PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Padel Tennis in Tenerife is great fun.

YOUNG GOLFER
18-08-2011, 18:38
Not sure if anyone has played this game but it is a sport i have taken up over the last month and i have to say i love it.
And this sport is really taking off here with loads of courts popping up...a bit like playing Tennis and Squash together.
It seems to be very popular for all sizes and ages groups.

For anyone unsure about the game i have put some info below along with a clip of how the game is played.

I find it great fun with 4 players and not to difficult to learn.....

MORE INFO.

Padel is typically played in doubles on an enclosed court about half the size of a tennis court. The balls used and the scoring is the same as normal tennis, just with a little less pressure, and so the biggest difference is that the court has walls and the balls can be played off them in a similar way as in the game of squash.

The sport was invented in Acapulco, Mexico, by Enrique Corcuera in 1969. It is currently most popular in Argentina, Mexico and some other Latin American countries and in Europe mainly in Spain, although it is now beginning to spread rapidly across Europe and other continents. The sport's huge popularity along the Costa del Sol in southern Spain has exposed it to a large number of British residents and holiday-makers and this is one of the reasons it is beginning to take off in the UK.

Padel is great for players of all ages and skills, as it is both quick and easy to pick up, and is less physically demanding than similar sports like squash. Most players get the grasp of it within the first 20 minutes of playing and find it easy to achieve a level of proficiency so that they can enjoy it because the game is not as dominated by strength and serve as tennis (in fact, the serve in padel is under-arm).

Padel has recently been launched in the UK - a group of private investors have managed to get together and properly launch the sport in 2011 after many other unsuccessful attempts from others. It has proven to be very difficult classifying the sport even though it has always been recognized abroad.

I do have a feeling however even back in the UK it will catch on this sport.

Here is a little clip if you have never seen it before.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWCDcCbZ8vo

bellamaria
19-08-2011, 11:52
looks good fun where can u play in tenerife south

Pixie17
19-08-2011, 11:59
I play regularly and LOVE IT, Shout if you fancy a game, Young Golfer ;)

YOUNG GOLFER
19-08-2011, 12:07
I play at the Tennis club next to the Water Park Aqualand 4 courts there.

Also Chayofa Country Club a few there.

Near El Madronal forgot the name of the huge restaurant that does salad and meat there are a few courts there to.

And El Galeón sports complex - Adeje are at the moment working on a new sports center which will house 7 Padel courts i have been told.

I play regularly and LOVE IT, Shout if you fancy a game, Young Golfer ;)

Will do..... there are 5 of us at the moment but want to get more players so i can play more than just once a week.

YOUNG GOLFER
23-09-2011, 17:43
Well just found out tonight at Tennis Sur next to the water park they are having a BBQ and a few games it's a chance for fellow players to meet up and arrange games together.
So for anyone wanting to check it out might be a good idea to go.

DJ Dangerous
23-09-2011, 17:52
What is it with you and your paddling and balls?

YOUNG GOLFER
23-09-2011, 17:57
Its good fun and helps you let off a little steam mate.......best you not play though you will be coughing up fur balls.

Goforgold
23-09-2011, 18:28
What is it with you and your paddling and balls?

Well better than - what is it with you and your balls and paddling?!! ;)

Andy0210
23-09-2011, 23:45
best you not play though you will be coughing up fur balls.

Don´t be telling everyone that he has got fur balls, one of the cat charities will be trapping him for neutering!!!! ;)

YOUNG GOLFER
24-09-2011, 00:04
Just got back and have to say it was great fun tonight met loads of other players and got to have a few games.
Great value for money it's starts at 7pm til 11pm 15€ per person this includes drinks and a BBQ.
Everyone is welcome every Friday.

So DJD ask Andy0210 if you could be his partner and come along.

slodgedad
24-09-2011, 00:13
If you're the near Las Chafiras there is a dedicated Padel club on the dual carriageway through Llano de Camello.

Coming from the motorway towards San Miguel, turn left at the Dorada factory and follow the road round.

It is about 200 meters up on the left hand side (other side of the dual carriageway)

Plenty of turn arounds and parking.

Andy0210
24-09-2011, 00:30
So DJD ask Andy0210 if you could be his partner and come along.

It´s a nice thought but not sure i want to play with his fur balls! So if anyone else is up for a game ??? :)

John O Connor
19-12-2011, 18:15
Any more info on this Guys?
In Los C for the week with the gf and would love to try?
WHat equipment do we need?
Price?
Location?
Any general games for beginners such as the bbq deal Young Golfer mentioned?
Thanks!!
Love the island! :)

YOUNG GOLFER
19-12-2011, 18:48
Well BBQ deal is not running at the moment due to being a little cold of a night time for the locals..
Most places will hire out bats at 3€ balls for 3 new ones are around 4€ cost... for a hour is 10€ during day 13€ of a night time pays for the flood lights that's hire for the court not per person.
Think there are already a few locations on the posts before this one...but for sure there are more courts around.

canarybird
19-12-2011, 20:27
Padel is also being played in the north at Alvaro´s tennis club, AKA Centro Deportivo y de Ocio Puerto de la Cruz in La Paz, near Trebol supermarket, where I go for my Pilates classes.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Weather/Weather-Tenerife-North/i-rxZqppn/0/M/P1070498-june-3-pm-M.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Sports/Alvaros-Club-de-Tennis/P4266877/854416816_qzkmJ-M.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Sports/Alvaros-Club-de-Tennis/P5317025-Alvaros-3/916597914_rSoJF-M.jpg

Canarybird

bigjeff75
23-01-2012, 17:05
just wondering if there are any opportunities for complete beginners to give this a go? i would love to give this a try but am not brave enough to just wander in to tenisur and ask as my spanish is limited to ordering food and getting a cab home!

YOUNG GOLFER
23-01-2012, 18:23
just wondering if there are any opportunities for complete beginners to give this a go? i would love to give this a try but am not brave enough to just wander in to tenisur and ask as my spanish is limited to ordering food and getting a cab home!

The girls and guys at Tenisur are really nice and they can speak English why not pop in for a chat.

bigjeff75
23-01-2012, 18:49
i'll have to get off my backside and pop down, when do you gusy play so i can see what standard to aspire to

Added after 6 minutes:

guys even..

CIM
23-01-2012, 19:04
Padel courts near aqualand.
PM Young Golfer your contact details and he´ll let you know next time we are playing. Could be tomorrow or Wednesday night.