PDA

View Full Version : Health Does anyone have any experience with Epilepsy in dogs?

Pets@Home
24-08-2011, 23:09
1186Hi Forum Doggie Members,

I am looking after a one year old Husky Cross for his Quarantine, since April, until 16th November
where he will go home on a 3 way flight share.

August 9th he started having fits, 3 in the night and 3 in the morning.
We urgently took him to our Vets and she gave him an injection.

We took him home and he had a further 7 fits, 2 in the night, 3 in the morning, 2 in the car and 1 in front of the vet.

The vet immediately put a canular into his vein and put a drip up to stop the fits.
She took a blood test and said they will be ready later today.
We took him back for another injection on the night and the blood tests were perfect.
She concluded that he must have develped epilepsy and we had another 6 injections day and night over the next 3 days.

He then went onto tablets twice per day, that is where we are at now.

My question does anyone have any experience in this department, and or what is their prolonged
quality of life.

The other question for those living in the UK are, the tablets cost us 5 euros for 50 tablets here, the owner is asking me how much will they be in the UK.

See above for an incredibly beautiful dog ............

caroletenerife
24-08-2011, 23:24
my friends dog has epilepsy, shes not on the forum but i shall ask her for info, i know the vet recommended he was neutered and he is on medication, he still has fits however. His case may not be relevant to yours though as he has brain damage and thats probably what set of the epilepsy in him, i will get back to you x

Added after 21 minutes:

My friend says her dog is on herbal epilepsy tablets, these are 26 euros for 2 months supply. Weather changes can trigger a fit, keep him cool and calm. If he is having a fit, he will NOT swallow his tongue, but keep away from his mouth incase he bites you during a fit. Make sure there is nothing he can bang his head on if you spot a fit coming on and scatter cushions about. The vet told her that with correct medication the condition is totally managable, her wee dog was having lots of fits all the time, but now only occasionally, she says having him neutered helped him hugely. The vet told her that it is scary to watch but the dog does not remember anything, but will sleep alot afterwards. Other dogs close to him can sense that a fit is imminent and may try to warn you or act strangely so look out for it. hope this helps xxx

Pets@Home
25-08-2011, 02:36
my friends dog has epilepsy, shes not on the forum but i shall ask her for info, i know the vet recommended he was neutered and he is on medication, he still has fits however. His case may not be relevant to yours though as he has brain damage and thats probably what set of the epilepsy in him, i will get back to you x

Added after 21 minutes:

My friend says her dog is on herbal epilepsy tablets, these are 26 euros for 2 months supply. Weather changes can trigger a fit, keep him cool and calm. If he is having a fit, he will NOT swallow his tongue, but keep away from his mouth incase he bites you during a fit. Make sure there is nothing he can bang his head on if you spot a fit coming on and scatter cushions about. The vet told her that with correct medication the condition is totally managable, her wee dog was having lots of fits all the time, but now only occasionally, she says having him neutered helped him hugely. The vet told her that it is scary to watch but the dog does not remember anything, but will sleep alot afterwards. Other dogs close to him can sense that a fit is imminent and may try to warn you or act strangely so look out for it. hope this helps xxx

Hi yes he was done the day before he came to me. He is however the son of a Brother and Sister, that might have something to do with it I dont know. He has had no fits since and is on tablets ....... will be coming to see u over the next few weeks with clothes for yr shop xxxxxxxx

caroletenerife
25-08-2011, 17:06
thanks so much, i hope he is feeling better, its hard for all dogs in this heat, even fasi is struggling and shes nearly bald xx