PDA

View Full Version : Would there be blame?

Tom & Sharon
18-08-2011, 17:50
A friend of ours was on her way to visit a well known English chain supermarket on the Chafiras estate yesterday when she slipped on the footpath at the side of the supermarket where they cut up and bundle the cardboard packaging ready for disposal or recycling.
This area on what i believe is a public footpath is quite often covered in oil and grease and waste from deliveries and in my experience is known to be quite slippy :mopfloor: as it is on a slope and can be blocked off by delivery vehicles.
Our friend suffered only a grazed knee and bruising to her right palm and wrist and does not wish to pursue the matter although she did require help regaining her feet from a passer-by and it could have been far more serious.
I don't believe she reported this incident to the supermarket in question?
My other half is well known for her inability to stay vertical when walking and has had a similar experience at the same spot and as such avoids this footpath at the side of the supermarket.
My question is if this had been a more serious incident resulting in injury or god forbid a lengthy hospital stay would there be blame on behalf of the supermarket or are we not as litigious in Tenerife.

Tom :tiphat:

Suej
18-08-2011, 18:38
A friend of ours was on her way to visit a well known English chain supermarket on the Chafiras estate yesterday when she slipped on the footpath at the side of the supermarket where they cut up and bundle the cardboard packaging ready for disposal or recycling.
This area on what i believe is a public footpath is quite often covered in oil and grease and waste from deliveries and in my experience is known to be quite slippy :mopfloor: as it is on a slope and can be blocked off by delivery vehicles.
Our friend suffered only a grazed knee and bruising to her right palm and wrist and does not wish to pursue the matter although she did require help regaining her feet from a passer-by and it could have been far more serious.
I don't believe she reported this incident to the supermarket in question?
My other half is well known for her inability to stay vertical when walking and has had a similar experience at the same spot and as such avoids this footpath at the side of the supermarket.
My question is if this had been a more serious incident resulting in injury or god forbid a lengthy hospital stay would there be blame on behalf of the supermarket or are we not as litigious in Tenerife.

Tom :tiphat:

I know exactly where you mean but tbh the pavements are so bad here Iīm not even sure that continually washing the area would make too much difference unfortunately there are too many pedestrian walkways that are dangerously slippy I think itīs the surfaces (paving) that is at fault not whatīs dropped on them. (oops sorry I donīt mean your friend)

judetenerife
18-08-2011, 20:52
tenerife and spain are not really into the compensation culture and any court proceedings would take years and years, be very expensive and probably not result in any award from the judge

CIM
19-08-2011, 02:37
Friend of a friend of mine fell and broke her elbow in Las Galletas. 12 months in court and she got 14,000€ for it.

doreen
19-08-2011, 07:43
Friend of a friend of mine fell and broke her elbow in Las Galletas. 12 months in court and she got 14,000€ for it.

Did it happen in a public place and so Arona Council sued, or was it on private property ?

CIM
19-08-2011, 09:12
In public, sued Arona Council.

chifleta
19-08-2011, 15:24

wow - it's great when patience and perseverance pay off. Not many people would even try :)

I always tell friends when they come over, don't walk on pavements when it's raining ... in El Fraile I used to get angry when I saw everyone walking on the road, but to tell the truth I do too now, as the paths are so up and down it's a nightmare :)