PDA

View Full Version : Important research about mobile phone usage on the forum : Please Vote

admin
25-08-2011, 12:11
Hi there folks,

We need to find out how many people actually access the forum via their mobiles and which mobiles they use, so I would appreciate it if you could vote in the poll on this thread.

If you are accessing this thread from a mobile and can't vote, please post you answer below.

Vortex Wake
25-08-2011, 12:14
Samsung Galaxy S Android :D
iPod Touch iOS 4.something

admin
25-08-2011, 12:15
Can you vote in the poll now then! :D As it's not multichoice, choose the OS you use most :)

Vortex Wake
25-08-2011, 12:16
Can you vote in the poll now then! :D

Now that you have bothered to put it up at last I will :D

admin
25-08-2011, 12:18
Be bothered? It actually take time to type after the post has published :p

murph
25-08-2011, 12:36
Use a Blackberry, but the forum is not that easy to navigate on it to be honest.

admin
25-08-2011, 12:41
Use a Blackberry, but the forum is not that easy to navigate on it to be honest.So, do you navigate on a normal browser.... or tapatalk? Basically, tapatalk gives a mobile interface, so it makes a difference to our research about mobile access of the forum if you access it on a mobile using the normal forum pages, as it might make it easire for you if there was a mobile interface you could use. :)

Tapatalk is available for blackberry : http://www.tapatalk.com/bb/

cynophilia
25-08-2011, 12:44
BlackBerry, but only when I get a notification that I have a replay on a tread.

SuzyQ
25-08-2011, 12:53
Voted safari on iPhone :)

murph
25-08-2011, 12:54
So, do you navigate on a normal browser.... or tapatalk? Basically, tapatalk gives a mobile interface, so it makes a difference to our research about mobile access of the forum if you access it on a mobile using the normal forum pages, as it might make it easire for you if there was a mobile interface you could use. :)

Tapatalk is available for blackberry : http://www.tapatalk.com/bb/

Hi

Just normal web browser, and that's through other peoples wifi when I am on the island. :whistle:

Hadn't heard of Taptalk to be honest - will give it a go

Vortex Wake
25-08-2011, 12:59
Be bothered? It actually take time to type after the post has published :p

Hence my first post as there was no poll at that time :D

Pooh
25-08-2011, 13:23
Android using normal browser, but only occasionally, if there is something I really need to check or reply to when I'm out.

canarybird
25-08-2011, 13:26
I don't own a mobile phone. Bought one over six months ago and still haven't made a call.

Use my desk phone or Skype from my computer at home when I need to make a phone call.

Canarybird

chocaholic
25-08-2011, 13:47
YES would love app for Iphone for forum. I read it through safari on iphone

YOUNG GOLFER
25-08-2011, 13:54
Well behind the times me...............just use the computers at home or work.

Angusjim
25-08-2011, 13:58
Well behind the times me...............just use the computers at home or work.

At last YG something we agree about I am with you my Luddite friend :agree:

doreen
25-08-2011, 14:12
Hadn't heard of Taptalk to be honest - will give it a go

I have to admit, I hadn't a clue as to what Tapatalk was until it was mentioned here a month or so ago - I find it great for the Forum - just no thanks button ;)

emmess
25-08-2011, 15:36
I replied no - but I do access it through my ipod touch sometimes - just normal browser though, not tapatalk.

Davie Thistle
25-08-2011, 16:42
...yup, Safari on Iphone,
an app would be majik!

:jumping:

doreen
25-08-2011, 16:49
Just think ... you could be using this phone soon to read the Forum ;) (sorry, couldn't find the iPhone thread :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV74PNv0LcM&feature=player_embedded

admin
25-08-2011, 17:03
YES would love app for Iphone for forum. I read it through safari on iphonewww.tapatalk.com ;) It's installed on the forum, just download it for your iPhone from the app store :)

Vortex Wake
25-08-2011, 17:10
Just think ... you could be using this phone soon to read the Forum ;) (sorry, couldn't find the iPhone thread :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV74PNv0LcM&feature=player_embedded

And here is the battery for it .............

http://www.dcbattery.com/rollsbigred2.jpg

bonitatime
25-08-2011, 18:32
More iften than not I check the forum on taptalk on Iphone but if I want to open a thread i tend either to open Safari or wait untill I have access to a desktop/laptop computer

waveydavey
25-08-2011, 18:57
Don't have a mobile but I use Win 7

Ecky Thump
25-08-2011, 19:09
I don't even phone the wife on my moblie phone.;)

Saltnpepper
25-08-2011, 19:22
never access the internet on my mobile

Margaretta
25-08-2011, 20:01
I hope we won't be beseiged by adverts and junk mail. I just like sitting with my laptop while watching TV. No complications thank you.

conway
25-08-2011, 20:21
I could but I don't, I mostly always have internet access using a desktop or a laptop.

karinagal
25-08-2011, 20:48
I use Tapatalk on my iPhone and iTouch but haven't been able to access the forum at all on it today. Use Tapatalk when I'm on my break at work or in social situations when I'm the nominated driver, am bored out of my skull and need a diversion or I would top myself....!

Terrynsue
25-08-2011, 21:19
Tapatalk,iphone,safari,what are you lot on about ,total confusion in this household, we have only just learnt how to log in,i need a dorado buit got to wait till Oct

Vortex Wake
25-08-2011, 21:26
Well the mobile template seems to work :)

But where is the 'new posts' tab ?

btw , private message inbox did not allow loading of new message.

skin12089
26-08-2011, 00:25
dont have a mobile phone did not see a section for this

admin
26-08-2011, 01:10
Well the mobile template seems to work :)

But where is the 'new posts' tab ?

btw , private message inbox did not allow loading of new message.

I'm still working on it. Seems like it's a bug, so it may be disabled again tomorrow until they fix it.

slodgedad
26-08-2011, 01:53
dont have a mobile phone did not see a section for thisAt the bottom of the poll it says 'other'

You have already replied

dede
26-08-2011, 12:11
I use Android with my normal browser but since yesterday it has changed on my screen and i cant get who posts, or who was the last poster, or the full screen..... any suggestions??

Vortex Wake
26-08-2011, 12:42
I use Android with my normal browser but since yesterday it has changed on my screen and i cant get who posts, or who was the last poster, or the full screen..... any suggestions??

Got to the bottom and press 'fullsite'

admin
26-08-2011, 12:46
Right... I have now installed a mobile style to the 'normal' forum, which should make it easier to navigate and read.
I have added a 'what's new' button, which is the little question mark at the top like this : 1201

Still working on it, so please be patient. If you don't want to use it, then you can get off it by scrolling to the bottom and clicking 'fullsite' as vortex wake said in the post directly before mine :)

dede
26-08-2011, 12:52
I can still only see one post and dont know who has posted it, but thanks i will still click the fullsite like you said for now,

callaopam
26-08-2011, 20:29
I only use my phone for phone calls and texts!

MaxineC
26-08-2011, 22:45
Have all the 'mod cons', iphone, laptop etc, but don't bother with the forum on my phone... I'm not that desperate to need to know what's going on when I'm not at my laptop. Maybe if I was in a place where I couldn't access it for any length of time I may feel differently, but not enough where I felt it necessary to pay for an app. Most of the people I want to keep up with on a regular basis are on facebook and/or twitter, and those apps are free...

slodgedad
26-08-2011, 22:51
Have all the 'mod cons', iphone, laptop etc, but don't bother with the forum on my phone... I'm not that desperate to need to know what's going on when I'm not at my laptop. Maybe if I was in a place where I couldn't access it for any length of time I may feel differently, but not enough where I felt it necessary to pay for an app. Most of the people I want to keep up with on a regular basis are on facebook and/or twitter, and those apps are free...Maybe not, but this thread is about people who do.

We need to know how people access so we can improve the service.

KirstyJay
26-08-2011, 22:54
but not enough where I felt it necessary to pay for an app. Also, no one mentioned PAYING for an app ;) The point of this thread is to make life BETTER for forum members without them having to pay for it.... rewards for loyalty and contributions, rather than requiring payment.

However... the results so far are quite interesting.... I'm not really so interested in who uses the forum to browse right now, but who has the capability to.... i.e. those that have mobile internet enabled smartphones. Those that already use the forum on their phones will obviously be the first to use such technology, however anyone that's ABLE to get the forum on their mobile will benefit from my plans....

Currently we have : CAN 178 / 155 CAN'T.... Well over 50% can, and that figure will rise over time as technology is improved and phones upgraded.

I've been working on something all day just for that reason. It shall hopefully be clear to all pretty soon, as I want to get it finished before I go back to school :)

Loaded
26-08-2011, 23:41
Tapatalk is ace, can't imagine having to use the forum on safari or other mobile phone browser.

MaxineC
26-08-2011, 23:50
Also, no one mentioned PAYING for an app ;) The point of this thread is to make life BETTER for forum members without them having to pay for it.... rewards for loyalty and contributions, rather than requiring payment.

However... the results so far are quite interesting.... I'm not really so interested in who uses the forum to browse right now, but who has the capability to.... i.e. those that have mobile internet enabled smartphones. Those that already use the forum on their phones will obviously be the first to use such technology, however anyone that's ABLE to get the forum on their mobile will benefit from my plans....

Currently we have : CAN 178 / 155 CAN'T.... Well over 50% can, and that figure will rise over time as technology is improved and phones upgraded.

I've been working on something all day just for that reason. It shall hopefully be clear to all pretty soon, as I want to get it finished before I go back to school :)

If it's free, I'll take it and use it... :D

Obviously mis-read the original post... Sorry if it upset anybody! :rolleyes:

EDIT: Re-read and voted... I'm in the 2nd most popular catergory - hoorah! :heyhey:

poker
27-08-2011, 00:38
www.tapatalk.com ;) It's installed on the forum, just download it for your iPhone from the app store :)

Also for android!
Available on market or dl. from other sourses.
I use it a lot to cheq several forums on my galaxy tab. .

Sent using Tapatalk.

murph
27-08-2011, 00:49
Right... I have now installed a mobile style to the 'normal' forum, which should make it easier to navigate and read.
I have added a 'what's new' button, which is the little question mark at the top like this : 1201

Still working on it, so please be patient. If you don't want to use it, then you can get off it by scrolling to the bottom and clicking 'fullsite' as vortex wake said in the post directly before mine :)

I now have a blank screen on my Blakberry when I visit the forum on my phone's browser, with no access to the Forum whatsoever!

slodgedad
27-08-2011, 00:57
I now have a blank screen on my Blackberry when I visit the forum on my phone's browser, with no access to the Forum whatsoever!Admin has already stated that there may be some interuptions in mobile accessibility until it is completely sorted, hence the original post and poll.

Gfplux
27-08-2011, 14:16
I use my ipad2 to access the forum as well as most things.
Having had my iPad since May my Netbook, laptop and desktop have got very lonely.
I have an iphone4 but find the screen far too small to browse the net.
In addition the iPad IS THE ONLY electronic devise my wife is interested in.

murph
27-08-2011, 14:29
Admin has already stated that there may be some interuptions in mobile accessibility until it is completely sorted, hence the original post and poll.

Apologies if it looked like a moan, it was more about feedback!

KirstyJay
27-08-2011, 14:36
Apologies if it looked like a moan, it was more about feedback!Thanks for your feedback. Is it working for you now?

murph
27-08-2011, 14:44
Thanks for your feedback. Is it working for you now?

No Nothing :(

golazzo
27-08-2011, 14:44
Currently read the forum on my iPad 2. Along with tapatalk when on the move

KirstyJay
27-08-2011, 19:43
No Nothing :(I need access to a blackberry....! :D

poker
28-08-2011, 09:08
tapatalk not working since yesterday for the moment . I get error 2 or something.
My other forums work on tapatalk ?

Vortex Wake
28-08-2011, 11:05
tapatalk not working since yesterday for the moment . I get error 2 or something.
My other forums work on tapatalk ?
Working for me today.

Yesterday it was off - however I was in a poor signal area.

poker
28-08-2011, 12:10
Fixt again now .
So no problem via tapatalk now but i' m sure it was of as my other forums on tapatalk were working?

Sent using Tapatalk.

admin
28-08-2011, 22:10
Fixt again now .
So no problem via tapatalk now but i' m sure it was of as my other forums on tapatalk were working?

Sent using Tapatalk.
Well, nothing has been done by us on tapatalk...

murph
29-08-2011, 01:05
I need access to a blackberry....! :D

You can have mine if you like it's bloody $*!"1£

Oh and still not able to get on the Forum!

karinagal
29-08-2011, 01:08
Well, nothing has been done by us on tapatalk...

I think I know whats causing the problem on Tapatalk - when admin puts the message saying that they want you to read a thread, tapatalk responds by blocking access to the forum. The only way to clear it is to view it in safari or other browser, view the thread and then access again via tapatalk. Happened to me yesterday and tonight..

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Graceylacey
29-08-2011, 10:40
AS of this morning my tapatalk is still blocking me from this forum, and yet the others I go on are working perfectly.. Help, I prefer using tapatalk as I can get to the threads I have participated in easier than on here!!!! NO idea how to do that quickly on here anymore!! :confused:

MaxineC
29-08-2011, 12:33
I need access to a blackberry....! :D

Why, so you can see first hand how crap they are... :D

Bob
29-08-2011, 15:55
have a HTC desire S but do not access the forum with it. I suppose if there is a hot topic i may in the future, but i prefer to access the forum from the comfort of my laptop :)

KirstyJay
29-08-2011, 18:44
Anyone that has a mobile that CAN access the forum, whether you do or not at the moment, can you please do so and test the new mobile style I've installed. I need to know as much feedback as possible from people with different models of phones.

I already know it works on iPhone 2 and 4 :)

murph
30-08-2011, 13:24
Anyone that has a mobile that CAN access the forum, whether you do or not at the moment, can you please do so and test the new mobile style I've installed. I need to know as much feedback as possible from people with different models of phones.

I already know it works on iPhone 2 and 4 :)

Still got blank screen on the Blackberry. Out of interest, I loaded up another forum which worked fine so not entirely sure what's gone wrong here.

Vortex Wake
31-08-2011, 19:17
This is what the vB forum app looks like.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/50074abc-7a96-6fe9.jpg

http://tapatalk.com/mu/50074abc-7aa3-f754.jpg

I am not a train spotter .

KirstyJay
31-08-2011, 19:23
And this is what the TF forum app should look like at present ;)

http://tenerifeforum.org/promo/photo1.jpg

http://tenerifeforum.org/promo/photo3.png

Vortex Wake
31-08-2011, 19:27
If its not available at the app store then its not an app ;)

admin
01-09-2011, 19:36
If its not available at the app store then its not an app ;)VB Forum app cost 199$, mobile version of the forum was free to install and we have customised it to our needs. ;)

If you want to buy the app for us, be my guest... however at the moment we are not prepared to pay for it, as it does nothing different than the current forum and the mobile suite is buggy as hell at present. Ive been reading the VB Boards.

Once they get their act together and it actually has functionality that makes it worth buying, then we probably will.

:)

Clicker
03-09-2011, 18:35
I use an I phone 4 occasionally

COL NIL SATIS
03-09-2011, 22:28
Will see what one we have installed on our site Kirsty,ours is viewable by Tapatalk,Android,IPhone etc ,will see if its different from the one you guys have installed,ours works A1

it may help ....Will find out what one it is

Added after 1 27 minutes:

http://www.tapatalk.com/

may be the same one !!

Topacciolo
04-09-2011, 01:35
iPhone 4! Using taptalk even later it doesn't work. Any idea why?

Gfplux
04-09-2011, 06:35
Am I to understand that viewing the forum on apps like Tapaptalk is a better experience than using safari on my iphone?
I have looked at tapatalk and find this is a paid for app.
I will definitely NOT pay for an app to view any forum. Even if it is a better experience. I will just not view the forum on my phone.
Using Safari on my ipad gives me a good experience of this forum.

KirstyJay
04-09-2011, 10:11
It is ;) Tapatalk does not allow viewing of the CMS though, which is why we looked at the mobile skin. The app also does not have good compatibility with the CMS either, so what's the point. :)

Dunno why they release stuff that still have loads of bugs!!! :rolleyes:

Am I to understand that viewing the forum on apps like Tapaptalk is a better experience than using safari on my iphone?
I have looked at tapatalk and find this is a paid for app.
I will definitely NOT pay for an app to view any forum. Even if it is a better experience. I will just not view the forum on my phone.
Using Safari on my ipad gives me a good experience of this forum.

I agree, it should not really be paid. Tapatalk works on any forum that's got it installed, which makes it good for people that go on multiple forums. I bought it, as I use it for modding too, however I really don't see why members should have to purchase a 3rd party app to get mobile functionality of a free forum. The forum does not even get anything for it...

I would much prefer to have to mobile usage free for all to enjoy. :)

Topacciolo
04-09-2011, 11:54
I understand that taptalk it's not perfect but to navigate the forum it's much much better. From a PC or an iPad it's pointless to have something like this but for an iPhone use it makes a massive difference!!
On safari you normally have to zoom in and out, you touch the wrong link al the time and it very annoying. This is not the forum's fault, it's just not done to suit a small screen device and taptalk helps to make it user friendly. I was more then satisfied with the product and again consider that it doesn't cost a fortune.

Topacciolo

crazychris
06-09-2011, 13:33
i have been in the UK since April so i'v not been on the Forum, but will definitely be using it on my phone when i come back end of Oct