PDA

View Full Version : Driving licences in UK

Bobby
25-08-2011, 10:28
It is being suggested in the UK that a law is being considered that would take everybodys driving licence off them on reaching thier 75 birthday. Think of the problems for people living in rural areas with limited public transport. I wonder if human rights would help us OAP that fall in this age bracket?

BobMac
25-08-2011, 10:44
Don't think anyone needs to get their nickers in a twist on this

The article below is the only thing I can find talking about this and it is dated 22 July 2007

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1558124/Ruth-Kelly-considers-upper-age-limit-for-drivers.html

Andrzej
25-08-2011, 11:05
It is being suggested in the UK that a law is being considered that would take everybodys driving licence off them on reaching thier 75 birthday. Think of the problems for people living in rural areas with limited public transport. I wonder if human rights would help us OAP that fall in this age bracket?
Sorry, but I agree with stopping people driving who are over 75! Their reflexes are slower and they drive at 20mph! (35mph on a motorway!)
If I am lucky to reach that age I certainly don't intend to drive. There are enough idiots on the road as it is.....
And I appologise to all forum members who are over 75 for my opinion....:sorry:

emskie
25-08-2011, 11:20
My dad is 76 and still driving and working, if fact he drives the old folk around for the council. He has to have many tests yearly to make sure he is still fit to drive.

I have to say he is a better driver than some 20 year old we see on the road!!

bonitatime
25-08-2011, 11:42
I am not saying that tests shouldn't be made but I think this is appalling. I would prefer you didn't let young people drive until they were 25 as I feel they are much more dangerous.

Goforgold
25-08-2011, 12:03
I definitely think something needs to be done. I believe it should be an individual assessment as everyone 'ages' at different times and in different ways. At the moment in the UK it is down to the discretion of your GP and I am flabbergasted at who they are passing as fit to drive. My OH's father is one, he shouldn't be on the road, he doesn't want to drive anymore but his wife wants him to keep the car for emergencies!! My OH's brother even telephoned the doctor to speak to him about our concerns, and of course was told it was none of our business!!! The man can hardly move, can barely walk and has the reaction times of a tortoise!!! If he got onto The Expressway now, he'd never get off!!

We live in a rural area and it's the same situation here as in Birmingham. GP's passing these 'oldies' as fit to drive. I was watching this old man the other day tottering down to his car, he can barely walk, we call him Mr Magoo, every car he has, ends up with bumps, dents, scratches - he is definitely not 'fit' to drive - it's frightening!!!

However then there are all these 'druggies' that are on our roads too and I'm sorry to bring into question my sisterhood, but I don't know how some of these women have passed their tests!!

We've had this discussion before on the old forum and I seem to remember mentioning someone I worked with who would only go places where she did 'left hand' turns only. She moved to Birmingham but was able to go back up the M42 where she used to live to do her 'big shop' as it was all left turns all the way there and back!!!

There are so many road users that need turfing off our roads, not just the 'elderly'.

Excuse me if I'm being a bit sharp - had 2 hours sleep and feeling a bit 'itchy & scratchy!!! Plus I've just spent half an hour trying to de-tangle a rotary clothes line that the OH tangled up when putting it away!!! :( I got so fed up that in the end I turned it upside down, thinking that would help - that just wasn't the way to go!!! :spin:

BobMac
25-08-2011, 15:51
At the moment, don't you need to self-certify every three years from the age of 70 that you are fit to drive ??

Goforgold
25-08-2011, 16:00
Not sure of the age when you have to get your Doctor to certify you are fit - it could be 80 and over. I suppose I could Google it. :)