PDA

View Full Version : Relocation All aboard! Moving over to Tenerife!

londonjimmy
22-08-2011, 15:58
Hi Everyone

I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions as we are moving to Tenerife in about 8 weeks.

Little bit about myself & my family - My name is James (or jimmy if you prefer!) and I am from Glasgow but have been living in London for the past 5 years, my missus is from Australia but I met her in Glasgow (god know what an Aussie was doing in Glesga! Haha!) We have a daughter who is 2 and a half and a little boy who is 5 months old. Both accountants but have some online businesses too. The main reason we are moving over to Tenerife is to change our lifestyle and grow one of those businesses without the horrendous expenses of London!

I'm nervous now as we will be completely dependent on ourselves for the first time and that worries me! Especially as if everything didnt work out I've seen how hard it could be to get any employment in Tenerife!

So I have a squillion questions but here are just a few if anyone could be helpful.

- We have been to Tenerife about 5 times now, and always stayed down at the H10 Gran Tinerfe so have got to quite like the Adeje area and would like to live probably somewhere nearby. I quite liked San Euginos closeness to everything and also the beach. I wondered if there where any other areas that we're missing out on that would offer similar? How much would a 2/3 bedroom apartment/house cost per month to rent? Is there any local recommended rental agents?

- Our second priority apart from a house is Internet (because of the online business) and Telephone. Is it easy to get broadband in Adeje and if so how can we make sure that it is available before signing up for a house? Its crucial for us. Also what about phone calls back to the UK? Is there international calling plans?

- Bills and Shopping: How much would a family of 2 kids and 2 adults need per month? I've worked out provisionally without a car and a rent of €700 that around €1500 would be enough (700 rent 800 expenses?? But I may be way off the mark, i don't know...! How much does Gas/Elec/Water cost?

- Health: If i fall and break my knee, do I get treated for free in Tenerife like the NHS or do I need to get medical insurance?

- Has anyone used any moving agents from England to Tenerife to ship boxes over? What sort of cost is involved?

Do any of the forum members ever meet up?

Big move but im convinced we'll have a much better life in Tenerife!!

See you all soon and any help/advice greatly appreciated!! :O))

James

A.P.&.S.S
22-08-2011, 16:26
Hi Everyone

I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions as we are moving to Tenerife in about 8 weeks.

Little bit about myself & my family - My name is James (or jimmy if you prefer!) and I am from Glasgow but have been living in London for the past 5 years, my missus is from Australia but I met her in Glasgow (god know what an Aussie was doing in Glesga! Haha!) We have a daughter who is 2 and a half and a little boy who is 5 months old. Both accountants but have some online businesses too. The main reason we are moving over to Tenerife is to change our lifestyle and grow one of those businesses without the horrendous expenses of London!

I'm nervous now as we will be completely dependent on ourselves for the first time and that worries me! Especially as if everything didnt work out I've seen how hard it could be to get any employment in Tenerife!

So I have a squillion questions but here are just a few if anyone could be helpful.

- We have been to Tenerife about 5 times now, and always stayed down at the H10 Gran Tinerfe so have got to quite like the Adeje area and would like to live probably somewhere nearby. I quite liked San Euginos closeness to everything and also the beach. I wondered if there where any other areas that we're missing out on that would offer similar? How much would a 2/3 bedroom apartment/house cost per month to rent? Is there any local recommended rental agents?

- Our second priority apart from a house is Internet (because of the online business) and Telephone. Is it easy to get broadband in Adeje and if so how can we make sure that it is available before signing up for a house? Its crucial for us. Also what about phone calls back to the UK? Is there international calling plans?

- Bills and Shopping: How much would a family of 2 kids and 2 adults need per month? I've worked out provisionally without a car and a rent of €700 that around €1500 would be enough (700 rent 800 expenses?? But I may be way off the mark, i don't know...! How much does Gas/Elec/Water cost?

- Health: If i fall and break my knee, do I get treated for free in Tenerife like the NHS or do I need to get medical insurance?

- Has anyone used any moving agents from England to Tenerife to ship boxes over? What sort of cost is involved?

Do any of the forum members ever meet up?

Big move but im convinced we'll have a much better life in Tenerife!!

See you all soon and any help/advice greatly appreciated!! :O))

James

Hi Jimmy

Good to see another Scottish person is planning to join us all across here?! lol. Your right its a big move, I have been out here now for almost 4 months and I have left my partner and son back in Fife making sure all the odds and sods are tied up, but I can now report we will be back as a family in 1-1/2weeks here in Tenerife. Life is great here but it does have its ups and down, Im a bit 'green behind the ears yet' to answer all of your questions but will answer from my own experiances.
(1) Yes work is hard to find here, like you I have a web based busness and also a 'ground' based business out here, if working but slowly, dont expect to come out here and make your 1st million, it just aint gona work just now.........in saying that I'd say be ready for when things boost up again tho.
(2) I stay in a small village called Palm Mar, its very quiet, kids can run about without to much supervision, pubs and eating places are ALL good, it has a very good supermarket, but you need a car as the bus service is a bit poor. I'd say it is a very good place to bring up kids, my 4year old will love it here.
(3) In my opinion I'd say €700 for rent in the area your talking about might be a tad low (not 100% sure), you can get a 3 bed here in Palm Mar for about €800ish per month, Elec = €75 per month and water = €25 (estimated!). Your €800 should do you for a beer or so, you will find the places to go and not to go, I'd say a car is a good idea as some thing (mercadona) etc etc are a bit far out and water is heavy to carry!
(4) Health - If you are fully paid up in the UK, apply to Newcastle DWP and ask for the overseas Healthcare Team (no.0191-2181999), tell them your off to Tenerife and you wish a Residual S1, this will be sent to your spanish address, register it here and bingo you get about 18months healthcare as a Spanish person would get, if you either dont start paying into the Spanish system or the 18 months run out I'd say private medical cover should be got.
(5) I used a company called Rima Freight (google will give you the details). I only moved a 2m3 box (2m x 1m x 1m) with computer etc etc etc in it, it cost approx £400 + €100 this end for tax etc, ask for Dave, he was fantastic.
(6) Internet.........! its an island in the middle of the Atlantic, need I say any more?! lol I use a mobile stick from Vodafone, on the whole its not bad, I have friends with ADSL and they als have issues from time to tim, but Im sure someone will be along soon to fill you in more on this as i'm not 100% sure about set up before you move etc.

Hope this helps, you are right, its a great life, I love it and have NO intention to move back to the UK.

Anything else just shout or PM me, anytime.

Mike

Lynne & Lee
22-08-2011, 16:32
all the very best to you and your family ....hope all works out well for you .

Stoney
22-08-2011, 17:23
If you find a place you like, you must to check out the internet reception, get in touch with Direct Telecom they do a package that includes 300 free calls to the UK and Spain and they will tell you the download you can expect about 40 Euro per month. Rough idea of the rent nice place with decent size balcony for a 2 bed in PDLA/LC would be around the 700 - 800 plus bills allow about 135 per month to cover elec/water, it will be in the Alto so a car will be required. 3 bed apartments don't come up very often, so you would be looking at a townhouse/villa and they start about 1200 per month plus bills. If you move out of the holiday resort area prices drop a lot. For a good idea of the current price have a look on the Tenerife Property Guide and use the links to various agents. Some agents want a finders fee, be very careful some charge as much as one months rent others about 200 Euros, always ask upfront. We found a great 3 bed place and didn't pay a finders fee. Have a look on the Alicur site (its a Spanish Builder) at The Sunset Complex, they have some great places available to rent, as they cannot sell them.

londonjimmy
22-08-2011, 17:52
Mike - thanks for the info. Its good to get someones first impressions of the first few months! Thats awesome the family are on their way now! We have just came to this decision last week and have nothing stopping us, no excuses anymore! Initially we said, okay let get everything in to place for next year then yesterday decided that was just another excuse too and we are just too comfortable in our lifes at the moment instead of getting what we really want. The excitement of knowing we are gonna be sitting doing our own business in the sunny climate of Tenerife is too much (i'm actually in the office at the moment! hehe! but cant stop thinking of all the things to do to get to Tenerife!) This will be the first realisation that our hard work for the past 4 years from online businesses has paid off. Is there any meetups in Tenerife for business owners?

Thanks Lynne & Lee!

Thanks Stoney, I will be straight onto that. Thats not too bad at all. Whats the fastest/realibility-est internet available? Is it via these guys? I'm not sure where to live in the interim whilst we look for somewhere as I'd like to see it, and since the hotel I used to stay at costs a bit and also doesn't accept children as of this year now (WTF?) I will need to try find somewhere for a few weeks without paying holiday rates! Any suggestions?! Thanks for the info on the guide and the agent fees, ill be very wary now. Wow - the sunset complex looks awesome - will look into that further! Where did you guys end up settling?

Thanks Again everyone!

CIM
22-08-2011, 17:56
Have a look at renting in Adeje Town first. It is very cheap there and once you have been here 3 to 6 months and have an idea of how much is coming in/going out every month you can upgrade if you need to. Lots of people come over and spend far too much on rental accommodation.

Good Post by APSS, have a good read through that and also this here which was written by a former member a number of years ago but is as true today as it was when it was written:
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?334-My-Tenerife-Survival-guide-for-new-and-wannabe-expats

I also work online/websites/SEO etc. Great business to be in right now!

Stoney
22-08-2011, 18:22
Hi, we had a 6 mg connection at The Sunset but only got about 4, they do promote a 10mg maybe if you contact them they will tell you what areas are available, send enquiry to www.direct-telecom.es. We stayed at The Sunset for 6 months very nice, but you do need a car, its ok walking down the hill but going back up is a different thing unless you are super fit. We are now in a private rental, through a friend. Have a look on Tenerife Lettings and Management or Tenerife Island Rentals, they usually have a few properties for rent. Good luck

A.P.&.S.S
22-08-2011, 18:31
Mike - thanks for the info. Its good to get someones first impressions of the first few months! Thats awesome the family are on their way now! We have just came to this decision last week and have nothing stopping us, no excuses anymore! Initially we said, okay let get everything in to place for next year then yesterday decided that was just another excuse too and we are just too comfortable in our lifes at the moment instead of getting what we really want. The excitement of knowing we are gonna be sitting doing our own business in the sunny climate of Tenerife is too much (i'm actually in the office at the moment! hehe! but cant stop thinking of all the things to do to get to Tenerife!) This will be the first realisation that our hard work for the past 4 years from online businesses has paid off. Is there any meetups in Tenerife for business owners?

Thanks Lynne & Lee!

Thanks Stoney, I will be straight onto that. Thats not too bad at all. Whats the fastest/realibility-est internet available? Is it via these guys? I'm not sure where to live in the interim whilst we look for somewhere as I'd like to see it, and since the hotel I used to stay at costs a bit and also doesn't accept children as of this year now (WTF?) I will need to try find somewhere for a few weeks without paying holiday rates! Any suggestions?! Thanks for the info on the guide and the agent fees, ill be very wary now. Wow - the sunset complex looks awesome - will look into that further! Where did you guys end up settling?

Thanks Again everyone!

Thanks Jimmy, I meant to mention, there are some important paperwork etc you will need to get in place when you arrive here, (NIE Residentia, Social Security etc). I have done all these over the past few months with VERY little spanish, I have found the Spanish are great people if we try......dont try, they dig their heels in and IMHO they are quite right, we have moved into their country so atleast try and speak the lingo. Do you have any Spanish, if not, PM me your email address and I'll send you some links etc to some really good on-line learning and also can give you a number of someone here my parents have used for interprenting.

Re the meeting up of busness in the area....well I really dont know, I seam to remember on the .com website something being organised but as I was only just here I was soupto my eyes I just overlooked it!! But hey maybe something we could sort out?? Maybe a monthly business meet up in a central small pub somewhere? beer and a chat;)? maybe an opertunity to help each other out?.......anyone up for it??

mossy
22-08-2011, 20:38
Good luck to you and us,we're actually moving there next week.Tenerife island rentals just contacted me about a 3 bed apartment in Los Cristianos for 700 eur a month,but we're already sorted till the end of the year it'll be worth looking into it.

londonjimmy
22-08-2011, 20:53
CIM - Thanks for that info mate. I think your dead on there, i will find something reasonable then re-assess what we actually need after a few months. I love the look of the sunset apartments, could be a good first base. Thats good news im not alone over there, I've been doing seo for the past few years and it fits in well with our main business which is a toy business but hopefully now with all this extra time be doing a bit more client work too. We should hook up for a beer when I get there!

Stoney - thats brilliant, thanks for that. I've just showed the missus all of the replies today and she can't believe how much i've been told in a day!!! :thanx: She is a bit confused about The Sunset, ie how can they look like that when its 650 euros per month!! What happens if they sell the apartments??

Thanks Again Mike! Just wondered something though, if we're not going to be working there in terms of any contracts or anything do we still need to register? Is there any benefit to register? Mike would love to set something like that up if its not already going!!

Also, just wondered if anyone had taken their car from Uk? I originally thought I would sell it then buy a new one but the missus thinks we should drive down to portugal for the ferry and stop off france, spain on the way.

Many Thanks for all your replies today....has made me feel brilliant!!

Cheers
James

Stoney
22-08-2011, 21:35
They are that good, we only left because our daughter decided to move back in with us and it meant we didn't have a spare room anymore, which stopped family visits. Very unlikely to sell one that has a tenant, like a lot of apartments built in the last 4 years, they are asking too much for them.

A.P.&.S.S
22-08-2011, 21:52
CIM - Thanks for that info mate. I think your dead on there, i will find something reasonable then re-assess what we actually need after a few months. I love the look of the sunset apartments, could be a good first base. Thats good news im not alone over there, I've been doing seo for the past few years and it fits in well with our main business which is a toy business but hopefully now with all this extra time be doing a bit more client work too. We should hook up for a beer when I get there!

Stoney - thats brilliant, thanks for that. I've just showed the missus all of the replies today and she can't believe how much i've been told in a day!!! :thanx: She is a bit confused about The Sunset, ie how can they look like that when its 650 euros per month!! What happens if they sell the apartments??

Thanks Again Mike! Just wondered something though, if we're not going to be working there in terms of any contracts or anything do we still need to register? Is there any benefit to register? Mike would love to set something like that up if its not already going!!

Also, just wondered if anyone had taken their car from Uk? I originally thought I would sell it then buy a new one but the missus thinks we should drive down to portugal for the ferry and stop off france, spain on the way.

Many Thanks for all your replies today....has made me feel brilliant!!

Cheers
James

Hi Jimmy, I supose the call would be yours if your paying all taxs etc in the UK and no earnings here that are taxable!! But if you dont pay in you dont get the healthcare so you would need personal private health insurance. You will need an NIE to buy property here or a car etc so you would need that coz I would not consider the drive here, it would be a great adventure and a great way to start your new life but there are large costs involved once you have the car here, there are threads on here about it as its a regular question. I sold my Mitsibushi back home and bought a van here, so much easier and the steering wheel is on the proper side?! lol My personal opinion is be legal in the country you live in and then no one can say a thing, there are millions on the island that in my opinion just duck under the wire.

Stoney
22-08-2011, 22:13
I had thought of bringing my car over two yrs ago, but in the end decided to sell because of all the add on costs.
You can get some good deals here for a new car at the minute, but you will need an NIE which you apply for at the Police Station and a contract for an apartment or house before you can purchase a vehicle. Be careful if you buy a second hand car its a minefield unless you buy from a reputable garage. The minute you change the details into your name you are responsible for all outstanding fines, finance payments, Tenerife road tax etc etc.

londonjimmy
22-08-2011, 23:32
Hey guys - thanks again for all this info.

Mike - We havent really thought about what the implications are yet in terms of taxation etc. I will need to speak to our accountant - i think he might be a bit shocked when we say we're upping sticks and going! lol! In regards to Healthcare we've just decided to do a private plan as im a bit nervous not having somthing like that with the two kids! My thoughts were we need to go back to London within 6 months anyways for business and could just drive back again then sell it, i think legally we can drive the car in Tenerife for up to 6 months on our current insurance in the UK, but will need to verify that as we would like to bring a trailer with some of our current stuff. My preference is to more mobile to be honest but the missus is saying we would need to buy kids bed/costs etc anyways when we get there. Ferry from Cadiz is £850 and takes 50HRS! Haha!

So we will register for for NIE and Residencia - what is the social security for?

Stoney - sending off email tonight to Sunset - Many thanks for that as I could have been 'surfing in circles' for a long time....wierdly enough Google doesnt have much coherent info on long term accomodation in tenerife to get a real picture. I'll need to see about the car/trailer thing!

I'm still buzzing about all this!!

AL JAY
22-08-2011, 23:39
Welcome to the forum Jimmy, Good luck to you and your family!

A.P.&.S.S
23-08-2011, 14:31
Hey guys - thanks again for all this info.

Mike - We havent really thought about what the implications are yet in terms of taxation etc. I will need to speak to our accountant - i think he might be a bit shocked when we say we're upping sticks and going! lol! In regards to Healthcare we've just decided to do a private plan as im a bit nervous not having somthing like that with the two kids! My thoughts were we need to go back to London within 6 months anyways for business and could just drive back again then sell it, i think legally we can drive the car in Tenerife for up to 6 months on our current insurance in the UK, but will need to verify that as we would like to bring a trailer with some of our current stuff. My preference is to more mobile to be honest but the missus is saying we would need to buy kids bed/costs etc anyways when we get there. Ferry from Cadiz is £850 and takes 50HRS! Haha!

So we will register for for NIE and Residencia - what is the social security for?

Stoney - sending off email tonight to Sunset - Many thanks for that as I could have been 'surfing in circles' for a long time....wierdly enough Google doesnt have much coherent info on long term accomodation in tenerife to get a real picture. I'll need to see about the car/trailer thing!

I'm still buzzing about all this!!

Hi Again Jimmy - I'm sure your accountant will be well happy for you, everyone I spoke to about our move before I came here said - Go for it, whats in the UK? And it is so true. You still have all the same worries, kids, work, wages, relationship etc etc but the life style is fantastic. Taking the kids down the beech at night after work for a nice walk, stoping of on the way back for a glass of....well what ever you fancy then getting them in bed and sitting out on the balcony till 12-1ish in 24deg heat, wearing very little......Ahhhhhh can life be any better? lol

Im not 100% sure about the car but we have an ITV here which is like the uk MOT, I dont know if you would have to matriculate your car here for a short period of time....sorry I really dont know but I do remember some members talking about this so do a search on the forum and I'm sure the answer will be there somewhere! Im sure if you have your own medical cover (private) and are not in the Spanish sytem due to all your dealings inthe UK there would be no need for you to have a Social Security No.? I will be stood corrected tho if Im wrong.

50hrs on a ferry with 2 young kids after a huge drive down through spain....Your a better man than me?! lol, I have a 4.5hr Ryanair flight to look forward to on the 4th Sept with my son at 4years old and am sooooo NOT looking forward to it, hopefully he'll sleep!!

Still for the car my advice to anyone would be sell in the UK and buy here, there are some good deals here, just look around or maybe someone heading from the island just needing a bit cash for theirs perhaps. Its so much easier and I'd say driving on the wrong side of the car here would be a nightmare?! lol.....Let me know when your finalised your plans and when your out, settled and we could catch up for a beer and exchange some stories about Tenerife so far?......kids could play in the park while we drink beer........you know, its the Spanish way?! lol

ddoyle
23-08-2011, 16:10
Try the ferry from Huelva, shorter trip than from Portimao only 25 hrs ferry does not stop off in Madiera. I have booked the ferry for the 15 th Oct for two adults and small dog total cost is €395. We decided to bring our car as it is not that expensive too transfer to Spanish plates contact Ashro Autos for advice very helpful. Good luck with the move.

londonjimmy
23-08-2011, 16:52
Hi Mike - I actually feel alive again.....corporate world has beaten the cr@p out of me the past couple of years. Everytime I blink i get a vision of myself on the beach! haha!

The missus is very keen on bringing some items over here so it needs to be the car, but im looking at a little box trailer and will drive through France, Spain and Portugal stopping off on the way for 8 days....we may as well enjoy it! So was thinking even if we bring car over, might drive back in a few months, sell it and then fly back. Don't think i like the idea of right hand over there. For sure, lets meet up, that is the brilliant thing about coming out there, making new friends and learning new ways of business too!

ddoyle - Thanks for the auto name, are you driving right hand in tenerife then? I ended up looking at Huelva for the 30hr trip - 25 would be a bonus. I'm not sure if the extra cost is because the trailer...! I've been quoted a price which said residents (€800) and non residente (€1000) Will keep looking further! On the ferry did you book a cabin or seats? I've got a 2.5year old and a 5 month old so thinking maybe extra cost for cabin might be worth it, although i would be happy with seat! We've done plane trip to oz with 1 year old! What company did you use for ferry?

Many Thanks!

James

londonjimmy
23-08-2011, 17:08
So it says on the Armas Ferry website - 2 Adults, 2 Kids + Medium car and Trailer with quad cabin is €1095 (General Tarrif) and same with a 'Pullman Seat' instead is €535. Know which one i prefer! lol! But what is a VIP Pullman seat, anyone experienced? It's €80 more expensive to book these seats. Anyways - i suppose its irrelevant, i wont win - cabin probably.

welsh wendy
23-08-2011, 22:16
Welcome to Tenerife Forum. :welcome: You will find loads of friends here and all the info you need. Good luck on your move Jimmy.:goodluck:

doreen
23-08-2011, 22:32

Thanks Again everyone!

Hi Jimmy - hope the move goes smoothly and it's great to see the good feedback you are getting on the Forum.

There are a few business organisations, but all Spanish speaking ... and you have got me thinking ... we have many business owners on here, so that is something the Forum should be able to organise - an English speaking Networking Meeting.

TIS
24-08-2011, 00:09
Hi Jimmy, and good on ya! Tried Aus myself, then Canada and ended up here 10 years ago. Now settled with twins of 4 and fab girlfirend, all supported by own business. As somebody else said - keep your nose clean, work hard and the better lifestyle works here in Tenerife - so welcome!

With your car another option would be to sell the car in UK before coming here and buy a lefthand drive car in the UK before you come over, because they are so cheap in UK. e.g. Just had a client organising the purchase of a 2 year old Ford Kuga, inc of shipping and transfer tax in to their name 8000€. Bargain.

For your Private Health insurance we can provide you with a wealth of info on the subject - we are agents for DKV ( the largest and best rated Private Health company according to recent independant Spanish survey) so can provide you with policy as self employed person for you and the family and they have a cracking offer for small businesses if you have a minimum of 5 people ( so you'll need either another employee or another wee one!!!). Have a look at our web site to see what we cover and let me know if you need specific info or prices (no obligation). For us, Tenerife is soooo much better than family roots of Nairn. Far to cold wind swept.

Also, living out of the "safe" havens where a lot of Brits start is better for the family - cheaper and better accomodation, easier to mix with locals and therefore pickup the language etc. So best to rent a place, get a true feel for the Island, but most importantly, DON'T stay in holiday mode for more than 2 weeks once you get here otherwise you'll never get into gear. I would say this is probably the biggest and simplest mistake made by people fresh to the island.

Most of all, approach each day with the vigor and enthusiasm that you seem to have now and you too will be a winner!

slodgedad
24-08-2011, 00:20
Hi Jimmy, and good on ya! Tried Aus myself, then Canada and ended up here 10 years ago. Now settled with twins of 4 and fab girlfirend, all supported by own business. As somebody else said - keep your nose clean, work hard and the better lifestyle works here in Tenerife - so welcome!

With your car another option would be to sell the car in UK before coming here and buy a lefthand drive car in the UK before you come over, because they are so cheap in UK. e.g. Just had a client organising the purchase of a 2 year old Ford Kuga, inc of shipping and transfer tax in to their name 8000€. Bargain.

For your Private Health insurance we can provide you with a wealth of info on the subject - we are agents for DKV ( the largest and best rated Private Health company according to recent independant Spanish survey) so can provide you with policy as self employed person for you and the family and they have a cracking offer for small businesses if you have a minimum of 5 people ( so you'll need either another employee or another wee one!!!). Have a look at our web site to see what we cover and let me know if you need specific info or prices (no obligation). For us, Tenerife is soooo much better than family roots of Nairn. Far to cold wind swept.

Also, living out of the "safe" havens where a lot of Brits start is better for the family - cheaper and better accomodation, easier to mix with locals and therefore pickup the language etc. So best to rent a place, get a true feel for the Island, but most importantly, DON'T stay in holiday mode for more than 2 weeks once you get here otherwise you'll never get into gear. I would say this is probably the biggest and simplest mistake made by people fresh to the island.

Most of all, approach each day with the vigor and enthusiasm that you seem to have now and you too will be a winner!

Just thought I'd highlight this as I think it will probably be the best bit of advice to anyone moving here,

ddoyle
24-08-2011, 08:49
Hi Londonjimmy,
We are doing the same as you we are taking 7or 8 days to get down to Huelva we are in no hurry. we looked at both ferrys and decided that the ferry from Huelva was the best option, it is a more modern ship with better facilities than the one from Portimao. We are taking the Ferry from Rosslare to Cherbourg with Celtic Link got a great deal with them €175 one way including a double berth cabin, we are using the pullman seats on the Huelva Ferry as we could not get a double cabin and don't fancy sharing a four berth cabin with strangers. My car is R H drive and I dont believe there will be much problem with driving in Tenerife as I have seen many many L H drive cars here in Ireland from Eastern Europe and they dont seem to have any problems driving here. Best of luck with the move.

Hi Mike - I actually feel alive again.....corporate world has beaten the cr@p out of me the past couple of years. Everytime I blink i get a vision of myself on the beach! haha!

The missus is very keen on bringing some items over here so it needs to be the car, but im looking at a little box trailer and will drive through France, Spain and Portugal stopping off on the way for 8 days....we may as well enjoy it! So was thinking even if we bring car over, might drive back in a few months, sell it and then fly back. Don't think i like the idea of right hand over there. For sure, lets meet up, that is the brilliant thing about coming out there, making new friends and learning new ways of business too!

ddoyle - Thanks for the auto name, are you driving right hand in tenerife then? I ended up looking at Huelva for the 30hr trip - 25 would be a bonus. I'm not sure if the extra cost is because the trailer...! I've been quoted a price which said residents (€800) and non residente (€1000) Will keep looking further! On the ferry did you book a cabin or seats? I've got a 2.5year old and a 5 month old so thinking maybe extra cost for cabin might be worth it, although i would be happy with seat! We've done plane trip to oz with 1 year old! What company did you use for ferry?

Many Thanks!

James

londonjimmy
24-08-2011, 14:03
Welsh Wendy - Thank You!

doreen - i've been blown away by the support of everyone and the information. Angie couldn't believe it when I started to tell her all of the answers to the questions we have! Really does some up the people in Tenerife!! It's made us so comfortable to know there is support there and people who have done it all before!! I think a networking meeting would be great! All businesses need support from the business communitiy and the learning that i've done at these events in London have been great! Would be extremely happy to help out with that!

TIS - Thanks for the advice! We're did you live in Australia? Angie is from Perth - i love it there too! thats got me thinking since its so close to coming over and ive just had our car motd and serviced, i will use this one, but maybe when we have settled after a couple of months, drive back, sell ours, pick up a left hand drive and then drive back again. With our new found freedom im sure we can do that and see places in europe we havent seen before! Thank you very much for the insurance details. Will definetley look through these and get back to you. Just out of curiosity, are we able to get insurance before we receive residentia?

<b>So best to rent a place, get a true feel for the Island, but most importantly, DON'T stay in holiday mode for more than 2 weeks once you get here otherwise you'll never get into gear. I would say this is probably the biggest and simplest mistake made by people fresh to the island.</b> Some of the best advice! I've already said to the missus that our real holiday is the 8 days down to Tenerife then we need to be back in to working mode and after 4 weeks or so, can relax a little more. I don't want to lose sight of how were managing to go to Tenerife in the first place....our business.

I don't know how I would be able to approach each day any differently living on beautiful Tenerife!! Thanks TIS!

ddoyle - I seen the ship and it looks much nicer from Huelva, with the quad cabin i think the kids are classed as travelling free, does that mean we will only pay for two tickets and have to share a quad cabin then? I thought that the rental of the quad is included in the €1095? Maybe not, i will check that out....Angie would not be a happy chappy! Just thinking the seats might be difficult with a 2.5yo and a 6month old... Did you need to check with insurance company about going over? Best of luck to you aswel mate! Let us know where you stopped off and any nice places!!

ddoyle
24-08-2011, 16:20
I would go for the cabin as well if I had children travelling with me, we missed out on the VIP recliners but will make do with the ordinary ones. I would agree with the advice you have been getting from members here re, holiday mode and don't rent in a holiday area there are plenty of lovely places outside the resorts and much cheaper to rent in. We have picked out some lovely places to stop off on our way down so we are really looking forward to the trip. I checked with my insurance company and there are no insurance issues re, going to Tenerife. Not sure if the children travel free but there is a contact number on the ARMAS website I found them very helpful with any questions I had they speak English.

KirstyJay
24-08-2011, 18:56
Have you looked at the RMS St Helena ship too? It goes from Portsmouth to Tenerife direct. I can't post a link this minute, but if you google it they have a website. Or look on the old forum, as I've posted info there about it too. http://old.tenerifeforum.com :)

KirstyJay
24-08-2011, 18:57
Have you looked at the RMS St Helena ship too? It goes from Portsmouth to Tenerife direct. I can't post a link this minute, but if you google it they have a website. Or look on the old forum, as I've posted info there about it too. http://old.tenerifeforum.com :)

Here it is. http://rms-st-helena.com/

And it goes from Portland, not Portsmouth. My mistake. :)

londonjimmy
25-08-2011, 09:39
KirstyJay! Thanks so much - have checked that out, gonna buzz them as they seem to do cargo which would mean we could sell the car here instead.

coffee
25-08-2011, 19:44
Have a look on Tenerife Lettings and Management or Tenerife Island Rentals, they usually have a few properties for rent. Good luck

Thanks for this, tenerife island rentals look to have a lot of rentals on their books. Does anyone know where their office is on tenerife? on the website there is an address, and a link to a google map, but the address isnt all that specific (just says the road which looks to be a long main road, no building number) and the google map seems to be pointing at a hospital? ive tried virtually 'wandering' around using google streetview but cant see anything?