PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay your church a levy?

anto3
18-08-2011, 22:13
Heard on the irish radio today that the cathloic church are charging all cathloic people a levy because they are in debt. I cannot believe people will fall for this. Interesting to see how they will get that off the people. I would not give them the time of day. They said nobody giving at the church collection, i wonder why

slodgedad
18-08-2011, 22:22
In days gone by tithes were paid, which still happens in some religions, and then collection plates, which were a valuable source of income when churches were busy.

Attendances have now fallen, so the massive wealth they attained over the centuries is now being eroded.

I think they are about to feel gunshot pains in their lower extremities.

cainaries
18-08-2011, 22:37
I heard tell that before any of the current financial crises occurred, the Vatican sold all its shares and bought gold.

slodgedad
18-08-2011, 22:42
I heard tell that before any of the current financial crises occurred, the Vatican sold all its shares and bought gold.Could be why the value of gold has risen so much recently.

It's all being stashed away..

cainaries
18-08-2011, 22:43
Could be why the value of gold has risen so much recently.

It's all being stashed away..

Even more sinister ... did it cause the banking crisis? I do love a good conspiracy theory!

slodgedad
18-08-2011, 22:53
Even more sinister ... did it cause the banking crisis? I do love a good conspiracy theory!OOOOOO, Let's go..:devil2:

cainaries
18-08-2011, 22:57
OOOOOO, Let's go..:devil2:

Well, there was that guy, .. Archbishop Marcinkus I think he was called .... who managed the Vatican's money. Don't forget the man who committed suicide (not) from Blackfriars Bridge, someone Calvi, something like that, linked into Marcinkus 'God's Banker'. It's all very murky. And now they want 'hard pressed families' or whatever today's heart-squeezing phrase might be to dig deep into their pockets and put their last 10 cents in.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/june/19/newsid_3092000/3092625.stm

Hope the link works.

slodgedad
18-08-2011, 23:07
Well, there was that guy, .. Archbishop Marcinkus I think he was called .... who managed the Vatican's money. Don't forget the man who committed suicide (not) from Blackfriars Bridge, someone Calvi, something like that, linked into Marcinkus 'God's Banker'. It's all very murky. And now they want 'hard pressed families' or whatever today's heart-squeezing phrase might be to dig deep into their pockets and put their last 10 cents in.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/june/19/newsid_3092000/3092625.stm

Hope the link works.Link works fine..We should get together and write something and name it after that painter bloke..:crazy:

Vinky somebody

timmylish
19-08-2011, 02:20
Well, if they had instructed, controlled and investigated their staff properly they would not have had to pay out so many damages actions to the families of abused children. The very idea of seeking money from these same families, to keep their premises open for business, absolutely vulgar and despicable. Sell off the bloody gold and valuables from their business premises and raise the money that way.
I am agnostic, as you will no doubt gather.

tonythorne
19-08-2011, 08:36
Did you know that Hitler made it mandatory for Austrians to pay a Catholic Church Tax... monthly? It's not easy to opt out now, but many do...!

cainaries
19-08-2011, 09:44
Did you know that Hitler made it mandatory for Austrians to pay a Catholic Church Tax... monthly? It's not easy to opt out now, but many do...!

I didn't! Just the Austrians? Someone told me ... but this is a few years ago now, before Zapatero, that the Spanish government pays a contribution to the funding of the Catholic Church. I think Zapatero said he would stop paying it, but I don't know if he has. So we're all paying it if he didn't.