PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a nursery for 18 month old boy when on holiday in Tenerife?

bunnygirl34
17-08-2011, 21:40
hi there,can anyone recomend a creche/playcentre etc for an 18mth old boy,for when we on hols for 2 weeks on a casual basis please,we are staying in torviscas but do have a car...
thank you in advance for any help!
Please note this is only the odd few hours here and there not full time!!

Jackie
18-08-2011, 06:47
I am sorry Bunnygirl34, I take it this 18 month old is your son.....why the hell would you want to put him in a nursery if you are bringing him on holiday. Are family holidays not about spending time as a family????

bunnygirl34
18-08-2011, 07:45
i only meant the odd few hours,not the whole holiday.rolleyes2:

Jackie
18-08-2011, 07:48
Don't think you will find anything like that here to be honest, does the resort you are staying not have a babysitting service if it is only for the 'odd few hours' ?

Pixie17
18-08-2011, 08:23
I don't think you will be able to put him into a Creche/Nursery as they usually need medical certs and a entrance fee (for insurance purposes I am sure). As a mother of two I can understand that even though it is a family holiday just a few hours break I am sure would be well needed. Why not try the hotel, maybe staff in the kids club, my only suggestion is to take him to a kids play area, where he can enjoy the soft play area, Miki Park nr Fanabe is good or as you have a car then Rebu in Las Chafiras.

videotalker
18-08-2011, 09:13
I am sorry Bunnygirl34, I take it this 18 month old is your son.....why the hell would you want to put him in a nursery if you are bringing him on holiday. Are family holidays not about spending time as a family????

Exactly what i was thinking!

bunnygirl34
18-08-2011, 09:19
Exactly what i was thinking!

please read the fact i only meant a few odd casual hours here and there!

Added after 3 minutes:

hi pixie,thank u for your useful post unlike some of the others! where abouts is the miki park,i sort of know fanabe area...just havent seen a kids play area there,or is that along the beach bit,where theres a large bungie thing near it? :jumping:

Heffalumpy
18-08-2011, 09:27
Hi

My wife works for a child care service, called Tenerife Child Care.
An alternative option if you need it.

ali marshall
18-08-2011, 11:21
I agree will be hard to find somewhere for a few hours,my son is 3 and i understand wanting a few hours break,even if its to go out for a meal in piece and quiet.Ideally it is better to book with a holiday company that does kids clubs or creches.When we went away ,we booked privately but the complex was runned by thomas cook,was brilliant for us and my son.He enjoyed the time with other childrean and we actually ate out 1 night.Was only 2.50 a hour if you had not booked with thomas cook.

Most of the nurserys here only cater for working mums,i wanted my son just to go to a playgroup every other day for a couple of hours,you will find most places the child has to stay a minium of 20 hours a week,so for a month we was looking at alot of money.

There is a soft play area at tele pizza in los cristianos,this is free,or you could try the play area behind el vivo, i think you pay per hour for the child to play,both places you can eat and relax a bit.Also try along by the mcdonalds down by the patch area,we found one bar just off the beach what had a few kiddies toys outside.Maybe some other forum members know of places you can eat and caters for kids,we dont eat out of often as we just cannot sit and enjoy a meal,spend most of the time running around the restaurant after our son lol,so i do know how you feel.If you need any other help pm me.

Pixie17
18-08-2011, 13:19
Miki Park directions

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?rls=com.microsoft:en-US&oe=utf8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=miki+park+tenerife&fb=1&hq=miki+park&hnear=0xc41cbead52d4a55:0xf0340f4bbf98d20,Tenerife&cid=17318570274487397486

Jackie
18-08-2011, 19:59
please read the fact i only meant a few odd casual hours here and there!

Added after 3 minutes:

hi pixie,thank u for your useful post unlike some of the others! where abouts is the miki park,i sort of know fanabe area...just havent seen a kids play area there,or is that along the beach bit,where theres a large bungie thing near it? :jumping:

I am sorry you felt my post referring you to a babysitting service at the resort you are staying at not useful:confused: but I am sure you are not talking about that part of the post;)

I am sorry but it is just my personal opinion that when on a family holiday then you do things as a family regardless of the age of it's members. We holidayed for many many years with our children, from when our first son was a matter of months old to eventually having three children under 5 years old. Never in a million years would I have put any of them in a creche or anything similar. I would have hated having to explain to them when they were older and looking through photos of 'family holidays' that they were not in those particular ones because that was the day mummy and daddy left you and went out alone. I know kids can be stressful but are there not times you can leave them with family and friends when you are at home to give you a break rather than on a family holiday. I am sorry but it just doesn't seem right to me

ali marshall
18-08-2011, 20:42
I agree it is nice to spend quality time as a family on holiday but i also think its important the kids and parents have a nice time.To be honest we hardly saw the twins on our holiday becuse they were doing the activities in the day with thomas cook,but at 14 they rather be with the other kids,than sat with us.True about the pictures did not get many of the twins but we had to drag them on theholiday and they had a great time and want to go back next year.

A child of 18 months your a bit limited in what you can do,only can vist so many play areas.My son loved the creche on our holiday,ad he still talks about the rep jenny.

Some days he came out covered in choclate or paint all over himself,clutching his pictures he had done.Think kids can be bored at the pool or the beach all day and in this heat its not a great idea.Really think theres nothing wrong with it a few hours a week,gives the kids sometime to enjoy what they like and the parents some time to recharge there batterys.The creche was a god send for us.He went to the creche one night and we actualy sat and had a quiet meal for once.

When my twins were young no one had them except my parents who lived 120 miles away,maybe be couple of times a year,also having postnatal i found it very hard,so we always book complexs with creches as that was the only break i ever got.

tracey_in_tenerife
18-08-2011, 21:33
hi there,can anyone recomend a creche/playcentre etc for an 18mth old boy,for when we on hols for 2 weeks on a casual basis please,we are staying in torviscas but do have a car...
thank you in advance for any help!
Please note this is only the odd few hours here and there not full time!!

i just think your thread come across abit misunderstood by some
I totally agree with you why cant us parents have a break as well, most of the time us mums are looking after the kids 24/7, i dont see any problem with creches or childminding services if u want to have a meal in peace, lets face it when do us mums ever get a meal in peace, i have 5 children and i dont really have a regular babysitter in the UK but i have one in Tenerife so when i come over we go out twice a week if possible, if you want the number of my babysitter, i would highly reccomend her, she does wonders with my kids, a proper mary poppins !!

Jackie
19-08-2011, 07:47
Hotel/Resort Kids Club totally different. The child has a choice if they attend or not and for many it is a fun part of the holiday, bearing in mind that they have rules regarding the ages of the children that attend and the fact that parents must stay on site and not leave the kids while they go elsewhere, most state they are not a babysitting service. If you have to get a babysitter while at home because wherever you are going don't allow children then fine but NOT on a 'Family Holiday'. We are talking about 1 x 18 month old little boy, how hard can it be??? Sorry but maybe I am of the old school where my kids came and did everything with us as a family. Granted they will all get to an age when they don't want to go out with 'mum and dad' or even go on holiday with them, but while they do make the most of them, if you can't handle them then don't have them.

candy2411
19-08-2011, 08:14
Hi bunnygirl, sorry you've had some negative posts to your simple request, problem is there are some very self opinionated members on this forum but I guess you've noticed that and probably dismissed their opinions anyway . You didnt need a lecture on parenting skills I'm sure!

I fully understand your reason for wanting a few hours to yourself on a family holiday , not everyone needs to be a Superwoman!

At least you've had some useful suggestions from more helpful members, hope you have a great holiday

tracey_in_tenerife
19-08-2011, 14:13
Hotel/Resort Kids Club totally different. The child has a choice if they attend or not and for many it is a fun part of the holiday, bearing in mind that they have rules regarding the ages of the children that attend and the fact that parents must stay on site and not leave the kids while they go elsewhere, most state they are not a babysitting service. If you have to get a babysitter while at home because wherever you are going don't allow children then fine but NOT on a 'Family Holiday'. We are talking about 1 x 18 month old little boy, how hard can it be??? Sorry but maybe I am of the old school where my kids came and did everything with us as a family. Granted they will all get to an age when they don't want to go out with 'mum and dad' or even go on holiday with them, but while they do make the most of them, if you can't handle them then don't have them.

The lady was asking for advice Jackie NOT YOUR OPINION !!!

lozzie1821
19-08-2011, 14:51
I agree will be hard to find somewhere for a few hours,my son is 3 and i understand wanting a few hours break,even if its to go out for a meal in piece and quiet.Ideally it is better to book with a holiday company that does kids clubs or creches.When we went away ,we booked privately but the complex was runned by thomas cook,was brilliant for us and my son.He enjoyed the time with other childrean and we actually ate out 1 night.Was only 2.50 a hour if you had not booked with thomas cook.

Most of the nurserys here only cater for working mums,i wanted my son just to go to a playgroup every other day for a couple of hours,you will find most places the child has to stay a minium of 20 hours a week,so for a month we was looking at alot of money.

There is a soft play area at tele pizza in los cristianos,this is free,or you could try the play area behind el vivo, i think you pay per hour for the child to play,both places you can eat and relax a bit.Also try along by the mcdonalds down by the patch area,we found one bar just off the beach what had a few kiddies toys outside.Maybe some other forum members know of places you can eat and caters for kids,we dont eat out of often as we just cannot sit and enjoy a meal,spend most of the time running around the restaurant after our son lol,so i do know how you feel.If you need any other help pm me.

bunnygirl is looking for somwhere that she can leave her son for a few hours not be there with him..... altho i do agree with jackie that a family holiday is about spending time with those involved on the holiday BUT every couple should be allowed a night to have a meal/few drinks locally if the children can be minded by proffesionals. Days are all about going the beaches/water parks/ local places like PLeasure island etc...

Alot of the nurseries over here cater for working parents so do not offer anything under a month (part time), My son is in a nursery part time but this is still 125 a month (40 hours) and i had to pay insurance etc etc so i think your only chance of getting time alone without your son is by going with a company/hotel that offers the childcare/babysitting services...

ali marshall
19-08-2011, 20:59
bunnygirl is looking for somwhere that she can leave her son for a few hours not be there with him..... altho i do agree with jackie that a family holiday is about spending time with those involved on the holiday BUT every couple should be allowed a night to have a meal/few drinks locally if the children can be minded by proffesionals. Days are all about going the beaches/water parks/ local places like PLeasure island etc...

Alot of the nurseries over here cater for working parents so do not offer anything under a month (part time), My son is in a nursery part time but this is still 125 a month (40 hours) and i had to pay insurance etc etc so i think your only chance of getting time alone without your son is by going with a company/hotel that offers the childcare/babysitting services...

I did understand what she meant but with the way the nurserys are here i thought i would just mention few places she can go where she could eat and the child could play at same time,i have pm bunnygirl already and explained about some hoilday companys that do childcare and you can leave the complex as long as you put where you going to be and a contact number.Also you fill in a registration form and details about the child.

Under 3s is usually a creche and proberly no more than 2 hours,just enough time for a meal.Over 3 they have themed sessions,which is great everyday my little one wanted to go lol,kept shouting the reps name,jenny,also because we went last year she was familiar with my son,said he was a angel lol,that makes a real change but this was because he was so occupied and enjoying his time.

Jackie
19-08-2011, 21:22
The lady was asking for advice Jackie NOT YOUR OPINION !!!

She got both, my opinion and the suggestion of seeking a babysitting service at the resort she was staying at ;)

lozzie1821
20-08-2011, 11:22
when i stayed at palm beach they had an activity centre on the pool level which was great for me... Ava (2n half) was in there all the time but even i had said i wanted the week to be all about family time together... I did enjoy the 1 on 1 time with my son in the pool... anyway, with ava being under 4 they were abit dubius about allowing her in simply because of her age, rules and regulations etc.. however they said if was to use the sunbeds against the windows of the activity room she could go in so atlest then i could be found/seen by her.. she was so well behaved in there and i got to sunbathe and enjoy the family time we had together...

Its nice when your on holiday to get to enjoy yourself aswell as the kids enjoying themselves and creches/play centres within the hotel are a god send. I would never go on holiday now and stay in a hotel with no childcare facilities...

Jackie
20-08-2011, 11:56
The OP is not staying in a resort or hotel, but in her own apartment, so that blows all the ideas of kids/clubs etc. on resorts out of the water

MaxineC
31-08-2011, 12:44
I have the number of a registered child-minder that would be happy to help out... day or nights. I know her personally, and have no qualms recommending her.

Pm me if you want her details.

9PLUS
31-08-2011, 15:23
There's a little spare room in the cage but he'll have to share it with my wife and 8 kids

awaiting your responce

x

Vicky_87
01-09-2011, 11:31
Hi i do private child care if you want to private message me xxx