PDA

View Full Version : Iresome TV Interviewers/presenters

timmylish
22-08-2011, 14:40
Yet again, I get totally pee,d off with the inability of UK TV presenters when speaking to people on the telephone whose 1st language is certainly not English, to make themselves clearly understood. Kay Burley just keeps her droll voice, kind of lacking any attempt to use single syllabic words which the person at the other end, in a war torn region, is being asked to comment on the situation he finds himself in. This happens all of the time and they wonder why people just don,t follow what is being said. And, this is supposed to be one of the UK,s prime reporters!

kingbaker
22-08-2011, 18:41
Yet again, I get totally pee,d off with the inability of UK TV presenters when speaking to people on the telephone whose 1st language is certainly not English, to make themselves clearly understood. Kay Burley just keeps her droll voice, kind of lacking any attempt to use single syllabic words which the person at the other end, in a war torn region, is being asked to comment on the situation he finds himself in. This happens all of the time and they wonder why people just don,t follow what is being said. And, this is supposed to be one of the UK,s prime reporters!

I hear that she speaks highly of you too:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

slodgedad
22-08-2011, 19:18

Not just reporters but Brits in general.

How is someone supposed to understand;

'Excuse me but I have finished my bread. Do you think I may have just a little bit more, it's nice'

Polite, I know., but talking to someone with not much English it's drivel.

Carol once asked a waiter in Italy, who spoke fairly good English;

'Excuse me, but I wonder, if it's not too much trouble, if I could have just a little bit more butter?'

Speaking at normal speed to the waiter, his jaw dropped as though he was listening to Swahili.

Kay Burley suffers with the same verbal diarrhoea.

timmylish
22-08-2011, 19:51
I hear that she speaks highly of you too:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I don,t get paid her wages. They would be much better off employing me, and that,s for sure!

Vortex Wake
22-08-2011, 20:11

Don't watch SKY news - simples ;)

irishmusico
22-08-2011, 20:19
How can you slag off Kay.She is wonderful.Here she is at her best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaoML4dKmPw&feature=related

timmylish
22-08-2011, 23:20
Don't watch SKY news - simples ;)

No its not simples as their speed of reporting outclasses anything the beeb can produce!

kingbaker
23-08-2011, 00:00
Not just reporters but Brits in general.

How is someone supposed to understand;

'Excuse me but I have finished my bread. Do you think I may have just a little bit more, it's nice'

Polite, I know., but talking to someone with not much English it's drivel.

Carol once asked a waiter in Italy, who spoke fairly good English;

'Excuse me, but I wonder, if it's not too much trouble, if I could have just a little bit more butter?'

Speaking at normal speed to the waiter, his jaw dropped as though he was listening to Swahili.

Kay Burley suffers with the same verbal diarrhoea.

Might be better if you didnt go home for a few days after this :laugh: :laugh:

Added after 7 minutes:

I don,t get paid her wages. They would be much better off employing me, and that,s for sure!

Absolutely right timmylish couldn't agree more.I think that you'd be much better value. Incidently there's hardly a British reporter who knows the
difference between Ireland and island---after all these years :ashamed: :ashamed:

dokgolf
23-08-2011, 00:20
Might be better if you didnt go home for a few days after this :laugh: :laugh:

Added after 7 minutes:

Absolutely right timmylish couldn't agree more.I think that you'd be much better value. Incidently there's hardly a British reporter who knows the
difference between Ireland and island---after all these years :ashamed: :ashamed:

You'll have to explain that one to me:confused:

canarianchicken
23-08-2011, 02:05
There is something to be said for BBC English. At least the whole UK can understand it.
It should be reinstigated. regional programmes are a different kettle of fish altogether.

irishmusico
23-08-2011, 12:44
No its not simples as their speed of reporting outclasses anything the beeb can produce!

You better believe it.They are so fast at reporting they reported a bomb going off in Dublin in a building directly across the street from where I was working as the lead story on the 9.00 am news one time.The incorrect news story disappeared into the ether by 11.00.Fast and factual is Sky. :)

timmylish
23-08-2011, 16:47
Understand what you,re saying however all I said was "speed" and not accuracy!