk mail and it costs nothing.
Al Campo have good fresh meat which is quite reasonable too and good quality.

[/I]

finca18jrl
22-08-2011, 13:24
Thanks Casanonny. Really informative. Unfortunately I don't get the chance to go regularly, but should things change I will always remember what you said.

canarianchicken
22-08-2011, 14:10
It isnt particularly cheaper, but there is far more choice, given the size of the supermarkets that we have here.
Since moving to La Orotava I use Lidl and Al Campo and rarely go to mercadona, although mercadona is a good store.

If I want british bacon or other british products, a trip to iceland is needed.