PDA

View Full Version : How do I set up a VPN on my computer for watching British TV?

cainaries
21-08-2011, 11:51
Please be very patient with me on this. I have finally managed to download a VPN service and I think I've installed it correctly but when I try to open Safari or Google Chrome I just get a message to say I'm not connected to the internet.

So, what have I done wrong and how do I put it right? And, just as important, how do I actually manage to watch the tv. I spent hours and hours on this yesterday and am very fed up with it all.

Before anyone mentions TVinTenerife, I can't use it because I haven't got a Spanish credit or debit card which I need in order to open a Spanish Paypal account.

Suej
21-08-2011, 12:13
Please be very patient with me on this. I have finally managed to download a VPN service and I think I've installed it correctly but when I try to open Safari or Google Chrome I just get a message to say I'm not connected to the internet.

So, what have I done wrong and how do I put it right? And, just as important, how do I actually manage to watch the tv. I spent hours and hours on this yesterday and am very fed up with it all.

Before anyone mentions TVinTenerife, I can't use it because I haven't got a Spanish credit or debit card which I need in order to open a Spanish Paypal account.

Iīm a bit dubious about these downloads Cainaries, I installed ex-pat shield and what a nightmare it was! Completely messed up my pc. I daresay others have been fine with it but maybe not for the likes of us non-techies!

Why donīt you try http://myiplayer.com/home.php first it works really well and no need for VPNīs.

Good luck!:D

Goforgold
21-08-2011, 12:19
I said to Cainaries, you would be able to help her!!! ;)

Isn't Timmylish quite a dab hand at this sort of thing too?

cainaries
21-08-2011, 12:37
Iīm a bit dubious about these downloads Cainaries, I installed ex-pat shield and what a nightmare it was! Completely messed up my pc. I daresay others have been fine with it but maybe not for the likes of us non-techies!

Why donīt you try http://myiplayer.com/home.php first it works really well and no need for VPNīs.

Good luck!:D

Thanks, Suej, but nothing happens when I click on the programmes except a very strange load of Spanish ads wanting me to enter my mobile phone number and I already know that would be a big mistake! Do I need to download the free VPN?

Added after 2 minutes:

A mod has changed my title thread. I'm sure there's a good reason - I can see what it might be. However, the point is that I HAVE installed the VPN but it appears to conflict with my computer.

Suej
21-08-2011, 12:46
I said to Cainaries, you would be able to help her!!! ;)

Isn't Timmylish quite a dab hand at this sort of thing too?

He might be looking in soon, he does have a very reliable VPN provider and I did have the link for it, but canīt find it! Sorry!

cainaries
21-08-2011, 12:50
He might be looking in soon, he does have a very reliable VPN provider and I did have the link for it, but canīt find it! Sorry!

Thanks, Suej. I'll try writing to the VPN provider. One of the companies I've already tried wrote a very polite note to unsubscribe me (!) - don't think they'd ever dealt with anyone so non-techy as me before.

slodgedad
21-08-2011, 12:52
Thanks, Suej, but nothing happens when I click on the programmes except a very strange load of Spanish ads wanting me to enter my mobile phone number and I already know that would be a big mistake! Do I need to download the free VPN?

I just tried it and when the adverts came on as tabs I just clicked them off and ignored them, as I was about to give up too, and the picture appeared.

You don't need the add ons.

Had a look at CH.4 and BBC 1. Works great.

Thanks for the tip, Sue.

h0u53music
21-08-2011, 12:58
This is very simple, go to this website - http://www.freeukvpn.com/ - take a note of the server name freeukvpn.com, take a note of the username - free - then take a note of the password which is always a 6 digit number, the only thing with this one is that the passowrd chages once a day, so make sure you add the website to your favorites! Next, go to Control Panel on your PC, go to Network Connections, select Create a New Connection, select Connect to Network (or select whichever states VPN) then Next, then select Virtual Private Network click next, give it a name i.e. FREEUKVPN click next, if it asks if you wish to dial the connection, select do not dial and click next, then type in the server name freeukvpn.com click next, select do not use my smart card click next, then select the checkbox which states add a shortcut to my desktop, this will add it to your desktop, and then click finish. You will then see a new Icon on your desktop, all you need to do is double click it and enter the username - free - and the password as stated earlier on and click connect, then you can use all the online UK players such as BBC iplayer and ITV player E4 player etc. I note that this is instructions for a Windows XP PC, the set up will be different for Vista or 7 users, but contact me if you want any help! ;-)

cainaries
21-08-2011, 13:13
I just tried it and when the adverts came on as tabs I just clicked them off and ignored them, as I was about to give up too, and the picture appeared.

You don't need the add ons.

Had a look at CH.4 and BBC 1. Works great.

Thanks for the tip, Sue.

OH. MY GOD. There it all is. Wow, Suej, thanks a million, really. How I wish I had asked this yesterday! OH was patient yet sad at missing yet more rugby.

And thanks to Slodgey for reminding me that patience is sometimes rewarded!

And thanks to GFG for encouraging me to ask on here in the first place as I was too embarrassed for being so stupid.

This is very simple, go to this website - http://www.freeukvpn.com/ - take a note of the server name freeukvpn.com, take a note of the username - free - then take a note of the password which is always a 6 digit number, the only thing with this one is that the passowrd chages once a day, so make sure you add the website to your favorites! Next, go to Control Panel on your PC, go to Network Connections, select Create a New Connection, select Connect to Network (or select whichever states VPN) then Next, then select Virtual Private Network click next, give it a name i.e. FREEUKVPN click next, if it asks if you wish to dial the connection, select do not dial and click next, then type in the server name freeukvpn.com click next, select do not use my smart card click next, then select the checkbox which states add a shortcut to my desktop, this will add it to your desktop, and then click finish. You will then see a new Icon on your desktop, all you need to do is double click it and enter the username - free - and the password as stated earlier on and click connect, then you can use all the online UK players such as BBC iplayer and ITV player E4 player etc. I note that this is instructions for a Windows XP PC, the set up will be different for Vista or 7 users, but contact me if you want any help! ;-)

Hi thanks so much for taking the trouble to write this. I actually have Vista. Right now Suej's link is working but I've filed you away in my brain just in case something goes AWOL.

Suej
21-08-2011, 14:05
OH. MY GOD. There it all is. Wow, Suej, thanks a million, really. How I wish I had asked this yesterday! OH was patient yet sad at missing yet more rugby.

And thanks to Slodgey for reminding me that patience is sometimes rewarded!

And thanks to GFG for encouraging me to ask on here in the first place as I was too embarrassed for being so stupid.

Hi thanks so much for taking the trouble to write this. I actually have Vista. Right now Suej's link is working but I've filed you away in my brain just in case something goes AWOL.

Download VLC player too as sometimes itīs better streaming but you want to download the version that they advise on the site (itīs not the latest but allows full screen viewing whereas the newer version disables this function) Well Done! happy viewing!:wave:

Added after 31 minutes:

Try this for Sport too Cainaries! http://site.myp2pforum.eu/index.php?part=sports I find it works better using Sopcast which you need to download, there is no reason for F to miss any of his sport again!

Goforgold
21-08-2011, 19:25
Our Suej isn't just a pretty face !!!! :D ..... :bowdown:

cowen1000
21-08-2011, 19:39
expat shield works for every iplayer etc and its free :) works a charm!!

Suej
21-08-2011, 19:54
expat shield works for every iplayer etc and its free :) works a charm!!

didnīt work for me Iīm afraid! I just couldnīt remember to disable it when I needed to...completely made a mess of things...but I am Blonde!!!;)

Our Suej isn't just a pretty face !!!! :D ..... :bowdown:

Wot you after? :laugh:

Hey! whereīs Cainaries...too busy watching bloody British TV now to bother with us!:neener:

cainaries
21-08-2011, 20:03
didnīt work for me Iīm afraid! I just couldnīt remember to disable it when I needed to...completely made a mess of things...but I am Blonde!!!;)

Wot you after? :laugh:

Hey! whereīs Cainaries...too busy watching bloody British TV now to bother with us!:neener:

Something along those lines, Suej! How do I get it to full screen? I'm not originally blonde, but acquired blonde. Had it toned down this week in anticipation of my kindle arriving. Yeah, might be a bit quiet for a bit trying to catch up with Corrie, etc. You are an utter star.

Added after 3 minutes:

Download VLC player too as sometimes itīs better streaming but you want to download the version that they advise on the site (itīs not the latest but allows full screen viewing whereas the newer version disables this function) Well Done! happy viewing!:wave:

Added after 31 minutes:

Try this for Sport too Cainaries! http://site.myp2pforum.eu/index.php?part=sports I find it works better using Sopcast which you need to download, there is no reason for F to miss any of his sport again!

Maybe I've disabled the full screen option. OH has dismissed it all as 'too small' to watch a decent game of rugby.

Goforgold
21-08-2011, 20:08
Something along those lines, Suej! How do I get it to full screen? I'm not originally blonde, but acquired blonde. Had it toned down this week in anticipation of my kindle arriving. Que ???

It doesn't take pictures you know!!!! :wink2:

Suej
21-08-2011, 21:09
Something along those lines, Suej! How do I get it to full screen? I'm not originally blonde, but acquired blonde. Had it toned down this week in anticipation of my kindle arriving. Yeah, might be a bit quiet for a bit trying to catch up with Corrie, etc. You are an utter star.

Added after 3 minutes:

Maybe I've disabled the full screen option. OH has dismissed it all as 'too small' to watch a decent game of rugby.

Double click on the small screen to get full screen, to come out of full screen just press Esc button. if it wonīt go to full screen by double clicking then itīs best to download VLC player (the earlier version as the site suggests) let me know how you get on! X

cainaries
21-08-2011, 21:50
It doesn't take pictures you know!!!! :wink2:

Just as bl**** well! Skype did this morning with all this new stuff on my computer. Scary.

Now to the serious stuff (Slodgey, you can send me to off topic after I've got the answers!)

* I thought Peter and Leanne were related, are they now a couple?
* Who did Fiz kill?
* Is the baby Haley is looking after Fiz's baby?

OK - that's just three for you to be going on with - there may be a new thread or even a sticky very shortly. Fortunately for everyone I don't follow Eastbenders.

timmylish
21-08-2011, 21:52
Canaries. When you do have problems with you UK telly let me know and I,ll introduce you to my UK VPN provider which costs the princely sum of 6 quid per month. Brilliant service and especially for blondes or make believe blondes (!) they will install the service on your computer permanently without you having to do anything other than press a key when asked. I appreciate the service you have is free but like everything free, you do only get what you are not paying for! Incidentally I have the iPlayer system on my computer just as an emergency.
Happy viewing anyway.

cainaries
21-08-2011, 21:57
Canaries. When you do have problems with you UK telly let me know and I,ll introduce you to my UK VPN provider which costs the princely sum of 6 quid per month. Brilliant service and especially for blondes or make believe blondes (!) they will install the service on your computer permanently without you having to do anything other than press a key when asked. I appreciate the service you have is free but like everything free, you do only get what you are not paying for! Incidentally I have the iPlayer system on my computer just as an emergency.
Happy viewing anyway.

Thank you so much, Timmylish. This all came about because the Spanish subscription channel we've been using hasn't shown recent rugby matches and OH has got in a bate about it. However this week (or next) we will have to embark on some serious wallet-searching with a view to buying a computer with HMDI and cables and all that stuff so he can watch the world cup. Or I'll just pack him off back to Gloucestershire to watch it with his son. But it's on for nearly 2 months!

Suej
21-08-2011, 22:08
Thank you so much, Timmylish. This all came about because the Spanish subscription channel we've been using hasn't shown recent rugby matches and OH has got in a bate about it. However this week (or next) we will have to embark on some serious wallet-searching with a view to buying a computer with HMDI and cables and all that stuff so he can watch the world cup. Or I'll just pack him off back to Gloucestershire to watch it with his son. But it's on for nearly 2 months!

If you need help with the sites I gave you Cainaries just email me and Iīm sure we can sort it!;)

timmylish
21-08-2011, 23:36
Canaries.
On which channel will the Rugby be showing?
Having that info might shorten your search!

cainaries
22-08-2011, 00:19
Canaries.
On which channel will the Rugby be showing?
Having that info might shorten your search!
Thanks, Timmylish. I'm told ITV has the rights but that's all I know. So, not the BBC presumably.

cowen1000
22-08-2011, 00:31
http://www.kofss-stream.tv/ for all sproting features.

cainaries
22-08-2011, 12:55
http://www.kofss-stream.tv/ for all sproting features.
Thanks for that! Just found some cricket so had to turn it off before OH came back in or we'll never get anything done.

KirstyJay
22-08-2011, 12:59
Try this for Sport too Cainaries! http://site.myp2pforum.eu/index.php?part=sports I find it works better using Sopcast which you need to download, there is no reason for F to miss any of his sport again!Myp2p.eu has gone offline... but it seems you can still access it through that new forum link, so ta! :D You could try www.vipstand.net too though :)

MaxineC
22-08-2011, 13:03
Another one is www.justin.tv

cainaries
22-08-2011, 13:38
Myp2p.eu has gone offline... but it seems you can still access it through that new forum link, so ta! :D You could try www.vipstand.net too though :)

Thanks, Kirsty. Finally manage to set up a VPN as well. Got rather a headache this morning from watching so much tv on a cheap computer screen yesterday. We will have to make an investment or two now we've finally mastered the technology.

Suej
22-08-2011, 13:44
Myp2p.eu has gone offline... but it seems you can still access it through that new forum link, so ta! :D You could try www.vipstand.net too though :)

Yep Kirsty I tried first from my link on My favourites and it wouldnīt connect so googled it and got the other link! I have just tried the old link again and itīs still down.

simonhyde
24-08-2011, 16:06
Funny noone comented on my solution, freeukvpn.com, out of all the solutions stated freeukvpn.com is still te easiest by far!! Just visit www.freeukvpn.com!

cowen1000
24-08-2011, 17:06
expat shield is the easiest. just download and install. works like a charm

cainaries
24-08-2011, 17:55
Funny noone comented on my solution, freeukvpn.com, out of all the solutions stated freeukvpn.com is still te easiest by far!! Just visit www.freeukvpn.com!
Apologies! I think I've got it sorted for the moment but I will certainly keep all the info on this thread somewhere safe so we don't miss anything else.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Isn't this Forum wonderful?

Goforgold
24-08-2011, 19:12
Apologies! I think I've got it sorted for the moment but I will certainly keep all the info on this thread somewhere safe so we don't miss anything else.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Isn't this Forum wonderful?

I'm relying on you to keep this safe Cainaries - I might need it one day ;)

Jackie
24-08-2011, 20:34
Just visit the sites mentioned and bookmark them then they are all there in case of emergencies. The site Sue mentioned has been a god send up here in the hills for the last couple of years when the signal has gone on the Sky due to storms/rain. I found it thanks to friends in Cyprus who have to suffer the same with Satellite TV when they have storms.

Also agree with Sue about Expat shield, it totally messed my computer up and a lot of people on myiplayer say the same thing. Always have a chat with people on there as well. I bumped into Alimarshall on there and in turn we bumped into Chifleta who we had never met or spoken to before but we have all met up and had a great time. We also bumped into Gloucestergirl, Timmylish and Astara on there. Have to say we probably spend more time chatting on there but it is also a great way of meeting people from all over the world who we have made friends with. I think at one time they were getting a bit worried as people from Tenerife seemed to be taking over lol, it was in the middle of storms though lol

MaxineC
24-08-2011, 23:49

Most of the free vpn's don't work on a Mac, I have one specifically for my machine, hence no reply or thanks from me... There's a comment! ;)

timmylish
25-08-2011, 01:55
Most of the free vpn's don't work on a Mac, I have one specifically for my machine, hence no reply or thanks from me... There's a comment! ;)

Yes Maxine and it won,t infect your machine! I,ll stick with my trusted VPN. You pays what you get or the other way around!

sleepy
25-08-2011, 19:21

I dont think this is free or working anymore :cry:

Edit
Got it working by using the information from here
http://uk.gofreevpn.com/

cainaries
25-08-2011, 20:02
Happy viewing anyway.
timmylish I am so embarrassed. Somehow I didn't read your thread properly. No, the VPN service I have installed isn't free. It's 10 USD a month I think which is probably 6 quid but your system sounds better. I don't want to touch anything over the new few days as OH wants to watch England v Ireland but after that I'll contact you to see what I need to do. So sorry I didn't read this properly before. When I can't get something INSTANTLY - especially when I've paid for it - I get awfully cwoss.

timmylish
26-08-2011, 01:21
Canaries. Please pm me when you need help and I,ll be delighted to help in any way I can. Reason for pm/ Simples really. Some days I,m not on here but a pm will notify me thru' Messenger!
(Which provider are you using, btw?)

Tom & Sharon
26-08-2011, 09:44
Canaries, do you have a landline?

We are going to order this today - http://www.bay-connect.com/

It's €47.95 a month for telephone line, broadband & British TV. That's less than we pay Telefonica just for the phone and broadband.

One of our neighbours has just got it, and it works brilliantly. Better than the BBC aerials & boxes people have.

If you just want to watch it on your computer, that's all you pay. If you want to watch it on your TV, the set-top box is a one off payment of €94.95, and comes with all the cables and everything. All telephone support is English.

I am also blonde & non techie, and Tom is in UK, but our neighbour is a woman on her own, and managed to set it up with just a little telephone support.

Seems really good, cheaper than Telefonica, and no ugly aerial on your wall.

cainaries
26-08-2011, 10:12
Canaries, do you have a landline?

We are going to order this today - http://www.bay-connect.com/

It's €47.95 a month for telephone line, broadband & British TV. That's less than we pay Telefonica just for the phone and broadband.

One of our neighbours has just got it, and it works brilliantly. Better than the BBC aerials & boxes people have.

If you just want to watch it on your computer, that's all you pay. If you want to watch it on your TV, the set-top box is a one off payment of €94.95, and comes with all the cables and everything. All telephone support is English.

I am also blonde & non techie, and Tom is in UK, but our neighbour is a woman on her own, and managed to set it up with just a little telephone support.

Seems really good, cheaper than Telefonica, and no ugly aerial on your wall.

Wow, Sharon, thanks for that. Yes, we have a landline. We also have Digital + which costs 60 euros a month (my euro sign has gone on holiday again). So it would be an immediate saving for us. I shall ring them to see if they operate on La Palma. I am ready to be disappointed but anyway I'm sure loads of TF members will be grateful to you for posting that!

And if they do extend it to here just about every Brit I know will sign up as we've got nothing here at all. Except Sky News.

Tom & Sharon
26-08-2011, 10:30
Wow, Sharon, thanks for that. Yes, we have a landline. We also have Digital + which costs 60 euros a month (my euro sign has gone on holiday again). So it would be an immediate saving for us. I shall ring them to see if they operate on La Palma. I am ready to be disappointed but anyway I'm sure loads of TF members will be grateful to you for posting that!

And if they do extend it to here just about every Brit I know will sign up as we've got nothing here at all. Except Sky News.

I can't see why it won't extend there. It's still a Spanish telephone number. It depends on the speed of your broadband I suppose.

I think it's a brill product.

Let me know how you get on. They told me they could handle everything with Telefonica, and I would get the set top box in less than a week. While you're waiting for the set top box to arrive, you can watch it on your computer.

cainaries
26-08-2011, 10:50
I can't see why it won't extend there. It's still a Spanish telephone number. It depends on the speed of your broadband I suppose.

I think it's a brill product.

Let me know how you get on. They told me they could handle everything with Telefonica, and I would get the set top box in less than a week. While you're waiting for the set top box to arrive, you can watch it on your computer.

Thanks, Sharon. I am introducing the idea slowly to OH. Not good at handling change in this house ... unless it's coins. So, are you already watching it on your computer? And getting all the usual UK channels? Sorry for all the questions.

Tom & Sharon
26-08-2011, 11:17
Thanks, Sharon. I am introducing the idea slowly to OH. Not good at handling change in this house ... unless it's coins. So, are you already watching it on your computer? And getting all the usual UK channels? Sorry for all the questions.

I'm only ordering it today. I waited for our neighbour to get it first to see what it was like.

She could watch it on her computer straight away, but had ordered the set top box. This has now arrived, and she has set it up. It's a little black box, a bit bigger than a router, and is connected to the tele with a scart lead. It has a remote control, just like a sky box, and she now has all BBC 1, BBC2, ITV 1,2,3 & 4, channel 5, more 4, true movies, Sky news, BBC world service, Radio 1,2,3 & 4, and Capital FM, all on the TV.

It works perfectly. Her picture quality is better than one of the other neighbours who has just spent over €500 on getting the BBC aerial installed, and she doesn't have the ugly aerial on the wall, or the €90 a year maintenance fee.

I am impressed.

Added after 49 minutes:

I have just ordered this now.

All very easy, they have said they will deal with Telefonica for us, and we should have the set top box and router within a week.

No payment upfront for the set top box, it comes out on d/d with your 1st or 2nd bill.

Canairies - I asked for you if it is available on all the islands, and she said yes. She said if you want to ring about it, ask for Nicki, and she will be able to answer your questions. The number is here: - http://www.bay-connect.com/ I told her I had posted about it on here.

Still impressed.

cainaries
26-08-2011, 18:24
I'm only ordering it today. I waited for our neighbour to get it first to see what it was like.

She could watch it on her computer straight away, but had ordered the set top box. This has now arrived, and she has set it up. It's a little black box, a bit bigger than a router, and is connected to the tele with a scart lead. It has a remote control, just like a sky box, and she now has all BBC 1, BBC2, ITV 1,2,3 & 4, channel 5, more 4, true movies, Sky news, BBC world service, Radio 1,2,3 & 4, and Capital FM, all on the TV.

It works perfectly. Her picture quality is better than one of the other neighbours who has just spent over €500 on getting the BBC aerial installed, and she doesn't have the ugly aerial on the wall, or the €90 a year maintenance fee.

I am impressed.

Added after 49 minutes:

I have just ordered this now.

All very easy, they have said they will deal with Telefonica for us, and we should have the set top box and router within a week.

No payment upfront for the set top box, it comes out on d/d with your 1st or 2nd bill.

Canairies - I asked for you if it is available on all the islands, and she said yes. She said if you want to ring about it, ask for Nicki, and she will be able to answer your questions. The number is here: - http://www.bay-connect.com/ I told her I had posted about it on here.

Still impressed.
Hi Sharon

Thanks so much for this. I tried to ring the number but it was engaged which doesn't surprise me as probably half of Tenerife is ringing it by now. Not quite clear how it is your neighbour could watch it on her computer straight away but you have to wait for a router. Am I being dense again?

Tom & Sharon
26-08-2011, 19:46
Hi Sharon

Thanks so much for this. I tried to ring the number but it was engaged which doesn't surprise me as probably half of Tenerife is ringing it by now. Not quite clear how it is your neighbour could watch it on her computer straight away but you have to wait for a router. Am I being dense again?

Sorry, no - her router arrived first.

I can use my Telefonica one till the new one arrives.

lesandvalmartin
02-11-2011, 09:45
Hi there, only recently arrived, and would love to have a go at this please, as expat shield doesn't seem to work. Trouble is I'm windows 7 so could I trouble you for the procedure I need for that one please.
Thanks in anticipation. Les

cowen1000
02-11-2011, 10:42
http://www.freeukvpn.com/

timmylish
02-11-2011, 15:48
I have tried them all! I currently use a company that I,ve been with for a couple of years and, as I,ve said time and again, you only get what you pay for (or don,t!)! There is a new one on the block, recently. They are offering a free service but, wait a minute they have a premium service as well! Tell you anything?
Me, I,d rather deal with a company who is very upfront, makes no freebie claims and then coerces clients into taking up their "premium" a/c.
My company is;-
http://vpnuk.net/
if you are unsure on setting up they will do it remotely for you and have a service centre open all the time to help clients. In the 3 + years I,ve been with them my service has gone down for a couple of hours maybe twice but fixed in minutes! Ye pays yer money ye take yer chances! Best of luck.
Oh. btw. Be careful of a possible drop in internet speeds with certain VPN suppliers. They don,t mention that when signing you up!

karinagal
02-11-2011, 22:17
I have tried them all! I currently use a company that I,ve been with for a couple of years and, as I,ve said time and again, you only get what you pay for (or don,t!)! There is a new one on the block, recently. They are offering a free service but, wait a minute they have a premium service as well! Tell you anything?
Me, I,d rather deal with a company who is very upfront, makes no freebie claims and then coerces clients into taking up their "premium" a/c.
My company is;-
if you are unsure on setting up they will do it remotely for you and have a service centre open all the time to help clients. In the 3 + years I,ve been with them my service has gone down for a couple of hours maybe twice but fixed in minutes! Ye pays yer money ye take yer chances! Best of luck.
Oh. btw. Be careful of a possible drop in internet speeds with certain VPN suppliers. They don,t mention that when signing you up!

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay for this service? We've used a free one to access Sky Go, and the speed had dropped right down to just over 1mb..... Problem is, not living there means that we would only use it very occasionally so it might not be cost effective..

timmylish
03-11-2011, 00:39
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay for this service? We've used a free one to access Sky Go, and the speed had dropped right down to just over 1mb..... Problem is, not living there means that we would only use it very occasionally so it might not be cost effective..

I think its 5.99 stg. Not a lot for being able to access every uk station currently available anywhere on a similar basis. 40 odd channels. However, and please consider very carefully what I,m getting at. Having this VPn ensures that when I do any banking or other private area which could attract hackers, the VPN prevents this and gives a level of security otherwise unobtainable. So, all considered. My 5.99 stg is very cheap at the price!
When you are talking about Sky channels, there is no doubt that all VPN lose some degree of speed accessing your Sky membership. I currently have access to SkyGo thru' my Fathers Sky membership. Whereas I normally get between 7/8 mgps with SkyGo it drops to 5/6 still more than sufficient to watch without interruption.
Any other questions just fire away! (About VPN,s that is!).

edsa
05-11-2011, 12:06
I have tried various free systems and am thinking of signing up for VPNUK . I will be visiting the island for a few months and hope to be able to use canaries wireless. Is anybody using this service on canaries wireless and would like to give me their opinion on how it works?

lovethesun
01-03-2012, 11:08
I just clicked on the link that you gave and it just says 'This domain name expired on 2/18/2012 and is pending renewal or deletion'

deepdivejunkie
01-03-2012, 11:30
With the Tor Catchup TV package (http://www.2shared.com/file/SzZP9Je_/Tor_UK_Catchup_TV_Package_Beta.htm), you dont need a VPN
]

timmylish
01-03-2012, 14:03
With the Tor Catchup TV package (http://www.2shared.com/file/SzZP9Je_/Tor_UK_Catchup_TV_Package_Beta.htm), you dont need a VPN
]

Seen all these systems before and sooner or later they let you down. I,ll stick to my very stable and frankly exceptional VPN for the measly sum of 5,99 stg. Don,t forget that this also allows me use internet banking with great levels of security, far in excess of other systems. I and others, who use this company have never had cause for complaint!

deepdivejunkie
01-03-2012, 18:18
Seen all these systems before and sooner or later they let you down. I,ll stick to my very stable and frankly exceptional VPN for the measly sum of 5,99 stg. Don,t forget that this also allows me use internet banking with great levels of security, far in excess of other systems. I and others, who use this company have never had cause for complaint!

Hi timmylish,
Been using the Tor catchup package over 2 years now and never a problem. I think its very good, and is portable... you can run it from a usb memory stick. I do agree that there is a lot of unreliable tv programs ou there tho

dotty1
01-03-2012, 20:01
I agree with Timmylish used the same UKVPN for years and feel very safe

karinagal
01-03-2012, 22:04
Ok, ok I get it! Timmylish and Dotty you've convinced me, I'm going to get this set up next time I'm over..... I'm looking forward to being able to use Sky Go when I'm there..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dotty1
02-03-2012, 09:30
[QUOTE=karinagal;149897]Ok, ok I get it! Timmylish and Dotty you've convinced me, I'm going to get this set up next time I'm over..... I'm looking forward to being able to use Sky Go when I'm there..

Hi Karen I still use mine in the UK when I am on my computer, give it a go and let them set it up for you