PDA

View Full Version : Four arrested after cigarette find at Exeter Airport on flight from Tenerife

admin
20-08-2011, 15:51
A woman has been charged with avoiding customs duty after the seizure of 45,000 cigarettes on a flight from Tenerife at Exeter.

Border Agency officers discovered the cigarettes as the British woman disembarked on Wednesday.

The matter was referred to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to investigate.

Three other people who were arrested at the same time as the woman were released on bail.

source (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-14586558)

Goforgold
20-08-2011, 15:54
That wasn't one of our forum members in drag was it??!! ;)

dede
20-08-2011, 15:55
I cant say i feel sorry for her, why does she think she is different from everyone else who takes home the quantity what they are entitled to. Greedy cow !!!!

cressrt
20-08-2011, 16:04
She obviously has never watched UK Border Patrol, or other similar Customs programmes. All suitcases are routinely X-Rayed to find this type of smuggler!

Bobby
20-08-2011, 16:46
If she lives in a council house will she be evicted?

cainaries
20-08-2011, 17:46

You beat me to it, GFG! :D

She was not alone so who knows ..... who else might have been there ....

Goforgold
20-08-2011, 17:50
You beat me to it, GFG! :D

She was not alone so who knows ..... who else might have been there ....

I'll give you 6 guesses!! ;)

AL JAY
20-08-2011, 17:51
I hope it wasn't Young Golfer in his new pink outfit!!! :wink2::D

onelegnofeet
20-08-2011, 17:56
I cant say i feel sorry for her, why does she think she is different from everyone else who takes home the quantity what they are entitled to. Greedy cow !!!!

Come on Dede dont hold back !!!lol

YOUNG GOLFER
20-08-2011, 17:59
I just hope it was not any of the tenerifes forum memberseek2:;)

Goforgold
20-08-2011, 18:14
I hope it wasn't Young Golfer in his new pink outfit!!! :wink2::D

What outfit is that Al Jay - I seem to have missed some gossip!! :)

Suej
20-08-2011, 18:14

Jimima?.....:nails: LOL!

Goforgold
20-08-2011, 18:17
Jimima?.....:nails: LOL!

:rofl: ............................

onelegnofeet
20-08-2011, 18:26
I just hope it was not any of the tenerifes forum memberseek2:;)

Pray tell ???....................

Suej
20-08-2011, 19:06

Here:D ........
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewanddiane/255076556/

canarianchicken
20-08-2011, 19:10
Must have been a bloody big suitcase!

Suej
20-08-2011, 19:13

Good point! that´s a massive amount of fags!:wow:

warbey
20-08-2011, 19:22
Good point! that´s a massive amount of fags!:wow:

Lock Her up till She smokes em all

Wouldnt do it again!, and yes. She may well live in a Council House...

canarianchicken
20-08-2011, 19:28
I think it waqs the size of the suitcase that gave it away!

Goforgold
20-08-2011, 19:31
Here:D ........
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewanddiane/255076556/

Phwarrh!!! I say Suej, very tasty!!! ;)

marbro8
20-08-2011, 19:50
Must have been a bloody big suitcase!when the customs find something like this, they say how many individual ciggs they find(not the amount of sleeves) because it makes it sound a bit more dramatic so there where 225 sleeves, and you can get 55 sleeves in one suitcase, so if you divide them up between the 3 of them that would be 4 cases and the profit on that lot if they had paid about 5 euros for a sleeve would be £5,625, so you can see what the attraction is;)

onelegnofeet
20-08-2011, 21:53

Maybe she has a Beagle !!!!

9PLUS
20-08-2011, 22:23
A woman has been charged with avoiding customs duty after the seizure of 45,000 cigarettes on a flight from Tenerife at Exeter.

Border Agency officers discovered the cigarettes as the British woman disembarked on Wednesday.

The matter was referred to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to investigate.

Bet that's that old Zarion

x

AL JAY
20-08-2011, 22:43

I think it was the Ciggie that gave him away...

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm114/COLNILSATIS/funny-pictures-humor-pink-dress-costume.png

I think he looks a bit rough after the flight :D

slodgedad
20-08-2011, 23:04
It's always gonna be a gamble.

Acquaintance of mine, 12 years ago, did it regularly and enticed his son, who was 19 at the time, to do the same so he could have a free holiday.

He got nicked at Gatwick, fags taken off him and 6 months probation.

He has to live with that for the rest of his life.

I know we're all tempted but it is a criminal offense punishable by Jail.

Law is law, whether you agree or not...Try walking round Abu Dabai, one of the playboys of the world's favourite haunts, with a can of lager in your hand.

Laws is laws...

Although I have worked all over the world in my 60 years on the planet I have only recently (5 or 6 years ago), really understood the 'When in Rome' concept.

Probably cos I've always been a goody 2 shoes...:tongue:

CaribeCelt
20-08-2011, 23:44
I can see why people take the risk though.

To give you an example: 1 packet of Domingo is roughly about 1 euro in Tenerife,or there abouts,and Where i come from it is going for £4.50.

But as people say it is against the law.

slodgedad
21-08-2011, 00:50
I can see why people take the risk though.

To give you an example: 1 packet of Domingo is roughly about 1 euro in Tenerife,or there abouts,and Where i come from it is going for £4.50.

But as people say it is against the law.Just the same as every other contraband item.

It's just strange how Brits seem to disreguard ciggies as contaband.

\\\the allowance is there, so stick to it.

CaribeCelt
21-08-2011, 01:37
Just the same as every other contraband item.

It's just strange how Brits seem to disreguard ciggies as contabanetd.

\\\the allowance is there, so stick to it.

Maybe the Brits disreguard it due to the fact they are robbed themselves on extortinate tax duty on the fags.
You have British and Irish politicians pontificating about the dangers of fags but still take 3/4 tax off them.

The people in parliament are great advocates of Capitalism so the people are just practising what they preach...IMO.

Andy0210
21-08-2011, 04:10

Having delivered Cigarettes to and from Customs bonded warehouses in the UK in my truck driving days they come packed in boxes of 10,000, which would fit in a normal size suitcase no problem, what has probably happened here is she has had 3 or 4 people with her, maybe even kids and used their suitcases as well or paid for holidays for people in order to carry cigs back for her.

Either they have caught her with the kids or her carriers have bubbled her during questioning.

Makes me laugh, you see people carrying boxes of 10k cigarettes here into shops, or people relaoding vending machines with thousands of cigs no problem.

When we used to carry them in the UK, we had such massive security checks to get in it was untrue, had to vary our routes every time we carried them and carried a special laminated sheet of paper which was to be shown through the window if we ever got stopped by Police informing them we would not unlock the door or get out of the vehicle, however i would be happy to follow them to the nearest Police Station then would co-operate fully with whatever they required when on official police ground.

Talk about worlds apart and its all down to UK Taxes! :rolleyes:

theedge92
21-08-2011, 10:56
What made her think she was going to get away with smuggling in 45000 cigarettes. What an absolute twonk. If i bring any back al bring back a thousand or 2. Which is nothing compared to what some people try.

Suej
21-08-2011, 11:06
What made her think she was going to get away with smuggling in 45000 cigarettes. What an absolute twonk. If i bring any back al bring back a thousand or 2. Which is nothing compared to what some people try.

Most friends of mine that smoke take around 1000 or so back but it is for their own use so if they get caught they are prepared to accept the consequences! They all think it´s worth a try!:dontknow:

theedge92
21-08-2011, 11:11
Most friends of mine that smoke take around 1000 or so back but it is for their own use so if they get caught they are prepared for accept the consequences! They all think it´s worth a try!:dontknow:

Exactly, July i bought back 1400. I buy them for my dad back home and he gives me the money for them. But if you going to bring in excessive amounts then your going to get caught. You might aswell sneek another person on board the plane whilst your at it.

cainaries
21-08-2011, 11:39
I got caught a VERY long time ago with only 1,000 and I've never done it since Had my knuckles rapped hard by Customs, gave them the ciggies and left very chastened by the experience. My mother-in-law on the other hand used to take several thousand back and never got caught. Those were for her own use though - she would light each fag from the previous one and had them on her plate whilst eating. First time I went on holiday with her I gave up smoking.

dixie4
21-08-2011, 11:46
I have a friend who does the same taking a 1000 ciggies through customs when the allowance is 200. I think the customs expect a small amount and ignore it, maybe not worth the paperwork.

I usually use Manchester when flying from Tenerife and rarely see any customs officers about, this does not fool me as they are in the back ground manning the hundreds of CCTV cameras and screens behind the scenes.

If no one abuses the system too much as in Exeter then I would rather see the efforts of our border controls aimed at the illegal drugs which has become such a problem.

Leave the smokers alone they get ripped off every day think of the taxes they pay.

kingbaker
21-08-2011, 14:25
I got caught a VERY long time ago with only 1,000 and I've never done it since Had my knuckles rapped hard by Customs, gave them the ciggies and left very chastened by the experience. My mother-in-law on the other hand used to take several thousand back and never got caught. Those were for her own use though - she would light each fag from the previous one and had them on her plate whilst eating. First time I went on holiday with her I gave up smoking.

WELL DONE YOU a sane post on this topic at last :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Added after 2 minutes:

WELL DONE YOU a sane post on this topic at last

admin
05-11-2011, 16:39
THREE British women have been sentenced for smuggling 45,000 cigarettes into Exeter Airport following an investigation by HM Revenue and Customs.

Sharon House, Nikki Archbold and Marie Anne Lund, who live in Tenerife, appeared at Central Devon Magistrates’ Court in Exeter on Friday, October 28 and pleaded guilty to fraudulently evading duty payable on 15,000 cigarettes (a total of 45,000) and evading £3,000 in revenue (a total of £9,000).

House, 50, was given a 12 week prison sentence, which has been suspended for 12 months, and will have to obey a curfew from 7pm to 7am for seven weeks.

Archbold, 21, was fined £1000 and Lund, 18, received a 12 month conditional discharge.

All three of the women must pay £200 costs.

The cigarettes, which included Benson & Hedges and CK brands have been burned to fuel the National Grid.

They were discovered by UK Border Agency officers when the women disembarked from an early morning Tenerife flight on August 17.

Simon De Kayne, HMRC assistant director of criminal investigation, said: “These women intended to smuggle cigarettes into the UK and return to their lives in Tenerife almost immediately, instead bail conditions forced them to surrender their passports and remain in the UK.

“Hopefully this and the sentences handed down will make them think twice before considering future criminality.”

He added: “Tobacco smuggling not only undermines legitimate retailers who have to compete with illegal imports, but also costs the UK economy around £2billion a year.”

source (http://www.midweekherald.co.uk/news/cigarette_smugglers_sentenced_1_1116944)

Tom & Sharon
05-11-2011, 16:50
THREE British women have been sentenced for smuggling 45,000 cigarettes into Exeter Airport following an investigation by HM Revenue and Customs.

Sharon House, Nikki Archbold and Marie Anne Lund, who live in Tenerife, appeared at Central Devon Magistrates’ Court in Exeter on Friday, October 28 and pleaded guilty to fraudulently evading duty payable on 15,000 cigarettes (a total of 45,000) and evading £3,000 in revenue (a total of £9,000).

House, 50, was given a 12 week prison sentence, which has been suspended for 12 months, and will have to obey a curfew from 7pm to 7am for seven weeks.

Archbold, 21, was fined £1000 and Lund, 18, received a 12 month conditional discharge.

All three of the women must pay £200 costs.

The cigarettes, which included Benson & Hedges and CK brands have been burned to fuel the National Grid.

They were discovered by UK Border Agency officers when the women disembarked from an early morning Tenerife flight on August 17.

Simon De Kayne, HMRC assistant director of criminal investigation, said: “These women intended to smuggle cigarettes into the UK and return to their lives in Tenerife almost immediately, instead bail conditions forced them to surrender their passports and remain in the UK.

“Hopefully this and the sentences handed down will make them think twice before considering future criminality.”

He added: “Tobacco smuggling not only undermines legitimate retailers who have to compete with illegal imports, but also costs the UK economy around £2billion a year.”

source (http://www.midweekherald.co.uk/news/cigarette_smugglers_sentenced_1_1116944)

So in reality,one got a £1000 fine divided by three people,one got a CURFEW :doh: and one got away scot free and they can divide £200 costs between three people,not me thinks much of a deterrant.

Seven weeks and it's back to the sun

Soft sentences as usual

Tom :censored:

warbey
05-11-2011, 20:15
So in reality,one got a £1000 fine divided by three people,one got a CURFEW :doh: and one got away scot free and they can divide £200 costs between three people,not me thinks much of a deterrant.

Seven weeks and it's back to the sun

Soft sentences as usual

Tom :censored:

As One Member says about Half a Glass.
so,
each got 7 weeks at Their expense and not the Taxpayer.
How one got a suspended and another fined 1 thousand, beats Me

I bet They dont EVER try it again.
I think They will be monitored in future which wont be nice either..
and lastly, They all have a Record..

grumps
05-11-2011, 20:38
They can`t be very bright ...Exeter is the last place to try this, the customs use it as a training centre lol

AL JAY
05-11-2011, 22:21
I think the biggest rogues in this is Her Majestys Government, a pack of Embassy Regal cost 36p to make and merchandise etc,in the shops they are £7:20 per 20 pkt,so nearly £7 per pkt is tax...They say they want smokers to stop,Don't make me laugh!!! In Tenerife the same pkt costs 2 euro 30 cents. I rest my case M'lud!

9PLUS
05-11-2011, 22:42
Surely the shop must make some profit at least 1.50 GBP a pack and the manufacturers would do the same.

So would there be more like 4 pounds tax a pack of 20?

Angusjim
06-11-2011, 08:47
I think the biggest rogues in this is Her Majestys Government, a pack of Embassy Regal cost 36p to make and merchandise etc,in the shops they are £7:20 per 20 pkt,so nearly £7 per pkt is tax...They say they want smokers to stop,Don't make me laugh!!! In Tenerife the same pkt costs 2 euro 30 cents. I rest my case M'lud!

Yea another plus for Tenerife its cheaper to get cancer

andyb
06-11-2011, 10:45
I was stopped in Gatwick once, i had 600 cigarettes in my bag plus about 50 in my pockets. When the customs guy asked me if I had anything to declare I told him I was 400 over on cigarettes. He said "no problem, you've been honest and with only that amount they're obviously for you. On your way" or words to that effect.

My point is, they aren't looking to persecute the individual who's just saving himself a bit of money, they're after the ones who are looking to make big profit. Not a lot different to drug smugglers, who rarely use the stuff themselves I understand.

AL JAY
06-11-2011, 12:40
Surely the shop must make some profit at least 1.50 GBP a pack and the manufacturers would do the same.

So would there be more like 4 pounds tax a pack of 20?

Your actually way off the Mark, Mark...pun intended! If sold at the RRP shops make less than 20p per pack and supermarkets sell some as a lost leader!

Dan747
11-11-2011, 00:06
I think the customs expect a small amount and ignore it, maybe not worth the paperwork.

As with all of Britain's overly bureaucratic services such as HMRC and the Police, little things like being slightly over on your cigs allowance just isn't worth the time and paperwork for such a small result, officers will concentrate on the bigger catches such as this. It's like with the Police, I was in the Police for a few years and officers would generally turn a blind eye to such things as being a bit of over the speed limit, the paperwork is just too much hassle, so unless somebody is taking the michael they would be ignored.