PDA

View Full Version : Has the small German bar in La Paz reopened?

dixie4
19-08-2011, 05:50
On a recent Canarybird weather report I noticed in one of her pictures of the Canary Centre, La Paz that the small German bar in the square behind the Famacia seems to have reopened. I do not remember the name of the place it is a few doors away from the International.

Any info anyone?

Megaloo
19-08-2011, 08:37
On a recent Canarybird weather report I noticed in one of her pictures of the Canary Centre, La Paz that the small German bar in the square behind the Famacia seems to have reopened. I do not remember the name of the place it is a few doors away from the International.

Any info anyone?

Canarybird may know if not I will have a walk over and find out for you have not been over that way lately.

dixie4
19-08-2011, 10:03
Hi Sheila,
Do not go to any trouble as I know it is quite way from where you live. I have just booked a flight and will be out on Wednesday. I had intended to come out months ago but you know how things go. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Adrian

canarybird
19-08-2011, 10:49
Hi Adrian....yes it looks like that bar has reopened. New chairs and table and people sitting there again.

I was sorry when it closed because the little square looked a little desolate without those tables and umbrellas. :)

Megaloo
19-08-2011, 14:14
Looking forward to seeing you again Hope all is OK

canarybird
19-08-2011, 16:31
Hi again....

I just wanted to say that as I had to go to the farmacia this morning, I stopped at the bar and had a look as it's on my way. I think this is the one you mean, with the chairs and tables along the wall, and spoke to one of the people I know - the man who has the handbag and shoe shop - who was sitting there having coffee.

He said yes it had reopened under new management, the new owner being an Italian man, and it was better now than it was before. I asked the owner if he minded my taking a pic of the menu...that was fine so here it is. I think this is the place you were talking about.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Tenerife-North-Weather-2/i-rJxp7ZR/0/M/P1100608-aug-19-pm-M.jpg
http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Tenerife-North-Weather-2/i-mkTCBwN/1/M/P1100610-aug-19-pm-M.jpg

Down the stairs and next to the farmacia is the German deli where I frequently buy their potato salad, bratwurst and cooked hamburger patties. The young lady owner there (who speaks Spanish very well) is now making some other good deli salads for takeaway as well as having a few tables outside where she serves coffee, salads, cold meats/warmed hamburgers, German beer etc. for lunch or snacks.
She also sells a selection of imported gourmet food items in jars and tins, such as unusual salts and spices.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Tenerife-North-Weather-2/i-7pRb2ZF/0/M/P1050416-deli-La-Paz-M.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Tenerife-North-Weather-2/i-cjhPQCj/0/M/P1080704-deli-interior-M.jpg

Canarybird

dixie4
19-08-2011, 21:34
Yes Sharon that is the place.

We used to love to have a coffee and a beer in the afternoon when the sun was shining. I can see what you mean about giving the square some sort of feeling.

What the hell if English was not spoken the previous German owners always made us very welcome. I was suprised when they packed up and went home to Germany earlier in the year.

The new guy has a nice tapas menu and the prices seem reasonable. I will certainly try the place out next week.

I hope to see you out and about.

Regards

Adrian

dixie4
08-09-2011, 00:56
A little late on this post.

I would like to add that although not in a restaurant setting the food at the Mason Tinguaro is quite outstanding.

The owner is indeed Italian he was also the head chief in the Italian restaurant in the Botanico for a number of years. His wife is German she speaks good Spanish and English and has made us very welcome. The food as I said before was very good prepared and served well, certainly worth a visit.

They are also of the mind that they stay open late. Which is good as a lot of places seem to close early in La Paz. The English bar, close by, closes at 9pm!

The original guy, who had had the place for about three years, was taken ill and had to return to Germany for treatment.

The new people are trying hard and I believe they have improved the place.

Megaloo
08-09-2011, 08:10
Thankyou Dixie 4 for that will give it a try and tell others

dixie4
08-09-2011, 09:16
Don't tell too many, I would like a seat next time I go round:yum:

canarybird
08-09-2011, 13:26
I'll also give it a try.