PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones Warning 'Touch Pad' mobile phone could mean high internet phone bills

anegib
18-08-2011, 12:11
Got a new mobile phone with touch pad system and did not know that Telefonica had automatically turned on the internet bit. Got a big bill from them which I could not work out as hardly ever use the thing. It seems every time I did use it for texting or making a call I was charged as being on the internet. Went to their local office last night and they phoned someone to tell them to turn if off for good. Hope this may help gadget nerds like me.

basil brush
18-08-2011, 12:31
Yes the same thing has happened to me, but alas they have NOT turned it off yet,only been a week but fear they will not? it was off for 9 months then suddenly came on, never spotted it, until the bill came, i have gone back to my old phone as the new andriod seems not to want to stop the facebook page running, and i can not find anyway to block it....bah humbug.

Vortex Wake
18-08-2011, 12:37
You need to go into the data network settings and turn the data network off.

basil brush
18-08-2011, 12:46
You need to go into the data network settings and turn the data network off.
Thank you for that will have looky looky see when i get home..Still out sniffing bins ?

doreen
18-08-2011, 12:49
Good warning ... colleague came back from business trip to the States in March - €1,000 bill for internet use on his iPhone in 5 days :wow:

dede
18-08-2011, 13:02
I dont suppose it matters if you have unlimited access to the internet in your contract does it??

anegib
18-08-2011, 13:17
Glad it is not just me.

Sorry do not know the answer to that

cowen1000
18-08-2011, 13:20
If your on an unlimited internet/data plan (ie blackberry) then it won't matter as long as your in the networks native country, if you decide to go overseas then you will need to disable the data services as your unlimited internet package doesnt cover when the phone is roaming (overseas) and it is very costly.

Hope this helps

AL JAY
18-08-2011, 13:25
A friend of mine with a UK phone had unlimited access and came back after a week with a Ģ600 bill, It was all roaming charges,it was discussed on Watchdog a while ago that unlimited doesn't mean unlimited everywhere!!! Some companies have had to change their wording to "Fair usage" I am with Orange and you are advised to contact them if you are going abroad!

dede
18-08-2011, 13:30
so would i have to disable the data when i go to mainland spain then?

Suej
18-08-2011, 13:49
If your on an unlimited internet/data plan (ie blackberry) then it won't matter as long as your in the networks native country, if you decide to go overseas then you will need to disable the data services as your unlimited internet package doesnt cover when the phone is roaming (overseas) and it is very costly.

Hope this helps

BB messaging is still free worldwide though isnīt it?

cowen1000
18-08-2011, 14:03
No, you will be ok in mainland spain (using the major networks) as the network is the same (the canaries use mainland spanish networks), not so sure about hits/ lebara etc.

dede
18-08-2011, 14:05
Glad it is not just me.

Sorry do not know the answer to that

To the onlooker it looks like i know what im doing :laugh::laugh::laugh:but i am learning new things on it everyday so ill get there in the end. :cheeky::cheeky:

williethetim
18-08-2011, 14:26
switch off your data roaming and connect via free wifi places

karinagal
18-08-2011, 18:47
The problem with a lot of smart phones is the apps running in the background. I know that the samsung galaxy ones have an app manager that tells you what is running and allows you to terminate them. I've recently found out that the iPhone 4 has one too - if you press the home button twice in quick succession (double tap), the active apps come up (scroll accross) at the bottom of the screen. Press and hold until they 'wobble' and you can delete them one by one.. this doesn't delete the app, just closes it down.. Make sure though that it is the apps that scroll accross the bottom though.. not the ones on the main screen..:goodluck: